Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally caught up with this thread. Been playing a few games lately.

Picked up an old copy of Madden 2106 for 5 bucks and, god drat, this game STILL does the same cheap bullshit it's been doing for 20 years now. The CPU cheats like a motherfucker, to the point that outcomes often seem pre-determined, especially if you happen to be ahead. Depending on the score, the CPU is always in the right call agains you and adjusts perfectly to your audibles. Lot of sports games are like this but EA is the worst. Players consistently gut stuck in animations and the CPU seems to be able to do stuff that you can't (pass protect, catch in traffic, break tackles, mount a pass rush, block kicks).

Grabbed the Resident Evil remake on the cheap was really surprised they didn't add a first person mode. There's a mod out there that does it perfectly but as it stands, it's just the original game with a fresh coat of paint. I haven't tried the Resident Evil Zero game yet.

Witcher 3 is really good but the crafting system and materials interface are counter intuitive and confusing. I'm never sure if I should be breaking down items for components or combining them and the menu interface is a mess. The d-pad quick menu seems random and arbitrary too, even if I equip certain slots. It seems to decide for me if I'm gonna use a potion or eat a turkey leg.

Sword and armor damage can get hosed too. There are whetstones in towns but their sharpening bonus is a timed effect it seems so there's hardly any point to using them. Searching, herb collection and looting are really finicky too. I find myself looking at the small map more than the world map to find herbs. The crossbow is useless and is loving up my archer build.

Forza 3 I grabbed used too and the menu is a loving mess of ads and DLC offers. I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing next in this game or what I have to achieve to get the Hot Wheels expansion to open up, which is the only reason I wanted the game.

DOOM is good but its all "run and gun". I don't feel any way to use strategy at all - duck and cover, stealth or planning a level.

Okami HD is a game I never got finish on PS2 and is amazing and gorgeous but, jesus christ, can we speed up the text speech a tad? It's also WAY too easy. I think I've only come close to dying once. It needs difficulty settings and less of that bug creature.

Outlast 1 and 2 are OK and genuinely creepy in places but running in totally dark screen is not fun at all. Nor is not being able to fight back EVER. Part 2 is dragged down by those scripted "you better know where you're running to escape this boss" and, if you don't, you have to trial and error it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

You know that's an HD port of a Gamecube game, right? And it came out a number of years ago, way before RE7? Why would it have a first-person mode? It's also one of the best RE games ever and is way more than just the original game but newer.

Stealth? In loving Doom? Have you ever played Doom before? :psyduck:

I realize what RE remake was, yes. I thought they had added a new camera angle though and I guess assumed it was fp. Turns out it was getting rid of the tank controls. I grabbed a bunch of games from a flea market and am working my through them.

And, yeah, maybe "stealth" was the wrong term for Doom. I just meant I remember in the original game, going all the way back to the Sega 32x, that you could use a little cover here and there or lead enemies around a little. So far, I'm just getting gang raped. Could be me getting old or doing duck and cover over the years as FPS has evolved.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Apr 12, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

This game is scary as gently caress and I am legitimately afraid when playing it. I would leave the room when my husband played it in many parts cause I couldn’t handle it. Started playing 1 on my own and I’m fighting through the fear but omg. I kind of want to cry right now cause I think it’s given me video game PTSD and I’m stuck at this place where the crazy doctor stabs you to death in a hallway and I have no idea how to get out, and I don’t want to watch YouTube videos cause there’s always some rear end in a top hat talking and I want to enjoy the mood, as horrible to me as it is. I’m getting anxiety just thinking about this game.

Things dragging the game down: it gives me severe anxiety.

that's about the only think I liked about really. I don't scare easily but love horror games. OL 1 and 2 had a lot going for them but a lot of it felt really cheap. Not being able to see where you're going, while scary, is not fun playing a game. At all. Nor is trial and error reloading, imo. Speaking of which:

BTW, hide, make your way to the long end of the room opposite of where you're starting, get the guy behind you then make a break for it once your in a hallway and not the lab with all the tables and shelves. Eventually, if i remember right, you crawl up some vent or something after going through a few doors. That led in segment was very disturbing.

Also, OK, young dudes, I get that Doom is a fast paced twitch shooter, I'm an old and it's been maybe 20 years since I played but I still recall some semblance of strategy in the original.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Futuresight posted:

Original Doom has way more strategy to it than people give it credit. And you could actually "stealth" around a bit to get better angles or to better terrain before you started killing things in certain places. I love the first 2 Dooms and cannot stand new Doom (literally uninstalled within an hour) because it's a completely different beast. The mindless run and gun shooters started after Doom.

This guy gets it.

I like the Doom game I'm playing but gently caress if it doesn't seem like constant, never ending shitrain a lot of the time. I feel like I used to be able to run to a safe area and at least catch my breath or switch weapons before regrouping and getting back into the poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, sweet!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Finally getting into the Witcher 3 somewhat.

I usually wait and buy games used once all the crap filters out and good games are cheap so I'm playing older poo poo. I really like W3 but the inventory/crafting system, the constant switching to the main map and the floaty looting controls are a pain and are slowing down (not ruining) my enjoyment. The game is moving slower than it needs to, especially when it comes to applying oils and stuff like that.

The stuff it gets right mostly makes up for the little nagging stuff but that little nagging stuff is just so constant. I feel like I'm having to pause the game every 30 seconds.

The crafting stuff is a mess that's no fun and would benefit greatly from a "less is more" approach, where you had less poo poo to deal with and less junk but more ways to utilize what you find. I can never tell if I'm better off collecting, selling, breaking down, buying or forging most of the time and usually when I wind up with something useful to craft it's a complete accident. Not a fan of the UI and pause menus at all. Maybe I'll get used to it but lately I've been deciding to just ignore most of that poo poo until I really need it.

Getting used to the combat has increased my enjoyment a lot (oh, hello dodge button!) and the story is really loving cool. Everything feels intertwined and even the side quests have a ton of flavor to them. The investigation stuff is really neat but suffers from picky controls. Maybe I'm just getting old because lately I've been finding open world games just entirely too overwhelming and it hinders my muscle memory a lot since I don't have entire 6 hour chunks of time to get into a rhythm with them. Then, when I finally do, by the time I pick the game back up I forget what the gently caress is what and wind up setting a villager on fire or some poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh yeah. gently caress Gwent.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Into the Breach is a fantastic game and you need to give it more time.

Sorry to be off topic but I don't have PM's. How do I go about redeeming the avatar upgrade you said you'd do for me? I posted it on the "PYF saga thread".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=372#post483199209

Guess you could just email me a cert.

Thanks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Witcher 3 is cool and all but Geralt controls really funny when you're trying to loot or even turn around. He seems like he weighs 10 pounds. And still WAY too much time is spent in the sub menus and navigating those is a pain. Even stuff like equipping and slotting stuff always seems a little clunky and often unclear. I think they could have simplified those a bit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

No, I don’t have a gun. I’m in the air vent.

He's loving with you. You NEVER get a gun. I liked the Outlast games but eventually got tired of never being able to fight back, even on a rudimentary level, so that dragged those games down for me.

Had some spare time this weekend to finally delve back into Witcher 3 and I'm officially done with it now. Just over it. I know people love this game and I can honestly see why. I keep wanting to and thinking I will eventually. The graphics, the world and the story are incredible. There's a lot to like about it but I am totally over constantly having to exit the game and navigate the sub menus. Plus spinning Geralt around to pick poo poo up/loot, beating my head against the wall figuring out which of the 2000 items I have that I should keep, running back to town to repair my poo poo and fussing with the camera whenever I fight.

I swear to god, a quick map, a few more potion/oil hot slots and a little tightening of the controls would have helped this game a lot. The controls are very slippery and janky. I'd like to see them incorporate more of an Arkham feel for the combat and dial down the inventory management.

I think a movie would be more fun than the game so actually so looking forward to the Netflix thing but the game is just not for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

im pooping! posted:

i know you have said youre over it, but there are mods that address your issues, notably the infinite item durability, 9000 weight limit, and auto loot mods. i understand if you dont want to mod the game but at least in my case the game was very frustrating to play without those mods

I'm on Xbone not PC. the bolded part is what was ruining the game for me, which is a shame because there's a great game in there but, to me, it's the textbook definition of a game being dragged down and ultimately being rendered not fun. Way too much time spent on map and inventory screens.

Someone else brought up Wolfenstein. I grabbed New Order and Old Blood and it's pretty fun but, holy poo poo, the constant stream of enemies in certain places is a bit much. It's like they're coming off an assembly line. Some of the trial and error of it is off putting too. Like I cruise along pretty steady for a while and then hit a spot where I die repeatedly. There's no explanation anywhere either of what weapon does what - at least that I can find (damage, fire rate, reload time, etc.)

But my biggest gripe so far is that even with the armor and health perks, they deteriorate/count down once you pass 100% and the pickups never seem to be where you need them. Meaning by the time I get to an enemy laden area, my 100+ boost is gone. I assume eventually there's another perk that negates that.

Lastly, gently caress platforming for the most part in first person shooters. All of them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Was Heavy Rain the one that had "Shuan! Shaun!....Shaaaauuuunnnn!"?

Because that was pretty loving funny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

glad she is dead posted:

The UI in Assassin's Creed: Unity looks like a parody of bad UIs.

This is a random shot taken when I earned a trophy.

Jesus Christ. Can you at least toggle it on and off? Never got into the AC games.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I quite liked Bioshock 1 and 2 but Infinite was just "move, move, read, move, collect, move" from firefight to firefight and I gave up on it maybe 1/3 of the way through. I dug the style of it, the graphics and even the story but if I want a run and gun shooter, I'll just play Doom or Wolfenstein.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So why is Infinite bad

It ignored what made the first two games good (if you liked those) and just turned it into a regular old FPS. And not a very good one at that.

glad she is dead posted:

Bioshock: Infinite behaves as if it's being profound when it's total garbage.

The whole release of the game was like one long re-enactment of the Emperor's new clothes - it seemed like no reviewer was able to say that all the racial, political and nationalistic imagery is just window dressing for gently caress all.

Also this. Depending on your taste, the first two had pretty decent stories, but Infinite seemed, like someone else said, "stitched together". It went from set piece to set piece and none of them connected. Run here, read there, collect here, grapple there..cut scene..."oh, here's a big empty area I can explo....."

*Tons of enemies pour out.*

Other games did it much better.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 02:10 on May 22, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I grabbed Okami on the cheap at a flea market because I figured my 7 year old son would love it (he does) but, drat. Is it me or is this game just way too easy? I think I've died once and the only challenge after about 10 hours in is sometimes figuring out which way to go next.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

One is a loser number, i start with winners.

It's the loneliest number that you'll ever do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wolfenstein: The New Blood is loving badass and fun as hell but occasionally the scripted "wave after wave of loving Nazis" frustrate me. I'd like a little more sniping and stuff like the parts where I sneak around and try to cap the commanders so the alarms don't go off. Sometimes I kind of want to plan my attack a little and survey the area and don't care much for the triggered "Nazi AttacK!" parts.

Also, I have a hard time remembering which weapon is my shotgun and which one is my rifle because of the names. Game also needs a Grenade arc indicator.

Cool loving game though.

I got W:TNB along with New Order. Am I playing them in the correct order or does it matter?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wrong order but t doesn't matter in the slightest since old blood is a prequel

Thanks. loving game ruled.

I like it more than Doom4 since it seemed to have a little more strategy and a LOT more story (which was great). Only thing I'd like is a grenade trajectory indicator, weapon descriptions, a tad less trial and error plus a clear idea of where I'm at checkpoint wise.

About to fire up W:TNO and is it OK to bitch about SYSTEMS dragging games down?

Because, gently caress, it seems like it should be. The XB1 interface is a god drat nightmare to navigate. A lot of times, I'll insert a new game or a movie and have to re-boot to do anything. Then I have to sit through a system update (which I don't want). Then an install, then a game update, because god for-loving-bid you play test the loving thing before release.

Then it seems there's all these loving things that PC gamers deal with that seem totally unacceptable. I don't play games on my computer and, reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere, I'm really glad I don't. Holy poo poo.

When a game launches and half of it is broken all over the place, the online forums blow up with poo poo like "did you go into your settings and disable "ACTIVE-sUx", download the new "WTFdrivers", set the display to "CAN-i-PLS-C-game", tweak the frame rate to "AND-a-MATE", log out of your account and log back in under your alternate, offline account to get the user vs. PvP plugin, map the keyboard to "MAKESENSE - get INTUIT" and check the specs on your "FU-4GRX-2WRK" card?

"My controller doesn't work!" "The game keeps freezing!" "Blue screen!" "Frame rate!" "Hot keys! are broken!"

It seems like to me that you have to gently caress with games forever and you're gonna spend a day or a week just getting the mother fucker to run at all, let alone be any fun, which always seems like there's a hundred user mods you have to download to make the damned thing enjoyable or playable at all and half of them conflict with some other poo poo you had to update just to get it up and running and winds up loving up the frame rate or textures or some poo poo.

*waits for a patch that will need a patch to fix some other poo poo that the patch hosed up which will soon be patched and will require re-patching when we 'upgrade' our OS*

That would drive me insane. Assuming I'm not already.

Sorry for the meltdown.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Hey pal in case you haven’t noticed your immediate surroundings you’re actually in line at a McDonald’s drive through and should be prepared to give your order posthaste

I knew that was coming.

and I specifically said "NO CHEESE", mother fucker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ive been posting about Wolfenstein lately and started New Order.

Early in the game I have to pick a guy to have killed. I looked at the scene, studied the area and thought there was some trick to it, like one dude could reach a knife or some poo poo and stab nazis, but nope. Seems entirely random. Hope my choice didn't gently caress up my run.

Sorry, Wyatt.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dewgy posted:

You didn’t gently caress up the run, the game has two distinct timelines and different upgrades and plot beats for each. The third option of “don’t pick anyone” just gets you killed. (Old Blood does this at a few points too but it’s much more subtle about how you make the choice.)

The core of it all stays the same but with Fergus surviving you get health upgrades hidden in each level instead of armor, and a different side character in the main base.

Right on. Thanks. I didn't think it was a game breaker but it just seemed so random. Thought there was some weapon laying nearby or one guy had a free arm to get me out of it, like the game was making study the environment carefully or look for a clue.

Now I just hate that nazi motherfucker and want to shoot his dumb stupid nazi face because he made me kill my friend.

Wyatt will not die in vain.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I finally said "gently caress the Witcher 3" and am getting into Fallout 4 and, god drat. I'm gonna say ANY game that makes you check your map or inventory menu every 45 loving seconds just to figure out WTF. I LIKe some of that poo poo but not constantly.

Sort of why I liked the Evil Within games because that poo poo was kept to minimum.

Also, gently caress encumbrance bullshit in games that encourage you to collect everything in order to build poo poo. Some of the Resident Evil games managed that mechanic well with the little mini game parts that had you playing Tetris with your inventory slots in order to carry poo poo. But it never seemed overwhelming or tedious.

Some of these open world games it's like "all of a sudden your'e as slow as snail" because you picked a fork, a AA battery or some poo poo. Just give us all portable holes and be done with it unless you can make it interesting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The MGS games, the ones I've played are utterly batshit and have a ton of things dragging them down.

I started with the PS2 era games and struggled with wonky controls and camera angles, long winded un-skippable cut scenes and a LOT of trial and error gameplay. I HATE trial and error gameplay. I've been loving around with the modern Wolfenstein, DOOM and Tomb Raider games and they all semi suffer from it to varying degrees.

I'm honestly afraid to try a new Metal Gear game based on what I read about them. I remember liking a lot about them but also recall poo poo like laying down on my belly for no reason, shooting of my really loud gun when I didn't want to and poo poo like that. Probably I just suck at video games but, while I'm at it...

Overly complex controls take me out of anything. A well designed game makes the control layout intuitive and second nature.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like the new Tomb Raider game(s) but I keep getting them mixed up. I think I played Rise and really liked it aside from backtracking for poo poo I missed.

For the dude that wondered why Laura accepted the immortality maguffin thing, if I'm remembering right, I thought it had something to do with her discovering her father's research or some poo poo.

So on xbone there's how many stand alone TR games?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So I'm finally playing Witcher 3 and you know what? gently caress wolves. This is almost as bad as Dragon's Dogma. Gerald is just wading through millions of wolves to get to any place on this map. I talked to an NPC to get a quest and like twenty wolves just showed up running around in the background of this dialogue.

I had a ton of issues with W3 but wolves were WAY down on my list.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

Developers need to look at what their UI elements look like on a television at any distance and not just on a monitor at their desk. Mafia 3 has black and white PS4 button icons a quarter inch high in tutorial pop ups. Far Cry 5 has straight white no drop shadow icons showing what throwable you have equipped while driving that are maybe three sixteenths of an inch square. God of War added a text size slider that didn't magnify the like pants armor stat tool tips at all, but did bump up the size of the lore journal fluff.

For real. Dead Rising was the game that finally made me bite the bullet and get an HDTV. You seriously could not read the subtitles on a standard def TV.

Speaking of Dead Rising, it was pretty fun for the most part but I hated the concept that no matter what you did you'd have to replay the game to get anywhere close to a good score. That, combined with the idiotic AI of the fuckers you were rescuing sort of brought it down a notch for me.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Jun 16, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Games that don't have a projection arc for grenades and stuff. "No, dumbass, throw it THROUGH the window at the guards. Not at the wall 3 feet in front of me"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Finally got back around to loving with Doom and:

There is no map

No flashlight

You can't see

Also, I hadn't played it in a while so of course I now need a 52gb "update" for whatever reason. Now I can't progress past level 3 because it says "content still pending install". I already installed the already massive game. Their solution? Delete the whole thing and reinstall it. That's real cool because I love waiting another 45 minutes to play the game I bought.

Autoupdates can get hosed. Half the time they break whatever it is you're updating (Videogame, phone, etc.). If the thing is working just as I like, leave it alone and spare me the "updates" please. Drives me batshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

There is a map, a very detailed one, even. Also not having a flashlight is a bonus, considering Doom 3 and I don't recall any particular dark places you have to go.

RyokoTK posted:

Turn on your monitor.

OK I deserve this.

Turns out I was playing level 3 but the game was STILL installing the update over an hour later. If you do that, the game will be crazy dark, apparently, and also lock you out of levels til it's done. Still beat that level so gently caress you Doom.

Still hosed up that some update i never wanted takes over a loving hour to install but I deserve all the ridicule I got.

edit: aaaannnnd there's the loving map. Turns out I just suck at dooming.

It's me. I'm the thing dragging this game down.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jun 24, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dewgy posted:

PYF thing dragging this game down: It’s me. I’m the thing dragging this game down.

Once I got the fucker totally installed, my head re-screwed back on correctly and my muscle memory re-attuned from Wolfenstein, I started crushing this bad boy over the weekend. Really cool game. You don't even really need the map for the most part unless you're incredibly lost. I totally forgot about the scrolling sub menus under the select button and noticed I had several upgrade points (along with my map) when I finally found it.

Parts of it are a little too fast (I'm 51) when the enemies spawn and just swarm your poo poo and sometimes searching for the upgrade/attachment you want in the middle of a firefight can be tough. Some of the platforming sections can gently caress right off.

I like how the game made a compromise between pausing during a weapon/item switch and doing it in real time. It slows the game when you futz with the menus but you can't cheese it by stopping it entirely.

So my new assessment is the game is awesome and there's not much weighing it down at all besides my stupid self (and some of the platforming).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I nearly gave up for good at the platforming section. Real loving thrilling, looking at a green light and then pressing the jump button for 10 minutes, only interrupted by occasionally having to stand still and do nothing while you wait for a lightning machine to turn off, in the middle of a big action game.

"Climb the Tower", right? Yeah, that sucked

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm gonna do it again and say gently caress the whole "this game needs an update" to play bullshit.

I keep thinking about kids getting a PS4 or XBoxOne on Christmas morning or on their birthday and having to wait 5 loving hours to update their software and hardware or install poo poo in order to play with it .

Actually, gently caress those kids. This poo poo gets on MY nerves.

I commute 2 hours every day and sometimes just want to shoot zombies or nazis in the face without waiting 2 hours for the loving privilege. As we speak, I'm trying to fire up Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and am hoping to god the update loads in time for me to actually play the god damned thing before I have to go to bed in time to be at work by 6:30 tomorrow.

Am I asking too much for a game to be, you know, playable when i buy it? I realize I am old and cranky.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Also it's slightly annoying that the second map of the game is just populated with random level 20 enemies. I did everything in the first zone and came out at like, level 5. Everywhere I go are level ?? enemies that instantly destroy me, even now at level 9.

This happened to me a bit too so I just stuck to the quests that were close to my level and hauled rear end when I ran into serious trouble.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Dual Shock 4 Battery Empty. Connect controller to charger. "

Holy poo poo this. I have never been a fan of wireless controllers for exactly this reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

Even if you hate the combat, witcher 3 is worth turning the difficulty down to easy and just cruising through it so you can experience the story/writing/characters/setting, since witcher 3 is the first game in the series where that stuff is good enough to carry it on their own

I finally gave up on W3 in part because of the controls but mainly the constant need to navigate the submenus and that stare at that mini map. I just wanted to check out the really beautiful world they built. Funniest thing about the controls is that the combat was the least of its problems. Looting and searching or just walking around were way too slippery.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Reading about it beforehand I really thought they couldn't go wrong. Bomb around Montana in a crop duster and sic your pet bear on people? Sounds pretty hard to gently caress up. And, I enjoyed FC3 (Swan Dive Into the Mouth of A Crocodile Simulator 2K13) well enough. But the more I read from people who played it the more mediocre it sounds. :(

Only Far Cry game I played was FC3 and, while I liked it for a while, it started getting really repetitive after a while. I maybe got half way through before losing interest in it. The tower sections especially grated on me. I don't like platforming elements in FPS for teh most part.

Been binging the Wolfenstein games and really like them. This is probably a dumb complaint but sometimes there are TOO many guns. They leave so many of those mounted ones around that I always wind up using those instead of my arsenal so ammo management becomes non existent.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

I’m always a fan of less time spent in menus so I think 3 was an improvement.

Holy poo poo, Witcher 3 had LESS time spent in menus? God drat. Menu navigation time was one of my biggest complaints with the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

The biggest disappointment with both Far Cry 5 and Outlast 2 was neither game went whole hog nutso and had the rapture actually happen. I wanted desperately for the last quarter of Far Cry 5 to turn into anti-Doom where you gun down angels as they try and smite all you "sinners".

My problem with both Outlast games had nothing to do with being properly frightened or freaked out. Just, at a point, it might have been FUN to occasionally fight back. An entire game of RUNNING and HIDING is not fun.

Give me a bottle to smash on a bitch or a coat hanger to jam in an eye - Jamie Lee Curtis style. At least give the player the ILLUSION of fighting back, even if it's only to buy time. Alien: Isolation was good at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

It's an entirely different kind of survival horror, more tied to Clock Tower than Resident Evil

I get that and I loved it for a while. The atmosphere and chills were great. It just got old after a while. Even the early Silent Hill games let you fight back a little. Good to hear some of the feedback on Prey because that's next in my wheelhouse.