Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Literal Carehaver posted:

i want to see a star wars movie where grizzled rebel insurgents take imperial officer's family members hostage and blackmail the impy officers in to subverting the empire in some way

then the rebels record proof of the subversion and blackmail the officer further until they defect out of lack of choice or get exposed and executed

also a jedi is on screen for like a second but is sprayed down at all angles with laser fire and dies screaming in anguish

I always wondered if there were like hosed up rebels. Like they bomb/or shoot up schools with imperial ties or kill families of officers or something. maybe like a suicide bomb a movie theater showing a imperial holofilm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

han dated one that was kind of a bitch

all she did was free a planet of religious crack addicts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cyberball 2072 posted:

The super ship ends up being a macguffin for the story so it's there for a reason but no it cant be a plain ol corvette, its THE CARRION SPIKE and it was hand desgined by Tarkin himself and full of dumb bullshit to make it the bestest ship ever.
And yea, turns out Tarkin in addition to being a governor and guy in charge of the universe's most feared weapon/battle station, he spent his days as a youth on THE CARRION PLATEAU being trained by his super poacher uncle that taught him how to define the characteristics of a species and then break them down ::coughThrawnHACKHACK::

I will say that I still enjoyed the audiobook and found it plenty entertaining, it's far better than "Cloak of Deception" which I am wrapping up offa youtube. But despite being entertaining enough "Tarkin" is still full of the dumb bullshit we all love to hate the EU for.

I think if I was actually reading this stuff it would come off much worse and I wouldn't finish most of it. All the production in the audiobooks makes them like little radio dramas so they pass the time while working well enough.

Cloak of deception is probaly the worst one of all of them. its basicaly obi-won and anakin vist the plains. and a hutt is there and these two retards the jedis make healthy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

freethought posted:

That doesn't make me cringe. That single moment, when millions of nerd voices cried out in terror made the whole drat thing worthwhile. That and those "Ask a Sith" threads.

Heck, it still makes me smile. Boba Fett is dead. He fell in the loving Sarlaac and there's nothing anyone can say otherwise. Finally, after two decades of that poo poo we get a break.

I know they're going to do that poo poo all over again, I know. They'll probably make a loving movie about him getting out of that loving pit but for now he is loving dead.

He isn't dead. He is alive in the sarlacc. In its belly Fett will find a new definition of pain and suffering as he are slowly digested over a thousand years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

the rogue one concept art looks like they want to do some kind of downbeat loving star was Nam movie

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art-detailed-113776076869.html

fortunate sun crusher

Now i am just picturing a bunch of stormtroopers flying around in gunship(blaring Jefferson airplane) and adam baldwin is just firing an E-web out the side at rebels. gently caress i want full metal jack star wars.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

5er posted:

As this thread gravitates back towards the defense of the wholesale creativity black hole that is the SWEU, I am delighted again with (Disney necrotized) Lucasfilms stating the old EU is non-canon. So long, thanks for all the masturbatory self-inserts and moronic interpretations of magic bacteria power limitations!

But. There's a darker truth, and a darker future.

The old EU is out, but these merchandising whores sure as hell aren't going to discourage a new one from erupting, like an ignored pilonodal cyst on the Wookiee-like furry crack of an average fanfiction author. This new EU will be incubated in the vile, pederastic ichor of the Internet-emboldened furvert, the brony, and the maladjusted 'social justice warrior' who is just waiting to bring Darth Ableism into the world.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Star wars isn't marvel. they wont just hire a bunch of really bad tumblr/sjw writers. they will probably just hire mediocre and on occasion good sci-fi writers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

shiksa posted:

the world's greatest injustice was that this wasn't filmed oj style so the internet could put audioclips from the podrace scene over it

*jake lloyd drives over a median* Whoopee!!!!

*jake lloyd drives through a police roadblock running over two cops* NOW THIS IS POD-RACING.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://io9.com/everything-we-know-about-star-wars-post-return-of-the-j-1729549100

looks alright.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

I never read the Thrawn books as a kid. I always wanted to and then got distracted with much edgier stuff like Warhammer and the Aliens novelisations. I did read the Jedi Academy books which I enjoyed and even on the re-read a few years ago I kinda liked the spice mines stuff even if the rest was fairly shite. I started reading the Thrawn books, having been assured that is was the high point of the E.U. last December and have just managed to start book 3 out of sheer indifference. I have no problem reading pulpy stuff. But jesus christ its dry like raw cream crackers. It's not bad by all means but I find it hard to engage with it.

I fully endorse Xenomorph's bid for mod, even if he is being unbelievably brazen about it.

I tried reading the alien books. the first two based off the movie are alright but the rest are ehh. the comics are ok though. I like the warhammer books though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah, Earth Hive and Nightmare Asylum stand up really well. They are very bleak and really build the world up very well. The character of General Spears was a fantastic mix of Patton, Schwarzkopf and those guys that trained dolphins to blow up submarines. Those two books really try to expand the universe in imaginative ways and maintain the best horror elements from the series. What bugs me the most about the Star Wars books is the blatant copying of the movies. There is a scene in the second Thrawn book where Leia says to Han. "See ya later, I love you." And he throws back the "I know" It's small stuff but it really bothered me because it's totally out of character for the kind of Han Solo who has settled down and married and has a position of authority. Let the characters grow up a little and not define their existence by the films.

I always liked reading the fluff in the second edition codexes for Warhammer but the books never did it for me. The characters are generally not engaging or I can't relate to their weird extremist life where the concept of people living a normal life or having vices that are not flaws in character is unheard of. I would love to read a world war Z style Warhammer book that reports on a war with first hand accounts. That was always the best stuff in my opinion. Some dude travels around interviewing Orks or imprisoned Chaos Space Marines and ditches all the weird "praise the emperor" poo poo. War in Warhammer is oddly clinical. The soldiers are so poorly drawn that they are all cutouts. Have them playing cards, drinking and talking about fixing up their hover bikes when they get home so they can go for a drive and finger their girlfriends while smoking space weed and I would be on board.

you should try reading the non space marine stuff or some of the horus heresy books. the commissar cain books are alright/good. they are darkly funny but they tend to hit the same notes. the eisenhorne trilogy and short stories are good, and if you are in the mood for fantasy try the gortrek and felix books.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Cross posting this from the Alien thread in CineD because it's applicable

tl;dr - fandoms can be awful, water is wet, the sun is bright, etc

i didnt even know there was "canon" to the alien universe.(outside the movies)

I always assumed it was like this.

1. super secret WY project and or random rear end in a top hat billionare and or the space goverment to make xeno do things.

2. it fails.

3. repeat step 1.
4. insert predator for mixed results.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wouldn't it be depressing if the movie was phantom menace bad and he did get to see it early and hated it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was like twenty years ago! but that multiplayer was the bomb.

i feel like Supreme Leader Snoke had to be in his notes when disney bought star wars because that's a p poo poo name.

that is a poo poo name. it sounds like a lovely street drug.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Oh bullshit you almost had with your

oh well nevermind

you know whats worse. its from this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_I_Adventures_10:_Festival_of_Warriors. a book for maybe 5 year olds. some fat loving nerd thought that this book needed to be cataloged and its parts and story put into canon. also there is a series of these books and they are all cataloged.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OldMemes posted:

In his book on the New Hollywood movement of the 1970s, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls, Peter Biskind makes a pretty convincing case that Lucas may be on the spectrum. Apparently he's refuse to talk to people or make eye contact, so meetings had to be heavily prompted by Francis Ford Coppola. When makiing THX-1138, Lucas spent months and months obbessively reediting the film, until Coppola had to basically take the work print so they could have test screenings. The script for Star Wars became a denser and denser work of background lore with each draft.

Originally Lucas wanted to title the first film 'Adventures of Luke Starkiller, as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars' but was convinced to change it to A New Hope.

(American Graffti and THX-1138 are still great movies, so the guy at least directed three really, really good films).

oh i can believe that he is on the spectrum. also the more i learn about how loving crappy new hope could have been is fascinating. I am sure alot of the old drafts read like something out of deviant art. it sounds like his first wife was the one who kept his poo poo edited.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Iblis was Patton since he was an obstinate rear end in a top hat too. From what I've seen TFA's Imperial Remnant went way out to the far outer rim and basically fell out of sight/mind after Jakku. Jakku was like some final battle that broke the back of the Imps and they bolted. Now they're moving back in and people are freaking out.

if i get the new canon corretly. it basically speeds up the fragmentation/disintegration of the Empire. so basicaly it happens in one year instead of like 15. Jakku seems to be the last fight between a big coherent Imperial force and the new republic. the empire gets it back broken and it signs a truce with the republic. the new republic does away with a main army and depends on system forces/plantarty forces/ and i assume insurgent forces in the imperial space. the empire sticks around led probaly by moffs and there are a ton of little right wing neo imperial movements marching around trying to start poo poo up like the good old days. apparently the NEW ORDER is one of the biggest of these. so basicaly the galaxy is in one big cold war with lots of little proxy hot ones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dont, its a bad article and I thought I would share it

If your 22 yr old kids think attack of the clones is the best movie, its not too late to have an abortion

yeah, your a loving idiot if you think that. all of the prequels are bad in unique and unfun ways. so its hard to say which one is the "best".

1 is bad all around, and its thematically poo poo and the kid is a lovely anakin. but at the same time, its probaly the best in terms of actual filiming because it still uses real effects and sets.

2. is the same except all the acting is wooden and has no chemesty. the romance is dead and contrived. the plot sucks etc. its probaly the worst one over all, though i find 3 to be worse.

3 is the worst because this was the one everyone was waiting for and and it didnt deliver at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blowfish posted:

in star wars everyone seems to be awfully eager to demilitarise

yeah but then the quarp monsters from cockupass X show up and shoot their jizz canons at everyone. unfortunaly, beloved character corran horn is filled up and explodes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the batarians from mass effect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

That's what 1313 was supposed to be. Like uncharted but in seedy Coruscant. I'm still kind of bitter about it being shuttered since it had the potential to be a nonshitty Star Wars thing.

allegedly some version of it is being worked on at EA. with jade raymond as project lead and amy heaning writing it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's actually really cool. Both of them are super loving talented

they definitely are. I am curious what this project will be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

William Bear posted:

Nym is one of the things from the EU I like. His bulge in the Essential Guide to Characters, however, makes me cringe.

does he have robot arms? or just hosed up looking implants.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

guardians of the galaxy is the best marvel flick.

this. most of the marvel movies are basicaly just good summer movies, GOTG was the only legit good film of any of them.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Essentially, if you think that a huge glut of Star Wars titles coming down the pipeline is not going to have at least a couple of poo poo sandwiches, or that the Big lovely EU could ever truly die, you're hopelessly naive or you just mindlessly consume this poo poo as long as it has the branding.

What we're going to see in the next 10 years is a massive expansion of content for this franchise, and we've already seen that the EU in particular will just eat its own barf and then throw it back up on you over and over again for years. Now imagine that but with an even more intense marketing push.

see i am weirdly ok with this. Yeah, there will definatly be some turds but i am sure their will also be some great ones and we could get different directors doing different kinds of star wars unvivese movies. I want reservoir dogs in space drat it. rogue one seems interesting enough and the godzilla movie was pretty good. i am curious what kind things they could do. anything is better then orgy bugs/ sado mascosit aliens/admiral retard taking over the goverment. at least the wiped the slate clean for the most part. (i think the old republic stuff is still in quasi limbo) hell I want a revan movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

game has issues(only like 8 maps and all the unlocks are dumb) but its not that bad. I like a multiplayer game that is casual and quick to pick up and put down.(titanfall, tf2, l4d2. vermintide) then again it should have come with more maps and less dlc poo poo, but thats :dice: for you.

Otisburg posted:

RotS handilly claims "most tolerable of PT" by virtue of McDiarmid's gleeful scenery chewing.

he saves that movie from being utterly poo poo. he chews scenery well and he just seems so drat happy at being such a evil gently caress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwaNXRRL2g plus he is cool with fans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Of course, then he adds Vader saying "NOOO" in the Blu-rays in ROTJ so it's a give and take.

WHY. is lucas that autistic that he cant tell people get more of emotioal reaction from the silence. you can practically see vader weighing his conscious and you see the second he decides and lunges at old sheev.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm like a third of the way through Lost Stars, I think it's called, the new YA Star Wars book, and it's surprisingly pretty good so far. So far it's sorta standard YA fare about two friends--or maybe more??? Because YA-- at the Imperial Academy on Coruscant getting up to teenage boarding school hijinks but apparently one's going to join the Rebels while one stays loyal to the Empire and it goes through and slightly past the events of the original trilogy. It's not amazing or anything but I like it pretty well.

The free 10% Kindle sample of that new Battlefront: Twilight Company book was pretty good too and I may end up getting that once I'm done with this one.

Is the new EU... actually good? :stonk:

it will start out fine enough,twilight company is actually pretty good. but my guess is quality will eventually degrade.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Dash Rendar is Poochie as gently caress. He's Han Solo through the lens of a Mountain Dew commercial.

What bugs me about SoTe and Dash is that clearly there was some kind of writer's room meeting where they were like "Okay, we need a rogue sort of hero, like Han Solo, and a cool souped-up freighter like the Millenium Falcon."

Bitch, you have Lando with the actual Falcon, doing nothing much until he infiltrates Jabba's palace. Use him!

yeah and as you know. outside the video game, he doesn't do poo poo. he acts like a petty oval office, then he fucks up(but realy doesn't) gets depressed, then "dies". loving wedge Antilles does more for the story then dash does. I remember as a kid who was hyped as gently caress for shadow of the empire, wondering when the gently caress dash was gonna be a badass hero. then it never happens.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, you want Al Swearingen as the competent, menacing bad guy pulling Kylo Ren's strings.

Adam Driver on "Girls" does weird angst with angry mood swings really well. Now that I think of it, his character is a lot like Hayden Christensen's Anakin. If Kylo Ren's going to be a bitchy Darth Vader fanboy, they hit the nail on the head.

i am ok with this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ok thats pretty cool. Dark side weeaboo is pissed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is how a normal human would interpret it but nerds take everything literally and also need every tiny thing explained. i've read a number of articles talking about they want the next movie to explain what happened between return of the jedi and the force awakens and where the new order came from when we don't need any of that and would probably be insanely stupid and we already have all the information we need about all of that in the force awakens.

they wrote a book about it. its non canon now. but it was actually pretty good for a star wars book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I made the mistake of engaging some ubernerds (I'm not at their power level of nerd yet :( ) about Snoke being plague is cuz now they're bringing up all this poo poo from the background. "Psychometry" is a thing now cuz I guess it was popular in the Harry Potter series. It was in the dark disciple book apparently.

And drat they really can't wrap their heads around plague is just being a lie told to Anakin instead of some EU character with a biography.

because in the old canon he was a real person. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis/Legends
he has a book about him and the origin of palpatine. its actually pretty good and explains the dumb "grand plan of the sith"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

So, uh, EU nerds, what happened to the sepratists after the third movie? Did they join the rebellion or did they all just die?

basically their are a few holdouts, a few still have fleets and they gently caress with the empire on and off for a few years but get mopped up pretty much by dodanna and Screed and bunch of others. the survivors either went underground or joined the new rebellion. :spergin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

alriiight nerds, I've heard about the EU bugnest orgy for years and I just need to know what the gently caress that's referencing. I'll even settle for a star wars wikia link. It's driving me insane not understanding

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Nest_Crisis

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Rey, what are people's thoughts on the complaint that she's a Mary Sue?

Like I can't disagree since the movie shows her as inherently good at literally everything (often without any training whatsoever) and she doesn't have a whole lot of apparent flaws holding her back, so she checks off a lot of the boxes for "lovely fanfic Mary Sue character".

But on the other hand, she was genuinely fun to watch and even Rey seems somewhat shocked with how easily she can do some poo poo so it kinda mitigates it, and also Daisy Ridley is cute as heck.

alot of people view force powers through an rpg/video games/prequel lenses. that all the powers are slowly upgraded and poo poo. but its been shown in the first movie thats not the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

saw it again. this time with the folks. still great movie. unfortunately i got stuck behind a lovely family with a dad who made a snarky remark at every scene. Including THAT one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jurgan posted:

I never liked Yoda's inverted speech in the prequels. He's smart enough to figure out English (sorry, Basic), so I figured the only reason he talked that way was because he'd been isolated for decades and gotten senile. Well, that and it made him seem like comic relief, which fooled the audience into thinking he was unimportant.

in the originals he also did say straight sentences. just not often. in the prequels they took it to a retarded extreme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

I took my special lady friend to see it and it was in a much bigger theater than when I saw it the first night. People clapped at the beginning. People clapped when they showed the mellennium falcon. People clapped when Han showed up.

I don't get why people clap in a movie theater... Harrison Ford can't hear you bros

i dont mind that. Its happens in most nerdy movies. hell i like it sometimes. this guy was just being a smarmy oval office making dumb unfunny jokes to his fat wife, plus he got up every 10 minutes to get more food or take a piss. plus when you hear eveything go dead silent when THAT scene plays and the reactions. its fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

He also hated Kyp Durron's Fonz impersonation

why is he allowed to live again, i mean he murder like a billion people, including his own brother. i guess he found the light side/space jesus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Vader doesn't even look like he's trying.

he probably doesn't. any limb damage is easily repairable. the only way to kill him is a head or body strike. and i am pretty sure vader doesnt even give a gently caress if he dies because his existence is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I realize mocking the SJW's is low hanging fruit, but as a nerd dad who was thrilled to share the new one with his kid, and failing in like 4 different stores to find a drat Rey doll, I'm kind of feeling that. There's a weird football-headed alien that was cut from the movie all day long, but no daggone Rey.

they exist. its just people buy them up quick. most of the stores only have a bunch of Finns.

• Locked thread