Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So I decided to update my cube with some of the great 3-color stuff from Khans so I bought a box. Wizard's Towered with 9 packs then went home and opened the rest.

Final pack in the box, just when I think it was decent for value I pull this:

Welp, I guess that's value city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Went 2-1 at Gameday for 2nd place playing Mono Black Aggro. Got burned out by Jeskai Tokens in round 1 but took the following 2 in 2 each against Temur Monsters and Gb Devotion.

In game 2 against devotion my opponent gained 40 life off of 3 back-to-back Disciples and I still powered through, thanks to taking all his threats via Thoughtseize and Skullhunter.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If it adds +1/+1 counters I'm going to be using it in my cube. I hope there's a big white bolster creature and a small black bolster creature.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Oh man, already there are a few cards for my cube. +1/+1 counters EVERYWHERE!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Soulflayer + Gurmag Swiftwing. Who's going to live the dream at the pre-release?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So what are the best combat keyword creatures in Modern/Legacy?

Akroma, Angel of Wrath

e: and everyone's favorite, Chromanticore.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

A 5/5 Flyer for 5 is always good in limited. Thats the best I can say for that card lol.

If it's your only creature it's a 7/7 flyer for 5 (on the first attack). But if it's your only creature in play in limited its likely a 7/7 flyer for 5 still wont save you.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I appreciate the value, but what's with the throwaway bodies? Attacking with a 3/2 on turn 4 is terrible in this standard format, and it leaves you with a bad chump. As someone who was playing, then moved on from, mono black aggro early in the format I'm going to say this guy is less than standard playable.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
They're really cramming manifest on everything, it seems. Going a little hard on the mechanic for a smaller set.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man, is everyone forgetting this she STILL dies to Courser? gently caress that thing's fat rear end.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Obviously the solution is to play Chief of the Edge so you can swing at a Courser with 4/2 Alesha and a 4/2 Battle Brawler that you just brought into play.

After which your opponent drops a Rhino and essentially blanks all your future combat attempts!

e: If I reanimate a Kalonian Hydra with Alycia does its ability trigger?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
A few creatures with Power GREATER than 2 you can animate with Alycia:

Eidolon of Countless Battles
Nighthowler
Heroes' Bane
Undergrowth Scavenger

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Don't forget Raider's Spoils. Seems like the gas to keep a good aggro deck humming.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man, I'm going to jump through so many windows at the pre-release.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

odiv posted:

Playing Dark Deal early would certainly help out your Delve for the rest of the game.

Elf Turn 1, Dark Deal turn 2, Soulflayer turn 3?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I don't know how this set's going to effect constructed yet but I am definitely getting a few pieces for my cube.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
KTK pre release I went Mardu and got Crackling Doom as my promo which I rode to a 1st place finish along with all the removal ever. Planning on doing the same at the FRF pre release.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The more I think about it the more I'm torn. Mardu served me so well at the KTK pre release but blue is just evasion out the nose this set.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Did a midnight last night with 3 buddies, making up 1/3 of the 12-person crowd. All 4 of us opened Mythics in our seeded packs (two Jeskais opened Soulfire, Temur opened Shaman, I, as Mardu, opened a Brutal Hordechief).

Then one of the Jeskai guys opened a second Soulfire GM. And the other Jeskai guy? A foil Ugin. I opened ONE other playable rare (Phoenix) from my whole pool. I still went 2-1 for 3rd - turns out rushing in Mardu Scouts (3 in my pool), Hordeling Outburst, and Ponyback Brigade all play really well with Hordechief. My Highlight was activating Hordechief and having my opponent quintuple-block a 1/1 goblin.

Who came in 1st and 2nd? My Jeskai-playing friends.

No one opened an Alt-Art Ugin from our pool of 12. Organizer said it's a 1/40 chance to get him in the packs.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone going down the Tasigur Whip rabbit hole?

Currently testing him as a 2-of.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

I think you want him in a Sidisi shell, not a constellation one.... Could be wrong about that though...

That's exactly what I'm testing him in.

e: He's a method to dig for whip before you have a whip. If you have a whip on the board he doesn't serve a lot of purpose aside from being a body and trying to get fuel in to your yard.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

He's' awesome in any late game stall. How many TC are you playing? I was even thinking of one of dead drop or 3x TC just because delving bad cards out of your GY makes him so much better. If you're playing Torrent Elemental even more so.

For the same reason I've tested Tasigur I'm actually testing DTT rather than cruise. You NEED the whip, and if you don't have it then games are painful.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
There's got to be some kind of weird Mardu Purphuros/Elspeth/Hordechief brew out there right?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that if you were trying to make a Purphoros deck you'd probably just prefer to cast Hordeling Outburst and Raise the Alarm to the extent necessary.

Absolutely, but Elspeth is a repeatable source of tokens and Hordechief gives you the reach to break through a board stall. I don't doubt that Outburst and RtA make the cut for this kind of deck.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

If this is a good deck it should win before Elspeth is relevant. You're not gonna out midrange Abzan decks with tokens.

That's the point of Purph and Hordechief. The reach means you don't have to swing through midrange.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Facetoface games is probably the best, I've never actually bought a box from them, but when I looked their prices seemed reasonable, and the one time I bought singles it was a smooth process and was fairly quickly shipped.

I'll second FaceToFace. I pre-ordered FRF singles that shipped and got to me within 3 business days.

Dont know how they are for boxes, though.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

always be closing posted:

Any cards spiking unexpectedly as the insiders prepare?

Oddly enough my fried just commented that Leonin Shikari just jumped up to $10 for no known reason.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/darksteel/leonin-shikari

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

Tiny Leaders is the reason there I think.

I explained it as the same thing but none of the other staples for a Tiny Leaders deck spiked as dramatically.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I fully expect that Wizards already has a counter for Siege Rhino prepared and ready to drop in Dragons/Origins.

Khan's Hunt (alternatively 'Ugin's Disgust')
1BB - Sorcery

Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all multicolored spells.

But for the more universal:

Ugin's Decree
2 - Legendary Enchantment (colorless)

When ~ enters the battlefield name a multicolored spell.
The named spell can't be played as long as ~ remains in play.

Basically I want a colorless Meddling Mage or a New Persecute. gently caress Rhino (and Anafenza).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Regarding Most Expensive Cards:

I've got 3 Dark Confidants from my heyday in Ravnica, and they helped me T8 a Provincials back when they were a thing. But one of those Bobs is foil, clocking in at around $200 apparently.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Zonekeeper posted:

Finally found my old Ninth Edition Fat Pack player's guide, and here's proof that Baneslayer's art was originally intended for Serra Angel:

Also with bonus unused second draft.

Do you still have the matching boxes with Serra Angel and Hypnotic Spectre? I do and they still serve me well to this day.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Zonekeeper posted:

I do indeed! I use them as storage for my commander stuff. They also have awesome art:

That's the stuff. People still ask me where I got them to this day. I use them to carry my cube! I also have the Ravnica one with all the guild leaders on it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Eliminate Lands, Draw 2 Cards every turn, turn up to 1 card in your hand in to a resource of the card's color every turn. Remove mana screw or flood from the game entirely.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hedron Crab is literally one of my favorite cards in Magic, it's a downright evil, evil, card if done right.

Absolutely agree, the reason it's in my cube is because of how fun it is to drop turn 1.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

En Fuego posted:

Snow lands is a viable tactic in mono-colored EDH decks. It enables things like Strata Scythe without usually helping opponents. I know there are some other interactions, but that's one.

Extraplanar Lens, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I look forward to saccing a Satyr Wayfinder to NewSidisi every time.

• Locked thread