Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think adding some dry brushing to bring out dried mud / semi-dried mud / etc. would make it look less like chocolate.

Don't get me wrong, it looks delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

Nah, it really does look like baked goods. It needs plants and some drybrushing with lighter shades of brown. The drybrushing should vary in strength over the base, so some parts look dried up while other parts still look muddy. I think a big part of the problem is that the rocks are too big relative to the miniatures you'll be using. Even normal sand will look like really coarse gravel next to a mini, so those rocks end up looking absolutely huge. They at least need to be further into the ground, since rocks tend to sink into the earth over time. That and it will definitely help to smooth off the bottoms and edges of the bases and paint the edges a different color.

This is awesome advice that I agree with.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Skarsnik posted:

Almost there

holy poo poo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
God drat that's so awesome. Right now I'm strictly a historical scale model builder, but I want to build WarHam dioramas and non-game-related things, so that's a damned inspiration.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That rusty metal looks good as heck

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also can't you just use a Tupperware with some wet paper towels in it as a wet palette? Works fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I were to get something like this - with the caveat that it's solely to get into painting the minis because the paints + the models seem like a good value (no commenting on if it's a good value within the context of playing the WH40K game)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/sm-Paint-Set-Eng-spa-port-latv-rom-2018

WOULD that be a good value, and would I be able to get more models later and have leftover paint to use? Those pots look smaller than the normal Citadel pots, but I can't tell. Can I just buy some highlight colors later to do some highlighting to go from battle ready to parade ready or whatever?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Silhouette posted:

You can get The Army Painter's Mega Paint Set for $90 shipped on ebay. Comes with 43 regular paints, 2 technical paints and 5 washes plus a brush.

drat that's a great idea, thank you.

Instead of buying the $30 models + paint, I saw a $20 pack of 10 models and thought "oh what a great deal" but then ended up spending $60 on paints after that and then $25 on some new cement and snips and primer

...such a better value :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Silhouette posted:

Bruh, you can get clippers at the dollar tree makeup aisle too, they're sold as cuticle clippers :v:

Nah don't worry the clippers were like $5, I'm not sweating that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's a great job so far but even mediocre IK stuff is so god drat impressive, I love it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Eej posted:

re: Youtube I just sat down and watched a bunch of Marco Frisoni videos and kinda want to just paint with inks and oil now even though I just bought a bunch of acrylics lol

Yeah Marco's paint job on Abaddon is one of the things that made me want to get into Black Legion haha

Absolutely insane

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, watching Miniac's YouTube series on recreating the 'Eavy Metal studio style has taught me so drat much. Highly recommended.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, Impcat is a really loving cool app, but I wish there were more model options out there, even fan man. Like, I came across an AM infantry troop, but no other AM models. I guess it's okay to test general color schemes on that one model to see how an army might look.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Max Wilco posted:

What models are available with Impcat? I thought about getting it, but I wanted to know if it included Chaos Space Marines.

There's a couple, here's the basic chaos marine model. It feels like there's basically one model available from each faction, a few more for space Marines.

Edit-- here's the official repository. I can't imagine this would be filez since it's just images of models. https://mega.nz/#F!T19wwSyT!4SMrkOuvzP-jsuaTpufFlQ

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Xenoletum posted:

Well I finally went for it with one of the Indomitus minis, pretty pleased, even if I was a little too hamfisted with the contrast brush. Need a finer tip on the brush for accuracy, but otherwise, not too terrible for a beginner?

Now to base it.

Yeah, this looks great! Echoing what others said, if you want it to look extra crisp, you could go back over the metallic parts to cover some of the blue bleed (though I think it looks fine) and then do a wash all over with nuln oil. And then to go the extra mile, do a little more metal and blue color to highlight. You don't need any extra paints to get a little more depth (except nuln if you don't have it) It's definitely a job worth being proud of!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Watching YouTubers paint is such a double edged sword. On the one hand, I learn a lot. On the other hand, every single time it's like:

5 minutes in: "oh man that looks really good and really approachable, maybe I'll pick one of those models up and have a go"
40 minutes in and 400 steps I would have never thought of later: "ah well, trash comes on Friday, I'll make sure I bag up all my paintbrushes before then"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Looks really great, but hang on I have to put up some blackout curtains and turn my gamma all the way up just to see those photos

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

Looks great from here (lighting and paint job)

A little dark on both my monitor and phone but the painting job is top notch ! And the lighting adds to the grimdark.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Xpost

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I know, I know, it's just the humble Cadian Infantry. But this is the first mini I've painted in uhhh 15 years? And even back then I wasn't very good. So I'm happy with this :) I definitely have a lot to work on (hello sloppy edge highlights), but I think that will come with buying a better brush. Overall I'm proud to put this on the table. Now just uhhhh a couple hundred more of these guys to go.

Edit-- the base rim is still drying so it looks weird and gloppy. I was just impatient before taking a picture.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Things I learned I hate painting last night, after trying to paint a Stormcast Eternal:

- white base coats
- washes on white
- white highlights
- gold base coasts
- silver-on-gold highlights
- any color highlights on flowing robes

Like, it looks _okay_ from a distance/thumbnail, but I don't understand how people get crisp looking highlights on things like robe folds -- there's no "edge" there, so when I try to paint a highlight color on it, it just looks like I accidentally blobbed some paint there, and then the "shadow" areas with the wash just look muddy.

Sigh, just need to practice more and wash more youtubes I guess.

edit-- also now in the light of day (I was up at 3am painting because I couldn't sleep) I think my blue was way too thick

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 18, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I walked outside this morning, and for the first time in months it wasn't muggy, and quite pleasant

I'm going on a priming spree tonight!

Hell yeah that Dave's Insanity Sauce

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Xpostin

Like I mentioned before, I haven't painted anything in probably a decade, but I bought some paints and some minis and managed to knock out a Stormcast Eternal and a unit of Guardsmen this week. They're not great but I'm having a lot of fun and it's very calming :shobon: (ignore the sergeant, I'm waiting on a better brush to put more detail into him)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
gently caress painting eyeballs forever. After avoiding it my entire life I finally gave it a try and.... It's fine I guess.

Edit-- ignore the hosed up Aquila and most everything else

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat that green pops too

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Considering how many annoying tiny details are on this guy, I'm not mad at how this commissar turned out

edit-- man these things look so much worse zoomed in compared to holding it in my hand

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 24, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MRLOLAST posted:

I like the comissar, just finish the face a bit more and he is perfect. I always find it hard to do colors from the same scale and have it be distinctly different like red and pink and yellow and gold.

"Finished" the face and base and redid the plasma coils. And tweaked a little of the highlighting. Pretty darn happy with this guy all things considered.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
All things considered, this guy was a lot of fun to paint

I don't even play AdMech, I just think they look neat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What would a 40k collection be without at least one boring rear end Ultramarine?

This one was free from my local Warham shop so it was an easy way to spend a lunch break.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

Indomitus Space Marine Attempt #1

Transfers are a huge pain in the rear end, and IDK how I feel about how the colors are layered on the shoulders. Maybe do the frost effect then put the transfer on? Free handing runes isn't that bad, next time I won't have coffee in the morning as my hands were kinda shaky.

Way cleaner looking and less gaudy than the demo one you showed before... Great job!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Taking a break from 40k, x-posting my Viking boi

Speaking of Saga, I just painting up my very first Viking, a hirdman. I call him Torbjörn. For winging a free-handed shield I think it's fine.

First time using flocking. I uhh. Apparently I have no idea what I'm doing. How do I coat it with pva after it dries and still have it looking grassy? Won't it just glop it all down?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Xpost of some more Viking bois

1/5 done with my Viking warband. I'm happier with the grass now, I think I was just overdoing it before.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sab669 posted:

I just recently spilled some Agrax Earthshade all over my desk.

When I was first getting into hobbying I also spilled a nice brand new bottle of Chainmail all over my friends' carpet. Sorry Nacho :(

Last week I was meticulously cleaning up my desk so I wouldn't knock over any pots or my cup full of brushes, and in doing so my elbow hit my wash jar and spilled chocolate-milk-esque paint water all over my carpet

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley, I suppose

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of Citadel paints, how the gently caress are those pots supposed to work?

Does the little tab go under the lid? It keeps the lid open that way, but then there's a weird "gap" when it's closed.

If the little tab stays outside the lid, the lid doesn't stay open well and always closes when i'm trying to dip my brush in

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Crossposting from Historicals. I don't mind the highlight brush strokes, but I really need to remember to thin my paints out wayyyyy more when building up highlights. And match hues a little better on highlight colors. Just mental notes for later.

Paint 15mm minis they said... they'll go quicker they said...

Two and a half hours later I have one cavalry commander on a base. Two more figures to go on this base before I can add grass. 15mm is pretty rewarding though, considering how tiny everything is and how much you have to concentrate. (I know, the 6mm folks are laughing at me)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

LifeLynx posted:

Anyone have good examples of blue - purple - pink gradients? I've been trying to do it with drybrushing, but it's not looking how I want.

Has anyone had any trouble with Scale 75's customer service? I was missing a paint in my order and they're denying it. It took them two of my emails to respond, and the second one they said they'd already responded to the first and - oh yeah - I must have thrown out the missing paint. They didn't send the email, and I didn't throw anything out. Now I've got four other paints I just won't use because I'm not giving them money for more when I run out.

Dana Howl's tutorial looks like just what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VeWI5KRAok

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

LifeLynx posted:

Oh hell yeah. I don't have an airbrush though. :(

She has some other videos about how to glaze and stuff with brushes I think... one of her newer "hobby basics" videos I think?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Full command base done!

The two guards went way quicker considering I could just batch the colors together.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, that's how I got when I was working through my Saga warband.

Warlord? Hell yeah, lots of effort, he looks great.
Hearthguard? Okay there's 8 of these, gonna put in decent effort, they look pretty good.
Warriors? Ah jeez there's 16 of these, gonna batch paint them, ah poo poo this isn't looking great, ah this looks dull. It's fine I guess. You know what, gently caress it, no more effort, I hate this.

And now I'm switching gears to something else and I'm excited again. Take breaks, don't burn out, don't get overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is it possible to paint with metallics without it clumping up your brush? I've just come to accept that when I paint with metallics I'll just end up with a clumpy frayed brush while I'm painting, no matter how much I twist the tip on my palette. Doesn't matter if I thin it out either, all that does is make a bad-looking translucent metallic.