Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SwissCM posted:

It allows for exploitative business practices and creates an environment that is anti-consumer.

I'm pretty sure that was :thejoke:, since he phrased it the same way as people who try to portray strong labor protections as a violation of employees' freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Has anybody ordered/purchased a 6p recently that can comment on the time it took for it to be shipped?

Going by posts on /r/Nexus6P and xda, there's a couple possibilities:

A) If you order a 32 or 64GB aluminum right now, you'll get it in a day or two.

B) If you order a 128GB aluminum or any size graphite or frost, or if you pre-ordered any size or finish, including the 32/64gb aluminums that are shipping out immediately for new orders: Who the gently caress knows. Maybe you'll get a phone eventually, maybe not. :shrug:

quote:

Also, I've read a review or two that mentions that the screen on the 5x is better in low light and for color reproduction that the 6p screen. Has anybody been able to compare two directly? Also, is this even a significant difference, or are both screens going to be so much better than what I'm used to that it won't really matter?

From what I've read, any issues with the 6P's brightness and color reproduction are solved by turning off adaptive brightness and going into developer options and turning on sRGB mode.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Present posted:

What are my options for a 5 inch screen or smaller phone with a great camera?

Nexus 5X if you can deal with an extra .2" of screen.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

What case should I get for my Nexus 6P? My friend recommended this one: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-Rugged-Resilient-Ultimate-protection/dp/B016CBFBVI/ but I also not Diztronic is recommended here and I have one on the phone I'm replacing.

I strayed from the righteous Diztronic path by buying the Adopted case from the play store. I was justly punished by the case gods for my unfaithfulness and shall never stray again. Not being able to take a screenshot or change the volume the way you'd like or even turn the screen off and on reliably because pressing one side button also presses all the others makes for a bad experience.

The Spigen case is probably pretty good, everyone that has it seems to like it. But I replaced the Adopted with the Diztronic and the diz is so much better it hurts.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Super Dude posted:

What? I can take screenshots, change the volume, and hit the power button without any issues.

Like Reverse Centaur, if I got one nail on the very top of the power button, and one nail on the very bottom of the Vol- button, I could get a screenshot most of the time. Sometimes it would still randomly change the volume. Trying to turn down the volume worked if I hit the very edge of the Vol- button. Hitting the power button was a coin toss between actually toggling the screen or turning the volume up. Trying to turn the volume up without either turning off the screen or turning the volume down was effectively impossible.

I have none of these issues with the Diztronic.

Theris fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 16, 2015

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Karthe posted:

And yet there's still no loving way to determine what's causing the Keep Awake in Android OS without having to root. Come the gently caress on, Google, why have you not seen the need for more granular power use graphs? :argh:

Yeah, idgi. It seems a really obvious and easy way to head off people assuming there's something wrong with their phone if you can show them exactly what lovely app they probably don't need is causing it.

"THIS PHONE IS poo poo WITH A TERRIBLE BATTERY :mad:" *posts screenshot of battery graph showing a non-stop wakelock* is one of the most common posts on /r/Nexus6P right now.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

I just plugged my Nexus 5X into it with an offical Google A-to-C cable, and it registers as "charging rapidly", and it did indeed appear to be charging as fast as the wall charger does. I'm not sure what USB-C needs to qualify as "charging rapidly", but 5V 2A from that quickcharger is doing it.

The 5x and 6p have the necessary hardware/controller chips to work with QuickCharge chargers, but supposedly it's disabled for licensing reasons.

Either accidentally or "accidentally," it doesn't seem to actually be disabled.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's also the glass breaking randomly on the back problem. According to iFixit, the glass on the back of the Nexus 6P is really fragile so some of these cases might not be lies.

Which of the 4 reported cases (only two of which came with pictures) are you reasonably confident isn't a lie?

I enjoy checking whenever I see a link to a different site with an article about this super widespread issue to see if they have any new pictures other than the same two from the original Reddit thread. For some weird reason, they never do.

The microphone issue is an actual problem that affects some number of phones. It's hard to tell exactly how common it is, but judging by posts on Reddit it isn't very many.

There are a ton of "Wow, I was worried about getting this after all the problems I read about but surprisingly my phone is just fine!" posts, though, which is pretty funny.

Edit: vvvv :stonk:

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 22, 2015

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Well, it doesn't matter if it throttles, it matters if it noticeably affects performance.

It could be throttling all the time always and IDGAF because the 6P is the fastest phone I've ever used.

Apparently it throttles after around 30 seconds of benchmarking, but I don't know what real life workloads would be comparable. The sort of things people normally use a smartphone for that are compute intensive for more than a few seconds at a time are handled by the ISP, DSP, or GPU anyway. Maybe some games might do it, but are there games that actually max out a modern smartphone's CPU?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I dunno, I guess I'm just still firmly in the camp of people who'd rather do gaming on literally anything but a phone, but for calling, texting, browsing, taking pictures and video, normal phone stuff, it's been nothing but exceptional.

Same. Lots of tech media has been making a big deal out of the 808/810 throttling, but for most people there just isn't a use case where you're driving the big cores at 100% long enough for the throttling to be noticeable. If you're one of those people who I'll never be able to understand* doing hardcore gaming on your phone, you should probably be on iOS anyway.

It reminds me of the Samsung 950 SSD. There's people who've spent time and money to add heatsinks to theirs, because benchmarks show that the controller overheats and throttles writes after a certain period of time. Of course, no one seems to consider that full speed writes over that period of time (I don't remember exactly how long) would be enough to write something like 75% of the drive's capacity, something that never actually happens in real world usage and therefore not worth actually worrying about. Tech media is really bad at relating the difference between benchmarks and actual usage.

*People who spend lots of time on public transportation are the exception, I kind of get that. Otherwise if I'm somewhere that the only gaming device I have access to is my phone, it's because I'm doing poo poo more interesting/important/both than video games. :shrug:

Theris fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 29, 2015

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Also that the 6p's side buttons are in kind of a dumb place and should be higher up. Though I guess that's subjective. On the other hand, since the power button seems to be the weak point for the bending issue, if it was higher up maybe it would bend less.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 29, 2015

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

chippy posted:

I've got that Anker 20100 and it works a treat with my 6P. No fires or melted phones yet. The only caveat with it is that the bidirectional charging on the USB-C port means that you have to remember to press the button before attaching it or it charges from your phone.

I have the Ravpower one that was linked and it somehow knows whether its USB-C port is connected to a charger or a phone that it's supposed to be charging, no button press required.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Oh good. Between this thread and /r/Nexus6P I was starting to think I was the only person with a functional 6p. Only performance complaint I have is how long it takes to process HDR. Otherwise there's no lag/jank at all and I get 4-5 hours of SOT between charges.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I will try a factory reset first as I have not done one, but it's good to know this behaviour isn't normal. Thanks.

Try clearing cache from recovery first. Do a factory reset if that doesn't work.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The 7.1.1 beta fixed the early shutoff problem for me. Also improved battery life a bit in general.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

When has something been so small it required micro and not mini (which is similar in size to C)?

The smallest chargeable thing I have is my Fitbit, and it uses a proprietary (:argh:) connector that's about the same size as mini. Stuff that actually needs micro has to be pretty niche.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

While my use of my phone's fingerprint reader is absolutely motivated by being a lazy gently caress, there is at least some consideration of risk involved. Someone needs access to my fingerprints, the capability/knowledge needed to spoof them, motivation to do so, and physical access to my phone. I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong, but a convergence of those four things seems vanishingly unlikely to me. Unlikely enough that I'm willing to risk it rather than input my lengthy password everytime I want to do something on my phone.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The 5X and 6P use ARMv8 vector instructions (NEON) for FDE, which is faster than most software implementations but is still software. IIRC Google says it's because it's actually faster than the 810/808 hardware AES, which wouldn't surprise me if true because lol 810.

I don't think the AOSP vs custom skin thing is the case because I don't see why AOSP couldn't use it if it was available and fall back to software if not, it's just instructions that are part of the ARMv8-A spec like the NEON instructions they use instead.

And just to clarify if anyone is confused by "hardware encryption:" most phones with SoCs that support ARM TrustZone use it as a hardware backed keystore even if the actual encryption/decryption is done in software.

Theris fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 23, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

seravid posted:

Is there any info on how common the 6P battery issue is? I'm about to buy one (refurb; can't find it new anywhere) since it remains the best choice in the 300~400€ range and I'd like to know what the odds are.

It seems pretty common, to the point that a refurb probably has a new battery since that's most likely what it was RMA'd for. I wouldn't get a new one that's been sitting on the shelf for a while, but a refurb should be fine. (As long as it's from somewhere with a decent return/exchange policy)

Edit: FWIW, my launch day 6p shuts off between 15-20% if I've had it outside in sub freezing temps during that charge cycle, otherwise it's fine. But a lot of other people (even in this thread) seem to have it worse.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 23, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Same here. Had to login again on my 6p as well as Chrome on my desktop.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're massively convenient and much faster and easier than entering a pin or password. No one has said or claimed they're more secure, you're being extremely silly and closeminded. Don't use it for your bank account, but use it to unlock your phone yes.

This. A fingerprint reader is absolutely less secure than a good passphrase. The question is is it less secure enough to justify typing in a lengthy passphrase every time you want to check something on your phone, and for most people the answer to that is "absolutely not." Hell, for a lot of people it's actually an increase in overall security because they're more likely to back it with a real passphrase when they'd otherwise be using a 4 digit PIN or 4 point pattern or even just swipe to unlock, and they're probably more likely to hide lockscreen notifications as well.

If your threat model includes actors with access to your fingerprint, the means to spoof it (or somehow use your own fingers in a scenario where they couldn't also just rubber-hose cryptanalysis your passphrase out of you*), and physical access to your phone while it's turned on then keep on trucking. But, you might want to reevaluate whether that's really the case, especially if you really are taking five seconds everytime you look at your phone. That adds up unless you're only unlocking your phone a few times a day.

*The last time this subject came up someone mentioned little kids or an untrustworthy family member or housemate using your finger to unlock your phone while you sleep. That's a legit threat for some people.

PerrineClostermann posted:

That said I do like it for unlocking the phone itself, just not for KeePass and similar

I don't use it for keep rear end either, but that's mostly because I don't unlock my KeePass vault nearly as often as I unlock my phone, plus there's quickunlock if I'm going to need a bunch of things out of it over a short period.

Theris fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 7, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Panasonic FZ-N1: Share your animes with as many people as you can for as long as you can.

For the connoisseur who's on the road a lot.

It even has the comically oversized rubber case favored by on the road a lot guys built in!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I have never had BT issues on any device, other than the never ending annoyance of not being allowed to pick which loving media app gets to play when the play button is pressed.

The March security update has changed my 6P's behavior back to launching and playing whatever media app was last used, which is an improvement on "always launch GPM even if PocketCasts is already running" that it had been doing for the last few months.

I fully expect the next update to change it back, though. :(

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

You're probably hosed. Spend $100 on one of those Blu phones or whatever to get a phone to hold you over I guess.

Or $70 to have UbreakIfix or whoever (or less for yourself) replace the battery.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SB35 posted:

Better specs, sure. Better phone? Ehh...

I think it is actually a better phone, all the way up to the moment it starts bootlooping. Then the Moto is better.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

But if I step outside to go to the car or to grill food or the dog or something I can barely hear it.

:ohdear:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Bluetooth on the Pixel Android is honestly pretty poo poo.

My N6P seems to have two "modes" for which app starts playing when I get in my car; either GPM always launches no matter what, or whatever media app I listened to last launches(which is what I prefer, since I mostly use PocketCasts on my phone). It's roughly even odds that any given monthly update will cause it to flip from the current mode to the other.

So that's the 6p's problem, but literally every Android device has Bluetooth issues that range from that level of annoying to "effectively doesn't work at all."

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Inept posted:

To be fair sometimes people blame an update when it's actually just really poo poo hardware dying like my Nexus 5X that is bootlooping now!

See also: People in /r/Nexus6p clinging to the idea that Nougat caused the early shutdown/rapid battery degredation "bug" and that it can be fixed with a patch despite the shitload of "Hey guys I replaced my battery and don't have the early shutdown problem anymore and my SOT tripled!" posts.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

These are things I know :downs:

I've actually never owned a Samsung smart phone. I've had a few Samsung monitors, a Samsung printer that refused to die, a Samsung hard drive that also is refusing to die, a Samsung dumb phone, and probably at least one microwave. I dunno, maybe I've gotten lucky.

Samsung's​ different divisions are unusually loosely associated compared to other conglomerates, to the point that one division's product quality isn't really indicative of another's.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

google play music is a boon and a bane. It does things I like and don't but it introduces me to music that I like I've never heard before. Is there anyway to see all the songs I've thumbed up'd? I can't remember all these bands.

also not sure whether to post here or the apps thread but this seems like android centric.

There's an auto playlist of everything you've thumbed up. Hamburger menu > Music Library > Playlists. Chances are it's the first one at the top.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Oh ok cool thank you! If I buy a subscription will I be able to just go "Ok Google play *Band name*" and it'll go through that bands discog or do I need to buy all this poo poo?

Yeah. An all access subscription will let you play anything whenever.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's a reason the Android app thread subtitle for a long time was "Just get Pocketcasts."

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Sereri posted:

I do miss my lollipop blob people though. See you in heaven, little dancer blob. Still hoping to get O someday and be able to restore them to their former glory.

Yeah, about that...

RIP, actually good emojis.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I was hoping for a step up from 13mp really. Like when the lumia came out with 40mp but not a bad phone like that. Read somewhere the next nokia could have a big number like that. Can you really make up for the same resolution sensor with whatever, better materials/image processing?

Better optics, bigger sensors, and better post processing do a whole hell of a lot more for image quality than pixel count once you get past, oh, 6 or 8 MP or so. (at least for phone sized cameras) After that, all MOAR MEGAPIXELS is getting you is worse low light performance and bigger files.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Boywunda posted:

3.6 GB RAM? Seems odd. What phone has the most RAM out there now?

I think that means 4GB with a chunk reserved for VRAM (dunno if Android works like that though)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Also wanted to add that The Verge has decided the S8 is the best phone you can buy right now.

During the eight months between the release of the newest Samsung flagship and the next iPhone, the Verge will tell you the newest Samsung flagship is the best phone you can buy. During the four months between the release of the newest IPhone and the next Samsung flagship, the Verge will tell you the newest iPhone is the best phone you can buy.

There, now you never have to read another Verge "The best phone you can buy right now" article ever again.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

While I don't use mine anymore, if your fingerprint sensor is on the back, this is the worst loving place to put it.

I think the excitement isn't that it's on top, it's that there's a headphone jack at all.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Same here, my 5X has me enter my PIN every couple of days.

It's every 48 hours on stock Android. Fuckin lol at having to enter your PIN/password once every couple days being so "intensely annoying" that you switch back to having no security at all, though.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No, because some of us still enjoy using Android Pay.

:same:

My plan for if/when my 6P bootloops is to just get a G5+ to use while I do the RMA/refund dance with Google support, then use the refund to get a Pixel 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't it a very very low number of 6Ps that have been bootlooping? It's not nearly as big of a problem as it is with the 5Xs right?

It's definitely much less common than the 5x. One theory I've seen is that the 6p just suffers from the big core failure issue, while the 5x suffers from the big core failure issue and whatever problem causes all the other LG bootloops.