Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm pretty excited about re-REmake, but I want REmake 0 too. I really liked that game's setting. Most of it was on a train, right?

In any case, this'll be the 3rd or 4th time I've bought RE. I too have a problem.

Nope. Like 1/10th of it was on a train then the rest of the game takes place at a Umbrella training facility and some labs.

The only way I will even consider double dipping for REmake is if they allow us to skip the loading screens. After playing some of the games on PC and the DS version, they make the game go by so much smoother and so much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

G-Whizard posted:

This game was never on the DS...or PC.

Edit- Read that wrong. I see what you mean. Yeah my biggest gripe with REmake going back is the awkward laggy transitions between camera angles and in the cutscenes it does the same thing when it changes angles. I never noticed it when the game came out but I really do now. I would hope that's fixed. The door loading animation never bothered me, just felt like part of the game. I stopped noticing them after a while.

Sorry, I meant the originals. But the camera transition is noticeable, but I can ignore it. But one day I was playing RE:Zero at a friend's and he pointed out that I was watching doors open more than I was actually playing the game. After that, I have always noticed it and when you play on the DS, you can shave off at least 20-40 minutes just by skipping the door loading screens. They take up quite a bit of playtime.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sleeping Dogs was a fun game, but it wasn't double dipping remastered fun. I mainly played for the story, but since I have completed that, there isn't any reason to jump on it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Are people really still upset about the mass effect ending?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eek, kinda surprised at how weak Killzone Shadow Fall's first hour is.

On the one hand, its cool to see a bit wider of a playground and a bit of non-linearity - on the downside I feel like a drunken soldier stumbling into bases and tripping alarms left and right. I'm hoping this faffing about gives way to a more scripted shooter, or at least one that doesn't feel quite as poorly designed.

And I know the series has been moving away from that heavy weighty feel to combat and movement since Killzone 2, but this feels like too far in the other direction. It just feels very standard and stilted, miles away from the measured gunfights of Killzone 3.

Sure is purdy, though. And hey, I hear Wolfenstein is the real prize.

Shadow Fall becomes much more corridor and shooter oriented after about the first 2 levels. But the game just feels off and I can decide if I like it for it or not. Everything in the first few levels feel barren. Like hardly any enemies, but I guess its a decent change from shooting up armies of helghast.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

X_ThePerfect posted:

I apologise if this has been asked already but how is the co-op for Killzone?

I've been really wanting a good co-op game, I've been dabbling in Warframe but wouldn't mind more options.

Its quite honestly poo poo. Skip it. Its unbalanced as hell. But they may have changed some stuff. Last time I played was, unlock jetpacks, win.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Oh hey, wait for the end of chapter 7 if you want armies of helghasts.

I loved the second part of chapter 4 train mission and the second part of chapter 6 where you have to escape east berlin with the help of the daughter of stalin, but the end of chapter 7 is pure, unalterated bullshit with a topping of rushed ending. If I can't finish it off at easy mode I won't touch the single player anymore, and that's a pity because mercenary's single player was balanced way better and is actually replayable.

The multiplayer in Shadowfall is just way better.

Well, the very last section of the game is full of bullshit that rivals that of Killzone 2.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Really? I enjoyed the last mission with a more interesting player character and stealth powers much more than the "This is a Quick Time Event except it lasts four minutes" that came before it.

Oops, not that one. I meant the one before that. That one felt like more of a bonus than anything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I saw no bow users in that video :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I know a lot of people liked the previous killzone multiplayer modes, but they all felt like grinders to me. It has only gotten worse with each new game.

Also, holy poo poo those bf4 numbers, maybe I should get in on that

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 11, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I am really trying to like Strider but it just isn't clicking.

I enjoyed it when I was playing it like I couldn't stop, but yeah, everything about it just screams bland.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not gonna bag on you for jumping to conclusions but if you went back and played the series you'd probably be pleasantly surprised. or at the very least surprised. it's pretty much the weirdest mainstream game series that has ever existed. Basically the opposite of most dudebro games for better or worse.

To me MGS is basically it's own genre.

I would advise them not to do that. MGS is a series that has gone from being pretty drat obtuse game mechanic wise to actually catching up and being slightly ahead of the times stealth and control wise.

Trying to play the original Snake Eater and Subsistence is like night and day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Played Killzone Multiplayer again today after a hiatus, and I guess it is following in the series footsteps. Its a meat grinder with a bunch of ways to easily die. It sort of feels dumbed down in ways because as far as I know, you can't actually completely kill people like you could in the old games by shooting them once they are down.

But I guess I learned my lesson. I only jumped on because I saw Dantes playing and he is a good teammate to have in The Last of Us.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just bought Battlefield 4. Is there anything I need to know before playing? Is there a thread specific for PS4?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ularg posted:

Is anyone still interested in Killzone Multiplayer? I feel like it is pretty decent but playing it alone is a pain.

I still play every once in a while. I can only play for so long because it just becomes a huge clusterfuck after a while.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ularg posted:

I think Bill's town is the first good part of the game. The first area suffers from Tutorial syndrome and the area after Bill's suffer from "Well we got to have gameplay" before the king of all sequences Fall/Winter.

Seriously, if you feel like you are slogging through, knock it to easy and play at least until the end of Winter. I think Fall and Winter are probably the best parts of the game and worth the beginning.

This is like 75% of the game. Id say that if he doesn't like it by the time he reaches the bookstore in Pittsburgh, then he isn't going to like it.

That being said, I thought the game was pretty boring up until you start fighting the Hunters in Pittsburgh.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I would be more upset if it became more of a trend, but I thought the uncharted games ran well enough to where they wouldn't need the remastered treatment. Same thing for sleeping dogs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess Metro Redux is my next purchase. I am kind of bummed that they got rid of some of the special effects of the original, but maybe they can add it with a patch. I never got to play the games the first time around.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

First I've heard of this. What effects are they getting rid of?

This explains and shows better than I could.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2466623/metro-2033/metro-redux-review-the-definitive-way-to-play-metro-2033-and-metro-last-light.html

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone tried using their PS4 controller on PC? I looked into it briefly but saw all this stuff about having to download drivers for the xbox controller and change setting around and I just sort of decided I didn't care enough. I want to play Dark Souls though and apparently it's much better with a controller so I suppose I'll just have to figure it out.

This is the one game where it was better to not use the PS4 emulator because it acts up. Basically you use the 360ce app in a specific manner and it works perfectly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Christoff posted:

If only it was in the OP? Takes about 3 minutes to get going

I don't think that works for dark souls pc. When I did it, the controls were all hosed up. But it's the only game that ds4tool doesn't work on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I put about 60 hours in the original multiplayer, and about 15 in the new one, and it was and still is definitely a thing. It's incredibly hard to stop on poorly designed levels like checkpoint, where if you shack up in either house at the end of the level it's almost impossible to be flanked. The majority of the team runs skills that reward a lot of parts, and can easily build military sniper rifles after one round. When people take up a fortified position it really is very difficult to "burn them out", as they have a ton of cover in their buildings, and you will take a military sniper bullet to the head or chest in the time it takes you to aim the molotov.

Don't get me wrong. TLOU multiplayer is great, but there are some serious flaws that becomes more obvious the longer you play. Lots of levels have certain key chokepoints that are very hard to flank, which good teams will always abuse, making the map way more boring since it always revolves around that area. The balancing is off on some weapons like the bow and the flamethrower, and the skills also aren't really balanced either. It's not like I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who is brand new. I've put in a lot of time in the original and a decent amount with the new one too.

Yeah, the bow is a poo poo show in multiplayer. I don't know if its the netcode or the way the bow is set up but i have been shot by elbows with the bow and something is up with it because about 80% of the parties I see have at least 2 or 3 people rolling with one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Is PSN down for anyone else?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Surlaw posted:

Joel has no idea who those guys were or what they'd done/do even if the player does. That's what makes it so dark. Even if he did it's still gross to kill prisoners who currently pose no threat. That's what makes Joel an interesting character! "Defending cannibalism" is dumb. The story is so effective because Joel does gross, unheroic things.

Yeah I agree with this. First of all, Joel used to be a hunter. He even states that he used to ambush people to kill them and take their stuff. Even then, Marlene was the one that spared his life because she felt he was the only one that knew what kind of decision she had to make. Even still at the end of the game, when she hold him at gunpoint, she turns her gun off of him as a show of peace and he shoots her and then straight up murders her. Joel is a pretty monstrous person.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Space Racist posted:

I think the most positive thing anyone can say about Watch Dogs is that hopefully we're in for a AC1 -> AC2 situation where the sequel fully realizes the promise of the original. There's a skeleton of a good game there but it never quite comes together.

But that isn't quite where Watch Dogs is though. The problem with AC1 is that there just wasn't anything to do. The problem with Watch Dogs is that there is plenty of things to do, but they just aren't that interesting to do.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

haveblue posted:

Please be a Red Faction Guerilla HD remake :getin:

Probably not going to be this considering that both Red Faction Guerilla and Armageddon both bombed.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/volition-latest-red-faction-games-fell-short/1100-6406898/

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually really liked Saints Row 2. I thought it was a really solid game with a surprisingly decent story with a lot of stuff to do. I didn't really care too much for part 3 and 4.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Stux posted:

Has anyone played both the ps4 and ps3 versions of diablo? Is the ps4 version better enough to warrant it costing twice as much?

To be honest, no its not and I own them both. But get whatever has the most friends you want to play with on it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh I dunno, I only played that briefly. Can you permanently steal things that other players paid real money for?

You can pay money for gta money, and unless you have money on you, nobody can take it, and even then, I think the most someone can take is like 200 bucks per death or some small number like that. They can't steal your cars or weapons

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

I'm having a problem with my gold headset. While I was playing D3 a goon connected with me and for the life of me I couldn't hear him at all, only a slight whisper is what I got. I couldn't really double check if it's me or not cause I don't have too many friends on PSN. The rest of the sound from the game is good. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

There is a setting that says "sound/chat" that changes the balance of the game sound and chat volume. Mess with that and see if it makes things better.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

In other news, Killzone shadow fall is still being updated.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

GTA online still manages to be fun as long as you aren't grinding up from nothing. I played during the early days where money was much easier to come by. Hell, I wouldn't even mind buying some GTA bucks if the prices weren't so ludicrous. Last I checked, I think it was $20 for 1 million GTA bucks.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Spalec posted:

I just got a new phone that can use the Playstation App, I connected it to my PSN/PS4 and used it to scroll through my home screen on my PS4 which was pretty cool, is there anything else useful/cool I can do with it or games that make good use of it (or their own apps?) I know Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros has an app, although I haven't fired it up yet.

Assassins Creed 4 allows you to view the map and do the Kenway's Fleet stuff while you are away from the game. Ground Zeroes uses it as a map. Watch Dogs allow you to control the cops in the CToS Mobile challenges. Thats all I know of so far.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Its kind of funny watching how my friends list changes. Right now if I were to look at it, mostly everyone on there will be playing Diablo 3. Come Tuesday, that will change to Destiny.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well, I don't think the selection is terrible by any means.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dewgy posted:

E: ^^^^ Much less assholey, yes. I still think the fears are mostly unfounded and are definitely a worst-case scenario, but with it never being put into practice we don't know. I disagree on the PSNow kind of idea though, admitting the licensing system has flaws that err in favor of the consumer doesn't meant it has to be abandoned entirely. Also I'd say what I want is more like walking out in the first ten minutes of a movie and asking for a different ticket.

Well yeah but I decided arguing over this was more fun. :v:

Plus I decided to give it a fair shake. I really do think on further reflection Watch_Dogs just had a bad opening. I decided to do some procedural stuff first, after a fairly long day at work, which I doubt gave a great impression of the game overall.

Honestly, I thought the game was crap. The story is awful, the city is bland, and once you have done the activities, you have pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. Play up to the point where you can unlock all the skills and if you still don't like it, then it won't get any better.

I did like what they did with Iraq. He was a "stereotypical" character that is more complex than what he seems.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

My copy of Destiny just shipped from Amazon. Hopefully all the network problems will be smoothed out when I get home from work the next morning.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, something I was thinking was that even if Destiny and Borderlands have multiple differences, can anyone give me an example of a game that's more similar to Destiny than Borderlands (or vice versa)?

Halo. To me it feels like Halo with loot. The way you move, the accuracy of the weapons, the aiming. It all felt like straight up Halo.

In my opinion, that is a good thing, because I couldn't stand Borderlands.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

You realize that this whole conversation was inspired by someone saying "You can't compare them they are nothing alike!" when someone compared it to Borderlands right? Just give it a rest. they are similar games.

They are similar in that they are both First person shooters with loot. The comparison pretty much ends there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scyron posted:

Sorry I resent ATVI because they killed my career in the games industry over saving them 250k on a legal issue, while I worked for them. I am sorry I cared about my job, I looked after the company, 250 other people in the office don't know poo poo about hunting, and the issue slipped through 100 other hands by the time I touched on it, 9 months away from release and it was my fault I pointed out the writer hosed the company, our office, and I tried to fix it as best as I could!

Nevermind the fun issues I had with NASCAR and the legal sponsors 4 weeks from gold submission.

But hey you know, when you grow up, get a job you absolutely love, give 150+ hours in 14 days non stop and come in while a smile on your face but the gently caress face co-worker cheated and edited the database to get ahead of you, and you have empirical evidence that they cheated, it doesn't matter.

I'm bitter, pissed, resentful, despise every fiber of ATVI, I vehemently express this to every gamer in hopes they don't support that company that does nothing for the industry than makes games based on checklists of features based on the lowest common denominator of entertainment value. You're a loving tool for supporting them, bottom line. Sorry, hate me if you will, you aren't one of the people to get hosed over by something you love.

Just imagine Chester cheeto raping your supple sweet rear end in a top hat with this flaming hot cheeto, not caring to clean up the cheese dust after he does a line and walks out, while you cry not knowing whether it was consentual or not.

What the gently caress was this?

revolther posted:

So hilarious. You Destiny folks are like people still playing WoW; point out the glaring flaws, make comparisons to other games, lead them breadcrumb trails to a logical conclusion, and they nearly get there, then throw it all out and say NO IT'S DIFFERENT YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

The fact that you guys are insisting it's not like Borderlands, which was derivative of Diablo, because Destiny is more derivative of WoW are just making idiotic leaps of logic. Yes, surely it's more like a 3 player MMO than the 4 player RPG that MMO pulls from.

Goddamn are you guys going to crash hard.

Actually, I found Destiny to be more derivative of Halo than anything from the environments, the music, the look, the gunplay, the movement, the vehicles and the way they control. Even the weapon types are pulled right from Halo.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 8, 2014

• Locked thread