Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CheeseFactory posted:

God I hope they gently caress gamebyro right off for next gen systems, it's really showing it's age.

Well, I spent a good $400 on my PS4 between getting a new BenQ 1ms gaming monitor, xim4 and the wireless gold headset. The results are pretty amazing though.

For those interested, the xim4 works a lot better with the PS4 than the xim3 did with the PS3, it feel more responsive and more accurate. If anyone has questions about it let me know.

My only question is how does it feel to be a little bitch who needs a XIM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat doter posted:

Here's a dirty secret: most of those games are actually really good and fun. Sorry that you think homogeneous boring rear end AAA games are more important I guess. And I say that as someone that generally likes a lot of AAA games.

I too find myself THRILLED AS gently caress when games that have been out for over a year on the PC are announced for the PS4. 15 bucks for a game that was in a humble bundle a few months ago!? NEXT GEN BABY

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fateo McMurray posted:

Not with game and HDD sizes we're not

What loving ever. Are you getting paid by Sony to defend their lovely rear end UI? It's lovely. The XMB was better so no wonder people are annoyed they took a step back for the PS4.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fateo McMurray posted:

If I was getting paid for this I'd be putting much more effort into it instead of just calling dummies what they are. Would it be nice to be able to organize the UI however you want? Absolutely. Is the fact that you're not able to The Worst Thing? gently caress no. If it takes you more than 5 seconds to find the game you're looking for then there is something wrong with you.

Yeah if they included customization in a future update I would like it. But if they don't, meh. There are much more important things to work on.

I think what would have been nice would be if Sony had like, finished putting together their UI and all the features they talked about pre-release before putting out their product instead of rushing it to market not even half done just so they could beat Microsoft to the punch.

Also let me uninstall the Playroom that I'm never going to use, as well as all the icons for the video apps besides Amazon and Netflix.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

limaCAT posted:

No Man's Sky without proper resource extraction and galactic trading is going to be useless.

Yes indeed a game about exploring brave new worlds will be terrible without an X/Eve like spreadsheet simulator attached.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PantsBandit posted:

"If you have arachnophobia then gently caress you."

I feel like this could be the official Souls game tagline, honestly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lblitzer posted:

It's also a real shame that you have to scroll through your friends list to see what everyone is playing, rather than having it tell you what friends are playing the game you're running on top and then everyone else. I hope they make some changes to the way friends are handled.

It'd be nice if it worked like Steam where it tells you when friends start playing games that you're currently playing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

As much as people on this forum bitch about it, a number of people actually like Borderlands humor and characters. It will continue to sell even after Destiny is out.

I'm one of those people and I really can't imagine going back to Borderlands after playing Destiny. The gameplay is that much better and Blands was always kind of a slog anyway. I guess I'll be looking forward to the Telltale Borderlands game though!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

katkillad2 posted:

You signed away your rights to a class action lawsuit a long time ago.

The only place in the world this has a chance of holding up in court would be the US.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uhh, I've been playing Diablo 3 and I just noticed that the maps don't seem to stay cleared? Is this an intentional thing, and if so, loving why? It's really killing my desire to play unless I know I have several hours to set aside for exploring. What sense does this kind of mechanic make at all? I'm not talking about respawning enemies, I'm just talking about the fog of war on the map.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

They're randomly generated every time you play.

Oh. Really? Well I guess that explains it. Seems an odd choice for at least the initial story playthrough.

Yeah, the more I think about it this is a really awful choice for the massive overworld sections. Nice for the dungeons I suppose.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 26, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

That said, it is pretty stupid that it's EVERY map. The dungeons of course are randomized but the overworld and towns are not. Just what entrances are available for cool extra stuff changes.

It's a really poo poo system for people that want to play little bits at a time, that's for sure. e: I guess I don't see why they don't just randomize when you finish the game and start over with a new character or start a new game plus. Do people in the middle of a playthrough really go back and trudge through slightly different maps of areas they've already cleared?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

tolaziforname posted:

I don't understand your complaint... you can get to the next waypoint on every map in twenty minutes MAX if you explore every inch of fog of war, then when you pick it up next you have that waypoint which allows you to pick up literally where you left off as long as you dont exit in the middle of a map or something.

Uh, no, not really. Certainly on the dungeon maps but definitely not the over world ones. Also it would be nice if the game had explained how this stuff works at some point. And like one of the posters above pointed out, the implementation of randomly generated content makes things seem really halfassed. Especially when it comes to map design and blue item names.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stux posted:

Just seems weird to complain about one of the hallmarks of a series 3 games in.

One of the hallmarks of the series is something that is only in the third game and makes exploration tedious?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

DrNutt I don't think you get Diablo. You miss the point of its genre. If you don't like it, and don't gel well with the mechanics of the game that literally every ARPG has, then you don't like it. The game is literally about doing the same thing over and over again with slight differences each time. It's understandable that some would seem turned off by it though. Most play it for the gambling slot-machine feel, which doesn't necessarily push the buttons in everyone's brain.

I guess? I liked both Van Helsing and Dungeon Siege III a lot and I thought I would enjoy Diablo since it's supposed to be the gold standard for the genre. I really am enjoying the gameplay, I just feel a lot of pressure to keep playing constantly so that I don't have to trudge back through crap I've done already the next time I turn the game back on.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Talkc posted:

Got Wood?

I think I'm eventually going to go with a mahogany/black titanium combo so that my PS4 looks appropriate for all the pixel art indie games coming out for it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haris pilton posted:

yes I'm in the EU

offtopic/ I've been lurking the SA forum for years now and it's so gently caressing cool I can finally post now!

:allears: This is pretty adorable. I'm pretty sure at some point most lurkers cum posters have made this mistake.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's still a thing? I couldn't imagine that would get into the final version of the game after seeing it in the alpha and beta.

People just need better gear, there's not really anything wrong with the way they are now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, just did the devil walker and sepkis prime and can confirm that that was terribly poor design. Both of the fights took us like 20 minutes per attempt (died a few times on each right near the end every time). We were playing with a level 7 pubbie who may not have known what he was doing too much but we were 8 and 9 with decent guns. It just came down to way more health than it needed to be, it stopped being fun and started being just a slog, other than the healthy the encounters would have been a lot of fun I thought.

Only other issue was defeating the devil walker and thinking dammit, about time we are done with this, only to go straight into ANOTHER damage sponge fight.

If it took you twenty minutes you are either a) exaggerating or b) didn't actually have decent guns. They reduced the health quite a bit from the beta.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rinkles posted:

The story is the one thing I wouldn't bring up when recommending First Light. It was tolerable at best (imo ofc).

I was really disappointed that it was a prequel, honestly, because we already had the Cliff's Notes version of Fetch's past and while I enjoyed her as a character, I didn't really give a poo poo about the fleshing out that they did. I much would have rather had an Infamous 1.5 using her perspective to give us a glimpse of the future.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
We're about halfway through September so I'm wondering if there's been any other news for when we might get system software 2.0? I'm really looking forward to it so I hope they don't make us wait until Sept 30th or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Manac0r posted:

Venus baby...!

While another opinion on Destiny isn't exactly what this thread needs, I just wanted to say it's easy to let the flaws of Destiny override the quailty parts. Anti-hype and unfiilled expectations will do that to you but drat it, we got a developer mixing it up trying to do something different and innovative (albeit currently flawed) and we bitch. No wonder COD gets rehashed year after year, better to be safe than sorry, right?

Destiny has potential, if you don't enjoy the core mechanics, that's fair enough, but moaning about narrative and set pieces is a little unfair. I just did the moon strike with some pubbies, and while we didn't have voice chat, after wiping a few times we managed to pull it together and had one of the most intense gaming set pieces ever, completely organic and self generated (level 10). Getting to Venus really feels like the game is hitting it's stride.

We can all agree to disagree and carry on with our daily routines, but Destiny has the potential to evolve into something worthwhile, and I for one am glad to be along for the ride.

I've had a lot of fun partnering up with pubs and doing strikes and I guess I'm just lucky to get matched up with competent players or something. It's felt a lot like Dark Souls or Journey and I'm kind of glad voice chat is opt in rather than opt out. When I want to chat I'll start a fireteam and invite my friends.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

revolther posted:

Everyone, who can't explain exactly why they enjoy repetitive actions with unchanging outcomes, loves Destiny.

I'm not an advocate of shaming the mentally ill, but that is insanity.

At some point folks should look at all the shameful design paradigms (from terribly addictive games, literally focus grouped to be addictive), that have become standard and maybe step back and collectively say, "NO!"

There is some serious evil infiltrating this industry called game, that has somehow out paced movies and television.

I too cannot understand why people would enjoy the gameplay of a game. You are an idiot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Surlaw posted:

For anyone not watching: Metal Gear Solid Collection 2014 is NOT a new compilation. It's a fashion line. Kojima is the best.

Well the joke is on me, I just sold my legacy collection since I don't currently have a PS3 and I assumed they'd soon be putting it out for the PS4. :stonklol:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Reverse Centaur posted:

Crap - I might have to buy a camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0zH4Z57mY

NSA already has all my iris scans etc from my Kinect days anyway.

I do hope that NBA 2K15 actually has a few different voice options this time around so my dorky looking white dude from Oxford doesn't sound like god drat Iggy Izalea.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I can see why other people find the humor and references of SR 3/4 to be extremely grating, but as someone who grew up in the 80s and early 90s they scratch a very particular itch for me. If I had been drinking milk during the strip club scene where Simply Irresistible started playing, it would have surely come spraying out of my nose.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FishBulb posted:

If its just a 'next gen' Dark Souls then I'm pretty god drat excited just by that.

I'm probably part of the problem because I'm genuinely saddened by the leap forward in timeline and pseudo-Victorian setting. I would have been happy with Demon's Souls 2, this time with mindblowing textures and hot rodded graphics.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Szurumbur posted:

I don't know if my standards are ridiculously low or am I just lucky, but I had never had any complaints about my PS3 or PS4's wi-fi, same with the Vita. Then again, the first time I was downloading from GOG.com I was amazed at the lightning quick 900 Kb/s speed, so maybe I'm behind the times when it comes to technology.

It's because you're not a sperglord. The speeds you get over the PS4's Wi-Fi are more than capable of playing online games fine with no lag. I imagine the issue most people have has more to do with download speeds. It is kind of an issue when games routinely come out and are 30-50 gigs but they do preloading now so... Wi-Fi away if it makes you happy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It is now 1993 and you are all dialing and redialing local access numbers to try and get logged in to AOL. The busy signal mercilessly mocks you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ahahahaha goddamn DriveClub. Just a disaster. This is why you do open betas for always-online games.

The "somehow" was the lack of an open beta (remember how bad Destiny was hosed the first couple of days during their beta period?)

It wasn't even that hosed for days. I had relatively few hiccups a few hours after launch. Bungie has made a few missteps with Destiny but how to do online is not one of them. More devs should take note.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I've seen trailers. I guess what I mean by weird is more Hideo Kojima weird and less Saw weird. Like, Resident Evil 4 had that weird Napoleon looking freak, giants, pretty ordinary villagers, and a giant crocodile and stuff like that mixed in with the butcher aprons and what not. The footage I've seen of Evil Within has more flayed bodies, butcher aprons, and people with clown masks and stuff. Things just look gorier and grodier, like a game equivalent of the Theon scenes from Game of Thrones or something. The goofy weird stuff in Resident Evil 4 made it a much easier pill to swallow for me than some of the Silent Hill games or other horror games that played it straight.

I might just be getting too old for utter grim dark.

It's worth noting that none of that super weird stuff in RE4 was really present in the marketing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

magimix posted:

While I wouldn't rule it out as a potential factor, I'd wonder if there was still more to it. For example, I'm nearing 400 friends (need people for leaderboard competition :argh: ) and haven't had any issues.

It's definitely not related to # of friends because I was having those issues even after paring my friend list down to around thirty or so. But it's also been about a week since I've had any of those issues pop up. The point stands that Destiny's online launch was relatively painless and I don't really think it's Bungie's fault that the PSN is apparently hot garbage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I played through the first little bit of The Evil Within (basically just a little bit before you get some cinematic main titles), and I think it's going to be good. Tone wise, it kind of feels like Shinji Mikami wanted to put an RE4 spin on Silent Hill, and the art direction and aesthetics to come out of that are fantastic. Having said that, I think my criticisms of this title are probably going to fall on the technical side of things. The black bars are the biggest issue I see at the moment, because it feels like rather than using them to provide a cinematic aspect ratio, they're just hiding stuff on the top and bottom of the screen. In fact, they made it difficult to see an item I need to progress past the first puzzle and seem to frequently hide interaction icons, which can quickly lead to death in a game like this. I really hope this is something that can be addressed in a patch at some point, but considering they couldn't lock the game down to 30 fps even with the lower resolution I'm not super hopeful. Looking forward to getting more time to play tomorrow but so far have not been let down in the creepy dudes with chainsaws department.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's worth noting that the biggest problem with the black bars in TEW isn't one of aesthetics, it's that they obscure poo poo off screen that you need to see, like interaction markers and even occasionally items. Really frustrating.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it really sounds like even the people that say they like Evil Within are sort of forcing themselves to like it. Every post I've read is like "it's fun! Except for the terrible checkpoints, low framerate, frustrating deaths, and so-so graphics."

So-so graphics don't really have anything to do with fun, and the frame rate isn't any worse than most games from last gen. There are certainly some criticisms to be made but that doesn't mean people are forcing themselves to have fun with it. I mean everyone here loves TLOU and that's about as unfun a gameplay experience that I can imagine so fun is apparently a pretty drat subjective thing. See also Destiny.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BitBasher posted:

Powerline is great. It's the next best thing to wired IMHO and creams wireless for connection stability. I've been using it for a long, long time before most people knew it was a thing.

People in games rave about it but over in SH/SC's networking thread it's basically laughed out of the room as a terrible option. What's the deal with that?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have Stockholm Syndrome from video games and I don't enjoy any of these pieces of poo poo but I keep playing anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Utnayan posted:

It would be really nice if people could say they dislike a game or like a game without someone posting about how they liked this aspect, and it could have improved on this aspect, and treating game reviewing on the forums of posting opinions like we all need to be in an Activision board meeting.

You're right, there is no need to engage in discussions of games in here, a sub forum for discussing games. That being said games is pretty terrible for reviews and acknowledging that opinions aren't objective fact. I also don't see why people bother posting stuff like "this game sucks/owns" without any elaboration.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly neither one of those games are worth trading Destiny in for but whatever floats your boat. There are going to be a gazillion new titles out in the next few weeks so you could be patient and not was your time on garbage (WatchUNDERSCOREDogs) or a game that performs terribly and costs about forty bucks too much to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No release date is pretty disappointing and makes me think it's taking longer than they expected. The USB Music Player is super exciting though.

• Locked thread