Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kopijeger posted:

When you are going somewhere as a tourist yourself, find yourself in an area full of tourists and other tourists ask you for directions. What makes them think they are the only non-locals around?

This but in a foreign country where you don't speak the language.

I was in Spain a few years ago and a British lady asked me for directions to some church. I pulled out my TOURIST MAP to assist her. She thanked me for my assistance and complimented me on my English.

I am Australian, with an Australian accent. English is my only language.

In fairness, a Spanish-speaking tourist approached me for directions a few days later. Maybe I just have a 'helpful' look about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

In Southwest England they call you "my lover", which is a bit odd the first time you hear it when paying for petrol.

Yorkshire can be like this. I worked a pub in Leeds many years ago and being called "love" or "darling" by older men who looked like they ran with the Krays was slightly surprising, especially being a man myself.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Stairs posted:

loving recipe reviews.

"Five stars! Great recipe! I changed it a bit by using chicken instead of beef, added four cups of onions, omitted all the pepper and cumin, and turned it into a soup. So yummy!"

"This is a terrible recipe, I would never make it again. Followed the directions except I didn't have any beef so I used canned tuna, and I didn't have an iron skillet so I used a rusty muffin tin, and I didn't have any of the spices so I added a ramen packet. It had no flavor and my husband cried."

You. Didn't. Make. This. Recipe.

https://youtu.be/aMuOvE940KE

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

Where the gently caress are people even buying a "plain cheese pizza"? Do they mean a Margherita?

Tiggum posted:

Nope; you can actually get pizzas with nothing but sauce and cheese on them from some places. God knows why.

Keep in mind that US pizza is usually, like, one topping, maybe two, at most.

Whereas in Australia, you pile that poo poo as high as you can. My sister worked for a place that you'd, no joke, have an inch of toppings, even on a basic Hawaiian.

(La Lupa's in Tyabb, down the Mornington Peninsula, if you're curious. Recommended for a tasty, tasty heart attack.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Everything is Australia sounds like the speaker is inventing names on the fly.

Rubbish, the little town I grew up in of...

*Looks around, sees cow
Moo...
*Sees kangaroo near cow
...roo...
*Flock of ducks fly past
...duc...

...is totally a legit name for a town.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

if you've got your entire loving cart full of poo poo DON'T USE THE loving SELF-CHECK it's not meant for that, there isn't room for that, and i just want to buy a loving quart of milk but now i'm stuck behind your entire family's shopping for the next month this person has tWO FULL CARTS i hope they trip and fall in the parking lot and feel foolish in front of everyone

Ugh, bet they were really, really slow too. I've never seen someone doing this in a swift and organised manner.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm still waiting for MMA, american football, and larping to finally join together and give me my future favourite sport: organized mass combat.

Just give me two teams of 12 wielding larp weapons and armour on a football field kicking the crap out of eachother with the goal of taking the other team's flag or whatever.

Germany and Australia have you covered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah but not THAT small. Now it seems like (based on what I see in the stores anyway) you're extremely lucky to get a half-size bar, where back when I did it only the lame houses gave out half size and it was always a race to get to the full size bar houses before they run out. Now it's pretty much all "fun size" candy for ants. There's nothing "fun" about that size.

https://youtu.be/3iYM-lJXMDw&t=12m42s

I know you now, yeah I eat rear end

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Oct 29, 2019

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Self-checkout machines should tell you they are card-only before you start scanning. Stop making me have to shuffle away and unbag my first item like an idiot, machine. You are the idiot!

This, but in reverse. My local supermarket clearly labels the card only machines with big green signs and there's usually a staff member to point this out if there's a line.

Scan your first item: this is a card only machine, do you want to continue? I can read and my ears work, stop bothering me!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ZakAce posted:

Seriously...Australia...shithead, racist...

There you go!

I also feel, as an Australian, that idiocy is often under played as a national characteristic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

It's okay, it's only temporary.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

bobjr posted:

When you're watching a movie or tv show with a group of people and one person likes to pause to explain things to another person or point out an actor that was in something else.

I feel like the pause bit is the worst part of that.

My wife is watching Call the Midwife at the moment and she'll probably murder me if I keep saying "Twirlywoos" quietly whenever Linda Bassett is on screen.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

Counterpoint: I don't bring my regular glasses to the supermarket, I take off my sunglasses and squint a bit.

Countercounterpoint: I just wait for my transition lenses to go clear. Then remember I don't have transition lenses on my current glasses, these are my actual sunglasses and I left my normal glasses in the car. Thankfully, I'm short sighted, so don't really need to squint.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Hoods are great. Lots of my friends wear hoods.

More like oldunpentientless.

Cos this is a Spanish Catholic thing, right?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Weirdly, it will suggest things that start "you suck at cooking" it just won't suggest that phrase by itself or remember that I've searched it before:

So I can press the down arrow and then delete the word "chili" to get the actual channel name, but it won't offer even that suggestion until I get to the U of "suck".

How often do you listen to the Murmurs to get that to pop up?

I haven't listened to that song in ages. The video clip is painfully early/mid nineties. Missing some b+w street scenes shot at odd angles though, so could be worse.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, it doesn't show on my phone, but my PC YouTube search matches yours more or less.

The video only has 300k views too. A mystery indeed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Last time this happened I cut the engine, switched off my lights and got out. Yelled "loving GOOOO" at the guy and he still wouldn't go. It's un loving real.

This is a wonderful image. I hope you have a thick, incomprehensible Glaswegian accent like you do in my head.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

And yet Launceston is pronounced Lawn-cest-un rather than the shorter (and legit) Lons-tn. Very un-Australian.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

HOLY gently caress posted:

oldpainless! :argh:

A new delightful peeve I have just encountered: I stupidly stacked two of the same bowls in the sink to soak and they suctioned themselves together and I spent way too long trying to pry them apart before getting water on myself :cry:

Speaking of spraying water on oneself, ice cream scoops, like the proper solid aluminium ones, are a cursed monkey's paw wish. The curve that is designed to make perfect balls of ice cream is coincidentally the most efficient way to redirect the water from the tap on to the bench around the sink and also your crotch, no matter how you hold it as you rinse it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

...or a vet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

A knife for poop or knife of poop?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate how even pretty expensive bottles of whisky still have all the stupid marketing blurb all over the box and bottle about the sacred history of the distillery and the purity of the spring water and blah blah blah.

I dunno if it's maybe just to appeal more to the American market, but its just kind of cringey and embarrassing, and reminds me of those awful Jack Daniels adverts about ol' man Jack sittin' on the porch and urgh

There's a boutique whisky distillery attached to a dairy co-op near where I live. When you take the tour, it's explicitly "the co-op board decided to diversify and boutique distilleries seemed to be doing well..."

The whisky is good too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I call myself Rain Man because I'm makin it RAIN

definitely, definitely makin it rain, definitely, I make it rain on Thursdays, definitely Thursdays

Please stop throwing nickels at me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

His eyes are dimensional portals to a dimension of pure force and no I have no idea how that works.

I feel that should mean instead of photon-based sight, he had some kind of echolocation but with punches instead of weird squeaky noises.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Where did all these forks come from?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm only annoyed by it because I can't tell where the bike is or how fast it's going though?

Is the light red or blue?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

Margarine seems to have become "plant based butter" sometime in the last year and it's pissing me off

I don't know where you are, but often there is a technical definition for margarine. In Australia, I believe it has to have a minimum of 80% oil/fat to be called margarine. A lot of "margarines" have less fat than that, so everything is "table spread" now.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

SubNat posted:

Worst of both worlds design. Why have something do 1 thing well, when it instead can do 2 things poorly.

The dishwasher in the apartment I moved into has an unusually low top-drawer.
Enough there's a ton of wasted space in the top one, while the bottom one can't actually fit most of my larger plates, and can't fit my kitchen-mixer bowl without things knocking into the rotating showerhead thing.
It's especially annoying because I'd only need like 2-3cm for everything to fit properly.

The top drawer in our dishwasher is adjustable. No idea if you've looked, but there could a locking mechanism towards the back on each side of the drawer.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Which is frustrating when I'm like, trying to find a song I like and all I can remember is wheemem ooo anana AY

New Sims soundtrack sounding good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

credburn posted:

Musical fruit

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I just shouldn't have to vacuum every time we have rice :negative:

Tell me you have small children without saying you have small children.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

My three year old keeps accidentally-on-purpose waking up my two month old, and it makes me wanna abandon her at an orphanage.

Why drive to an orphanage when there's a bin right there?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Which reminds me of a peeve.

Guest: Are you sure this is cooked? It looks pink.
Me: That happens when you smoke meat. I cooked that for over two hours and used a probe to make sure it was done. It's fine, I promise.
Guest: Are you sure?
Me: Yes. Absolutely.
Guest then eats less than a quarter of the meat on their plate.

Goddamn! I brined it overnight, then smoked it. Do not waste my 16 hours of effort because you are used to overcooked oven charred meat. Next time you get a hotdog.

Oh god, some genius decided to try a takeaway smoked BBQ joint up the road from where I live (in semi-rural Tasmania) and this is exactly why it failed. There's no culture of BBQ or smoking meat like in the US, and everyone I heard complaining about them, complained about the 'uncooked' meat. I think they lasted maybe a month.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bargearse posted:

When you're driving and the sun is just low enough in the sky that your sun visors don't quite shield your eyes from it.

Related: when you're tall and the sun is just low enough that lowering the sun visor blocks the sun, but also your view of the road.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Seriously, it's just been nothing but trouble since it formed from the mess of the Big Bang and I can't wait til it collapses into a brown dwarf or whatever.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I just converted to Digambara Jainism and haven't had to deal with washing machines in years.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

That was a really funny link, Tiggum!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Protagonists sharing the author's initials to emphasize how cool they are, I Am Looking At You JMS

The anti-peeve of this is the fact that the protagonist of J G Ballard's Crash is J G Ballard.

Either the man LIKED his cars or he's comfortable enough with himself to make himself the weirdo car pervert main character in a book about weirdo car perverts.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Everyone always talks about the time warp from rocky horror when the real ones know hot patootie is the actual banger

Hot Patootie is the banger, but the best BIT is Planet Hotdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48DlxpLvC4

Its a great username or band name and its great for singing at small children and adults alike to confuse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I remember the first time I grew my hair long and went to my usual barber to get a trim. He was a middle-aged Italian man who asked if I was "a gay" and I ended up with a Prince Valiant haircut :smith:

Hm, this script for the No Country for Old Men prequel needs some workshopping.