Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Brackhar posted:

The Forest is currently in version 0.03 or something and just hit early access a few weeks ago. It's far, far too early to judge it yet. There's only an hour or so of content as it is.

What is there looks quite promising however.

If they are selling it, its early enough to judge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, there are people that don't like Black Mesa Source? That poo poo was goddamned incredible. So many wonderful little details. I was absolutely blown away by the quality and it is all entirely free. The absolute worst part about Black Mesa Source was that it eventually ended. I cannot give it enough praise. Just download it already it is free.

Black Mesa is pretty good, but I dunno why the gently caress they thought requiring crouch jumps for every jump was a good idea.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Unfortunately this game looks like it's going to be serious retard-face-cam bait. I can't find any that don't have one.

There was actually a hitbox.tv LP linked earlier that doesn't have any dumb face-cam poo poo. The game is kind of boring to watch though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

When is someone going to make another game that lets you pick up and examine practically every single object in a series of rooms in painstaking detail. Because I would buy and play the poo poo out of it.

Cradle looks like it is that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Going through some Japanese horror themed games and I stumbled on one I never heard about. Blood+ One Night Kiss, by Grasshopper and Suda51. It's basically the prototype to No More Heroes with some early rear end Deadly Premonition adventure elements (seriously, Francis York Morgan's running animation is identical to Saya's). A mediocre game by all definitions but stylish e.g. Suda's entire library.

Blood+ is one of those series that gets 50,000 adaptations/remakes/spin-offs for no explicable reason, and none of them are good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I heard something that vaguely implied something about Soma, and I want to make sure its not true. Its not all a dream or a hallucination right?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Nope. Trust me I thought that way too in the beginning, but noooooope.

Ok, just making sure, I don't want to waste my money on a game if its just going to end with some lame twist that makes everything that happens pointless.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

That game had people working on an English translation patch at one point, but it was unfortunately never finished.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Oh poo poo, a single player version of the Secret World? It seems like it could be such a great game if it wasn't trapped in a lovely MMO.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Park is really bad game that attempted to rip-off PT, is full of stupid jump scares, and has an incredibly predictable ending that you could predict right from the start. Also, its only 1 hour of gameplay, and not 2 like the devs claimed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

spoil it for me, i love dumb horror game twists

The protagonist killed her son, and the entire game is a hallucination she is having while talking to the cops about his "disappearance".

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 28, 2015

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the park from the TSW setting. In the game it's run by a guy who was using black magic and kidnapped/murdered kids to grant immortality or some poo poo.

They tie it into TSW in a half-assed way. The Park is also a real place in the game world, just not the version shown in the game. It also includes those lore bits about the park owner even though they are meaningless to the plot. Oh, and they have a bee in a jar randomly show up in the ending too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Rides With Strangers has some kind of contest going. The person who manages to get their audience to raise money on the kick-starter through some kind of referral system gets to have appear in-game as a stranger.

It's a good system to get loads of people to mass fund but it means we are going to get a loving pewdiepie stranger.

On a positive note it means there is a slight chance for a cr1tikal stranger

You get into the car, thanking whoever picked you up. You look at them, and then you realize its TotalBiscuit. *fade to black as a stock scream sound effect plays*

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Firstborn posted:

AH well. Worth a shot. I can always consume some media where someone is shooting a vampire in the face with a musket or machine gun or something.

I suppose The Witcher technically counts, right?

It doesn't technically count, its Geralt's job description.

Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines obviously has plenty of vampire killing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

It also sounds like its setting up an its all a dream ending, which is the lamest thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Corpse Party also has a gross scene where a sister molests her younger brother.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think even If its just walking through those amazing environments, its worth playing. Hopefully there will be more to the game though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Man, I wasn't expecting Inside to actually be a prequel to PIxar's Inside Out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

yeah, but unfortunately Swery has reactive hypoglycemia and is taking a break from game development, so D4 is now even less likely to be ever finished.

Also, while its not a horror game, it does have one really creepy character in it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

I just wanna post a lovely series of documentary-ish videos from a Harvester superfan, because:
(a) Harvester is a loving ridiculous, awesome game. Play it or watch a longplay of it, please!
(b) Behind-the-scenes stuff on niche weirdo horror games is always interesting
(c) It's well-edited for a newbie
(d) I like this guy's accent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONILAX6JT8

I'm scared by anyone who is a superfan of Harvester. Its such a morally repulsive video game. Yes, I know it was intentionally being ultra edgy, but I get the feeling that whoever made that game is seriously hosed up in the head. Hell, the lead actor was later arrested for being a pedo. Granted, the game is still somewhat fascinating just because of how morally repulsive it is. Also, the dying of natural causes joke is actually pretty funny.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

One thing that really sucked about Alan Wake's narrative is that they put in the revelation that Agent Nightingale is the only person that realizes that Alan's been controlling everyone through the story in a easily missed collectible.

It explains why he despises Alan so much and really humanizes him but most people miss it.

The book that came with the collector's edition also explains it. (That isn't much better admittedly.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Resident Evil 7 is actually a romantic comedy, where the protagonist has to convince his in-laws that he is good for their daughter.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So, on the official Friday the 13th forums some people were saying the virtual cabin was abandoned because people were taking Jason skins from the files or some poo poo, and that seems really petty of the devs.

They might be legally obligated to since they don't actually own the rights to the Friday the 13th franchise. Of course, they should give refunds to the backers if that is the case.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

"this is not horror video" - a big loving liar, 2016

A girl showing off her house after it suffered storm damage is hardly a horror video. Unless she doesn't have home insurance, then it might be really scary.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I didn't realize there was a quick turn button in RE7 until I watched some let's play after I beat it.

I wish your character had more verbs in general. Being able to lean around corners, dodge, or do literally anything other than crouch in the stealth sections would have been nice.

You can do them in VR, so maybe they couldn't be bothered to find a way to implement them for the normal version.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, honestly the thought process behind Nanashi not getting out (or at least how it did in some limited way) was super weird. Like there were stories going around that the game never got a larger release due to focus groups being confused by the first person perspective and the fact that it wasn't a shooter or some type of action title.
That's just what Square Enix wants you to think. Playtesters kept on dying in mysterious circumstances, and Square Enix had to cover it up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The first two episodes are great, the second two.....not so much. I think the game would've been much better if the episodes were stand-alone. The plot twist was really lame, and retroactively made the first two episodes worse.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

That scene sounds really bad and dumb, but if people want to play a game with that in there that is their prerogative. I'm glad I don't live in Australia.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but after falling off Resident Evil 7 pretty hard I'm confident that combat ruins horror games. As soon as I have to fight something I've checked out of your atmosphere completely and now enter win-as-optimally-as-possible gamer mode.

I think RE7's problem was that there was only one actually invincible enemy in the game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Any good horror games on sale now?

Resident Evil 7 is 40% off.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

RentACop posted:

What was that game in development where the guy is running through a ww1 esque trench and some gangly monster comes at him at the end?

Obviously you are thinking of that gaming classic, Necrovision.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure Too Human did well all things considered. What killed Silicon Knights was that X-Men game where you don't play as any of the iconic x-men. I can't imagine the licensing fees in a post Disney buyout.

The problem wasn't that you weren't playing as one of the existing X-Men. The X-Men universe completely supports adding a new character. The real problem was that the game was a complete garbage heap.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Kulkasha posted:

Bloodborne's true ending is a pretty brilliant inversion of lovecraftianism.

I dunno, turning into the thing you fought against is pretty lovecraftian.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The baffling thing I heard about The Letter is that apparently one of the major characters was designed by a backer. It's terrible enough when it's a minor character. At least it wasn't a furry character lol.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Reading a review the game goes from stealth to platformer when you hit the basement and now I want to watch a documentary about how this game got so hosed.

Its not very complicated. They realized that youtube LPers would do a new video everytime they put out a lovely new version of the game, so they kept cranking them out with less and less quality control.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Crabtree posted:

After somone else posted Gleaner Heights on Steam thread, I'm honestly curious. Can you make a scary Harvest Moon?

Logically I don't think its possible because good HM likes are the most tranquil, passive, relaxing things outside of combing sand in a zen garden. Horror in most of its incarnations when its good, utilizes a player's immersion to be afraid. Whether its making them feel intense disgust or uneasiness or just a cheap kick in the jump scare dick. While you could maybe cute up horror, I don't really think the harvest moon loving crowd wants to mix over into horror even if the other sure would love to creep out people who just wanna crop and pet some animals.

Like, you could probably just make it really David Lynch style weird, but I don't think you can really make both without one over taking the other.

Stardew Valley somewhat does this. Basically you really have to hide it, so it takes some effort to get to the horror elements.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of curiosity, could someone spoil some of the horror-y things Stardew Valley does? I played it a fair amount a while back, but never really ran into anything that would qualify.

Well for one thing you can turn your children into birds and erase everybody's memory of them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

People quickly realized the power was really on survivors, so that's where the pubbies flocked, but even in like Friday the 13th where Jason's the powerful character, a whole lot of people still seem like they go to playing counselor instead.

I think its because the strategy for counselors has been so optimized that its very difficult for somebody to win as Jason.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

friendly 2 da void posted:

I've wanted someone to make a "driving horror" game for years now and today I learned that not only is one in active development, it's one of the most beautiful/atmospheric games I've ever seen: Beware.

A demo just came out, here's a video of that (possible spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIeaXe9iik

The last 20 seconds of this volumetrics demo are uh, disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Gmibzwg4g

Driving in foggy conditions, on a bad road, with somebody tailgating you can be rather scary! :ohdear:

-edit
It looks like you even have to deal with road-rage.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch the Agony vid yet. I'm guessing it's not the mid-point between Bioshock and Zeno Clash I was hoping for?

It looks like the game shows all it has to offer in the first ten minutes.