Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

OSheaman posted:

Doesn't it have a faster processor/better battery life/better camera? That's what the review sites seem to say unless I'm misreading.

It has a newer processor, but doesn't have the better screen from the z3/c. Sony uses a newer screen that greatly reduces the battery consumption of the screen. It also doesn't have a better camera, it's the older z2 camera. Your much better off with either a 2014 moto X or a droid turbo, though the turbo will cost a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

Never seen one in person. Nexus 5 seemed to be the first one really sold hard in Canada.

The Sony z3v has qi charging and is a glass back. It also just came out recently.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

axeil posted:

So is there a consensus on what the best Android phone on VZW is right now? Can I get whatever the latest Nexus is from Google Play and put it on my account? I've got an S4 that's really starting to get rough around the edges. I thought I'd wait for the S6 but it looks like it's going to cost a shitload and it doesn't seem all that great, plus I love that i've got root on my current S4 so I've made touchwiz and crapware basically disappear. I'm guessing the S6 is going to be locked down from here to the ends of the Earth so I can experience The Magic of Touchwiz.

You could get a moto x, droid turbo (which is basically a better, but more expensive moto x), or a nexus 6. The nexus 6 can only be bought through google or motorola. I'd just get the droid turbo, it has amazing battery life, a good camera, and doesn't have a lot of junk on it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

axeil posted:

Any word on when the Turbo is getting Android 5.0? That's the only thing holding me back from getting one as it seems like a good phone.

People in here were mentioning that Motorola was about to push out 5.0 but Google is about to release 5.1 and Motorola didn't want to restart the process for getting it approved. So they delayed it for Android 5.1

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

hooah posted:

Stepping away from Lollipop chat for a bit...

A new flagship isn't in the cards for me right now, so I'm looking at a "tide me over" phone. I'm leaning towards the new version of either the Moto G or E. I'm a little worried about the onboard storage (I do have an SD card lying around I can use, but meh) on them, but I guess it'd be OK for a year or so. Anything stand out about either of these options vs. the other? Other recommendations? Looking < $200.

Get either the 2013 Moto G LTE or a 2013 Moto X. The only difference between the Moto G's is a bigger screen and worse battery life because of it. The 2013 Moto X may be a little more money than what your looking for but will most likely be worth it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

TraderStav posted:

So Sony is now saying don't put Xperia phones under water? I put my Z3c in and took underwater pictures and nothing went wrong. Wonder if the new crop has lovely seals. Sounds like Sony isn't honoring warranties with water though so I'd stop immersing if you still have am Xperia.

I think that is more the reason. If sony was honoring every water damaged phone, they are probably losing a ton of money. Once a pcb is fried from water damage, it's dead. They have to give the person a brand new phone. It's nice that they are waterproofed, but I would never rely on that since I'm always dubious of warranties.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Probably should not have marketed it as such then.

Probably shouldn't, but they did anyway!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

They also mentioned that they didn't provide Qi because they always included it since mixing up the usb2.0 port was so common. Since USB-C is reversible this isn't an issue anymore. (This isn't exactly a good reason)

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Apparently there is a soak test for the Droid Turbo going out. I figure it's just some bug fixes and OS optimizations.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Nah it's Marshmallow, we're getting it before the Nexuses for sure

That would be pretty hilarious if that was the case.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

bull3964 posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Turbo on Verizon and it's getting M so....?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the carrier branded versions of the X sold so poorly that it's not worth doing the update channels with the carriers. Either that or it's a mixup.

I feel like it's Motorola trying to push itself away from carriers in general. With the new moto x not being carrier branded at all and the lack of updates to the 2014 moto x, they don't seem happy dealing with the carriers at all.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are there any explanations as to why Apple can push iOS updates without any problems yet most Android phones have to go through carrier red tape?

Apple dictated the terms of the agreements with the carriers. Most of the carriers had no sway. AT&T took a risk with the exclusivity and got a lot of money out of it. The other carriers wanted in and Apple decided what was best for them.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Motorola has made it kinda clear that they aren't interested in supporting carrier locked devices. So I'm not entirely surprised at the 2014 Moto X carrier locked devices not getting updates. I am surprised that they haven't announced whether the Moto E versions are. There might be hardware limitations, but I figured most of the internals were identical to the Moto G. Hopefully they mention they at least upgrade the Moto E's.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

Like releasing with Android 5.1?

It's a verizon branded phone. It won't be getting a brand new android version until verizon deems it so. This is why I'm never buying a carrier locked device again.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yup. I would have been tempted by this device if it was sold like the Pure, but I'm not giving up fast updates. It's been nice having all my main devices on the same Android version.

I love my turbo, but that is one thing I know is going to drive me insane. I just know that updates are going to take forever because it's verizon's baby and they don't see the point in pushing updates out except when the moon aligns with their whims. I am probably going to get the next nexus or moto phone next year.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

hooah posted:

Plus Motorola's done some weird stuff lately, like (possibly) indicating they won't even be upgrading the carrier variants of the 2014 X to Marshmallow. Yes I'm mad about it.

Motorola announced they are upgrading the Turbo 1 to Marshmellow. The question is more when it gets it. I would assume Verizon wants them to support their carrier exclusive phone for at least 2 years.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Tots posted:

Any charger that supports either 'Adaptive Fast Charging' or 'Quick Charge 2.0' should work. Disclaimer: I have no idea what either of those mean, what the differences are, or which is better.

Quick Charge 2.0 is Qualcomm's form of fast charging. I'm assuming Adaptive Fast Charging is samsung's. I have no idea what the difference is between them except that one may allow for different steps of wattage. Basically fast charging works by using the data lines of the USB cable to negotiate higher voltages and currents. I'm think most third party chargers have the capacity to use either, though I'm not certain. If they mention support for Samsung and other manufacturer's then they most likely support both systems.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Google TV

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

JayKay posted:

Someone talk me out of getting a Droid Turbo 2.

I have a Nexus 6 and was thinking about trying something different before the new Nexus phones dropped. Originally I thought about the 6P but it sounds like it's not worth the upgrade coming from the 6.

I'm aware I'll be losing all the Nexus updates, but I'd be getting back the Moto Assist features which I loved on my Droid Maxx. And I still get to keep my Qi charging!

Edit:

While I agree, it's not really on my radar.. I usually stick to picking up something used a year after they've been out.

As an owner of the original droid, I wouldn't buy it. It only got one OS update and it looks like that is all it will ever get in it's lifetime. Moto has been extremely slow even getting bug fixes out and you would be better off with a MXP or a Nexus device at this point.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

My biggest complaint with the Pixel isn't so much how it compares to the other flagships, but more how it compares to the previous year Nexus devices. There really isn't anything that screams the huge price increase. I could save a lot of money buying a Nexus 6p with 128 gb storage and then upgrade to the pixel when it inevitably goes down in price next year.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Because Motorola has a great history of fulfilling their update promises!

I still haven't received my marshmallow update for my droid turbo. They completely forgot about it. ~Lenovo~

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

What are the odds of Google's first stab at their own SoC not ending in tears though?

They've designed a processor before specifically for AI. Plus, Android exclusively uses ARM architecture, so it's not particularly difficult to design hardware around the architecture.

My hope is that Google's long term goals involve two major things:
1) Andromeda forces all manufacturers onto the same operating system. When manufacturers create new hardware they make drivers for it and it gets mainlined into the operating system. It makes pushing out security updates and upgrades to the operating system much, much easier. Plus, none of the companies have shown any kind of competency in making operating system level software. It still allows hardware companies to innovate too, they just need it mainlined into software.

2) Google starts manufacturing processors and offers longer lines of support. The fact is is Google can't guarantee support for their phones until Qualcomm shows they are willing and capable of supporting their chipsets for longer than 2 years. All the manufacturers are basically stuck with this issue because Qualcomm is really the only high end chipset manufacturer in the market (outside of Apple). Having a legitimate competitor in the market that supports their hardware for longer will force Qualcomm to do the same in order to keep customers.

It sounds really stupid to ask Google to act more like Apple, but the fact is is neither group has been shown to be competent at supporting the ecosystem and an external force has to push them in order to make Android/Andromeda a more competitive force.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Shoren posted:

Well the Pixel looks like an HTC phone externally at least. Given that most people don't care or see the internals you'd expect Google to be more concerned with HTC's influence on the external design compared to the internal.

The point they are making is that HTC had no influence on the design of this phone, internal or external. Google just hired them to actually put the phone together. Just like how Apple hires companies like Foxconn to put together their phones and computers. This is a true Google phone.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

New update for the droid turbo. Just got a survey. Probably just a security patch though.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I'm just curious what everyone's consensus would be on buying a Pixel through Verizon or through Google. I feel like I could get a Pixel quicker through Verizon, but have no idea how they'll treat updates when they actually come out.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

It's entirely on whether you believe Google and Verizon or not. Both Google and Verizon have said Verizon and non-Verizon Pixels will get updates on the same day (similar to how iOS does updates, where carriers do testing and updates are then rolled out to all models on the same day). I have mine via Verizon, I'm not especially concerned about updates, doubly so considering the bootloader has been unlocked already, so.
If you want to be a weirdo, you could theoretically unlock the bootloader of the Verizon Pixel, flash Google's stock image, and turn it into a non-branded Pixel, I think?

I do agree. Right now I'm leaning towards getting it from Verizon just because I can also get $200 off the price by selling my old phone, plus get a pixel immediately rather than waiting a while. I feel like it's a good enough deal. I'm just really hoping that Verizon follows through and pushes updates the same day as Google. It's just something that doesn't really sound like Verizon.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

So I just got my Pixel XL and was wondering how do you guys know when it's fast charging? On my droid turbo it would print put up a little speech bubble at the bottom saying a turbo charger is detected, but nothing on my Pixel XL.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

100% Dundee posted:

When I plug it in via the wall charger included in the box and the included cable, it says "Charging Rapidly". Maybe thats it?

That's strange because I don't see that when I plug my phone into the socket with the charger from the box.

edit: Nevermind, didn't realize it was displaying it on the lock screen. Droid turbo showed in when the phone was unlocked and since I was unlocking through the fingerprint reader, I never saw it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

SystemLogoff posted:

Samsung: Samsung smart switch
Pixel: direct connection
Other phones: Haha good luck. ( Google photos, contacts, SMS backup)

You can still download moto migrate to do all that for you. It works on any phone. It's pretty easy to use and downloads most of the stuff to your phone hassle free

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

nimper posted:

Moto Migrate is not supported on Marshmallow or higher. So pretty much any new phone won't be able to use it.

Oh that's fair. I completely forgot that Motorola stopped supporting higher versions of Android and that's how they killed it off.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

It's definitely the biggest issue that I have with the Pixel (which honestly isn't that bad). Both the vibration motor and the notification LED are pretty weak and while I'm at work I don't like to have my sound notifications go off since it's kind of disturbing. Active display on the motos was the best feature and I really miss it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Tunga posted:

His issue was never that the buttons don't click properly, it was somehow even more spergtacular: they move very slightly in the button holes, like probably half a mm, so you can wobble them a tiny amount. That was it.

Some people in this thread claimed that theirs doesn't do that and maybe they are right. I've seen five or six Pixels now and they all did it so I think it's fairly common. And it doesn't matter in the slightest, of course, because who sits there wobbling their volume button?

The funny thing is is my Pixel XL does wobble a bit, but I love the tactile feel of the buttons. My Ipad Air doesn't do that, but the buttons are kinda mushy and don't really feel as pleasing.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't mind you trolling a bit, but was being sincere :) Big knock on the S8 is the awful fingerprint sensor, which is not something that can be fixed. Otherwise, if you play with it for a minute and are fine with the software, go for it. Maybe it even has Flash for you.

Samsung should add flash into Tizen just to show how much they care about security on their software.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Has anyone had problems with their Pixel being very flaky when it comes to connecting to WiFi, even access points that you've told it to connect to in the past?

I've had some issues with it on my Pixel XL. Mainly on airport wifi fwiw. Specifically it'll connect to the airport wifi, but say no internet available.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I would also say that the announcement that Google hired a SoC architect is a good sign that they will also be designing their own CPU, which means that they will be able to support their phones for much longer than the 2 years they are capable of now. Qualcomm is known for only supporting their CPUs for 2 years or so and then completely dropping support (they want people to buy new phones so they can sell more hardware).

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

LastInLine posted:

If Apple made the current MacBook Pros in Gold or Rose Gold I'd have picked those in a heartbeat over the Space Grey I bought. Hell, I almost got a MacBook at the same price just for the color.

You got that right. A fair chunk of what's wrong with the Android ecosystem as a whole (support windows, timely updates, poorly performing devices) fall on Qualcomm. The problem is that there's no alternative.

It's obvious why Apple went their own way with chip design but that's not a solution anyone else could undertake. It's SO patent-encumbered and SO expensive to start doing that even if there was a company I'd trust to do it, they couldn't. Of course it should be mentioned that Samsung makes Exynos but there's that trust problem again.

My suspicion is that Google is going to try their hand at making a processor. I remember seeing news that they hired a SoC designer from Apple and it would be the next logical step for them. They'd be able to support their phones for longer and probably get better battery life too which is a nice bonus. Qualcomm is definitely frustrating to deal with, but I can't blame them too much for the support windows, they are a hardware company trying to make money, if people can keep their phones for a long time without worrying about getting updates they lose a lot of money, though it's still lovely on their part.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like I might be moving from Fi to Verizon post-paid on my bf's plan. Going to see if I can get a Pixel 2...

Anyone know if the Pixel from Verizon can be used on any carrier or is it just some special snowflake with a locked bootloader?

I was in Europe last month and had no issues using it across 3 different providers (Vodaphone, T-Mobile, and a T-Mobile MVNO). It's an unlocked phone in that it can be used across other providers, but the bootloader is locked.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I'm getting persistent notifications with light flow. Though I assume that's the purpose with light flow since it needs to be perpetually running in the background.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Rickets posted:

People keep referring to this as a thing but can anyone try to explain this superstitious "it get slower over time" thing to me in a way that isn't explained by parasitic apps.

A memory leak would be slow consistently every time the phone has been on "too long" and would likewise be fixed every time the phone is restarted. General slowness due to apps using resources greedily should be cured by a factory reset or software upgrade resulting in some settings refresh/reset.

Increased slowness over time without a direct, repairable explanation? Seems less likely. Are the electrons getting tired? Is the Gremlin in your phone bored and misrouting poo poo because he has gone all passive aggressive?

I can get how a new phone feels faster than an old one due to engineers focussing on UI responsiveness, but in my opinion a phone slows down over time in the same way any computer does and is therefore repairable in the same manner. Wipe, start fresh, watch the user rush to install as many items of malware/spyware as possible.

Car salesman should be using this tactic to sell you a new car. Old car full of garbage and the gas tank is getting low? Just buy a new car!

I think it's because every app you install will try to start up a background process so that if it gets a notification it can be brought to the foreground. The problem with this is it takes up more and more memory to run these background processes and it slows down the ones in the foreground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

So stupid question:

If I buy an unlocked Pixel 2 XL from Google, how do I get it working on Verizon?

They offer a "verizon" version with a SIM card. Do I need to get a new SIM card, or can I just pop my current SIM card in to the new phone and be good to go?

edit: primary reason for buying a Pixel (aside from my old HTC One M8) is so I don't have to wait a year for OS updates to filter through Verizon, and also all the stupid bullshit Verizon apps and bloatware (I still have VZW Navigator installed and I can't delete it lol). So I have great interest in getting the unlocked version.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

None of those things are an issue with a Verizon Pixel, either way you just buy the phone and add your own Verizon sim card if you go that route

Basically what he said. You take the SIM card out of your old phone and plug it in to the new one. Or you take it to a verizon store and get a new sim card to put in your pixel 2.