Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

my old boss found out i discussed my salary with a coworker and threatened to fire me even though it's explicitly protected in the state i was in

:thumbsup:

It's actually protected speech nationwide; it's part of the Taft-Hartley Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

back in the day questions like "how much is a gallon of milk" were common at political debates

I remember articles in the 90s about how Bush the elder went on a tour of a supermarket for some drat reason and was just amazed by barcode readers, because of course he hadn't even had to go shopping in decades. Ah yes, here.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

I'm the guy in the shirt with communist symbols on it at a hyper-capitalistic tech event in america

Judging by the Spanish it's probably not in the US, likely Mexico

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

yeah i was blown away to discover oklahoma considers themselves midwest.

or great plains. More properly KS-OK-NE-MO and points north, that's all great plains.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In a tontine, the longer you live, the larger your profits — but you are profiting precisely off other people’s deaths. Even in their heyday, tontines were regarded as somewhat repugnant for this reason.

Now, a growing chorus of economists and lawyers is wondering if the world wasn’t too hasty in turning its back on tontines. These financial arrangements, they say, have aspects that make a lot of sense despite their history of disrepute.

loll this is great

not quite the same, but there's a fairly common practice where companies take out a life insurance policy on their employees, except when you die they get the payout.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It's getting hard to find reasonably priced conversion vans these days though, SUVs have made it tough to find one in good condition used, the market is so much smaller.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It doesn't make sense to me that there are people who looked at the simple pleasure of enjoying food and thought, you know what would be cool is if eating food was no longer enjoyable, it needs to be more like putting gas in the car. Because eating is such a chore? Most of the fart apps I can at least understand the (often stupid) problem they're working on fixing. But Soylent baffles me that it's actually a real product that got funding and people are using.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

breaking news top percent of the country doesn't understand the squalor the rest of it has been left to rot in

one of the most infuriating conversations I've ever had was with three fancy corporate lawyers a few months ago. One of them actually worked on health care litigation, which just turned into this whole frustrating convo; it felt like explaining it to a small child. What do you mean, health resources are scarce? Surely everyone has access to everything and all human lives are treated equally, what do you mean people are dying of Hep C while there's a cure available (that costs ~50k in the US). One of them unironically ripped on Canada's awful system. Health care for everyone means long lines, and gently caress if they care people are dying, they hate lines. Have to keep your priorities straight.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

try $100k for one course - and some patients require two

it's so expensive that insurance won't even touch it until you start showing high enough levels of liver damage to "qualify"

and yet, if you go to India it's a fraction of that cost. I mean, I get that drugs are expensive to develop but I know it doesn't cost them 100k for a course of pills that poo poo is ridiculous gouging. Like that rear end in a top hat hedge fund manager who bumped the price of Daraprim from 13 to 750

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MeruFM posted:

maybe up to a certain level.
it's hard to sympathize with someone who opted to make 200k for a evil corporation instead of 70k for a good wholesome company.

what i'm saying is kill them all

if you have the choice and know that the company you're working for is evil; it's entirely possible to think you're on the other side of things; no one wants to think of themselves as the bad guy. there's a lot of ambiguity even in, say, working for Google or Apple - are they good or bad?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

military industrial complex. that thing Eisenhower kept warning us about

who cares what some hippie German had to say about the US :rolleyes:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Soricidus posted:

the purpose of making nuclear weapons is to deter nuclear war by making it so terrible that it would never be rational to use a nuclear weapon

the purpose of advertising is to trick your way into people's subconscious minds and undermine their free will

i know which of those sounds like a more ethical goal to me

this would only work if people were rational actors.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if google et al really believe in "don't be evil," they won't fight organizers, and they'll accede to (some) union demands.

they don't; actually they got rid of this motto in 2009. Alphabet employees still believe it though, wow I'm making all this money and helping save the world just by working here *smells farts*

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i mean this is the same sort of bullshit idea that leads people to declare that ~coding is an artform~ and get all pretentious about it. i'm personally of the opinion that there's usually one or two "correct" ways to solve a coding problem optimally and anything else is dumb and wrong, there is no artistic license in coding any more than there is in mathematics.

this is an interesting viewpoint, especially when you consider how many famous mathematicians like Russell, Mandelbrot, Hardy et. al regarded math as much as an art as a science. It's a creative process and a lot of potentially excellent programmers and mathematicians get turned off because of attitudes like this

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

prefect posted:

is it possible that those guys were like picasso, where he could paint normal according to all the "standards", but once he had that nailed down, he just went bonkers with the creativity?

yes. There are also people like Paul Graham (who many either really like or dislike) who were also trained as artists or musicians before they became programmers.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

computer parts posted:

if by perfectly aware you mean they were taught them at some point, then probably most all of them that went to college

if you mean they think about them but decide not to, then probably not many of them

also best practices implies industry standard, and in the case of programming that would mean programming in Java and some bs ITIL framework. Best practices doesn't mean they're actually the best.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Condiv posted:

paul graham also posted on the internet about how the sept. 11th attacks were like a stack overflow exploit and how 9/11 wouldn't have happened if people would just use lisp

some of his essays and personal views are poo poo, unlike any other successful programmers or artists ever. People who can do difficult things are difficult people, you don't say

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pointers posted:

lol
i havent touched crypto in a while i couldnt remember a better example :blush:

ed25519 is an elliptic curve and probably quite safe so your suggestion wasn't actually bad

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

this example is so totally orthogonal to the realities of professional development that it makes me question how much you understand the conversation

especially when you consider how far ahead industry is of academia in a lot of ways and how little of that gets published; the best text to speech algorithms are tightly controlled trade secrets for example

to me arguing that most programmers shouldn't know how to think creatively is like asking aspiring musicians to just play back these recordings of music because they're not qualified to make their own, only music profs are allowed to do that

I mean I get the whole don't reinvent the wheel idea but there's so much more to programming than just standard algorithms

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

so once per page we're just going to fall back to programming is like art now?

what, conceptually, is the difficulty in understanding "professional standards" and how they might apply to programmers or it in general?

no I get that, it's fine I just think you can do this and still have good taste and programmers who aren't terminally boring. Do people with good taste work at Microsoft

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

wgaf? what relevance does this have to the concept of professional standards?

do architects have good taste? are they terminally boring? does it have any relevance to their ability to design a structure that doesn't collapse and kill its occupants?

falling water is a nice looking building, but if the contractor hadn't added extra concrete and reinforcments, the cantilevered balcony would have collapsed. It would be a shame to see software development converge around accounting firm culture is all. I think creative, aesthetically pleasing design and good professional standards / secure are all things that are important and should all be part of computer systems that's all.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

er, idk what you're on about here, but a cave-bound hermit professor ekeing out new algorithms doesn't have to worry about requirements gathering, extensibility, working with a team either local or distributed, etc.

nothing to do with creative or not, it's fundamentally a different type of work that doesn't apply

working in software development tends to require a lot of different skills; that comment was mostly a reply to the post you'd quoted about academics being the only ones qualified to make new things, everyone else can just reimplement someone else's design.

I think that thinking creatively and being flexible is important to working with groups and solving problems in business as well though. Software development does seem to have a lot of issues with intellectual property that helps ensure the same issues keep coming up, I don't know how that compares to other industries. I'm hopeful that eventually we'll have automated tools that more or less just work for things like security and check for simple off-by-one errors and such. And we'll get rid of php completely

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm not even a programmer, i just have absolutely zero reason to believe that whatever certification you have in mind is going to be anything more than a worthless rubber stamp on a resume

i mean i guess the upside is this will create a lot of new jobs for all the paperwork and record keeping that will be involved

if they actually set up standards that made people clearly liable for stupid things it would help. Here's what you have to do for compliance against cross site scripting, here's what you have to do when you secure a database. It's not going to solve the problem but it would clearly establish what at minimum you have to do to not be negligent (making it easier to hold those who don't accountable).

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i mean when you take the test you'd be told at least once that if you gently caress this poo poo up you're liable, which i think would do more than people seem to think.

also a bunch of the idiot programmers i've met literally do not know how to do these things, or that you should do these things, or that there exists procedures for doing these things, so they just do it themselves or grab the first half-assed answer off SO that tells them to disable certificate checking or w/e and go with it. this would at the very least create a point where they explicitly have to be exposed to this information, even if it's just cramming for the test or whatever.

I think a part of the problem is that there's no one place to look for answers to these questions, and the best answers tend to be trade secrets. I'm sure google has a whole set of processes they adhere to when they develop web apps, and I'm also sure they don't share some of that info openly. It's also often not discussed during most CS classes.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

sometimes i watch garbage home-reno shows on DIY network because i guess i like to watch men do things with their hands and PBS doesn't always show this old house...and holy poo poo the cost of some of the "custom backsplashes" you see are hilariously absurd

metal subway tiles!! poo poo ends up somehow costing as much or more than the countertops

best part is most of the people doing this will never cook a meal in that kitchen

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

the CEO of VW claimed to Congress recently that it was rogue software developers who did this of their own accord, because what programmer doesn't love coding for regulatory compliance just for shits

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I think it's a bit strange that there are gendered athletic shoes for men and women. Heels and dress shoes, I sort of get that even if it's silly but athletic shoes should be unisex imo. Ladies have brands that are great, like Mizunos but they only have a few choices for men and I think that's dumb. Sort of like formal wear, suits are dead boring compared to all the choices women have.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I like the zoetrope ads in subway tunnels, those are about the only ads that don't bug me

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone else know old people who will mention ads they saw on the television because they enjoyed them and found them witty or whatever and you just kind of stare blankly at them because they are old and insane

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

um excuse me it's the one before 7

duh

that looks like one of those royal family trees where people gently caress their cousins and brothers

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

what do you have against iterative development

nothing in general, but if Windows 10 were a person it would be Charles II of Spain

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

doing God's work

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

like, you'll think that you'll never need to use the head flashlight thingy but one day when you're poking at a leaking water heater in the dark you'll be all 'yeah this was totes worth it'

headlamps are handy for hiking / mountaineering

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you folks worry too much about money, who cares. you're trading living in san francisco for vegas. is sfo really that bad that it's no better than vegas

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you can milk anything with nipples

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

long shifts maintain the same doc on the same patient for as long as possible to reduce the number of handoffs and thus reduce the amount of data lost. if you switched to 8 hour shifts a patient staying for 24 hours would have 3 different docs and 2 chances for data loss.

if they had better record keeping it wouldn't be a problem and they could go to 8 hour shifts without risks to patient care.

software in the medical field is almost universally terrible due mostly to the barriers to entry and how they're sourced, billed. If you go to a modern hospital, even an excellent one they're still going to be doing things like running some tests on win 98 machines and charging at least a few hundred for the privilege. Someone should fix that, it'd be a good way to make money but it'd be boring. It would be sweet if hospitals had modern systems and doctors with nice tablets and apps, but in a lot of cases they're working with really poor digital tools and paper records.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Big John is a goon who used to sell other goons (loosechanj included) special jerky on SA Mart that was extra fatty. Not sure if he still sells fatty jerky by request you should ask

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

if you want to blow clouds be honest with yourself and smoke a weed

vaping weed is also a thing though, you can get cartridges with concentrated oil loaded in legal / med states

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cyberbird posted:

a thing i am seriously considering to manage chronic pain without ruining my lungs (as much).

why not just eat it, that doesn't damage your lungs at all and you could regulate the dose more easily

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

qirex posted:

remember zynga? they still suck but they suck slightly less than anticipated!

p.s. "I was saying the version that ends with an 'a' so (not racist)" is worse than just saying the word itself imo

according to prophet tupac shakur, it's a way for blacks to reclaim the word as a life affirming type thing,

here, he puts it way better than I ever could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJmD--_-c4I

ofc if you're white probably just don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

tupac was a billion times more revolutionary than any LF poster ever will be

in Tupac Resurrection (which is a good doc. about his life) there's this part where they talk about the first time he was shot, five times, and lived. He'd just been shot in the head twice, groin twice, and once in the hand but was still conscious and coherent. First thing he wanted was a blunt to kill the pain before the hospital, while all his friends at the studio are just :stare: wth are you okay how are you still conscious

• Locked thread