Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Eonwe posted:

I don't blame people for not 100% it after the expansion came out. It really hosed the balance over, which is probably my only real complaint about the game.

To be honest I find playing without the expansion to be a lot more fun.

I didn't mind it after thoroughly playing through the original; even though it probably made runs more RNG-dependent overall, more variety and challenge was really welcome. For a person new to the game I can imagine that starting off with the expansion unlocked would be awful, though. Since Rebirth has all the Wrath of the Lamb content built-in I imagine some of it's going to be unlocked staggered across runs, so a new player doesn't immediately hit all the tougher alternate levels and bosses on their first few playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Catastrophics posted:

That was amazing! I really hope more items are unlocked that way.

what happened?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

All those new zodiac sign items are no joke -- Scorpio is a million times better than The Common Cold (every shot is poison, the poison lasts a lot longer than normal poison tears do)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I like a lot of the new music but a few tracks just aren't catching on with me. The menu/title music for example is really forgettable compared to the original game's

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kaethela posted:

The win streak stat also tracks loss streaks. Now I can tell exactly how terrible I am at this game!

Yeah I thought the negative win streaks were really funny

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

first heart kill! Didn't have anything with crazy effects but I got Money Is Power, 99 bombs, and the trinket (lucky rock?) that makes rocks always drop coins when destroyed. maxed out my money pretty quickly that way and was able to do some serious damage. By the way, the mushrooms and skulls and stuff that appear in some rooms instead of rocks aren't just palette swaps -- bombing the mushrooms seems to have a really high chance of a pill dropping, so keep that in mind if you end up with PHd. I also got a Red Mushroom item from one that gave +1 to all stats. Skulls seem to have a chance of dropping tarot cards the same way mushrooms do pills but I didn't get to bomb enough to confirm it for sure.

Also, I hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but you're limited in how many coins you can donate to the shop in a single run. not sure if it's a hard limit or randomized like slot machines blowing up is, but eventually a coin will get stuck in the slot and the machine will jam, so if you end up in a situation like me where you basically have access to infinite coins you unfortunately can't blow through all the shop upgrades at once

edit: it's been a long time since I played the original, do I have to do something special to get into Hell or will it just start appearing after the heart as I continue to complete runs?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kaethela posted:

It happens every time you beat Mom under a certain time limit.

Pretty sure you get unique unlocks for clearing it with individual characters, too, but unfortunately that run probably didn't count since apparently you can't get unlocks during challenge runs

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Beat moms heart as judas but didnt see any to hell or cathedral portals, what

was that your first heart kill? unless you get lucky with a devil room they aren't guaranteed at first

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jibo posted:

Not far after that you get the level 2 shop which will give you four items most the time but some times three. Currently I'm at 165.

I got level 2 right on the dot at 100. You get any unlocks past then?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Had a killer Eden run, beat the boss rush and everything, but died right at the same moment I killed Mom's Heart. I got the heart icon on the character select screen but I don't think I got any of the associated unlocks, not really sure though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jaff posted:

I saw someone say that when they ran into a similar situation they were able to get the unlocks by going into the menu and watching the ending which should have played from there. Don't know if it only works in specific situations or what but probably worth a try.

Yeah, I remembered that post and checked -- only ending 1 and ending 2 were visible, same as before the run. I'm gonna hope it just counts as a loss (my win streak didn't go up) and didn't permanently lose me the associated secret. Bummer though, I got pretty lucky with that Eden run. Ludicovo Technique and Daddy Longlegs (my floor 1 pickup!!!) fucjing WRECKED that boss rush

edit: also, I spawned with Soy Milk and realized that while it's nice on the first couple floors it probably wasn't gonna scale too well later on. I can confirm that if you pick up Ludicovo Technique later it (seemingly) cancels it out completely, your big hovering tear does normal damage and isn't horribly gimped like I was afraid it would be.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope things aren't nerfed at all, but I really hope that things aren't nerfed before I have a chance to try them.

honestly, if the devil bum were nerfed to be half as effective and only spit out a soul heart for every two heart pickups it collected, I would still not hesitate for a second to make a deal with the devil for one. You'd still be swimming in soul hearts if you played carefully. As it is it's a little absurd, and I'm not even good at the game really.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Soy milk question: do I remember reading correctly earlier that, not only does it neutralize any previous +DMG boosts when you pick it up, but it also prevents you from boosting your damage later on? Just want to know when to avoid it. I'd really like to get a chance to give it a spin along with a good status-effect inflicting upgrade or two, it seems like those effects could stack up pretty quickly.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

If i enter Sheol do i still get the reward from the big chest for beating moms heart?

Yup; unless you care about your win streak, you don't lose anything from dying in Sheol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Absolutely play Rebirth. Aside from the sound/music (which is pretty subjective but I prefer the original tracks and a lot of others seem to too) it's better in every way as far as I can tell.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hi, I'll pay 99 cents to change the brimstone fire sound if any devs are reading this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Sadly, that'll usually ruin the run if you're on a blindfolded challenge.

like invalidate it so your victory won't count? or you mean you keep the blindfold on after reshuffling your item pickups and now have no way to kill stuff?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

How is Suicide King even possible? It took me 6 tries just to get out of the basement.

it goes all the way to The Chest, too :getin:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kaethela posted:

You can't unlock anything on seeds or challenges. Except of course the unlock that comes with the challenge itself.

I thought this was the case, too, but during a challenge (forget which one) I killed the last of the Basement bosses that I hadn't fought before and I unlocked the Cellar. So apparently there are some exceptions...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GenericGirlName posted:

I think my problem with the new cutscenes is just the weird abuse of shading. Its not good shading. I understand what he's going for but I think he should have stuck with no shading.

Regardless, I have a general question for the experts in this thread. Should I keep opening the chest? Or try my hand at Sheol? I made it to satan the one time I went into Sheol (bless Azazel) but died to his stompy form :( . Should I keep opening the chest and watching bad cutscenes? (I only have 4 mom kills haha).

Don't worry, the 5th mom kill will unlock something special for you :getin:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GenericGirlName posted:

My first run after getting Everything's Terrible I make it all the way to satan and beat him, and I also unlock Samson along the way. Are the bosses in the boss rush room supposed to be super easy? Sure I had crazy damage, but I'm very bad at this game and generally take ~1 heart of damage on a (pre-sheol) boss from careless mistakes, and I always take only ~1 heart of damage total from the boss rush. :iiam:

the boss rush is pretty hectic but if you hve good firepower they go down quickly. usually it seems like if you've got a good enough item setup to make it to & beat mom in under 20 minutes, you can probably handle the boss rush. also, it helps that a shitload of hearts drop (or at least it seemed that way to me) during the fight

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Pretty sure the Eden Token is awarded for every heart kill period.

Yup, even if you somehow die to a stray bullet in the boss room immediately after killing the heart you'll get an Eden Token even though your win streak doesn't actually increase. You also get the little heart icon next to your character on the select screen if you hadn't beaten the heart with that character before-- I'm pretty sure for all other intents and purposes though it doesn't count as a "win"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A little interaction with the Goat's Head that seemed worth noting, haven't noticed it posted here before: if you beat the boss on a floor and don't get a Devil Room, then go back and continue exploring the floor and stumble across a Goat's Head (in a dark chest, for example) then go back to the boss room the Devil Room will be available. So, you don't need to be holding it when you beat the boss to get the guaranteed access: it just causes the Devil Room (or Angel, if that's your thing) to show up no matter what.

Has anyone ever picked up a Goat's Head on Basement 1? Does it give you access to a Devil Room there, too?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ghost Head posted:

gently caress whore of babylon is complete trash. I wonder if it's any different to how it was in the original game. It gives such a pathetic damage bonus. I bet on it at the start of my Blue Baby run and it just completely let me down damage-wise.

Are you crazy? I haven't gotten it on anyone but Eve, who starts with it, but it makes such a huge difference and makes the first few floors a breeze

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

wow, just had a run where I really regretted having almost two full bars worth of Max HP -- I was playing Eve and kept getting HP Ups but never really got the chance to trade them away (Krampus room, a couple devil rooms that only had a single 1-heart item) and THEN in the womb I picked up Devil Bum which would normally be the best Eve item ever but since my max HP was so high I only had room for 2 soul hearts and it made it really risky keeping up the Whore of Babylon bonus. Never really suffered before from the new Rebirth limit on maximum max health but it made things a lot harder for me here

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

13/f/cali posted:

Press the select button.

how about PS4?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

Except you can get The Lost unlock and achievement with seeded runs, it seems. But only that one.

I got the cellar unlock (I think from killing each of the normal basement bosses once?) after killing Gemini for the first time during a challenge run; I'm 100% sure about that. Not sure if it's a bug or if it works for all the alternate floor unlocks or what but I can can confirm that at least some secrets are unlockable during challenge/seeded runs

(although, this was on 1.0 on ps4 before any patches so maybe it's changed?)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm not a very good player (been banging my head against a wall in-game since the original PC release) so I just wanted to drop in and brag -- just finished my first ??? game clear, AND I managed to pick up the negative on the way, had my first trip into the Dark Room, and killed the Lamb first try!! Nothing crazy as far as items go, just some real powerful tears along with Lil' Haunt and a fully-grown Super Bandage Girl putting in work for me. It's been a while since I played the original, what's my next step as far as progression goes? I have the negative unlocked but seemingly not the Polaroid; how do I get that again? I know it gives me access to The Chest once I do, but that's all I remember. Also, I got "The Angels Await!" upon beating The Lamb... I know that has something to do with the super secret final boss but can anyone refresh my memory on how that unlock process actually works? Thanks yall

edit: also got It Lives unlocked this run... if I recall correctly, that changes Mom's Heart into an alternate boss and guarantees a devil/angel room on Womb 2, is that correct?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Does getting the key from the Angels permanently unlock the option to fight the mega boss in all my runs from there on out, or do I need to do it each time I want to attempt the fight? Thanks for the info!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Haven't played in years and my save file is on my Switch anyways, so gently caress it, going in fresh. Did soy milk + brimstone always give you a perma-firing laser? Got that and tech x and just tore poo poo up spamming laser circles on my first mom run.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Multiple Book of Belial uses didn't stack before, right? Pretty sweet for Judas in Greed Mode -- you get guaranteed 12+ attack by the boss without any other damage upgrades

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I guess most people are playing on older savefiles to it's not relevant to them, but as someone starting over I'm insanely grateful that donation machines don't jam anymore. Shop or greed ones, as far as I can tell. I'm glad there's no reason to play Greedier Mode more than once for each character now, because I really loving hate that boss.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've gotten several broken runs in about a dozen Repentance runs. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

Does it seem like Brimstone's drop rate has increased but the item itself took a bit of a damage nerf? I'm seeing it a lot.

The beam dissipates more quickly, I think that's the nerf you're noticing. Speaking of Brimstone, I was very pleased to find out that it if you get multiple copies it now stacks with itself for a double-wide beam-- pretty sure it used to do absolutely nothing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I value slow effects like spider bite and stuff very very highly now lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Augus posted:

False PHD is a hilarious item lol

I'm glad that a lot of item descriptions became clearer but on the other hand, that was a fun one to figure out why it was good by myself. Cool flavor, unique function, potentially high power level. Definitely one of my favorite new items so far

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I'm kinda obsessed with Bethany. All of the wild synergies is exactly what I needed to keep my interest.

She's really stupid on Greed Mode. The massively boosted angel room chance plus her getting bonuses from spamming active items over and over makes it a joke, it's cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Got really excited for infinite wisps (that drop pills when they die) with Book of Virtues + Placebo + Balls of Steel but I guess all the "copier" items have a mechanic now where if you spam them too much they'll start requiring more charges to activate until you go to a new floor. Fair enough, but god drat it!

edit: Ahhh, no, the recharge time is based on the pill you used. I get it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 3, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sharkitten posted:

Large rooms are still the worst thing that was ever added to Isaac

God help you if you get no damage as well

Apparently it's been like this since Afterbirth and I never noticed, but getting 2 bars of charge for your items from large rooms makes them worth it sometimes. Speaking of charges, it's funny they added all these ways to curb exploits and "going infinite" and then added an item that lets your items charge from dealing damage to enemies. Absolutely begging to be abused, lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's a lot of cool new stuff in the new expansion but both of the new characters (that you unlock initially) are all about managing horrible hitboxes in a way that's really not fun for me. Maybe I should just ignore them for a while and try and do the new content with the old characters.

I'd encourage you to keep playing around with Bethany because I've had some great runs with her using wisps that have beneficial effects when they're destroyed, or like just now I had one with Guppy's Head which spawns little fly wisps that barely shoot at all but do insane contact damage, so you're just running into enemies to shred them and it felt great. Besides, the wisps are only half the draw for her, being able to save up soul hearts and use them to charge items at-will is a really fun character gimmick already.

Speaking of great runs, holy poo poo Psy Fly is stupid. I picked up Bot Fly a few times and thought the projectile blocking was neat, but Psy Fly is that x100. I just beat Hush taking only one hit, and that was because I forgot about his sky beam phase. (Please don't tell me there's an achievement for no-hitting him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Crackbone posted:

I'm trying to be spoiler light at the moment, but what exactly should I be trying for in for progression? I unlocked Bethany and did a few runs with her and got some unlocks, but nothing huge.

The bulk of new floors and bosses and such don't appear until you've killed Hush 3 times, I believe.