Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

It's so hard to pick the next game to buy. I really have no criteria to make the final decision on but I think I've narrowed it down to Chaos in the Old World, Kemet, Agricola, or 7 Wonders.

7 wonders is a bad game. The cool thing is that you can play it with up to 7 players; unfortunately, it's best with 3-4, and is too random at 5+. And if you're going to play with 3-4, there are hundreds of better games.

Kemet is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rexides posted:

Speaking of which, what's the thread's opinion on "Legacy" games? I followed a LP of Risk Legacy (that didn't get through all the content, as far as I remember), and found it very cool. Me and my gaming group absolutely love Pandemic, and I was thinking that maybe I should get Pandemic: Legacy next year. Will I be a horrible person who supports bad games if I do so? :ohdear:

Risk legacy is 10x better than risk. Risk is real bad though, so that's not saying much.

When my group did risk legacy we basically engineered situations that would allow us to modify the board. After a few "oh poo poo!" Moments we'd be all excited to play again until we realized each time it was still risk. Just a little better.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I need to spend $15 more at funagain for free shipping. Any ideas?

I've already got the standards (love letter, resistance, etc)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yas posted:

Through the Ages or Nations? I know TtA is well regarding both here and in general but I figured I would ask the thread if they have any strong opinions towards Nations.

Last weekend I played Nations for the first time and really enjoyed it. It felt very streamlined and deep. I have played TtA a few times a few years ago and did not enjoy it at all. I liked Nations enough that I traded for a copy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just learned Temporum and played a couple turns single player.

I have zero idea what I'm doing. There's no cohesion to it. Gonna play an actual game tonight

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PuttyKnife posted:

Got to sit down and play a 7 hour game of Avalon Hill's Dune. If you haven't heard of this game, i'd really recommend playing it by any means possible. It is fantastic but don't take my word for it, check out this informative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQwPqToLwjU

Was super excited to get this game out of its box here in ole Pennsylvania.

When I played in Austin, I often played with pretty aggressive wargamers. Our games lasted maybe 3-4 hours. However, in Pennsylvania I had a whole bunch of traditional game loving folks who had actually played it before, read the Dune novels, and actually liked the idea of making deals. I had to set up a whole extra room in order to accommodate for the degree of strategy meetings folks needed to have.

I got stuck with the Bene Gesserit and I wrote down that Harkonen would win on turn 6. What ended up happening was that my troops spread around the world as spiritual advisers and after partnering up with the Fremen, I made a move to take over all of Arakkis at once!

Only...the Attreides were on to my plans and blew up the barrier protecting the northern fortresses from the sand storm while the storm itself blew onto the fortress my Fremen allies wanted to take. On the next turn, all of the Bene Gesserit save 4 were murdered during the storm phase of the next turn.

Ultimately, the Guild won on the last turn by default as no one could muster enough troops to stop them.

After playing, I decided I really need to try the 9 player variant for this game. I can't even imagine what chaos it would create given the powers they've given the Ix and the Bene Tleilaxu...

Dune is a fantastic game. FFG has released Rex, a mechanically equivalent re-theme set in the TI Universe. It is also excellent.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some good games with an auction mechanic?

A great short game with auctions is Biblios

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lorini posted:

OK Broken Loose et al, have at it :)

Not choices I would make but if there's interest, perhaps I'll note the stuff I'd change tomorrow.

Children: No
More than two hours: Yes
Hardest rules ever: Yes

Axis and Allies?!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

Carson City, bitches. Although it's super out of print right now

Carson City is an amazing game.

Agricola is a terrible game for unhappy people.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MildManeredManikin posted:

Is there a game that does what Diplomacy does but without all the bullshit? I've heard a lot about diplomacy, I've never played it myself but it just seems kind of dated and bloated with mechanics that are sort of periphery to the part of it that is actually fun. Also with a long play time and high player count it seems difficult to even get people to play it.

MildManeredManikin posted:

Ah, my mistake. I didn't look at it very extensively. The play time is still less than ideal but I otherwise stand corrected.

Given that you didn't look at it extensively, or really at all, I'm very curious what bullshit, dated and bloated mechanics peripheral to the part that is actually fun you were referring to.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Elyv posted:

How is Kemet for two?

To reiterate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUa3ft2nhyA

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just played 1944: Race to the Rhine for the first time, and it was excellent.

It's a max 3 player racing game. With armies. Monty, Brad, and Patton start in Paris in 1944, each pushing east to see who can get to Dusseldorf first and become the biggest hero of the war.

Each has 3-4 armies to move across the board, taking out Germans along the way, using their gas (movement), ammo (combat) and food (gotta eat) resources along the way. But each army can't carry nearly enough to get there. What do they need? Supply trucks.

See 1944 isn't a racing game so much as it is a logistics and supply planning game set against a historical race. You have to establish supply lines, move resources back and forth to the right locations, and manage your convoys to make sure the armies don't stall out in the middle of nowhere. But if your supply lines are too thin, the other players can use German forces to cut them off, stranding your armies.

It's a great game. Took about 90 minutes including rules.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Don't know the other two, but I've heard good things about Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is the point salad shittiness of Castles of Burgundy but some how far far worse and random.

Spyrium is an interesting worker placement / area control game. Same designer as Caylus.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

Trains' greatest flaw was not being confident enough to ditch the basic dominion style. But that's a problem players can fix with the card setup.

Trains' biggest flaw is unlimited actions/buys.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

tarbrush posted:

So has anyone else played Homeland? The description above sounded great

Yeah I'm interested in playing it now too, especially if it has zero spoilers for the show.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

I have the perfect game for you my friend. Panic on Wall Street is perfect at 6-8 players, is mostly timed so kills AP, and plays considerably under 2 hours. Other suggestions above have you covered for the four player or less range.

It should be noted that Panic on Wall Street / Masters of Commerce is FAR better with an odd number of players than with even.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cenotaph posted:

It plays that fast and it's brutal and great. If you have a weak player it can throw the whole thing out of whack, though.

The best review of it I've seen is from clearclaw on BGG - he's the guy who taught me 18XX.

clearclaw on bgg posted:

Wabash Cannonball is a sub-hour 3-4 player ultra-efficient knife-fight of an economic game. I love it. The primary patterns are emergent alliances and incentive structures. Everything you do from the moment the game starts helps someone and hurts someone else, sometimes the same person. Everything you do incentivises players to take actions that variously help and hinder you. Much of the game comes down to ensuring that those short-lived emergent alliances, built totally on individual greedy self-interest, work in sum to your advantage. Everything in the game, including how long the game will last and the rate at which the game will play, is in the player's control and driven by that mesh of incentives and self-interest that the players have communally built.

This is a tough game. Really, tough. There is a lot of butterfly effect and the long term effect of decisions is often difficult to even vaguely estimate. This results in a strange problem: While it is a game that greatly rewards skill, it is also particularly opaque. This can often lead to players winning through no great skill of their own, but rather because the other players simply failed to prevent them from winning or unknowingly handed the win to another player. This is not inherently a bad thing and many games are like that. The problem is that because the game is so particularly opaque, that seeing that this is happening and preventing it presents an unusually subtle learning curve. The result can leave many early games feeling somewhat random, and in truth they will be rather random...until the players start to catch on and all the players at the table are of comparable skill.

What makes this particular trip so interesting is that the game is also highly prone to groupthink until the players really catch on to what is going on with the game.

I've played it a few times and it is fantastic.

Note there's also a $3 iOS version with pass 'n' play multiplayer on the iOS app store under the game's original name, Wabash Cannonball.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I downloaded the app, its very nice but the AI is terrible - I won against 3 AIs in my first game.

Still, I'm now pretty sure I want the game.

My bad, I should have mentioned that. It's very good for playing around a table with people, but the single player is not great. I met the guy who wrote the app (clearclaw taught him 18XX too) but it looks like the app hasn't been updated since 2011.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Has anyone developed/found a good tool for drumming up local trades/sales? I am allergic to shipping costs and want to get rid of/exchange a ton of games.

It looks like BGG's rudimentary API doesn't let you retrieve user locations even if they're public.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

How do you feel about Arctic Scavengers?

It's real bad.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Imperial Settlers

Imperial Settlers is a really bad game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Would love to hear more; it was heavily broken when I played it incorrectly, but I'm curious how it is compared to 51st state, or if you just think the entire series is flawed beyond playing.

As I've said in a couple threads when it comes up, here is a great way to simulate playing IS in about 1 minute:

Malloreon posted:

If you want to play this game very quickly, gather 3 other players. Each player gets a die, and each sums 5 rolls of their die to determine their final score.
One random player, Japan, gets a d4. Two others get a d6 each. One player, Egypt, gets a d12.

In brief, each player has common buildings that can be attacked/destroyed by other players, and unique buildings, that cannot. Japan's unique buildings, however, can be attacked/destroyed as if they were common. To make up for it, each turn they can place one double strength defender dude.

Also, one of the Egypt player's unique buildings, the Oasis, is utterly game breaking. It boils down to "every time another player does [common action], Egypt gets to do [common action] as well, for free."

The game boils down to "if Egypt draws the Oasis before round 3 of 5, they will win by 30-40 points. Under no circumstances will Japan win."

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Someone sell me Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and any other sets you have.

if you are in the bay area CA or willing to pay shipping, have I got a deal for you.

I have thunderstone, advance: towers of ruin, advance: caverns of bane, doomgate legion, and thornwood siege that I want to get rid of. Most are opened with the decks still sealed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EBag posted:

I've been enjoying Glass Road recently which is also all about generating and converting resources, but has an interesting role selection mechanic which makes it feel more unique and plays in like 1/4 of the time as OeL with more variation to each game with all the different buildings. I'd get GR over OeL, especially with OeL being hard to find.

I have stayed away from Glass Road after it managed to to pass playtesting with in infinite resource loop intact. Is it worth trying?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

No discount on the imperial assault main game? weak.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

ruining the game for everyone rather than just saying "I'd rather not play this."

I cannot emphasize how important saying this is. I have played a lot of games.

More importantly, I have figured out the types of games that I like and I play those, and avoid playing games I'm very sure I'm not going to like.

My weekly game group has about 30 regulars, and there are many games that are always present, and played pretty much every week. I don't like a lot of these games, and my being very vocal in saying "no thanks, that game's not for me, but you all enjoy it" is a fantastic way to save everyone time and make sure everyone including me enjoys themselves more.

Don't play games you don't like. It's not worth it for anyone!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I ragequit a game once but I am not ashamed of it.

It was a first time playing a more complicated worker placement game. We were ~75 minutes in to what turned out to be a 100-120 minute game in future playthroughs.

One player announced suddenly, out of the blue, that he had to leave.

Then, with his final turn, he used every single resource he had to destroy everything I'd built, reducing me to basically starting resources, cause he said later, "it looked like you were winning."

I stopped right there and packed it up.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I'm struggling to think of what game this is. Manhattan Project or Dominant Species? Not many worker placements let you blow things up.

Good one, it was Manhattan Project. Note this was a fairly competitive small group. We had a website where we tracked plays and wins by each player.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Libertalia is the best pirate game I've played, and it also plays 3-6 comfortably.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Has anyone played Forge War? I blind bought it after Rahdo called it one of the best heavy economic games of the year.

Also got Argent and Colt Express. first time buying games in months.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I used to have a board game shopping addiction and I bought far too many games till I realized what I was doing in december 2013. Since then I've bought maybe 10. I have many many games unplayed, a few unopened. I'm trying to play everything and then sell the ones that aren't long term keepers.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Dominant Species for the first time today.

3 rounds and 3 hours with rules in, we decided to remove 10 dominance cards from the deck. Finished the game in 4 hours with rules on a shortened deck.

Game was intense. Completely nuts, and a ton of fun.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'd read all the rules before hand and played a few rounds of the ipad game.

I taught the game and we have some AP prone people. I think we'd be a lot faster the next time. Also, playing 6 handed the first time was probably a mistake.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Played two games tonight:

Colt Express Spiel nominee, 2nd play, first with 5, second with 6

Colt Express is a good game. it's fun, it's easy to learn and teach. There's not much to it. The choices you have aren't too complex and there really isn't too much planning you can do because you don't know the actions the other players have available, so the best you can do is make your best choice and hope it works out.

I've played it twice now and I plan on selling my copy to the first person who wants it. I'd play it again, but I'd rather play something else.

Aztlan A deceptively simple area control game. First time playing it, and it was great.

The map has 5 different land types as well as impassable water spaces.

Each player has a hand of cards 4-9. 4 is wild, each other is associated with one of the land types. each round (there are 5), each player places one of their cards face down. then you take turns placing one new dude anywhere you want (each round each player gets 8-(round number) dudes) on the board and optionally move any of your dudes to an adjacent space.

After all the moves are done, you resolve conflicts in spaces where there are multiple players' dudes. each player turns over their chosen card, and that card's value is the strength of each of their dudes for that round. whoever sums to the most power gets to decide whether to kill off all the other players' dudes. If they let them live, they get a bonus card that gives extra points at the end or other benefits.

then you score. for each contiguous region you control, you score 1 point for each space in the region, plus the square of the number of spaces in that region that match the card you played that turn.

It was intense. The decreasing number of actions each turn (7 down to 3 in the last round) is crazy limiting. after round 2 no one skips a move without thinking super hard about it.

I've owned it for 2 year and finally played it. Definitely keeping for a few more plays.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Motherfucking FORGE WAR is everything Lords of Waterdeep should have been.

It is baller as gently caress.

Area control with funky thought provoking mechanics? Yes.

Worker placement with tough choices? Yes.

"Short" game taking ~90 minutes? Yes.

"Epic" game taking 3-4 hours? YES.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FORGE WAR with 2 players is a totally different and equally awesome game as with 4.

It remains by far the best game I have played in 2015.

I am gearing up to try the epic variant soon.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I'm about to have some folks down to play BSG tonight and this is a group who isn't always the best at reading and interpreting rulebooks, and most folks have only played it 0 or 1 times, so are there any good resources or tips for making sure we are all playing it the way God intended? Base game only.

I assume you're not going to read the rulebook with the whole group there, right? You're going to teach them the game and then play?

Never learn the game at the table.

also use this: http://www.orderofgamers.com/downloads/BattlestarGalactica_v4.2.pdf

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rexides posted:

My and a a friend of mine are going for a three-day hiking trip soon. In-between gawking at the majesty of mother nature, we would like to have some kind of game to play because we are huge nerds. Do you have any suggestions for a game where:

• It can be tightly packed (even if the original box is bighuge)
  • Doesn't weight that much
  • Good for two players (doesn't matter if co-op or competitive)
  • Does not require large flat surfaces.
  • Lasts less than half an hour
  • It's not "Just bring a deck of playing cards you nerds"

Mechanically we are into all kinds of things. I'd prefer good games, but given all the other restrictions I can't be too picky, as long as it's not really bad (haven't been in the thread for a while, are we allowed to diss Munchkin?). I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to buy Dominion, but I am kinda worried about the surface required to put all the decks.

My go to 2 player games in small boxes:

Jaipur
Agricola: all creatures great and small
Revolver

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Keshik posted:

This rulebook is just bonkers.

You're bonkers. It's a wargame manual. Every individual rule is marked with a label for later reference.

The redrawing after action rounds question is rule 4.5: "Deal Cards" is step B in each turn. "Action rounds" is step D. So no, you don't redraw between action rounds.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I honestly find the rulebook for TS pretty concise.

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Anyway, it is a rewarding game once it's going.

Forge War remains loving amazing. I got a two player short game down to a clean 50 minutes last night. Gearing up for a 3 player epic game in a couple weeks.