Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Don't Use Vodafone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i've been flattening and reinstalling windows machines as favors for people since windows 95 and this is a completely new one for me:

it's a friends Toshiba laptop. the hard drive died so i replaced it and reinstalled windows 7. the laptop had windows 7 home premium (64 bit) so i downloaded and burned the iso from digital river (at a blazing 32kbps, only took 2 days) but the laptop apparently has problems reading burned discs. i really wanted to use the iso instead of his factory home premium disc because the burned copy had SP1 slipstreamed, but whatever.

anyway i formatted the HD and installed windows 7 home premium 64 bit and all the updates including SP1. i installed a bunch of drivers just fine, as well as a bunch of software (pdf xchange, 7zip, chrome, etc) without problem. however, iTunes and Office refuse to install.

they both spit out some crazy error i have never seen before. i would have chalked it up to Office being hosed up but iTunes refuses to install as well. i get "error 1935" in Office and halfway through installation it fails with that error and undoes any changes.

reading up for over a day and other people have had this problem, and some guide told me to change permissions for the entire C: or some poo poo. i did this and magically it loving worked! Office and iTunes installed fine. Except changing permissions on the entire C: hosed a million other things up (programs no longer had icons and other weird poo poo).

so i format AGAIN. this time i hooked up an external CD ROM drive thinking maybe the win7 disc i was using was corrupted (even though it was a retail, pressed disc). i get into windows after formatting, download all the drivers and updates again, and guess what? Office and iTunes refuse to install :smithicide:

i have never had this happen before, and i had just did the same thing to my dad's laptop the previous week so i don't know wtf. the only other thing i could find online was to uninstall .net framework which i did, but then when i tried to install other versions of .net framework, those installations fail as well!

TL;DR: formatted and reinstalled windows 7 twice and certain programs (Office, iTunes, .net Framework) refuse to install; other programs like Chrome, PDF XChange, 7zip install just fine

please send help

make a win7 bootable usb and install from that

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theadder posted:

they have a bunch of new customer stuff that looks good & i kept being told i cant have

the actual ~offers for james~ look p bad

the correct response to this is "oh so if I cancel my service I can get this?"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the best csv bullshit thing is Python + pandas + ipython notebook and maybe bokeh if you want nice graphs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

yes these two things, just do them and it's all OK

works for me

zero issues, even for obscure poo poo. i dont see what hte problem is.

the overvaluation of music and the poor monetary distribution of wealth, motherfucker

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

so part of me is wondering if my beast pc is costing too much to run./ the problem is it acts liek a "server" and torrents etc. i dont want to turn it off

but i aint going to compromise

so servers and remote access and windows.. fully doable? i mean a lightweight server that serves files and is always on an d torrents. my other pc gets turned off and on when necessary

does windows have an easy solution for remoting, so ui can do what i need on server but using my beast pc

surely this ia c ommon scanrio

also if i was to make leightweight server what kinds of processors etc,. ram quirements would there be. would 4gb be enough? im not interested in lightning here, i dont mind waiting 5 seconds for a movie tos tream or whatever

I bought a synology ds215j recently and it does just about everything I could want it to

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

i got a power measuring thing for $20 from mitre 10

my computer has an 850 watt psu and 2 big ugly gfx cards it cost about 11 NZD per year to run

also this, it's almost never going to be your computer unless someone's thrown a bitcoin miner on it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

so im gon build a pc for my brother. its basically gon be browse, itunes.. maybe watch youtube?

is those intel chips with built in gfx gon be sufficient?

yup

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Facebook recently started delaying my email notifications by 30 minutes. So like if there's a chat going on or comments on posts, it sends me the facebook notifications for them instantly, and then exactly 30mins later, it sends them through email. Is there a setting to fix that so it's instant again?

report it to facebook it's probably a bug that nobody notices because lol at email notifications for facebook

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

and now it just double opened tabs :wtc:

I had this when my mx520 was dying, maybe your mouse is hosed??

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

cool beans because i have an netgear wndr3700v1 but the ipv6 support is bad/nonexistent so i'd like to fix that with a firmwares

ddwrt is very good on this router, but mine is starting to show its age after a few years and the N wifi is getting a bit fucky

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
actual routers have trouble pushing packets over NAT without hw acceleration so yeah pick up something that runs openwrt and do the rest yourself

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
is there a way to rdp to a win7 desktop without locking the screen yet

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

my stepdads beer posted:

does DO have an overprovisioning problem because it feels like they do

that's their business model

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
are there any ocr things that aren't a piece of poo poo these days
I want something I can hook up a scanner to in my house that will ocr poo poo and group similar things so I can scan in all the dumb paperwork you accumulate as an adult

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

no idea how well this works but i found https://github.com/alxp/Tesseract-OCR-Workflow (its an automator script for image capture)

i've used tesseract to ocr subtitles before though and it works really well. there are very rarely any errors on normal text, and it even does italics while loving up only minimally. anecodtally it works far better than ms "MODI" ocr

tessaract seems nice, maybe I'll gently caress around with that

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Maximum Leader posted:

if a backend server returns 504 when using nginx, is it possible to just have it auto-retry? so the user never sees the 504

enjoy your hilariously awful debugging when this goes wrong and someone rightfully throws you out a window

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

realtalk though: mongo is garbage, since you have a graph you want to store maybe check out a graph database like neo4j

why is it nobody else wants to join me in changing the pronunciation to "neo forge"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the xbone is bad get a ds4

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's good, op

you used to put effort into these things, maybe it's time to retire champ

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
also check your tv actually supports the proper resolution, maybe check 720p?
also maybe try via VGA instead of HDMI

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
man you fuckin echi

that's some red herring poo poo about the driver though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

obstipator posted:

Finder for mac book osx is loving garbage. whats a alternative thats not complete rear end poo poo?

Finder is for grandma
learn to use the terminal

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

Everything runs, that's the whole point of a hackintosh. It's fun because I get to run this holier than thou OS on non-standard hardware.

the gently caress You Gary You're Not My Real Dad of computing

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

How does that activity generate profit for the Apple Corporation?

$100 a year dev license

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

im tyring to set up my old adsl wireless modem as an additional access point and i think its working i mean it seems to work happy as a switch and so things i have done : same ssid and password, different channel, turned off dhcp

BUT when the internet connected router is connected i cant browse to the 192.168.2.1 address for the access point router.

will the original router with the dhcp be blocking it??

e: well i still cant access the router but i got it working, just cant change anything wthout resetting it to factory LMAO

also its a bit useless. wanna use it as a wireless repeater but i dont think thats a thing its designed to do

how is your old adsl modem connected to your internet router? remember that you can't use the uplink port, your old adsl modem needs to be connected to your internet router via one of its switch ports

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Put your adsl modem on another range (like 172.16.0.0/24) if you can then that problem fixes itself.

much like the osi layer you've hosed up, this post is a #2

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

just one of the four network cables

the whole thing worked as intended except for losing the ability to access the router web page at 192 blah blah

put your main router as 192.168.0.1 and your lovely second router as 192.168.0.250

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

because if you have to go outside your subnet you're no longer dealing with just arp and that's piss on a physically connected local network

echinopsis posted:

by default the master is .20.1 and the slave .2.1

hmm, off the top of my head that should route unless it's refusing to shove packets back down the same port it received them on but just set the master and slave to the same subnet (.20.1 and .20.250) anyways

bobbilljim posted:

you're going to cause yourself extreme pain by having them the same name

same name different non-overlapping channel is standard practice

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

sorry. I meant get a modern amd apu

let us know if they ever make one

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
panic! at the dslam

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
also if you've flashed something like ddwrt or tomato you may lose hardware acceleration due to the driver depending on the manufacture which can severely gently caress your NAT speeds

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

youtube buffers really slowly in chrome, but if I switch to firefox it loads fast as gently caress. anyone know what might cause this?

i uninstalled all my extensiopns except for linkclump, tampermonkey and ublock and honestly if one of those is causing it i' m just going to switch to firefox

this is a dumb aside but i had this problem in linux and it turned out they were both using html5 but firefox out of the box on linux can't play anything above 480p without manual about :config changes and so was just very quickly loading 480p

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

don't use telnet ever, if a device doesn't support ssh and only supports telnet throw it away

RIP a shitload of networking, telecom, medical, etc. equipment

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

chaos rhames posted:

Is this cheap laptop dogshit or OK? Mostly for word processing amd internet browsing, maybe some small games. It's priced at like 500 ausdie bucks because a big tech chain is blowing up.

lovely proc, piss ram, spinning platter hdd, only 4 cell battery, meh price, Acer is garbage, no hope of its a turd cause you're buying from a garbage retailer going bankrupt

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
if you need a poo poo cheap computer just grab a HP from the soup nazi retailer MSY and you'll at least get an i3 for a similar price and use the difference to get one of the cheap ssds

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
like this pos http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/notebook.pdf

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 15, 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

just never buy an amd product ever

this too

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
mesh: not even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

shaggaring-free zone please.

I have a Mac that won't boot - white screen "of death" on a mac pro (about 3 years old)

Things I tried

- Recovery mode: can boot to recovery mode and run disk utility. Ran check disk, came back with no errors
- safe boot: apple logo then white screen
- regular boot: apple logo then white screen
- reseat HDD: apple logo then white screen
- plug HDD into another bay: apple logo then white screen
- reseat RAM: apple logo then white screen
- reset PRAM: apple logo then white screen

does this mean the hard drive is fubar

edit: did you know that if you clear /var/folders then your computer won't boot? last time I listen to snack overflow. good job me for just renaming it and not deleting it

try to boot a Linux from a usb to see if maybe your motherboard is hosed instead