Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I love Vi but in this meta, youd be better of on Naut. Cinderhulk is amazing on him, and he's not top of the meta so he's unlikely to get nerfed soon. He's hard to gently caress up teamfights with, and clears healthier than sej. Everything is cc on him so his ganks are easy too.

I'd argue that if you're learning how to play a role the meta doesn't really matter. You're not playing ranked. You're probably not even all that high level and thus facing similar opponents, anyway. Don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

There's nothing quite like getting harassed by some lovely team mate for being "bad", losing, and coming out with an S- rank.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

My thoughts on Tamm is that he'll be yet another jungle-only champion.

There are a lot of those.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

A support who's passive was being a shop would kinda own.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

My non-30 self has never seen Irelia actually do anything in a game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

please nerf jinx she is terribly unfun to play against and im sick of her face

just walk up and punch her she's fragile as hell

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Quit getting mad at video games.

:frog:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The take away is it's fine to main something, just don't play it all the time.

I main support pre-30. Depending on what kind of support (I do Leona primarily with some Janna on the side) you can associate yourself with other lanes; Leona is basically top personified, though she'd be awful actually going up there, while the flipside is Janna is mid personified. Though you can kinda manage her there, at least. Take what your support of choice is and go bowling in another lane from time to time, on another champ; Melee supports go top, mages go mid, tanks go jungle. You'll still be familiar what with you're doing, but now you're actively right clicking minions, too.

I support Leona/Janna, top Riven and adc Jinx. (gently caress mid and jungle. Especially jungle.) Riven certainly plays similarly to Leona, so it was easy to wean off on.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

KamikazePotato posted:

Counterpoint: i do significantly better in ranked when I just ignore both team comps and just pick Master Yi. I would play him ADC if I wouldn't tilt the entire team by doing so.

Master Yi is kind of an outlier. Besides, I was talking about role, not a champ.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Speaking of AP

Playing Leona pre-30 I've had games where I kinda need to do way more damage then I'm doing because my team mates are dropping the ball, even if I have everyone CC'd. What's the go-to thing to build when I need to make zenith blade poke someone's eye out?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Libertine posted:

You lose the game in that case because your teammates are failures and Leona isn't a damage champion.

Sexpansion posted:

Build support items in another game with more competent teammates.

While true, I'm still hanging around for another twenty minutes so I have to make the best of it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

No, it's played on Summoner's rift. The ARAM map is just an event reskin, I believe.

Also, Valor is a parrot.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Janna is kinda lame cuz she's passive as hell, tho.

If your adc sucks then, welp.

I also wish her whirlwind didn't take up a huge amount of her mana bar, but oh well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

That's fair; I save the shield for my adc to harass and poke with zephyr, I hadn't considered shielding myself for it instead.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Did anyone try the river king yet?

He's an amazing support if people are good with him.

Slows plus a safety escape is all Jinx wants, really.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

oh, so thats how that items supposed to be effective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P2Xll1i4Ts

wait

wait

What the hell is this

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

fnox posted:

I seriously would like Riot to get their poo poo together with ADCs, they seriously need to step back their nerfs to Lucian (and Kalista to a lesser degree) and make it so they can have actually meaningful itemization choices other than the order on which you get IE, Zerks, PD, BT and LW.

What are you going to be able to change, really? By nature they're a "class" that right clicks a champion to whittle their HP away. Everything else is just a move to set up prime right clicking. It's not like more ability driven champions.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SaffronKit posted:

Your best bet is to play the game mode you enjoy the most. If you'd rather ARAM for your exp and IP, go for it. My only advice is to not focus on how much IP you're getting and just play the game having fun. Next thing you'll know you'll have enough IP for that thing you wanted! Then you do it again while having fun.

If you're not having fun, see the advice already given.

yeah but tier three runes cost like four champions for a single page

gently caress you, riot

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sona is just kind of a pain in the dick. On the plus side she usually ends up stealing the kills from their ADC, though a fed Sona isn't something to be trifled with either. She also dies if your adc actually stares her down, so in my experience try all-ining her. When I'm playing Jinx tho Sona and Soraka are the two champs I dread fighting in lane the most - Soraka's just annoying, but Sona can drive me into the ground.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'm not sure less, more condensed UI is good UI.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

wait why does Teemo need a buff? He's pretty solid, isn't he?

I fear for normals.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

welcome to the twilight zone

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Janna's autoattack is so slow it's loving annoying

But she has a teamwide heal. What, you're going to use it to get people away from you? gently caress that save it for the end of half a team fight, top everyone off and go tower crunching.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I haven't played in a couple weeks and lol at PROJECT Leona

They had one job; make something more swag then the Iron Solari skin. "Let's make just make Leona literally grey and boring but add TECH effects to her spells!"

What a shame.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

If we skip Ekko (always skip Ekko) that's three "pretty loving cool champions" from the League team in a row

maybe this'll be a thing

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Ekko is cool.

he's an anime kid tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

There are maybe... five champions I'm comfortable solo laning with. Ten that I wouldn't completely embarrass myself on. League's barrier to entry, and its complexity, isn't the runes system.

I'd argue that's part of the game's charm, though. There's depth to it, depth that becomes more and more prevalent the further along you go. Can you just right click minions without doing any last hit stuff and still win? Win your lane, even? Yeah, sure. Especially if the other guy is doing that, too, which is how matchmaking is allegedly supposed to handle things.

Is there a lot of information? Oh gently caress yes. Is a lot of it accessible in game? Not really, not practically. I could understand the argument for that being an issue, but when you're on a multiplayer only forty minute time sink no breaks allowed game you probably can put in some time for the well documented information, official and otherwise, around.

There's two barriers of entry. Knowledge and mechanical benefits. Now, I'll tell you straight the knowledge need is a poo poo ton lower then, say, Dota with it's puzzle piece team comp poo poo. But it's there. What do all these stats do, what do characters do (though you'll probably figure that one out by the game's climax) what you should take as items, what you should be doing, etc. Tooltips and recommended item stuff go pretty far for this but, hey, it's not perfect. You're not going to be a pro MLG player, no, but your numbers will go up and you'll throw good numbers at enemy mans and you'll play some god drat League.

Not with all the tips and tricks, but it's still a modest investment for a game that isn't a cookie cutter pick up and play thing.

Mechanical benefits are something you can't work around. You could be a Diamond player and make a smurf account but the mechanical barrier of entry is still there and lording over you. As a pre-30 (cuz I don't play that much I swear!!) person I can look at all the champ guides I want but what they advertise still won't necessarily work because I just don't got the runes. Particularly jungling, apparently! Those are mechanical barriers to entry that don't go away any time soon because a basic "catch-all" rune page for a lane or two costs the same as several champions and you gotta do that a few times.

And then specialize them.

Because, frustratingly, they do matter. That's a barrier to entry that doesn't go away for a long rear end time, while knowledge is one that gradually disappears if you invest a little time in the game beyond hitting the play button. :shrug:

wow that turned into a lot of text at twelve am

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think this rating system is broken.

Afk for the first five minutes, ping never went below 400ms. As Jinx. 6/5/3, S-.

what

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

leona is basically thresh but instead of pulling people into your cold embrace for like a second or so you run over and punch the bitch nerd in the face and make your team come up to commit instead of being scared pansies

and then you shoot lasers from space

Leona owns. (I just wish she did some actual damage on her own, too . . . )

ninjaedit: Leona doubly owns because her skill ceiling is a single skillshot that leads into her combo and if you miss it oh well, wait a few seconds and give it another go.

You really can't go wrong.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Really? I'd except Garen to just walk up and punch her in the face.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Monomythian posted:

I actually think Garen is super overrated, but maybe suck players always pick him because they expect an easy win.

My experience in bot lane "support" Garen is him walking up and punching me in the face, so :shrug:

(Does jack poo poo the rest of the game, but hey.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Methanar posted:

Hey remember when I said the skins were kalista and sivir?

I do.

who didn't say it'd be them tho

I legit thought this was a Starcraft Marine get up at first.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I want it explained to me what backend bullshit means that one game I can play perfectly smooth, clear as day and the next game immediately after has constant slide-show ping spikes every other minute with no change on my end.

Because it's a lovely roulette wheel.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Honestly, Graves is kinda hard to play because he's so short range. He's a tanky little poo poo, sure, but he'll get poked pretty badly. Jinx is anemic as hell but has incredible range and lots of toys to work with.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I've always needed a pro top pick...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SA is a hosed up place.

In other news, Garen is apparently a hard counter to Poppy. Because all of her gimmicks just don't work on him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Now that Kindred is here can we have hosed up all adc games that vaguely function? If you shove Graves up top you have someone for every lane. Make the meta happen!!!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Shankel Magnus posted:

I thought top lane was Quinn territory.

Play a bad team comp poorly

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I want to see Morganna or Lux one for all.

Have fun just straight up not moving ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SaffronKit posted:

We did Morgana with a stack of goons earlier today. The enemy team had picked Blitzcrank.

They surrendered very quickly.

Gotta admit, I thought it was both teams are one champ.

This is a lot more vile!

• Locked thread