Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

MWG just seem like a couple of guys having fun playing a game. :shrug:

Dave doesn't annoy me as much as he should. I don't know why. Normally that sort of spastic poo poo grates at me, but compared to Matt and Jay, he's more entertaining. Kris, their painting guy has been helpful when I was getting started and looking for paint technique videos, though he's not great for advanced painting stuff. I learned about the "thin your paints" rule from Kris.

No way that poo poo's worth $100/year for a membership though. I tried their free week thing and cancelled after 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure this is a little bitter GW sentiment carried over from the last thread. I check ebay/craigslist 5 days a week, minimum for deals, and at this point I have a pretty good idea of what the most active 5 or 6 craigslist markets in the US are, which I check. There's nothing standing out to me as abnormally flooded with people looking to firesale their models in any of them.

I also spent about 5 hours at my FLGS today while people came by to pick up their rulebooks and/or read through the store copies and the general consensus was that it wasn't a spectacular set of changes, but for every nerf there was something that sort of balanced it out, potentially in a positive way for the specific player and their army.

I'm withholding judgement until I get a few games under my belt, but if nothing else, I vastly prefer the layout of the new rulebook when it comes to having to look up an odd rule. (though I'm not a fan of the terrain features in the book describing that units -on- the terrain get the bonus instead of units in base contact because I can see the arguments stemming from units 25% on the terrain getting the bonus or not from here.)

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm dumb and it's early.

Deny the witch - do you need to perfectly match or exceed the number of 4+ your opponent rolled, or does every 6 'negate' a 4+ so you can bring them below the number required to manifest, while still leaving them with 4+s?

E.g. Either
1) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I need 4 6s to negate.
Or
2) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I roll 2 6s and negate even though he still has 2 4s.

it's the second one. durrrrrrrr page 25, it's the first one.

koreban fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 24, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The exact phrasing is "For each individual result of 6+, one Warp Charge point has been successfully nullified. If the total number of nullified warp charge points is equal to or greater than the number of harnessed Warp Charge points, The Deny the Witch test has been passed and the psychic power does not manifest."

So no, you have to actually negate every single success they roll to negate a power. That's really why I wouldn't particularly rely on DtW.

welp you're right. we missed the part on the bottom of page 25 where it says that.

quote:

you need to nullify all of the Warp Charge points that were successfully harnessed by the Psyker when he passed his Psychic test.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does anyone have the Hamgoon locator map on hand? I'll be on vacation in Okaloosa Island in Florida for a week at the end of the month and wondered if any of you terrible nerds were within decent distance to show me through a game or two, or at least know of a "good" nerd store somewhere around there people play.

3rd post in the thread: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438&add=1

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tadhg posted:

I now have a title for my tuxedos, scotch, and cigars warhams event that I'll continue dreaming about and never actually run. :allears:

It's now my goal in the next year to manage to get a game in with a fully painted army with a digital media batrep, be it video or photo. I can't swing a tux but I own a really nice suit, have a stash of cuban cigars and a scotch cabinet worth more than many nerd's armies.

e: ^^^ :hellyeah: :hfive: classy nerd friend

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Sounds like you shouldn't have been "holding them at bay" and should have been in their base killin their dudez!

I agree it can swing against you and that's part of the deal. However, just dont play the maelstrom missions if you don't like it. *shrug* I have had fun with them so far.

Is it just me or did jump infantry just get a lot more desirable because of this go-fish bullshit?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

What list should I take?

If you've been playing nids and gone on a several month win streak, why change it up?

He's certainly more likely to face Eldar in a tournament, however I have to think he's planned around the usual shooty Eldar Wraithknight lists. He's probably not as prepared for something like nids.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
ugh card missions are so bad and the old mission suck. if only there was another way to play warhams that didn't use the same tired missions or random pokerface card decks

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Are the missions in there any good?

The missions that I read were all really interesting scenarios. You won't play through a tournament using them and some require more terrain options than others, but I got a huge kick out of the more narrative focused missions and I'm pretty much up for whatever isn't The Relic for the 80th time.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

For the umpteenth loving time: I am not defending 40K's particular implementation of random movement, just attacking the idea that random movement is inherently wrong or illogical, while random combat resolution is not. Look at modern warfare: it's not a question of whether or not an Apache can blow up a truck, it's a question of whether or not that Apache can get in position to blow up a truck. A game with random movement and fixed combat resolution is no more random and out of player control than the opposite. It just refocuses where that randomness occurs. Would players like it? I'm not sure. We've been well conditioned to accept fixed movement and random combat resolution as the way wargames work.

In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is only 21st century skirmish warfare problems.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched a few games tonight at the game shop. Highlights include:

Primaries psyker perils, rolls 6, passes leadership and goes goku, then gets Yarick'd with no save roll allowed.

500 points of Eldar demonology vs. 500 points of Chaos Daemons demonology. End of turn 4, 5.5 hours later. Multiple bloodthirsters are locked in combat while heralds continue to call in more pink horrors and bloodletters. Both players (some of the foundation players from the group) left mad about 7th and how stupid the escalation got. Game went 5 turns, over 2000 points of models were on the table, another 1k were dead.

I started a new army project. Quietly modeling in the corner while 2 other guys who formerly played tought each other warmahordes.

Awkward night.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Direwolf posted:

The short answer is yes, constantly. The one buff is that we can jink on the first turn now if we don't go first, which is a godsend, but Ravenwing is not an assault army at all and isn't good at assault except for one unit (Black Knights) which are also fantastic shooters - so the one unit that I wouldn't mind charging headlong into the enemy is the one unit I'd like to be able to shoot with, as well. The thing that makes Ravenwing viable is our dakka banner, and the jink change mathematically reduces the hits a 6 man squad gets with mass bolters from 21 to 7. I don't think we were the targets of the change but it's a really strong nerf to what we're best at.

It's almost like they gave those units Hit and Run just for that purpose. And, oh, look, the Ravenwing banner gives you a pass on hit and run without having to roll for it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BobFromMarketing posted:

Alright so in my time looking at the Necron rules I have come across the synaptic disintegrator which has a strength of X. What exactly does that X mean? Is the strength variable? Does it always wound on a certain number? I really need to get the main rulebook :vomarine:

The weapon answer has already been provided, however you might want to look for Imperial Armour vol. 12, there are a bunch of Necron-specific units and rules in there as well.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Okay, so by your own admission you have some players in your group that use some of the clearly misogyny-intended models because that's how they come, and yet the person/group can accept that's how the models are and no one gets creepy about it. How is it any different if Cooked Auto decides to use a model that fits the established aesthetics as long as he's cool about it and doesn't get all creepy?

I get where you're coming from, and being someone who recently had a slip of the fingers and posted a colloquialism that I really wish I hadn't, I'm right there with you on most of this; however Cooked Auto hasn't ever given me the miniature wargaming creeper vibe in the 6 months or so that I've been frequenting these threads.

Couldn't we just acknowledge that there's a misogynistic thread throughout the gaming circles and agree to perpetuate it as little as possible, even when it means that we buy a miniature that is unfortunately modeled but entirely consistent with the lore as written?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tadhg posted:

While not perfect, are not nearly as blatantly sexualized as this:

You know, given the breadth of models featuring female forms at 28mm scale, a little clevage and a smirk probably doesn't meet the standard for the level of hazing you're going with.

I'm starting to get uncomfortable with how close my points are getting to being possibly misconstrued as being an apologist for the sort of status quo objectification side of gaming culture, so if it's all the same, can we just agree that you're completely right in comparing the examples you provided against the model he showed?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sulecrist posted:

Speaking of conversions, I have now ruined about six different guns in an attempt to give my Scout Sergeant a combi-plasma. I have to be careful since the dumb Scout box comes with only four sets of gun arms so I can't let anything go to waste. I haven't yet found a version that doesn't either look a ridiculous Nerf gun or have the ejection port and muzzles in completely insane places. Going to take another crack at it tonight, but I may end just hacking off the top and giving him one of the combi-weapon components from the new tactical squad.

Now I wish I had pictures.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Sternguard-Veteran-Weapons

Just in case you're interested.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

I too have been painting mans during the forum downtime.

You are the inspiration behind my small crimson fists force. I only hope my barbies look half as awesome as your barbies.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Crimson Fists are my favorite chapter, right up there with Ultras. Do you have any pictures of them?

I'll be posting my stormraven and stormtalon in the oath thread this weekend. Next oath will be some 90s era tacticals and probably Pedro, who just arrived yesterday.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

Has there ever really been a 40k computer game that was the one to play if you weren't already a fan of the license, though? As far as I'm aware there have been better/more mainstream RTSes and shooters at any time that the 40k ones have been on the market. As long as they keep their expectations in line, a 40k MOBA could defend its own niche.

I thoroughly enjoyed spacemarine, having little to no exposure to 40k proper prior to playing it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Looking forward to them!

Here it is, crossposted from the Oath thread.

- Full size image.

I resisted the temptation to go overboard with red panels on the Stormraven and Stormtalon. I wanted to have red as an accent color without looking like I was drowning in it. I think I managed it faithfully. The Imperial Fists stormtalon was actually the first one I built/painted. I had intended to make a codex chapter and settled on IF, then I painted a goddamn yellow stormtalon and revisited my decision. While reading the SM codex I started reading about CF and Pedro. The more I read, the more I liked what I was reading about, so I changed over to Crimson Fists and have been loving making lists again.

On a side note: I ordered Tactical Squad shoulderpads with the little arrows on them, plus a LotD squad and MultiMelta model from my LGS on direct order. They came in to the shop in smashed packaging. The shop owner called it in and GW sent him replacements. When the replacements arrived we went digging into the boxes. The shoulderpads are metal, so no damage at all. The LOTD guys have a couple little bits that snapped and are easily glued back together. The shop owner let me keep the damaged bits since GW didn't ask for a return. :dance:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Those are very nice! I can still tell they are Crimson Fists, although if you painted the ends of the wings and stabilizes red, I bet that would look cool.

As mentioned, it's been tempting, but I didn't want to overdo it with the red.

I'm going to pick up some transfer mediums and put some vehicle transfer red fists on it (and I'm thinking of free handing a few Orc kill counters just under the cockpit, which should be plenty of iconography without going overboard on the red.

I also got halfway through a librarian last night. Holy poo poo was it a fun model. Pics to be posted later.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Hey, the wife is looking for a way to convert a Sammael riding his boss-rear end 14AV Land Speeder. Any conversion suggestions or examples? Not exactly looking to spend $30 on the LS then like $40 on the duder.

Another vote for picking up the aforementioned Ravenwing battlebox as it's an excellent buy for this purpose. Those extra sprues have the TL assault cannon, TL heavy bolter, sword arms, robed chests/heads and DA iconography, as well as extra bits for venerable dreadnaughts, rhinos/landraiders, etc.

Short of having those/on the cheapo, you'll want a landspeeder tornado kit. Just make the pilot distintive and you should be fine.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sistergodiva posted:

Do you think Off-White + agrax earthshade is enough to make it look greyish? Painted on black primer.

That'll run you more of a dark brown. Nuln Oil is the more grey/black wash and while I don't know that it alone is the answer, it's a nice wash to have for bringing out details in metals.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Both of these Codexes are fine. The real problem is the Eldar codex.

Also Tau. Both codices skew towards excessive power with little downside that it makes the others seem poo poo by comparison.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Awesome! That's what I like to hear. At the moment I'm proxying the Exocrines but I'm going to get 2 probably plus another Harpy/Crone.

How do you start the Exocrines on the board? Do you just rely on the wounds and toughness to keep them around for a couple of turns and not bother trying to hide them behind cover?

Treating them like Vindicators, you'll want to have some cover, preferably shrouded if you can manage it as well. The Tyranid players I watch almost always use intervening models and shrouded bubbles to keep them alive long enough to put down a few blasts while treating them as huge fuckoff targets that they know the opponent will be gunning for first, so setting up flanks and securing objectives while your opponent spends a turn or two pouring all they have into removing those exocrines can get you some early game VPs. Don't expect them to live.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Esser-Z posted:

It absolutely should. I'd play Marines if they had units that worked like that.

Forgeworld has the floating dong-bikes.

Also, I'd buy the hell out of the ork half of that kit. That plus AOBR orks would be such an awesome starter army for my son.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gorilla Glue has a narrow applicator gel bottle that's 4 times the content volume of the Loctite extra control gel (15g vs. 3.5g per bottle) that has been amazing for securing model parts.

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=super-glue-gel

I've used less glue material and it's been pliable while I'm fitting the bit to the model, but once I press down to secure it, 5-10 seconds, max. The bottle is like $0.50 more than the loctite for the bottle, but with 4 times the content.

I've secured both pewter and resin to the plastic spacemans and had no issues. I haven't tested it for trying to get the pieces off once they're secured, but I don't know if that's necessarily a good metric to go by.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it was just because I was gluing shoulderpads on, but the bonds took on those in seconds. Generally with the Loctite I was finding that the pads were still moveable for 30 seconds after setting into place. It's a single narrow example, but it's not like shoulderpads are especially difficult bits to make stick on space mans.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Speckled Jim posted:

I had planned on painting my predator chassis tonight, but since I knocked it over while the primer was wet and subsequently covered it in fingerprints, I finished up my bike squad instead.

Well done on the Yellow. Incidently, what do you do to remove the fingerprints? Simple green, I assume. I have a couple models that I need to address this situation on.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

waah posted:

When I look at SM lists and I realize that their model count for an entire army is less than the amount of boys I need for one good unit, I cry on the inside.

14 points per basic marine. 40 points per terminator. When you compare that to, what, 6 point boyz with choppaz and sluggaz?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Does anyone happen to know if the new HQs in the Stormclaw box will be available separately once Stormclaw is sold out?

I'll venture a guess based on the AoBR and DV box sets and say probably not. The Interrogator-Chaplain, Company Master and Chaos Lord guys aren't available as-is. The whole 'limited edition' thing sells pretty well.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

This is the first "real" 7th edition tourney so I think people are payin a little more attention to it, after this is NOVA I think.

They're also running modified 7th edition rules with the objective cards and secondary objective scoring VPs, so while it's certainly a nice surprise to see such a diverse top 12 list, there can also be a margin for people who just played to the objectives better, or got luckier with the card draws.

Incidentally, feel free to ask panascope and hixson about conserving your strength and playing to late game objectives. :hawksin:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

mmj posted:

What did they change? Is it a major tweak or just small stuff to help things go smoothly?

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/bay-area-open/warhammer-40000-championships-rules-scenarios-and-prizes/

Mostly just a mix of the missions with secondary objectives and a bunch of tweaks.

There's a rule addendum that really drills down the needed FAQ issues for all phases and most specific issues within armies in general that's located:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4VC3WZFH6Hnek1leHN4anRncDg/edit?usp=sharing

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

AgentF posted:

How about battles where half or more of your units can do absolutely nothing to harm the enemy?

He doesn't have objective secured and only two out of 10 points are awarded for First Blood/Slay the Warlord. Managing the random card objectives and securing the objectives it calls for is how you'll maximize your chances against them. You just plainly won't blow up that many knights short of having some sort of crazy Necron MC/scarab list or similar gimmick.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Still calling Tyranids to win the tourney.

Wouldn't be surprised if they do. Geoff Robinson is aka incontrol, the Starcraft 2 competitive/pro player. If ever there was a type of person who would have the autistic savant to pull it off, it'd be a Starcraft autist.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Surprised to see he's actually competing. I watched him in a Dark Heresy webgame and he mentioned he was starting to collect and that was like <1 year ago.

He's a regular on frontline gaming's video battle reports and is on a team that, I believe, runs out of their shop.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He actually just lost, pretty badly vs. the Space Marine player w/ Imperial Knights Allies. Who is playing the Adamantine Formation as well.

Looks like Tyranids got knocked out of the top spots.

Jim Yeh is still 5th, currently. Geoff got knocked to 11th. If you count top 12, Nids are still a strong showing.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tequila Ranger posted:

Mount it to the top of a Land Raider Redeemer in a flamer-theme Salamanders army, play the following on a loop in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EfnYwpmOE

Hollismason posted:

If I ever make terrain I will be stealing this idea.

It's to bad that you didn't go with the obviously superior choice

http://www.scientificsonline.com/mirror-madness.html

Why disco inferno when you can melt loyalist scum, literally:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
They look drat good. Much better than the Crimson Fists I'm trying to wrap up for my oath tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
It looks like a CEO message from a high schooler in a Business Skills for Life class. Who publishes investor letters written like that?

• Locked thread