Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

BrigadierSensible posted:

My favourite joke in it will always be:
"Who does Number 2 work for?"
"That's right buddy, you show that turd who's boss!"
:itwaspoo:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm a sucker for Doctor Evil's monologue about his upbringing.
The best part is the one-line callback to it later in the film.

Also I just learned that the therapist is Carrie Fisher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

IIMM: It's really a shame that Princess and the Frog drags so much in the middle, because the beginning and end are a lot of fun. The setting is great too - 1920's New Orleans, except magic is real and people are just like "yeah that makes sense". It also follows the classic Disney tradition of having a great villain song, along with a classic (?) brutal villain death (he's dragged to hell along with his implied-to-be-sentient shadow while voodoo dolls and floating heads sing his own theme song back at him)

Oh, another one: It has both a terrible side character (the loving firefly) and a great one (the gator who really just wants to play jazz).

oldpainless posted:

Also reminder that Jason Stathams cameo in Collateral is meant to be the Transporter.
The Mercenary Cinematic Universe.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nah it's actually fine and Ray isn't even that bad.
I mean, I liked it overall, I just thought a couple parts were slow. Once they got back into 'Nawlins it picked back up. I will concede that maybe I need to rewatch it though!

Also I will reiterate how great the gator (who I just remembered was amusingly named Louis :doh: ) was. His character arc was basically I'm a gator who just wants to trumpet in a jazz band -> hey these humans are letting me into a band cause they think I'm in costume -> oops, revealed I'm actually a talking gator -> now in a jazz band again for real this time, even though I'm not even pretending to be human anymore, and everyone's OK with that

Crowetron posted:

Maguire was a good Peter Parker but a bad Spiderman whereas Garfield was a good Spiderman but a bad Parker.
This is the best way of summing up all those movies I've heard.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just rewatched Rise of Skywalker with a friend who hadn't seen it before and it's just worse than I had remembered and I am going to rant about it.
I went in to Rise hoping for another Episode III situation, aka "yeah the previous two movies were a mess, but maybe this one will be decent enough to tie up the trilogy well enough", which Ep III did in my opinion. Then three seconds into the movie I'm taken completely out of it with PALPATINE'S BACK BABY AROOO! which is so stupid a twist I still can't believe that's what they went with.

The even worse part is that there are parts I genuinely liked! The duel by the ocean looks stylish and cool as hell, for example! Something interesting or with potential would happen, and then the movie would immediately undercut it somehow. They had Hux threaten to have a little depth to his character (he's maybe not a true believer and just wants to save his own rear end? he got pushed aside by the new kids and wants to get them back by any means? had a change of heart entirely?). Before anything can develop from this, he just gets murked and the movie moves on, never mentioning him again. Why even bother??

theironjef posted:

That's a huge aspect of all those fuckin books though in the Sun Crusher so I assume they wanted to avoid having a million dorks ask when Kyp Durron was going to show up.
A reminder that that book trilogy was written by Kevin J. Anderson. Yes, that one.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Mierenneuker posted:

And if you thought the first Species already was all about loving and reproducing, whoo-whee, Species II is a sequel for you!
As they say, big nips big life

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

HopperUK posted:

Surely it doesn't matter, since he can poop with strength enough to fire that thing back out again like a harpoon.
What an incredible website this is.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kind of tangential to the Alien discussion of the past few pages, I saw Pitch Black for the first time recently, and actually quite liked most of it! Great use of lighting/color/darkness (how appropriate), pacing, character development, and a constant sense of tension. It reminded me a lot of Alien, and it probably could have been just as good with some tweaks and also a non-shoestring budget. I also laughed when I realized Claudia Black was in it, because I couldn't not think of her as Vala from Stargate who somehow got on the wrong ship.

I went in knowing essentially nothing about it as well, so the twist halfway through (the eclipse and what happens after) was really unexpected. Up to that point, I figured something would happen because of the orrery teaser, but not horrible murder monsters with free reign of the entire planet. Oh no, this scifi movie is actually also a survival horror flick! (unsure if I really need spoilers on a 20 year old movie, but w/e). Overall it was surprisingly good, but about 2/3 of the way through, things started to bug me, which is why I brought it up in this thread:

- A forever present IIMM is whenever powers are inconsistent. The monsters can't stand the barest hint of light, but this doesn't apply to their tails after a while I guess?
- Also how did this species evolve exactly? I didn't care before now, but now that you've got me questioning things...
- Turns into too much of an action movie towards the end and loses the suspense.
- Absolutely does not stick the landing.
- Radha Mitchell was fantastic and deserved to have as big a career breakout as Vin Diesel.

Some minor editing and a rework of the last 30-45 minutes, and you go from "cult classic" to just "classic".

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for reminding me that Pitch Black is a movie that exists since my son digs Alien and Predator and I was trying to come up with a new movie in that vein. I haven't seen it since it came out but recall liking it.
Like I said, I really was pleasantly surprised by the quality of most of it, so I'd call it definitely worthy of a watch. Just be aware that it declines a lot in the last bit.

Also, Chronicles of Riddick is completely different in every aspect (but still a lot of fun and a guilty pleasure I'll watch every time it pops up on tv). The third movie in the series, Riddick, tries to return to the roots of Pitch Black, but doesn't hit the same notes, and isn't really all that great. It does have Starbuck from BSG as a fun random cameo though!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Taeke posted:

Same way when I was like 8 I thought the Bermuda triangle was a huge thing that would affect my entire life.
This, but quicksand.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why exactly is Morpheus tagging along with Neo on his way to the Source? He has nothing to do and somehow does less than nothing.
Guy probably wanted a break from listening to the crew bitch about the food for the 800th time.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

HopperUK posted:

e: here's the Dore engraving of the tenth plague. Look at that angel, no fucks given.
19th century version of "lol, owned"

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

HopperUK posted:

The Rock rather than Con Air?
Both very fun dumb movies, but The Rock has Sean Connery.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

This is like the distilled essence of Ridiculous 80's Movie For Kids.

Also the closed captioning is good:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

But Christopher Lloyd was in Star Trek!
So was Frasier (and in one of the best episodes to boot!)

Phy posted:

Kind of like how if I ever watch another zombie movie I'm going to call bullshit on it if it doesn't have hordes of uninfected people walking straight into the zombies while screaming "I refuse to live in fear"
Yeah I did not have "all prior zombie movies are now completely unbelievable due to politics" in my 2020 predictions, but here we are.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Crowetron posted:

The Metal Gear Solid movie should not cut out any dialogue whatsoever, but still just end when it hits two hours. The whole movie should have a countdown timer in the corner that Oscar Issac keeps nervously looking at while people go on and on about nuclear disarmament procedures and PAL cards.
I unironically love this idea and it would be the most Kojima way to do things. The timer is never acknowledged by anyone, of course.

Bussamove posted:

Unless it’s directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

Then both are played by Milla Jovovich.
A Twink to the Past

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Saw Dune on Sunday and loved it. A couple minor nitpicks, because that's what this thread is for:

Lady Jessica is a notably strong-willed character in the book and that was not present in most of her scenes. She came off as constantly anxious and meek, with a couple exceptions (Sardaukar ornithopter ride and punking Stilgar). I guess maybe this was intentional to have her hiding her true nature/all the stuff she's juggling, but it didn't quite land for me.

This got mentioned upthread, but I was a bit confused they didn't mention or even allude to the lasgun-on-shield effect. Come to think of it, they didn't mention the House Atomics either, although I'd have to re-skim the book to see where that's first talked about.

Personal opinion here, but I think they should have included Paul crying over Jamis at the end, right after the duel. I know in the book it takes place once they reach the sietch, but IMO it would have been much more emotionally impactful to include it at the close of the first movie (I described the scene to my family and they agreed it would have been a good emotional moment). Plus I suspect some of the Sietch Tabr stuff is going to be cut in part II anyway.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MariusLecter posted:

Both the Lynch DUNE and new DUNC needed more of the ominous piano, militaristic drums and orchestra that peak with the guitar riff and vocals in the Big Battle track by TOTO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9UcKj7Dxo
I liked the decision to use bagpipes in the new Atreides theme.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Imagined posted:

Also, having grown up where tornados are common, unless that RV was a LOT more heavily armored than it looked, all staking it to the road would mean is that the shredded remains of the RV would be easy to find after the tornado passed. I've seen 2x4s driven through cinderblock walls. A lot of movies make this mistake with tornados, even, famously, Twister, the movie about tornados, i.e. it's not the wind -- it's what else is in the wind. A tornado is not a small hurricane, where you tie everything down and ride out the wind. A tornado is the cartoon Tasmanian Devil carrying meat cleavers in both hands.
I still like the moment in Twister where they're trying to find a place to hide, open up a shed, and just go :stare: "What kind of psycho lives here??" because it looks like they just stumbled onto the set of a horror movie.

Push El Burrito posted:

I really like the movie I just wish they focused more on the corn and maybe the people growing and harvesting the corn.
It sounds like you may best be served by visiting Nebraska, which is not my typical travel advice.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then again I always thought, pre prequels, that the clones would have been the bad guys.
I also thought this growing up!

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The Rise of Skywalker made me realize that you can, in fact, make a movie that can blow your mind and simultaneously suck total rear end. Stars Wars, a land of contrasts
I've probably mentioned it in here before, but it really is a baffling movie. On one hand, you have some legit cool cinematography (the Death Star fight comes to mind) and I like a good redemption story. On the other hand, most of the plot elements including the #1 thing driving the plot forward make no sense and are never explained.

I also caught Last Jedi on TV recently, and I think I actually liked it more than when I first saw it.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Super Troupers are from Space Sweden
Clone Clown Troupers

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Have I told you about...

Fluke Skywalker?
I like to think this is what the underlings of his hosed-up clone in the old EU books called him.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That Italian Guy posted:

I was surprised to learn how many practical effects there in the Matrix sequels. The latest corridor crew has a good reel with them (and Adam Savage, who was part of the work crew for most of the practical stuff).

The ship ramming through Zion's gate is such an impressive practical shot. (Around 16.30min for the money shot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7deA6dE7Y
Reminded again of the famous trivia fact that they built two miles of freeway out in the desert somewhere for that one scene in Reloaded (totally worth it, it's the best scene in the sequels period). Also, wow Adam Savage got old real fast

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Can't believe there's all this talk about what Disney movies make someone cry, and nobody mentioned Inside Out.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

BiggerBoat posted:

It's Alive, IT Follows Them & They Live
You're not supposed to spoil the whole movie in the title!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

^^^ ugh, same

Baron von Eevl posted:

My only real issues with Moana are that it's real obvious there were some heavy rewrites, they introduce a cute pig sidekick and then just sort of leave him behind after 15 minutes and then he's gone. The only reason he needs to be there at all is a pork joke!
I haven't seen Moana, but I would say a fairly solid percentage of Disney movies would be improved by having the comic relief animals dropped with no acknowledgment.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

What movie do you like, but you prefer someone other than the main characters?
Pretty much any of the secondary characters in Parks & Rec (not Chris or Jean-Ralphio though).

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

BiggerBoat posted:

Ultimate FF is at my library. Pass then?
Speaking of Fantastic Four (I assume), why is it seemingly impossible to do a F4 movie? Fairly straightforward and distinct heroes, widely known, easy origin story, plenty of villains to pick from, it should be easy in the present superhero-movie-friendly times to get something together that's at least on the level of a mid-tier MCU flick. And yet, there have been 3 attempts in the last ~15 years and they've all been absolutely abysmal. Hell, two of the actors later went on to play other Marvel characters and ended up in much better movies!

Push El Burrito posted:

The perfect Fantastic Four movie was already made and it was called The Incredibles.
:hmmyes:

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 10, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

What I'm getting from this is that comics are bad.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Lost it at the "dedicated to our brave mujahadeen Iraq troops" bit, did not see that particular callback coming.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

IIMM for 2012: In a movie that is ruthless about killing off secondary characters (seriously, it feels like someone dies every scene change), how does the US Chief of Staff survive the film? He's relentlessly dickish about everything whenever he's in a scene, and in a movie like this that usually means you're being set up for a amusing death towards the end. However, he just kinda says "sorry" as the movie ends and that's it? Fifteen minutes earlier he was admitting to brazenly assassinating people in front of a huge crowd!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

When was the last good non animated Batman movie?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

nine-gear crow posted:

I like the Harley Quinn cartoon’s take on a villain finding out Bruce Wayne is Batman. The Joker just gets mildly upset because he enjoyed not knowing who Batman was and then just starts complaining to him about WayneTech’s lovely customer service.
The Harley Quinn show is just delightful all the way through. DC media's current trend of separating Joker and Harley is welcome and long overdue.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Glad to see A Goofy Movie finally getting the respect it deserves.

christmas boots posted:

I don’t think Mrs Maisel is the kind of show you’re imagining it to be
Well lets not be hasty, I'm interested in hearing out this new spin for season 4.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kit Walker posted:

Any alien that had any curvature whatsoever that didn't also immediately kill you is an alien that someone somewhere would try to gently caress upon first encounter
Unfortunately, these two classifications are still probably not mutually exclusive.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sometimes the existence of a movie combined with the fact that I sat through it irritates me. This was the case for the sequel to Drumline. It's just the same movie, except now it's a girl and the "humbling initiation", the "good but they get in a fight and they get demoted/threatened to get removed" and the climax where they win the championship scenes the whole movie is built around are made more ridiculous and over the top. It's irrationally irritating because like with bring it on, there's not really any more you can do with the concept than make it more outlandish, but still.

the movie is not good
Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: the movie is not good

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am just so glad Toy Story wasn't out when I was a kid; the idea that my toys could feel betrayal when I didn't play with them anymore, or be sad if I gave them away, or turn into murderous loving monsters if they were replaced, would be worse than any Chucky movie ever. gently caress, I was one panicky anxiety mess of a kid who sometimes worried the stuffed animals I slept with felt left out if they got accidentally kicked off the bed, so they got special love the next day. But then the other toys might be jealous, so do they get another kiss or....this is probably why I chewed my nails till they bled when I was a kid.
Along similar lines, the aforementioned Brave Little Toaster was traumatic to a lot of people.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

dr_rat posted:

And I think it's less he wants them made into movies, and more he just likes people making stuff in general and sees this as helping out people starting off in their career.

Good for him.
It's kind of amazing how mediocre a track record he has for movie adaptations given how good a writer he can be. I mean, not all of his stuff is amazing and some are way too long, but you'd think due to his sheer prolificness he'd have more than like maybe half a dozen good movies (having said that, the high points are great). Also while I'm on the topic, I want a miniseries made out of his Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story anthology, cause that's some of his best work but none of them would work as full-length features.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Haha, I genuinely had no idea. I'll have to look that up!

Shame it doesn't seem they did some of the best stories in the book ("House on Maple Street", with "Moving Finger" and "Head Down" as runners-up). I guess that sorta counts as an IIMM.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

theironjef posted:

She's still the worst at processing grief, though. That's her whole deal. Recall that her introduction to the MCU was volunteering to let Nazis tinker with her head using alien tech because she was mad at Tony Stark.
MCU Phase 5: Everyone Gets Lots of Therapy

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FreudianSlippers posted:

He spent the 20 years between trilogies eating nothing but hot pockets and drinking 2 liters of Mountain Dew per day.
He came down with the deadliest disease in the galaxy: Gameritis

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The previous page is dedicated to the brave mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

tribbledirigible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5N1Aukm4Bo

Bond in Space was my favorite since I was a little kid, but this has been bothering me since I saw it again in my teens. loving dumbshit, controls =/= displays.
Moonraker is very silly and I love it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

:hellyeah:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I wonder if it's not just him, but sound mixing in general in modern movies. Most movies I've seen over like the past decade have horrible mixing where the music & sound effects are BLASTING but voices are whisper quiet (unless there's no background noise). I think I heard something about studios not bothering to change up the audio for people using home setups, so it always ends up sounding off-balance & lovely coming from a home theater setup vs. IMAX or a regular theater.
I think it's been going on for longer than that. I forget when I started bringing earplugs to the theater but I swear it's been more than ten years. I'm sure this sounds very :corsair: but they reduce the volume from "earsplitting" to "just loud enough" and I have no regrets.

Also this made me think about what the last movie I saw in a theatre was, and I'm pretty sure it was Rise of Skywalker, loving lol what a self-own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Indiana Jones must have had one hell of a dry cleaning bill.

Remulak posted:

Protip: most theaters turn down the volume considerably during matinees. I like my poo poo loud so this takes all the fun out of skipping work to see a movie.
Neat, I might try this whenever I go back to seeing things in the theater. If I'm not seeing things with friends/family, I typically see things during AMCs weekend early bird, where tickets are $5 or less before noon. At one point I could roll out of bed mid-morning, check the listings, and walk over to a theater in 5 minutes for a cheap Sunday entertainment.