Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm surprised there isn't a gpo or whatever to require every exe or dll on a windows install to have a valid code signature in order to load

or the fact that ms doesn't even sign their own binaries (maybe they do in windows 8? lol windows 8 though like i'd actually use that shitpile)

sure that wouldn't help you with buffer overflows or vbscript poo poo but jfc it'd be a start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

i actually had to use some enterprise software recently and surprisingly it ran on linux

which linux tho

suse, rh and canonical need to cut the poo poo and just all merge already also everything to do with ubuntu needs to die in a fire

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 8, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

are you on a magic triangle or purely open directory?

alright no trolling in the pos please are those actually the names of a thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Going from a Pentium 75 that I had to keep using until way past its prime to a 550MHz Athlon was a pretty experience

Then there was the time I built a PC with an SSD in it

but I mean my current :airquote: rig :airquote: is from 2011 and uh it still works just fine. I've never even had to reinstall Windows 7 ever. heh remember the days when you had to constantly reinstall windows? good times :xd:

poo poo my c2d thinkpad is from 2009 and the built-in mic and speakers are kinda starting to go but other than a battery replacement and some new ram it worksforme just fine. I wonder how long I can keep that thing before it falls apart.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

holy poo poo even native win8 doesn't have proper multitouch and smooth scrolling? really?? the platform made specifically for touch and then crammed into the desktop doesn't natively support touch?

uh I think the post you quoted says it does?

If you say you can handle multitouch then you'll get multitouch. If you don't, then Windows will do the least terrible thing it can and use the touchpad to emulate a mouse with a mouse wheel so it can spoonfeed you something you can vaguely understand

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/libinput/

multitouch touchpads are hard; these days they just give the OS completely raw multitouch data and the OS is expected to figure everything else out on its own.

like the fact that certain zones on the touchpad are actually mouse buttons.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the pathetic thing about MS is that they continue to act like they can poo poo down peoples' throat because lmao what teh gently caress are u going to do about it, even in market areas where they're having less than no success breaking in.

like they don't even pretend to provide something with better features and performance than the competition before they start making GBS threads down their throat, it's "right, ads in the core OS, day one" even though windows 7 still exists and can be obtained and there is absolutely nothing compelling about windows 8. processor cores designed exclusively for ads and xbox live gold subscription requirements for netflix "because gently caress you, that's why" despite the fact that xbox one is garbage for playing games as opposed to shoving loving ads down your throat and the console is a complete and utter flop because of it.

watching apple and google absolutely wreck their poo poo is delicious. at least a google monopoly would be easier to get rid of further down the road than a microsoft one.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Scott Forstall posted:

in an alternate universe, Nokia said "gently caress it, we're going Android" with the Lumia as the hardware and are currently one of the top Android OEMs.

and all those people still have their jobs.

but lol nope, microsoft

lollllllll yeah sure a hardware manufacturer should have jumped at the chance to enter a stupidly overcrowded market that's in a race to the bottom for the absolute worst customers on the planet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Apple: hey here's something that's clearly an ad showing cool people using our cool products
Microsoft: [astroturfing and ham-fisted product placement intensifies]

scummy marketing from a scummy company

then again maybe Apple isn't the best contrast to use there since literally every hollywood computer from 1990-2010 and probably onwards is conspicuously a Mac

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

linux, that c+ quality undergrad project which implemented threads by forking for a long-rear end time?

when AST schooled linus, that was also p awesome

tbf linux got real threads well before windows got condition variables, real or otherwise

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
to be fair both xbl and the minecraft community are full of literal children so they've got a decent synergy going on there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for the purposes of metro, everything is a touchscreen interface varying in size and DPI.

how do iOS apps handle varying sizes and DPI ? oh yeah just loving fine

Apple cheats at HiDPI, they don't really solve the problem properly but the way they solve it works for 90% of their use cases. Just as long as you don't plug a hi-res monitor into OSX you're fine

GNOME of all things seems to get this right, but then there aren't any legacy apps for GNOME because everybody learned a long time ago that desktop linux is a hilariously unstable platform that's completely unsuitable for anything other than consoles and web applications.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah and they were right

ish

blackberry assumed that a smartphone having a battery life of only one day would be considered a problem

also the demo was a stage managed duct taped bag of hell that was constantly crashing and half-finished at best

the iphone 1 wasn't very good but drat if it didn't look cooooool, it's the iphone 4 that wrecked the competition's poo poo so completely and utterly that it took every other smartphone maker two years just to blink their eyes and figure out what the gently caress was going on

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

friends on Facebook are talking about how their kids are in literal tears over Microsoft buying Minecraft

don't underestimate Microsoft's negative brand perception among young consumers

please let this be real

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

I can't want for the "Minecraft" label to get slapped on unrelated products because its the only non-poisoned brand Microsoft owns.

oh god

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also

FMguru posted:

you know what has really been holding us back in the consumer space? the way we arent slapping our main brand - the one that reminds everyone of the barely functional machines they use at the job that they hate - on all of our products. phones are very personal devices, so we should try and create strong associations with restrictive security policies, malware outbreaks, and chubby it guys in mlp tshirts - that should drive consumer adoption, particularly at the high end. we should make them out of creaky black plastic, to really drive the point home.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pentile is dog poo poo piss garbage

gently caress everything to do with that chickenwire crap

amoled in an rgb arrangement is probably ok though idk i've never seen it because it always comes in pentile

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wish ballmer had retired to pro wrestling or something instead

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

re ballmer:

he outscored gates on the putnam, notable because getting above a 0 is considered to be pretty drat good.

also he played basketball a lot @ redmond

tbf would you want to engage that fucker at close range with his sweat rockets going at full throttle

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cause the NT console is a pretend framebuffer or some poo poo which is why it has that stupid rectangular selection thing that freezes the process

ur literally grabbing a chunk of emulated text-mode framebuffer, there aren't any line break characters for it to pick up at that point.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somebody pls photoshop a character from that Winx Club show for little girls so that it has ballmer's face on it tia

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Xbox 1 had also already been done according to anybody without a marketing degree for a brain but that sure didn't stop them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

GetVersion and GetVersionEx return major and minor versions, but no API returns an actual product name string as far as I'm aware. Also the internal version numbers have nothing to with the marketing "version number" (Vista is 6.0, Seven is 6.1). Consider what a ballache this would be with internationalisation thrown in the mix, for instance.

so yeah just gonna file this one under Re: RE: RE: Fwd: FWD: FWD: Re: Fwd: FWD: FWD: FWD: LOL!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Socracheese posted:

nadella is an incompetant shitheel, if he wasn't he would have been fired long ago for potentially threatening ballmer's throne

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
windows 95 was an abomination but it was a necessary abomination

it was probably microsoft's greatest technical triumph

their second greatest technical triumph was slaying win9x and replacing it with an actual operating system

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
like it had all the artistic appeal of a soviet tractor but you know what, people gotta eat and you ain't gonna plow fields with a loving benz

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

msft has been producing and promoting tablets since 1991. here is billy gates with a message for you from 2002:

yeah remember that time BillG personally deep-sixed the MS Courier because it didn't run Windows?

good times :xd: when i grow up i want to be a captain of industry like billiam ~*~brand synergy~*~ gates

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
iPhone 1 and iPad one were also pieces of poo poo but guess what, Apple iterated the gently caress out of them and the subsequent iterations pretty thoroughly ruined everybody else's poo poo

kind of like how the Surface is a goddamn joke compared to the iPad and its app store.

I still think it's funny how Steve Jobs didn't get the iPhone though. Dude legit thought web applications were where it was at and kinda had to backpedal a lil when the app store became a thing and actually entrenched iOS as more than just a passing thing.

Vendor lock in at 1/100th of that scale gives marketing needledicks wet dreams and the dude actually did it reluctantly. "ugh, fine i'll make all of mobile computing beholden to me and my company for the next thousand years"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
incoming x1 carbon supremacy

gonna put linux on this bad boy and it's gonna own

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
still better than actually using windows 8 lol :xd:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

a driver update from windows update bricks the device if it thinks it's counterfeit
http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/
lol

lol if somebody can actually prove intent here then that's a felony under the CFAA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

they were also done in by the shift from dos to windows 3.x. lotus and wp and borland and ashton tate were slow to release win3 versions of their software (and what they released was usually half-assed and buggy), while msft pulled out all the stops to make word and excel the best-in-class on windows. msft had an advantage in that the hundred people who most understood windows 3.0 were all located just two rows of cubicles over from the word and excel teams, and therve always been suggestions that windows was specifically written in ways to trip up non-office applications, but i just remember the big software incumbents of the 1980s being slow to fully pivot to windows and msft taking full advantage of their lassitude

agreed that wordperfect was the best

tbf i don't think a conspiracy is required for your competitors to just be incompetent

particularly back in those days when you didn't have All Of The RAM and All Of The Disk Space and All Of The CPU to throw at a problem. You can still completely soak a modern desktop supercomputer today, of course, but you do have to gently caress up at least somewhat creatively (e.g. inventing JavaScript) instead of merely attempting to do something like "interactively editing text with real-time formatting" without some serious loving skill and experience under your belt

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

its almost like…microsoft have no aptitude!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows Server is like a Fisher-Price tricycle that has been modified to use an internal combustion engine and travel at highway speeds and be street-legal but the seat still chafes like a motherfucker and every now and again you hit the wrong horn button (because there's two of them) and it makes a plastic honking noise that just gets drowned out by the traffic (but enough about my posting)

(the internal combustion engine is the NT kernel, the plastic tricycle at the core of this mess is the windows api and the cmd.exe user interface partially inherited from MS-DOS)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

i bet they coded that in because ballmer would always insist on setting his password to Steve Ballmer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
steve
"the embalmer"
ballmer

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah and OOXML has a whole bunch of attributes like "render this footnote using the algorithm used by Microsoft Word 6"

"Open" in the name of a software related thing = "People's Republic Of" in the name of a country

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

:runs over to the crank that plays yakety sax, starts churning furiously:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
protip for full disk encryption: go into the BIOS and set an ATA password

assuming you use an ssd in your laptop of course and if you're not then jfc what the gently caress are you even doing with your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Amethyst posted:

a friend of mine spent a ton of money, like enough for 2 macbook airs

macbooks air

• Locked thread