Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MisterBibs posted:

My Marvel understanding is suspect, but I recall reading that Galactus is inherently anti-Celestial because Celestials are seeded into the cores of planets as part of their development cycle, and G's inherent need to consume planets basically keeps the Celestial numbers down.

Remove G, and instead of X Celestials that may or may not decide to destroy everything on a whim, you'd have X*1000. He's an apex predator that you hate to see him operate, but you don't dare remove him from the ecosystem.

I think that's just in the Earth/Universe/Paradise X series which isn't necessarily the marvel universe as we generally know it. And which starts out interesting but sort of disappears up its own arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yes, the movie will also have an invisible ghost that writes terrible fanfiction.

Your Ghostwriter reboot sounds poo poo, to be honest.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

He doesn't? He very clearly isn't aware of everything. He has a dream of a woman kinda luring him that way but that's all. When they first get to the EH he goes crawling in the air ducts / jeffrey's tubes around the engine in order to fix some circuit that shorted, and he gets stuck alone in there and he starts hallucinating like crazy and he's very clearly disturbed by it. He's just going along to rescue his project ship, which has been missing for years. This is his first chance to find out what happened to his dream project.

Wasn't his dead wife on board the ship originally and he's trying to get back to her or something? Or was that just the sentient spirit of the ship the whole time? I guess I never really thought about it, and that makes more sense. He seems to recognize her though?

Its just that once poo poo gets really hosed, his response to it is the opposite of the rest of the crew's.

I'm pretty sure his wife killed herself prior to the film and wasn't anywhere near the ship.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rurea posted:

It didn't happen, sassassin is just a lovely poster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day

Totally did happen, was poo poo.

Edit: Answering a guy asking about daredevil with info on a lovely spider-man storyline, I am the worst.

Fil5000 has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Apr 21, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda miss radio plays. Sometimes I leave the TV on when I'm tired and lay down and just listen to it, but you miss certain details.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ do a lot of radio play type things. They're best known for their Doctor Who stuff (which is the bulk of what they do), but they do a ton of other stuff now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I definitely multi-task my TV watching most of the time.

It also makes it hard to watch foreign films or anime. Normally I don't even notice the subtitles, but if you're not watching the screen you're sure going to notice not understanding the dialogue!

Its interesting how some shows are more visual while others you can get by really well on just the audio.
Law & Order is pretty predictable that way, I can just throw it on in the background and follow the plot perfectly without ever looking at what's going on.

Is that just because most police procedurals follow the same plot every time anyway? Crime -> Clues -> Interview -> Red Herring -> Interview -> Damning Evidence -> Chase -> Arrest -> Quips?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Taeke posted:

I don't know if I'd say "based on" because I think it's more like convergent evolution. Different starting points (in this case real tech and sci-fi tech) getting to roughly the same point through different paths. That doesn't mean that current technology like tablets is based on Star Trek, but rather that the creators of Star Trek were imaginative enough to take things to a logical conclusion and the real world did the same, without the two being directly connected enough to say that one was based on the other.

I like that in Trek they got the right idea with tablets but they sort of missed the point by having Picard sat there with huge stacks of them on his desk.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Agents of Shield introduced the main cast by having them invite a bunch of south american militares into their base, only to be shocked when this plan turned out poorly. Then one of the main characters was raped and nobody seemed to really mind.

Hang on, where did that happen? I mostly watched this while doing other things so wasn't giving it 100% attention but I don't remember THAT.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks for the reminder that there will never be a nextwave movie :smith:

You think it'll be a Netflix original series then? I mean come on, the theme is already written.

Also no Vinnie Jones as the captain is from loving Brooklyn.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

There was that young Indy show in the 90s. I've never seen it though. I don't know if it was any good.

I don't remember it being particularly action oriented. It's stuff like him meeting George Gershwin and learning to play the trumpet jazz style. And it's set in the 1900s-20s so it's well before any cool OSS stuff.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LeJackal posted:

Oh gosh, I could list about a thousand movies and tv shows where lazy writers ignored the notion of fail-safe ystems and just made every single thing fail-deadly.

My personal ur-example is Star Trek, in just about everything from exploding consoles that kill bridge crew to that Satan-spawn warp core. Better not turn on the coffee maker and the microwave at the same time in the crew lounge, or the warp core actively tries to skullfuck the ship to death in a bizarre murder-suicide.

The best thing about Star Trek in this respect is there's one episode where they note that Data bypassed seven separate safety interlocks to cut off the oxygen supply to the bridge. Yes, every single console on the bridge is wired to an explosion generator, the inertial dampeners don't work properly, the transporters can sometimes kill you or duplicate you, but we septupled up on the oxygen security.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

To be fair, you can cope with falling over when the ship turns a lot more easily than you can breathe in deep space.

Yeah, but maybe if you're going to make sure you can always breathe you could also make sure the equipment your bridge crew have to sit next to are plugged into surge protectors.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Actually it is a very progressive movie because the marines don't care about gender when they gently caress Arcturians

Apparently that was improvised as well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Gremlins:
What if they are eating and get something stuck in their teeth? Like a poppy seed or whatever. If it's still there at midnight do they transform? What if they are eating in a plane at 11 pm and cross a time zone? Does that count?

More importantly when does "after midnight" end? Sunrise? 6am?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

Crime TV shows that never bring backup for the important bits.

I've seen it happen in plenty of CSI episodes, whenever they finally track the real bad guy down it's always one or two people who will be on the scene.

But whenever it's a herring they always bring a drat platoon of people.

Also, in the show Criminal minds, 80% of the time the show is in a world where nobody has decent lightning, like everything is dark and nobody turns a drat light on.

It's funny that the csi pilot goes the other way on this and has one of the csi's get killed by a suspect that was hiding in the scene they were processing. Because later on every csi is carrying a gun and showing up to serve warrants.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I dunno, I thought I saw some astonishment from him after he discovered that Shaw had performed her...unexpected medical procedure. And he seemed to be beaming with pride when he said "Hi!" to the grumpy alien. Though I suppose that could just be programming: "Humans will expect you to behave this way when you see something amazing so pretend to be surprised ok"

The point is that he clearly DOES have emotions but the crew (and douchebag archaeology man in particular) either a) think he doesn't or b) don't care because he's a machine so they treat him like poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Prometheus's main problem is there were no likable characters.

If you didn't like "accordion playing space captain who slacks off to have sex with charlize theron" then I dunno what to tell you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Did they ever explain why she had sex with Idris Elba

I mean in universe. Obviously in real life everyone wants to have sex with Idris Elba

I dunno, I can't think of a reason why two hot people might want to have sex.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

syscall girl posted:

If you put cancer or 9/11 references in you get an extra 45 minutes.

Sad but true.

Cancer/ 9/11 movies have actually killed a lot of people from blood clots because they felt guilty about getting refills on their drinks or draining the lizard.

Does that mean if you put both in you can run all the way up to three and a quarter hours?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

There was a wookie in the thrawn books that had a speech impediment that made him easier for non wookies to understand. That was pretty dumb.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Right but my point is more that he worked on all these massive longterm projects all in the same 10 year span or w/e. It's the sheer quantity of them rather than that they all happen to connect to them. I think I wasn't expecting a formulaic serial I thought it was a bit more highbrow. I don't mean in a pretentious way I just mean I thought it was a different type of show, I like loads of serials!

It moves away from the formulaic stuff partway through season 1. It's worth persevering.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Marathon Man is William goldman I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Slime posted:

I think the idea was to basically use them to kill everything on the whole drat planet. Presumably the xenos would die after they killed everything, or W-Y would develop some sort of control system to kill them off once they were done. Genetically engineer them to have limited lifespans, or make a virus or something that they all carry that kills them at a certain point, something like that.

One of the comics shows that they'll self parasitise if there's no other life forms so waiting for them to die off will take a gently caress of a long time. Everything else results in the experimenters getting horribly murdered by aliens.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I mean I guess you could synthesise useful hazmat gear out of whatever their bodies are made of given they resist acid so well, and the face hugger can synthesise oxygen somehow so that's useful. There's all kinds of useful poo poo you could extrapolate from their biology but oops everyone's dead because uh life uh uh finds a way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Get a face hugger, infect someone, catch the chest burster (as they're small enough to not be a threat) and plant a small bomb in its skull. Then drop it on a planet, let it kill everyone, and then detonate the bomb.

For bigger planets, release a horde of face huggers that have a genetically engineered lysine deficiency.

Except a single alien won't be able to murder everyone in the world. gently caress, it didn't manage to murder a ship full of truckers. That's even if you ignore the eggmorphing stuff from the directors cut. It's loving hilarious how many different ways the various corporations decide they're going to somehow use the aliens in the comics and everyone just gets eaten and face hugged.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

syscall girl posted:

I always thought it was odd that they'd send a giant space navy vessel like the Sulaco to make *holds pinky to mouth* millions of dollars.

Likewise at Ripley's debriefing when the lady accuses her of detonating the engines of and thereby destroying a spacecraft worth *something something less than the cost of a B2 bomber*

Seriously screwed up numbers for a gigantic mining vessel like that.

Giant space navy vessel with roughly 15 people on board as well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

I actually stopped watching one episode into S5 because it went from cool pseudoscience X-Files with alternate universes to dumb boring dystopian future and it was incredibly jarring. It felt like it should have ended at the end of S4 when they stopped the universes from shattering but nooooooo, had to keep going and make the Observers evil or some poo poo and it just stopped working for me.

fe: also real-universe Olivia is a cardboard cutout and I would totally rather watch a paranormal cop procedural about Fauxlivia and Alt-Linc or The Walter/Peter/Astrid Show

S5 gets kinda fun when the crew start using all the fringe science stuff to be terrorists and basically become David Robert Jones .

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Throwing Turtles posted:

No she told him to kill half of everybody to prove his love for her, he took a shortcut by getting his hands on the infinity gauntlet and wishing half of everybody dead. This doesn't impress her so he decides to turn of omnipotence for a giant melee against all the still living super heroes.

This is the movie they are making next.

Death is truly the Shania Twain of the Marvel Universe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Speaking of head trauma, didn't they do a fire extinguisher on some mook's head last season?

Like a multi story drop from a stairwell onto his head. Woke up a few hours later to be "questioned" on the roof.

I will say, that BING noise that they use for the billy club bouncing off skulls is amazing.

The cracks and crunches in season one frequently made me wince. The sound design is solid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Uncle Ben travels back in time to prevent his own death but loses his memory, becomes a robber and murders himself. This breaks the universe and so it resets itself and the cycle begins again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How has that not already happened somehow in the comics?

It probably has. Everything ELSE has. Spidey sold his marriage to the devil to save aunt may from death and Gwen Stacy birthed the bastard twin offspring of Norman Osbourne for fucks sake.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm partial to Edward Nigma.

Didn't they go back and change that one?

Fake Edit: Yeah, wiki says they revised it to Edward Nashton. gently caress knows why, dude wears a bright green suit covered in question marks, who cares that his real name is dumb?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

It's like they made a late-era Roger Moore film with an enormous modern day budget/special effects.... except that should have ruled and instead what we got was.... what we got..... :cripes:

The fact that Brosnan was talking it up as being a real character piece for Bond makes it all even worse. Poor guy, he got the same number of good films as Dalton but he did twice as many.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Moore had live and let die aka the most racist and rapey bond.

Thunderball is the rapiest Bond, without question. In Live and Let Die he tricks a woman into sleeping with him with a loaded deck of cards. in Thunderball he threatens to get a woman in trouble over something she didn't do unless she lets him gently caress her in a sauna.

ITT we discuss which Bond is objectively the worst human being.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Indeed. That scene and the awful hillbilly sheriff aside, Live and Let Die is a fun ride. At least Moore isn't sleepwalking through it like Connery was in his last few.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh yeah, there's a loving irritating moment - that redneck hillbilly sherrif they thought was so goddamn funny, they brought him back for another movie.

SE-CRIT AY-GENT?

OHN WHOOOOSE SAAAHD?!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Did Brosnan have any rapey moments? I'm pretty sure Dalton didn't. Unless you count him tearing off a woman's blouse to use her boobs as a distraction for some guards.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

Actually, he's Finnish. The entire concept of "Korea" was actually invented by the media as part of a marketing campaign for a failed sitcom. Nobody remembers the sitcom, but in an ironic twist, everyone remembers the fictional country made to market it!

I'm pretty sure everyone remembers After M*A*S*H, dude.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Batman Forever managed to hit the really weird tone it was shooting for and still be entertaining. It's a shame Batman and Robin missed it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

How does Burke get the facehuggers to Ripley's sleeping quarters in Aliens? They look pretty heavy, and I don't think any of the marines would help him. And how come they didn't attack him when he released them?

I'm 90% sure there'll be a comic or novel somewhere that explains this.