Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
YouTube supports 60fps videos now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbBMfaas6iY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This was posted earlier today, but didn't get linked here, so... TF2 Workshop contest for Tomb Raider-themed items.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, doesn't TF2 still bring in more money despite having like 1/5 the playerbase of DOTA?
From SteamDB:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Sorry, what's that measuring? Number of players, or money?
Oops, sorry. It's number of players.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the EOTL director's Tumblr:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like something new's coming: The default wrench now has a weapon description, and there's an unused sound definition for a "Speedpad" building.

code:
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ //
// SPEEDPAD
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ //
"Building_Speedpad.Boost"
{
    "channel" "CHAN_STATIC"
    "volume" "1.0"
    "soundlevel" "SNDLVL_74dB"
    "wave" ")weapons/speed_pad.wav"
}

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fishbus posted:

That said, all the decent mappers have gone elsewhere, after cosmetics/weapon stuff came out mappers realized they may be getting a shorter end of the proverbial community backed money stick.

You get what you pay for. Works both ways I guess.
While hats obviously get more money, apparently the money for maps has increased in recent years:

ScorpioUprising posted:

I think you guys might be slightly underestimating the payout that you get when a map goes official. When Valve bought Standin and Process, I was expecting two thousand per map (going off what I heard mangy mention when they bought Yukon). It was actually seven thousand per map, a sweet fourteen right away. At the time I was super worried about having to find another job to make ends meet, and that pretty much resolved it immediately, and I could spend the next six months working on TF2 maps.

Also, stamps are actually a real thing. You might think they are just a small donation, pocket change. But actually, I made a pretty substantial sum off them immediately. When I got my first month's payment it was three thousand. The next month was two thousand, and then one thousand five hundred, back up to to two for the two city's update, and so forth. Now its down to about four hundred a month, but even so over time it was a pretty substantial amount that I've been able to live off for quite some time (not so much now, I'm having to look for work quite quickly).

So, as far as compensation goes, I don't think its so much of an issue really. Yes, you aren't being paid as much as item makers, whose work is sought after by very interested parties for a variety of reasons, but it is certainly quite a bit more than you might imagine. Now, whether or not that is equitable in terms of amount of time one spends on a map versus an item, probably not. But given Valve's strategy regarding user generated content at the time, I think its more than enough as currently stands, and unless someone comes up with an amazing way of syncing the store and community maps (something to rival the item system) its the best we can expect.
Yes, this was news to me too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

People have insane expectations of valve and tf2 for some reason. They honestly expect that valve would have hired voice actors, modelers, etc just to improve a tf2 community event.
Valve actually did offer to bring in the TF2 voice cast for the video, but the director wanted to keep things silent.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Although IIRC he professionally does similar cutscene stuff for Bethesda. I might be thinking of a different SFM-er though.
McVee worked on cinematic stuff on Mass Effect 2 and 3 before EOTL. I think he's gonna try his hand at indie dev now? Not sure.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The TF2 subreddit hyped the poo poo out of the thing.
Imagine how they're going to react when Half-Life 3 is announced and it turns out to be a mere videogame.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

Valve is just fortunate that this didn't blow up into another "give diretide."
The subreddit tried to kick off a "GIEV SNOWPLOW" but the admins started hurling permabans around and that shut things up really fast.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

What was the weapon that Valve supposedly released early, anyway?
The Back Scatter, apparently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

So are the ducks a permanent part of the game now? I know TF2 has all sorts of wacky stuff going on but having exploding ducks pop out is somewhat distracting, and just a little too much "lol how random".

Also kind of bummed that the payload carts seem to have been redesigned. I don't like change dammit! :bahgawd:
The event ends January 5, so I assume the ducks and the EOTL Payload carts will go away around then.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've sort of wondered what a Medigun whose Uber gave the target high-speed ammo regen would be like. Probably not very fun to fight against.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
McVee posted a couple of taunts cut from the End of the Line update:

This was cut because it didn't really have anything to do with EOTL, it might pop back up in the future.

This was cut because it looked bad the moment people broke formation, and they had trouble figuring out making it look right and keeping character personality when, uh, turning.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, the red side of Asteroid's been prettified:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Apparently Valve has just enabled a restriction on all tf2 items bought from the marketplace and other places where they will be untradeable for one week to reduce fraud and scamming.
This also effects all CS:GO and Dota items.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bowmore posted:

Does anyone have a link to the new festive/community items? I want to look at them and pictures are not showing in the thread for some reason
http://www.trade.tf/items/updates

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Jesus, Baby Face's Blaster + Strength rune can really wreck faces, especially if you can monopolize the Quad Crit powerup.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A friend of mine made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tmcsSGO3J0

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

What happened to that one? I haven't kept up with it.
They fired the PC version development team and are focusing on a PS4 port that's apparently months behind the PC build content-wise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, um, the SFM folk are at it again. 21 minutes of high quality dead game fights in 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSQJbA9ZuL0

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Han Nehi posted:

Awesome. I wonder how many hours of work went into this. I'm guessing "a lot".
The video description says it took six months for one person to make (with someone else chipping in textures), including 150 hours of pure rendering. It wasn't the only SFM thing he was making at the time, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The update also has unused, unfinished animations for an all-class "vehicle" taunt.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

adding LODs to hats and items that still need them
I'm reasonably certain that CS:GO and Dota don't even HAVE model LODs anymore, so don't hold your breath.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, based on the Stream and some corrections posted on teamfortress.tv afterwards, here's a few more details about TF2's Matchmaking Digital Sports Future:

• They're open to the idea of supplying merch and other such doodads for big tournaments that ask nicely to use as prizes
  • They don't want to force item restrictions, but a Dota-style pick/ban system can give them information they can use for balancing.
  • You can queue with friends like in other Valve games.
  • They don't seem 100% sure as to whether there'll be a entrance fee of some kind ala MvM, but there'll probably be some kind of stat-tracking item.
  • Mannpower will not be involved in matchmaking, it's just a fun side-project they decided to make public.
  • A port to Source 2 is not in the cards in the immediate future - they don't see a reason right now.
  • There'll be some kind of levelling system based on how good you are overall, not just with your main class?
  • Reports of "20 or so" devs working on TF2, sharing a room with the CS:GO dudes.
  • Release date: "soon".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

notZaar posted:

I wonder if that Robin guy still works on the game, they used to namedrop him a lot in the updates.
IIRC he moved to the Dota team early on in that game's gestation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Can someone explain in detail how to activate scripts? I've tried to create a soldier.cfg engineer.cfg, autoexec.cfg and upend the scripts to config.cfg, and none of them actually activate. Am I reading the wrong guides, was there a recent change, is there something I'm missing entirely?
Class name scripts execute when you switch to that class. Autoexec executes when the game loads. Config.cfg shouldn't really be touched.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anarch posted:

I forget why I never got around to playing SMNC, even after enjoying MNC. Didn't Uber do something stupid like hide a Bitcoin miner in the code and play it off as an April Fools' joke?
They didn't hide it, they promoted it as an alternate way to get their equivalent of crate keys. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the SMNC team weren't enormously intelligent.

Collateral Damage posted:

Nah, Loadout was made by Edge of Reality. They made pretty much the same mistakes with Loadout as Uber did with SMNC though; enabling pubstomping, lovely business model, no anticheat. The latter was compounded by the best weapon combination in the game being a hitscan laser.
You missed the bit where they released a MvM-style co-op mode in beta for testing for a while... then removed the beta, made the new game mode exclusive to the PS4 version, and fired their PC dev team.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Kritzkast folks are doing another run of Meet Your Makers interviews with community folkses. The last day (tomorrow) includes a Q&A with Valve, which should be interesting as apparently they sprang a couple of surprises like the Map Workshop, but in the meantime you can read about how some folks have had their lives changed for the better by making videogame hats (and maps and movies, but who cares about those?)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Jay Pinkerton (the lead writer on TF2) recently opened up about the TF2 Comics stuff on Twitter. Apparently the long delays are because everyone involved gets busy with lots of other work on Valve and Steam projects (Or because he thought "bi-monthly" meant "twice a year". Whichever explanation you prefer!), but it's not dead!

You know who is, though?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yd1YpPZ0XM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

boo_radley posted:

also what kind of high school blender tutorial did these skins come from
This one. Valve waded into CS:GO's weapon skins system by shipping a bunch of designs ranging from realistic camoflague patterns to gaudy paintball stuff, to cover all bases. Looking at their data, they realized that the gaudy paintball stuff was by far the most popular, leaving the realistic camo that they thought was cool in the dust.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Slime posted:

Is this update good or bad? I don't know.
It's both.

THE GOOD:
Balance shake-up
New maps in a form where 99% of servers will actually play them
New and exciting ways to express my videogame merc dolly's individuality
Cardboard box taunt!!!

THE BAD:
Balance shake-up (depending on which classes you love and hate)
Some hilariously gaudy weapon skins
Reddit will never, ever, ever shut the gently caress up about getting Snowplow into the game
I'll have to update FrankenHUD for the first time in like a year and god I hate VGUI script so much

THE DUBIOUS AND UNJUDGED:
Filching weapons off the corpses of your victims

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My dumb, poorly-considered thoughts on this update's maps:

- Powerhouse: Had a great time playing this one. The inside of the bases can be pretty stalemate-y sometimes, though, and some rooms look oddly plain.
- Borneo: Seems alright. Nothing too amazing, but a fun enough payload map. Custom assets blend in well with Valve's.
- Sujin: Every map in TF2 runs at ~100fps for me, except this one which drops to ~30. Also, it's basically a very pretty corridor.
- Snowplow: Unclear what relevance the train has to the CP objectives, frequent crashes, sometimes floods the console with errors every frame... Valve Was Right. The addition of music is nice, though. TF2 should have more contextual music.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Last time there was a glitch that let you craft things you shouldn't, Valve replaced all the resulting items with a "nice try" item, so you might well be wasting metal and weapons by doing this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

That was because said item wasn't even usable by players. It was a coding thing for the MVM robots that somehow slipped into the crafting system.

Has anyone even pulled it off? It might have gotten hotfixed by Valve already.
Here's some results folks posted on Facepunch:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

braden posted:

Hey is that Frankenhud gonna get a hotfix? :)
Delete your current FrankenHUD install
Go to https://github.com/TheKins/frankenhud
Click "Download Master"
Shove the "hud_src" folder into your tf/custom directory
Enjoy a mostly-hotfixed, but still slightly wonky FrankenHUD

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jippa posted:

Every one is downloading the update which makes the item servers go down. Should be fine tomorrow, they are just overloaded.
The item servers seem to have been turned off for a little while due to a bug that lets people craft things that they shouldn't be able to craft, like Australium weapons, stock weapons, promo weapons etc.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

Maybe has to do with that recent crafting glitch?
It's a different glitch. Apparently you can get Killstreak Kits that aren't tied to a specific weapon and thus can be applied to pretty much any non-stock item, including hats and medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

I feel a little silly for linking this, but you can email Robin Walker with some brief and polite feed back about the server change.

Saoshyant posted:

Robin Walker hasn't worked on TF2 since Dota 2 came out, I believe.
Yeah, Robin's part of the Dota team nowadays. If you want to send comments, questions, scathing criticism, bug reports etc. to the TF2 staff, change the recipient on that page to Eric Smith or TF Team.

• Locked thread