Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I've been racing Isaac for two and a half years, I've got probably 1500 hours spent, and I've won $1200 in tournaments for this game. I'm pretty excited for Rebirth right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I give it four days before Dick and Cobalt finish.

Does anyone know if Edmund has given an estimate for how long he thinks platinum god takes in isaac? People have speedrun that and it takes well under 24 hours. We could multiply some ratios to get a possibly-better estimate for rebirth's 100%

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 1, 2014

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Someone mentioned downloading a 100% save. There is one available here:
http://www.speedrun.com/isaacrebirth/resources

I recommend doing this if you think unlocks are boring and you just want to start with the real game: trying to win as fast as you can :greenangel:

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you restart in the first place? It ruins your win streak if you do that.
Because racing other people is the only way I play this game and resetting for a decent item makes you more likely to win.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

Teach me to go fast.
The most important thing is to be able to avoid needless damage so you can go fast and still not die. AKA "don't get hit". Learn all the enemy patterns and pay attention. This is harder in rebirth than it was in WOTL because some enemies can pop up under you on jump onto you in an undodgeable way. oh well, do the best you can.

Always reset for a good starting item. The fastest way is to hold R and not release it until your starting room has a curse room or item room next to it. You're generally looking for something that substantially increases your DPS, preferably while also scaling with tears up and damage up.

Here are some example items I will start:
Knife, ipecac, epic fetus, magic mushroom, 20/20, cricket's head, sad onion, cricket's body, brimstone baby, fly-shooting baby, pact, pentagram, blood of the martyr, quad shot, infestation 2, proptosis, monstro's lung, mulligan, goat head, polyphemus, scythes, small rock, growth hormones

Here are some example items I don't start:
Relic, mitre, mascara, wide odd mushroom, stigmata, technology 1 or 2, any zodiac sign, any item that only gives speed or health, shielded tears

There are some items I used to start in WOTL that I don't start in rebirth. The main difference is that devil deals are no longer a consistent source of "carry items". In WOTL the main purpose of your starting item was to quickly get you to your first few devil deals where you could hopefully find either knife, brimstone, or guppy. A regular tears build was generally something you would be forced to fall back on and be unhappy about it.
In rebirth, devil deals don't consistently give you those things, but there are a lot more items that can give you really good regular tears. So your starting item matters a lot more; you want it to be seriously helping you through the whole run.

The things I used to start and don't anymore include:
Regular shooting familiars like brother bobby or sister maggy, forever alone or distant admiration, halo, sacrificial dagger, a single non-tail guppy touch, mapping, dr fetus (it sucks now)

Bomb lots of mushrooms in the caves to try to find the liberty cap, which is a super common drop from them. You can use it for poor-man's mapping, by walking back and forth through a door until eventually it gives you a compass effect. This is only really worth doing on the last few floors. But if you get this trinket, always pay attention to the map to see if you get a lucky compass effect while doing a floor.

You can also try to get real mapping from a shop, but the pool of shop items is so big now that this is very inconsistent. Mapping is huge though so if you see a map or compass early, do whatever it takes to buy it, clearing the whole floor if necessary.

Try hard to get every devil deal you can, which means don't take red heart damage (especially not on the boss) and bomb beggars on floors when you don't have a guaranteed deal. A deal is guaranteed if these are both true: #1 you haven't taken any red heart damage and #2 you are on basement 2 or you got no devil deals on the previous two floors.

If you get stuck on god rooms and your build is weak, I think it's usually right to kill the angel to get a double reroll of god items.

The amount of time you're willing to spend finding an item room should be directly correlated with how weak you are. Once your build is good enough, stop spending any time at all going to item rooms, unless there's one like RIGHT THERE. The same applies to clearing rooms for your D6 charges. It is generally worth it in the early game to get your D6 one-away-from-charged before you do the boss room, since rerolling a devil deal can have such a big impact.

All of the above applies to Isaac with the D6. Azazel is faster because you just start with one of the best items, but that's boring so nobody really races azazel.

After you get fast enough that you can beat the chest in, like, 30 minutes or less sometimes, go to speedrunslive and race with other people. (you have to be able to stream, but not at high quality. literally 1fps is acceptable) Learn tricks by watching and chatting with others. After a couple hundred races you'll probably be fast.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

That's one thing I've noticed between watching WoTL and Rebirth racing. In WoTL it seemed like mapping was almost necessary to win. In many of the Rebirth races I've seen mapping seems to be much less important.
It was never necessary, it just helped a lot. Mapping is mostly as good as it was before, the big difference is that it's harder to get. It was *worth* spending the time rerolling shops to try for it before, so you saw people doing it all the time. Now it seems like it's rare enough that clearing rooms to roll for it costs you more time on average than you'll save.

Granted, we don't know all the tricks with floor generation like we used to, like counting even/odd rooms when you have a map to get big hints about the right path to take for the boss room. So it's slightly less powerful to have a map now. But it's still very very good.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Ariong posted:

I think that voluntary damage sources do not affect it. Curse rooms, sacrifice rooms, blood banks, devil beggars, etc.
In the original, curse rooms and sacrifice rooms counted as red heart damage for devil deal purposes, while blood banks and devil beggars did not. I'm pretty sure it's the same in rebirth.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Here is a fully unlocked save http://www.speedrun.com/isaacrebirth/resources
The instructions in the readme are out of date, you have to put it in a place inside the steam folder now

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I don't get it either. It's not like getting those items to spawn is actually difficult, like winning with the lost, so that it might give you a feeling of pride when you're done. It's just tedium.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

EvilSlug posted:

I don't want to have to use a different save without him for random streaks; because I want to keep his items in the pool.
I have a hacked save with all the items but the lost not unlocked. Do you want it?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

kvx687 posted:

Devil room mechanics: Having the Goat Head, using a Book of Belial, and possibly using a Devil card (not sure) will cause the devil room door to span 100% of the time. Other than that, you have a base 135% chance for it to appear. Taking red heart damage anywhere on the floor reduces it by 99%, taking red heart damage on the boss reduces it by 35%. Killing one or more beggars or shell games will boost it by 25%, owning certain evil items boosts it 15-25% each. If the door spawned on the previous floor, your total percentage is divided by 4, if it appeared two floors ago the percentage is halved. Only the lowest multiplier counts; if the door shows up two floors in a row it's only a 75% reduction, not 87.5%.

Please note, this is for WOTL. These numbers are not known to be the same in Rebirth, although it feels like it's about the same.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

The "lower chance for repeats" formula is definitely different because I get back-to-back Devil/Angel rooms all the time without any guarantee item.

This is not good evidence that it is different. Assuming you aren't taking red heart damage, the WOTL math says you have a 33.75% chance of getting the second half of a back-to-back deal. (higher if you have pentagram or you've bombed a beggar). That's reasonably high, and this chance is applied often: once for every deal you get before womb 1. So you should expect to see back to back deals at some point on many, if not most, of your runs. I know I got them a lot in WOTL.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Ferroque posted:

why do streamers show their faces anyway?
so viewers can see their emotions and reactions and stuff. makes you feel more connected to them as a person instead of a disembodied voice, or something. I prefer watching streams with facecams.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Is it just me or does nearly every boi:r streamer have the most annoying subscription/donation/follow notification that are blinky, distracting and cover half the screen?

Several do, most don't

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Hello Isaac Players. Brett824 and I made an item tracker that tells you item stats when you pick them up, and you can also click on the items to open the platinumgod page about them. Check it out: https://github.com/Hyphen-ated/RebirthItemTracker

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Gibbo posted:

Just did a couple runs with this. Great tool.
Thanks!

quote:

-Display mod totals for each stat(Maybe not with multipliers because I have no idea how they stack)
This is planned, but it's a lot of work to do it properly, since there are so many weird interactions and edge cases

quote:

-Are pills trackable?
Not with the method this tracker uses (reading log.txt)

quote:

And I'm guessing food is supposed to not show up because it's just health and nobody cares?
Right. If you really want to see EVERY item you can edit items.txt and change '"shown": false' to '"shown": true' everywhere it appears

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

You are a hero.

It doesn't show spacebar items, does it? I think that could be handy.
Guppy spacebar items are shown. If you want the others to show up, you could, uh, edit items.txt so they all have shown=true. Oh I guess this makes a lot more sense as something to want now that I put in the clicking to open platinumgod thing. We designed the "hiding certain items" system when all this did was show images, and it's not very useful to see the image for space items.

I could add an option so it just shows all items, period

psivamp posted:

It's written in python. I expect it supports linux at least as well as Windows.

It looks like it requires pygame, so apt-get or yum install python-pygame and whatever else it complains about that you can find and then pip install anything else.
Yeah, to run it on linux, install pygame like this guy says, download the tracker source code, put it in its own directory in the place the readme tells you to, and then do "python item_tracker.py"
This should work for macs also

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

He said his second form, he's not talking about the random beams (which are some poo poo, by the way). Daddy Longleg's feet stomp your location, move around to avoid them.

Isaac has three forms. First he's lying down, then he stands up and has beams that can unavoidably hit you, then he floats around and has waves of easily-avoidable beams.

Daddy longlegs has two kinds of stomps. One stomps your location and is trivial to avoid, the other stomps at random and cannot be avoided.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

Poly is a terrible speed item.

ProblemsIRL thinks poly is a terrible speed item; not everyone agrees. antizoubilamaka, the current WR holder for 7 and 10 characters to the chest, thinks it's great. So do I

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I just played in a tournament and it was really good and fun.
The best race was this one from the finals:
http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl/v/3849820?t=183m30s
(I set a race pb and I've done like 350+ races)

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2015

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Gibbo posted:

I've been working on my speed play a little, but I'm not sure how to get in to racing (because I'm apparently retarded)

Where do I find the rules? Is it just the same as old BOILR?

Just go through SRL?

Yeah just go to SRL and plenty of people there will race with you. we hang out in the #isaac channel.
The rules are basically just beat the chest with isaac, overflowing donation machines is not allowed

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I'm trying to record Rebirth with Open Broadcaster Software and I'm having just awful luck. I've tried with windowed capture, monitor capture, and game capture. The only success I've had is with monitor capture with the game in windowed mode, but it looks awful and I don't really want to record my entire desktop. I've looked around online but can't find a single good solution out there. Anyone here do any streaming/recording who can help me out with how to do it?
I stream this game all the time. I use "window capture" with the game in windowed mode and I've never had any problems with it

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Fano posted:

I don't think killing one or the other first makes a difference. At least, there isn't any substantial evidence that that's the case.

People have been saying this for a longass time and I'm convinced it makes no difference.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Scythes are +1.5 damage and a moderate tears down. You get a regular brimstone with those effects applied

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

LionYeti posted:

On that note, Mask of Infamy can eat a billion dicks. Had a great run going and was slightly too slow to get behind the mask so it took out like 10 hearts and killed me.

You don't have to get behind the mask. you can shoot it in the side. hope this helps.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I honestly don't know if its less is more, but did anyone else get burned out on rebirth way faster than the original?

I didn't see that opinion in the thread too much, but I just kinda think after doing most of what rebirth had to offer, I fire it up a lot less. I am only missing the lost cheevos and meat boy, for the record.
Have you tried playing for speed? That's the only way I play the game and it's really fun. Race people head-to-head, or see how consistently you can beat the chest under some time limit (my best is 12 in a row sub-22 minutes), it's great.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

senae posted:

it looks like a debug mode, when they picked up the odd mushroom they didn't gain a heart container

You've got your odd mushrooms confused; the thin one gives movespeed, tear rate, and damage down. It's the wide one that gives a heart container and a little bit of damage.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

omeg posted:

drat Hyphenated, that was a loving nice race on BoS.

Thanks! I got so nervous at the end of the first one when my opponent caught up a huge amount of ground while I had a curse of the lost on the chest. It's so exciting to be doing these with a bunch of money on the line

Here's the vod if anybody wants to watch it http://www.twitch.tv/bostv/v/5585736?t=398m30s

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

IMJack posted:

And more Tumblr tags that look kind of like YouTube addresses. 2LTeNvx and cjumz??
Where are you seeing these tags?
youtube ids always have exactly 11 characters

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh also, Shot Speed upgrades now decrease the special item counter in EE, so they actually make it easier to find damage ups.
Increasing the special counter is good in WOTL, because it makes you more likely to get non-special items from devil deals. Brimstone, knife, and guppy pieces are non-special. (Maybe the analysis comes out different in EE, I dunno)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Florian changed which items were special or not. Every passive that doesn't provide a damage up or modifies your tears heavily (Except for IPECAC, which isn't special anymore) are no longer special. The only special items are ones that provide a direct increase to the damage stat. I'm pretty sure that applies to regular WOTL too if you have the EE DLC enabled.

Is there a list of which items are special in EE? It might still be the case that increasing your special counter is good, since neither knife, brimstone, nor guppy pieces increase your damage stat, so from what you just said they wouldn't be special, and therefore you're more likely to get them if you have special items.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

I thought Brimstone was always special in WoTL? I remember seeing it listed as such on Platinum God at one point. Was that just misinformation?

I think it's slightly more likely that you're misremembering; I don't remember it ever being wrong on platgod. Brimstone and knife were always non-special afaik. It took a long time for people to realize that this implies getting special items is good, though. We figured it out in the racing community sometime between balls of steel 1 and 2, so like june of last year.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
The stream of knives is pretty marginal, but just the knife itself is almost always much more damage than brimstone unless you also have guppy, since brim spawns flies and knife doesn't.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Well I got 3rd in Balls of Steel; that was pretty fun.

So out of the three isaac BoS tournaments, I got:
1st place in the 1st one
2nd place in the 2nd one
3rd place in the 3rd one
sweet.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You're right, implying that it was objectively bad was wrong of me. I do definitely think it's pointless though personally. I just think that if the way to make it reasonable is to mod the game, then the game is not made to be speed ran (speed runned?). This is why I think the scoring system is a good thing, because it's a competitive alternative to speed running that is applicable to this game without anything having to be changed.
You don't have to mod the game to make it reasonable to race. A large majority of my races have been no-bans, no-mods because I think it's more fun that way, and that's getting up near 2000 races if you include the original game. You just need to go at it with the right mindset: a single race is not going to tell you who is better. If you look at results over time, a better player is going to win more often. Sometimes one player will get an instant knife, oh well, move on and play again.

I do agree that speedrunning for a single good time is kind of boring, (as opposed to racing with an opponent) but some people still do like it, so, good for them. different strokes.

Sanctum posted:

Enjoy having your tears constantly clipping into walls/rocks and hitting nothing. The dmg/tears up is more than offset by how much you miss as a result.

Guillotine does like the same contact damage as big fan, i.e. not much. Attack fly/distant admiration/cube of meat are great damage dealers. I hate guillotine.

Nah, the guillotine orbital does 7 damage per hit, same as cube of meat. Big fan does 2. If you're missing a lot and getting hit a lot with guillotine, it means you aren't good with the item, not that the item isn't good :). When you're good with it, it's a great item, and you don't need any particular synergies.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

omeg posted:

That second run was intense Hyphen-ated. Also the finals :stare:

Yeah, I thought I had the second one for sure, but nope!

Also it's crazy that punny won the whole thing without losing a single game, even though it was best 2 out of 3.

Sanctum posted:

Okay dude, with enough playerskill the mechanical difficulty of aiming tears consistently from a head moving around your body is totally irrelevant. :)

That is probably true, but I don't know anyone with enough skill to make the downsides actually irrelevant! though there are lots of players good enough for the upside to strongly outweigh the downside

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Hey, at least it's not WOTL where the polaroid is a trinket and that situation ends your run

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Looks like a white tulip to me

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Since i didn't see any definitive breakdown on getting Devil Rooms to spawn that is actually confirmed for Rebirth, i looked at the game code myself and this is what i came up with.
You're a hero.
What tools are you using?

quote:

Have you blown up a Beggar on this floor? + 35%. (Only normal coin beggars count for this)
How sure are you that only normal beggars count? I previously thought devil beggars, key beggars, and the shell game guy from the arcade all counted.

quote:

Have you blown up a corpse (grey dudes in shops, secret rooms etc) on this floor? +10%.
!!!

Gasmask posted:

So what's the go-to tool for unlocking everything. I am sick to death of Lost runs and willing to admit defeat.
Congratulations on your sanity!
Get the savefile from here http://www.speedrun.com/isaacrebirth/resources, there's a readme inside the zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Not exactly a mod, just an external little window, but here you go: Devil room chance display
Thanks!
A guy in the isaac speedrunning irc asked me to ask you for the source code to this, are you willing to post it?