Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh hey, it's the room I was talking about!

Your Computer posted:

What's your favorite new room? Mine has to be the small room with like 6 full grown Blastocysts. Completely unavoidable damage until they're all dead! For added fun, I had Death's Touch so after all of them split twice they literally filled the entire room.

That streamer even has Death's Touch too :haw:

e: I should watch some streams too, watching their reaction to the shitshow is bound to be more entertaining than actually playing Afterbirth+.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

For the record, I have almost 1200 hours clocked in and I've found myself disagreeing with nearly every complaint people made when Afterbirth was released because I never found the game to be difficult.

The complaints that I've seen (and made) haven't been about difficulty though; it's about fairness. I don't have problem finishing runs, I just think it's dumb and not fun to take unavoidable damage. In addition to the increasingly less skill-based gameplay, there have been a ton of unfun items added to the pools which means the actual good and fun items are fewer and farther between, and some things like pills are just never worth taking anymore.

Afterbirth+ does all of this and cranks it up to 11.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The portals haven't felt that difficult to kill to me, even on the first floor. I like that they force you to try and focus-fire something. I guess they could be a problem if they're located within a chokepoint but that seems fixable.

We've been saying "but that seems fixable" since the days of the original Flash BoI, I think it's time to acknowledge that it's never gonna happen.

The spawners that are placed inside chokes are placed like that because Edmund wants you to take damage killing them. Snowball or die.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

As I said, I never understood the complaints made about AB being unfair, because I found the increase in challenge to BE fair. Some of it was flat out annoying, to be sure, but I could easily win 99% of my runs with any character.

I think you misunderstand my use of fair. "Fair" in this context doesn't mean whether or not a run is winnable (like you say, that's not really the big issue) but whether any run is winnable. The essential litmus test for this would be "Is it possible to clear the entire game with zero items without taking any damage, through skill and skill alone?" You could also ask yourself after every damage taken (and by extension, every death) "Was this due to a fault of my own?" This is why The Lost seemed very interesting to a lot of us when he was released; If such a character exists, then surely the game must be (or strives to be) objectively fair? Of course, this was not the case.

The Binding of Isaac used to be very close to being objectively fair, which is what drew a lot of us to it. A few tweaks here and there to change rooms with unavoidable damage or damage/flight checks and that's it. However, with every content patch since the game first came out they've moved further and further away from this and it's pretty clear at this point that Ed never intended the game to be like that. Probably because it's actually very difficult to design encounters that are both challenging and completely fair. :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the mod tools are separated from Afterbirth+. Trying to balance Rebirth or Afterbirth might be a fun enough job, but if you can only mod Afterbirth+ then it seems like... too much work.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

seemed rushed and unfinished

They were compiling and uploading the DLC to Steam after it was already supposed to be released. There's no way it isn't rushed, and it's probably not playtested either. :thumbsup:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I try to play Afterbirth+ I end up quitting because I'm rolling my eyes so hard it starts to hurt :(

The stone fatties, monster spawners, The Blastocyst Room™, unavoidable damage after unavoidable damage. And then I pick up a new item and it's like "oh, it's literally just one of the old items but it drops a random trinket on pickup :geno:". Everything feels cheap and I legitimately think Antibirth feels more "official" than this expansion.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I do that, and it's still annoying because he can spam head tosses and heal up. It's not hard, it's...why is this a basement fight? Why do I need to be THAT on point in the first fuckin' floor? That's the core of my complaints about this game's expansions, it's not that it's more DIFFICULT, it's more boring and I can't be bothered sometimes. Also if you're consistently killing the head before it spawns a spider on base Isaac damage you're a way better player than I am.

Also Dingle is braindead easy and there's no chance of random RNG loving you there.

It's like when you run into Envy on your first room; just reset and you'll clear the Basement faster than if you fight it.

And yeah, Dingle is a great example of a well designed boss fight. I thought it was super hard at first, but now that I've got the hang of it and learned all of his patterns (read: no RNG) it's super easy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

Those who feel mods will save AB+ set sail for sadness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2h2IpkqSo0

Nicalis... is...? Incompetent!? :aaa:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SaviourX posted:

So, is the general consensus 'wait for a few patches and see if they balance out the bullshit'?

Or just 'go play Antibirth'?

Just play Antibirth :3:

The new items, bosses and enemies are incredibly fun and interesting and in general it seems like a lot of thought has gone into it. It does have some badly designed rooms (like every Isaac installment before, unfortunately) that have flight/damage checks but in general it seems like they have a better vision for the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think he makes a good point; how are you supposed to make interesting mods that add interesting stuff if you're gonna disable progress? How would a big mod such as Antibirth even work if you're unable to save?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know what I just realized?

Edmund obviously wants the game to be harder, and a lot of people enjoy the added challenge.... but didn't he add a hard mode for this purpose? The solution is so simple! Put the new crazy bullshit like monster spawners and stone fatties in Hard Mode. Make Hard Mode have a purpose! A lot of people only play Hard Mode anyway since you need it for unlocks, but why not make the two modes actually differ from each other so that people who want to just play casually can do so in Normal Mode without every other room on the Basement having spawners and stuff.

too bad the modding tools suck rear end and this can't be done with a mod

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I want the game to be hard, I just want it to be hard in a fair and fun fashion.

We all do, except for Edmund. :hfive:

I just think this solution is so obvious I don't understand why they haven't done it. Back in old Isaac they didn't have a Hard Mode so the expansion (WotL) was basically considered that (aka. play this if you want harder content). Now that so many people play the game and they have a dedicated Hard Mode why on earth aren't they using it like that. The expansion follows the old format of "new content BUT HARDER!" when a lot of people just want new content. Hard Mode would be the perfect place to stuff the harder bosses and enemies (heck, even floors and curses).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Ed thinks dying through no fault of your own is Actually Fun and that if you absolutely must stand a chance then resetting until you get something worthwhile is Just Good Game Design™.

e: no way I'm combing through his tweets, but didn't he literally at some point say that dying to chance was one of the charms of the game or something to that effect?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

And Antibirth also has a boss that just makes you feel bad for killing. I mean... I get that it's got annoying attacks but look at that expression of joy on its face.

That thing is pretty adorable in action :3: It was the first boss I fought in Antibirth and it reminds me of Dingle in that it seems like a total jerk at first but then you learn its patterns and it's actually a very well designed boss!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

If he indeed said that, it's horse poo poo and I couldn't disagree more.

However, people have been talking about "unavoidable damage" since forever. "Mega Fatty's quick stomp is unavoidable", "Adversary's Curve Brim is impossible to dodge", "It's not possible to outrun The Haunt's ghosts", etc. etc. ad nauseaum.

I chose these examples because they're all perfectly avoidable if you've experienced them a few times. There are obvious tells and different movement styles you can use to your advantage. Yet somehow people still cry about them. I'm not saying there aren't unavoidable situations in the game - Polycephalus surfacing on top of you or Daddy Longlegs' feet hitting you at random - and that they shouldn't be removed, but I feel like the majority of people's complaints about getting killed unfairly is totally a fault of their own.

People will cry about anything. See: Dingle

The game has a literal poo poo ton of actual, real unavoidable damage though even if a good deal of it is damage/flight checks (e.g. "have this much damage/flight or the damage is guaranteed). Rooms, combinations of enemy champions, new enemy spawner combinations, un-telegraphed boss attacks, the list goes on. I know you really like to defend this game and that you have 1200 hours and yada yada, but surely even you can't deny how much of it there is now with Afterbirth+? For the record I've spent over a thousand hours too, and I obviously enjoy(ed) the game. I just think we should be able to call out poo poo for what it is. poo poo.

e: which is why I was wondering earlier if the mod tools are ingrained in Afterbirth+, because fixing all the unavoidable damage in this expansion would be a real headache. When I heard there were mod tools, I wanted to take a crack at fixing the unavoidable damage in Rebirth or perhaps Afterbirth because back at launch there was way less of this. With every expansion it has just gotten worse, unfortunately.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 7, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

however bad ab plus is, victory laps fucken rock

It's basically the best concept ever in a game like this (yes I'm the type who have totally abused Undefined to do the Chest over, and over, and over until the item pools are depleted.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

How Rude posted:

After having not checked BoI news in a few months I suddenly noticed that Afterbirth + already came out!!!

Is it good/better than Afterbirth and is there anything I should absolutely know before trying it out?

I disliked it enough to uninstall it.

It's just... so bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's stuff in AB+ that's harder... but most of it is not the fun kind of hard. A lot of the additions are extremely tedious, and there's more unfair damage and flight/damage checks than ever before. Also the quality and creativity of the content pales in comparison to Antibirth. The new bosses suck (the end boss is interesting, but still extremely bugged and unfair even after patching) and a lot of the new items are really uninteresting. The new character is literally just a vessel for one of the new items, otherwise he's just default.

It did add the mod tools which have the potential to be used by us fans to fix some of this bullshit, but as of right now they're both badly documented and critically lacking in what's actually possible to do with them. Don't expect any of this to change anytime soon (and honestly, considering their track record I would not be surprised if Nicalis just dropped it and said "nah we're done" like they have before).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

I don't get this complaint; isn't this true of nearly every character already? Maggie, Samson, Judas, even Isaac with the d6 are all 'the regular gameplay, but with a special item and some stat tweaks.' That's how almost every single character works. Not Azazel or the Lost or Keeper granted, but it's not really something to complain about.

I mostly meant in comparison to Antibirth and also the other newer characters like Azazel and Lilith.

However I feel like the characters you mention at least have a niche. Maggie has more health but is really slow, meaning she's a bit of a tank (and sucks). Judas has ridiculously high damage (amplified by his item) but ridiculously low health. Samson.. he's pretty lame. He used to be cooler (and broken as heck) back when he came out. Isaac is the default, so uh, yeah he's pretty default.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hyphen-ated posted:

She's one of the fastest characters now, since she always starts with a speed up pill, which brings her to the standard starting movespeed of 1, and then she'll always have speed up pills identified

Wait what?!

How long has this been a thing? I don't think I've played as her since I finished all her unlocks because being slow makes so much damage unavoidable :v:

e: as in before this expansion of course

vvv oh well that explains it vvv

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 9, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

So I'm pretty sure my girlfriend found either a bug or the worst possible room on stream because holy poo poo I've never seen this before what even is this bullshit

Edmund: :tif:

An excellent example of Good Game Design™

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really wish they'd make the Hard Mode actually different from normal instead of just ramping up the tediousness. More champions and more curses is the lamest way to increase difficulty ever, and it would be a perfect opportunity to put the more difficult enemy/floor/boss variants in there

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

This is the kind of silly broken poo poo that makes the game entertaining. If you don't think that room is funny I think maybe you're extremely jaded after playing a game for hundreds of hours

Go look at your last 40+ posts in this thread, almost every single one that isn't about Antibirth is a complaint. Just stop playing (and posting)

Weirdness of digging in post history aside, surely you don't think this thread is just for posting positive things right? I enjoy(ed?) the game immensively so when they make a really lovely update then I obviously care about it :shobon: I want the game to be good, after all.

Also I think that glitch (and yes, of course it's a glitch) is hilarious which is why I posted a funny emote. You have to agree it's very BoI to implement a feature and not consider the consequences.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The console ports are beyond bad. There's slowdown whenever you enter a room, whenever collectibles spawn, whenever a lot of attacks are happening. They have gamebreaking bugs that crash the game and require you to restart the consoles (if you do too well in the Boss Rush for instance, the game will crash. Makes that unlock a lot of fun) and apparently it memory leaks so badly that it can crash the 3ds even in sleep mode. How the gently caress that works, I don't know.

As a programmer myself, it's a loving nightmare how bad they are at their job. Remember when they said the Wii U hardware wasn't strong enough to handle their 2D pixelart indie game?

e: jokes on me for buying them though, I guess :downs:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

apokaladle posted:

I've been lucky enough to avoid any major crashes, but you're not wrong. I just hope they learned enough to do better next time, because I am an innocent babe in the woods.

Yeah, I want to believe :( Portable Binding of Isaac that works would be like the best thing.

Shame it's Afterbirth+ though, I really doubt they'll be able to iron out everything before releasing it on the Switch and they're notorious for not supporting their console games after release (see: previous post)..

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

So I forgot that I owned this on 3DS.
Have they ever said that they would fix the framerate issues and load times?

They haven't even fixed the game- and console-crashing bugs so I think it's fair to say it's abandoned.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

And back then, Soul Hearts were not that easy to come by as they are now

Remember when they were uncapped? :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the rooms are designed by hand but there's no way they're properly tested. The inclusion of champions (and now monster spawners) make matters even worse; you can end up in situations where the normal room works okay as it was designed but it becomes really bad with certain combinations of (or even a single) champion(s) or spawned monsters. And by bad I mean unavoidable damage, tediousness or in the worst case being unbeatable.

Also some rooms are just badly designed. The ones that are shaped like

code:
______O______
[    |_____  ]
[         |_ O
[ ___________]
or

code:
are almost always damage checks/RNG.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's confirmation bias but there also seems to be certain rooms that will always or never border a secret room. Again, I have literally nothing to back this up other than way too much time playing BoI :v:

One room for instance has two fires next to the top wall, one on each side of where you'd place the bomb. I can't remember a single time when this hasn't been an entrance to the secret room. Either way, after playing for a while you definitely get a "feel" for where the room should be, even if you don't have a visible map.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TerminalRaptor posted:

I play games to relax and unwind and this game just feels more and more like work with its brokenness as time goes on.

This is why I disabled the new DLC and I don't regret it :shobon: BoI is a fantastic game to play mindlessly, so it has been one of my favorite ways of unwinding. The expansions have all upped the difficulty and each one has added some amount of BS however, and there's no way to avoid other than disabling the DLC unfortunately. I still really wish they'd keep the harder stuff like the alternate floors/bosses, spawners, stone fatties etc. to hard mode so we could at least have normal mode if we just wanted to chill.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The idea is that this stuff will be added into the main game monthly anyway.

Have they said anything about how they're gonna add it? Will there be a list where you can enable/disable sanctioned mods or will it just get straight up added to the game?

Because if it's the latter, that would suck. The good thing about modding is that you can pick and choose.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Dark souls litteraly has mimic chests that instakill and that's lauded as being the best at game design. Things that punish the player for not paying attention aren't valueless.

I want to frame this post and put it on my wall so that I may look at it whenever I need a laugh :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Like an instakill mimic chest is an awful. awful thing to put into a game and nobody in their right mind thinks 'oh great, I got eaten to death with no real warning'

The mimics in Dark Souls aren't instakill and there's plenty of warning though :eng99:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls mimics embody the type of game design that the series is famous for; if you rush in head first then you're gonna get chomped. If you take a second and approach carefully you will be fine. Caution and awareness are by far the most precious tools you can bring to the game, and the game will award you for it.

This makes the game completely, completely different from BoI and comparing the two makes literally no sense.

Also I never got eaten by a single mimic in any Dark Souls game and I played them all blind

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is more of a personal tirade against Dark Souls than having anything to do with The Binding of Isaac :confused:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Who here is dumb enough to get this on the Switch?
Not me. I considered it but there is nothing more to gain after getting 100% a couple times.

Maybe we'll be able to get Antibirth on the Switch :madmax:

But yeah, I've 100%'ed this game too many times already and the console ports so far have been beyond atrocious. The 3DS version still has bugs that not only crash the game but the 3DS system itself. It's literally the only game I've seen capable of doing that, that's how bad the port is. Even if the Switch port runs more smoothly the devs have clearly shown how much they care about console ports, so even if I really want portable BoI to be a thing I just don't see the Switch version being any better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

Lots of people running into that right now. I was able to get in by going to the left or right side of that room, against the wall, then tapping toward the portal one step at a time.

It's still aggravating. How do you gently caress up something like adding a new type of level exit to the game?

Someone in this thread said to slow walk towards it (aka. just barely hold your stick forward) and it worked like a charm on the first try when I ran into this bug :iiam:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've actually been playing this a bit again lately.... but I've been playing the 3DS version.

Despite the horrible framerate and system-crashing bugs I've actually been enjoying it a lot more than I've enjoyed Afterbirth+. I think I just don't like the way the game has evolved, what with it being more chaotic. It just feels more "unfair" than the old Isaac, and while there are plenty of overpowered items to balance that out I just don't enjoy that kind of RNG gameplay :( The thing I'm missing the most in the 3ds version are the item synergies though, since pretty much all of them were patched in after Rebirth came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

I haven't played Isaac in over a year and already sort of felt this way about Afterbirth. I think it became too big for me, there was just too much stuff in it that it threatened to collapse under its own weight. I actually feel a little nostalgic for flash Isaac since it was smaller and more intimate and everything felt more thematically cohesive. (Not enough to go back and play it, mind.)

If I ever go back to this game I might uninstall Afterbirth and just play standard Rebirth. But I'm much more looking forward to Edmund's new games.

Yeah, it definitely started showing in Afterbirth. I put something crazy like 1000+ hours into flash BoI and a similar amount in the remake but every expansion has just made the game less fun for me. I booted it up earlier to see if anything had changed since I last played and my second floor boss was two Monstros in a tiny room. Quite a "oh right, this is why I stopped playing" moment. I'm not saying that Afterbirth(+) is a bad game mind you, it just isn't my kinda game anymore (and Ed's vision for the game clearly isn't what I thought it was originally) :shobon:

Ironically, I wonder if the limitations of the lovely code (and flash in general) made the original game into what I enjoyed so much.