Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

syscall girl posted:

The things that come to mind are hotbot, lycos and yahoo.

Don't forget Webcrawler and AltaVista! :v: And if you were really with it, you used Metacrawler, which searched all of them and returned the "best" results.

According to Wikipedia, Google didn't even exist until after I turned 18. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phyzzle posted:

I just figured out that entomology is not the study of ants, but of insects in general.

Then I figured out that myrmecology is the study of ants, not fungus.

Because it's mycology which is the study of fungus, not the study of looking at small things, which is microscopy.

As opposed to macroscopy, which is looking at your mom.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

amityville anus posted:

Cadence: the tempo or rhythm at which something does

Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.

They have the same roots obviously.

They do, but you actually have to go back a pretty long way to get to it!

"Cadence" directly derives from Latin's cadere, which means "to fall, to sink, to cease". The link seems to be the unstressed portion of speech, writing, activity, etc. falling away from the (stressed) beat.

"Decadence", on the other hand, also ultimately derives from cadere, but through decadere, which is almost as old a word. (In fact, a couple of etymology sources I've checked don't even acknowledge cadere at all, stopping the traceback at decadere.) decadere means "to sink, to fall, to decay", with the connotation that the fall is irrecoverable. In fact, "decay" comes from the same word; "decadence" is more closely related to "decay" than to "cadence".

They look similar in English because they were both participles in Latin: cadens "falling" and decadens "decaying".

Incidentally, "decade" has nothing to do with "decadence". We get "decade" from Greek δέκα which, predictably, means "ten".

:eng101: or :goonsay:, take your pick!

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Oct 3, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i think that is actually what he said though with less bb codes

The point was that two words that "obviously" have the same roots don't always, or don't always take the same etymological route to get to us. That's why I included "decade" - "decade" and "decadence" are "obviously" related except that, of course, they're completely not.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Henchman of Santa posted:

In Detroit/Windsor, there is a radio station called The River (93.9 FM). It's slogan is "Deep. Cool. Current." which does a fair job of describing the music it plays (modern indie rock). I only recently realized that all of those words are also meant to describe a river (although "current" would be a noun in that case and not an adjective).

I really hope they have a news segment called "Current Events".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fo3 posted:

http://www.edenics.net/english-word-origins.aspx?word=DECADENCE

E: My uneducated opinion is you're not going back far enough if just considering latin and not indo-european roots.

Well, sure, but I wasn't looking for cognates, just the most recent common ancestor. :)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kazil posted:

Uh, sneakers is pretty common where do you live?

I'd guess that most of the US could identify "sneakers" as rubber-soled athletic shoes, but apparently the more accepted term outside of the Northeast (and, weirdly, southern Florida) is "tennis shoes".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
"Compound" meaning (roughly) "a group of things gathered together" and "compound" meaning "a protected group of buildings" are apparently not the same word (the latter seems to come from Malay, not Latin).

(This is "found out", not "figured out", it just took me a little by surprise. :))

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's one of those weird goon things. For some reason this forum has a bunch of normal average stuff that a lot of users think is really odd. It's the same as when someone will tell a story about a "weird" family that doesn't wear shoes indoors, or thinking that everyone is circumcised.

Lmao if you don't have Enrique milk the cow directly into your crystal chalice just before Enrique Jr. lifts it to your lips.

Thin Privilege posted:

I just realized the plastic surgeon is called "Imagined As Edges" in Saints Row 4. I've played this game through like 4 times and got tons of plastic surgery and never noticed that it wasn't "Image As Designed" like it was in the other games.

"Imagined As Edges" is also an anagram of "Image As Designed" (and a reference to everyone being imaginary polygon-based shapes :thejoke:).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Non Serviam posted:

LOL if you don't drink Enrique's tears for substinence.

Not with meals, you savage.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Roro posted:

gently caress. I always used the mispronunciation.

A val-LAY parks your car. A VAL-ett is your body man/butler.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Speaking of etymology, it never occurred to me before today to think about the term "biscuit", but all of a sudden when reading a recipe, it clicked. (and yes, I looked it up.) It's from Latin: "bis" + "coctus", "twice cooked".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The upside-down pouches are a nice touch.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did the same happen with GIF and JIF?

"gif" is an Old English word; it's apparently pronounced "yiff".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CerealCrunch posted:

He is right that the unvoiced dental fricative is very rarely found in other languages. Like, only 6 or 7 languages have it at all.

Several dozen, you mean.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EX250 Type R posted:

The problem is that people say "have your cake and eat it too" which doesn't make sense and is stupid when people should be saying "eat your cake and have it too"

Let me guess, you get mad at people who say "head over heels" too.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Last night I discovered that Julie Bowen and Ali Larter aren't the same person. When I first saw Bowen on Boston Legal I thought "oh, it's Niki from Heroes!" and never thought about it again. I only found out my mistake because I was going through Bowen's IMDB page to find out what else she'd been in and was surprised that Heroes wasn't listed.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Whitlam posted:

This is literally a joke on Modern Family.

...are you Sofia Vergara?

Could be Felicity Huffman in "Sports Night", which did the joke fifteen years before "Modern Family". ;)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rollersnake posted:

Max von Sydow, not Donald Pleasence, played Father Merrin in The Exorcist.

The video game Tactics Ogre has an exorcist named "Donnalto Pleasance" who looks like the Father Merrin character, and I don't know if that's a reference based on a misconception or what.

It's a reference to Pleasence's role in John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Star Wars deuteragonist Hands Olo.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyperlynx posted:

Nobody knows what causes anything...

...but this is a good explanation that fits all observed evidence, so it is our current "best fit" for the truth. And that's how Science works.

But, like, nobody really knows, maaan. :okpos:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Fizbin posted:

The US doesn't have fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, but only because they're defined as starting on the solstices and equinoxes- March 20, June 21, September 22, and December 21 this year.

The US doesn't have official fixed dates for the beginning of seasons, period; the common understanding of seasons beginning on the solstices and equinoxes is drawn from astrology. The period between the June solstice and the September equinox is referred to as "summer" in astronomy for convenience, and likewise September-December as "autumn", etc., and as astrology (that is, tacky dollar-store knock-off astronomy) gained popularity in the 60s, so did its seasonal definitions.

Likewise, June 1-August 31 "summer", etc. are meteorological conveniences.

Before the 20th century we'd have been laughed at for saying summer begins in June; the traditional holiday three weeks into June is Midsummer, after all.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyperlynx posted:

But astrology aside, aren't the equinoxes the actual points in our orbit around the sun where the northern and southern hemisphere are getting the same amount of light, and the one is going to get colder and the other warmer? It makes far more sense to me to define the seasons by that. And I'm Australian

Sure, but that's what I mean by an "astronomical convenience"; I'm not sure how much sense it makes in the everyday world to define "summer" as "the part of the year when it starts getting colder and darker". ;)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

pidan posted:

I always thought that screeching sound you hear at night was the voices of bats, but it's actually swifts. I blame the fact that I always saw a lot of bats fluttering about outside my window where I lived when I first heard it.

not

Similarly, I only found out a few weeks ago that the early-morning owl hooting I've been hearing in the nearby woods since I was a kid aren't owl hoots at all, but mourning dove calls.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'December' is absolutely the wrong name for the 12th month of the year, it translates to "10th month". Julius frickin' Caesar decided to gently caress around with the Roman calendar which originally only had 10 months but instead of inventing a new 11th and 12th month he added two extra months at the start of the year which meant that pretty much all of the other month names were wrong. Quintilis (5th month) and Sextilis (6th month) would have become the new 7th and 8th months except Caesar decided to rename them after himself and his buddy Augustus.

And that's why the calendar that most of the world uses today is dumb and wrong and all mixed up.

Today you get to learn about Roman calendars!

The calendar already had 12 months when our boy Julius got to it. The ten-month calendar was the traditional Roman calendar dating back at least to the founding of Rome; it started with March (Mensis Martius) and ended with December (Mensis December); each month alternated 30 and 31 days, with about 50 days of intercalary days at the end of the year (between Saturnalia and the beginning of March). "Intercalary" means what you think it does; they didn't have a month associated with them and were just sort of there. Moreover, the old Roman calendar called for a year of 360 days. This was not particularly clever of them.

When the last of the Tarquins was overthrown and the Roman Republic began, the Romans decided that the Greeks had a pretty good idea with their lunar calendar, so they borrowed it. The Greek calendar had 29.5-day lunar months and so alternated between 29 and 30 days per month; the year was 368 days long and required intercalary days every four years to get things back to where they were supposed to be. The Romans didn't want to get rid of their old calendar entirely, though, so they sort of haphazardly slapped 31-day months into the calendar, added two new months in at the new beginning of the year called Mensis Ianuarius and Mensis Februarius, and had a 23-day intercalary month right after them to keep things nice and adjusted.

This was MORE clever of them than the previous calendar had been, but still not particularly clever. Intercalary days are a pain in the rear end.

Also, those two new months? Added around 500 BCE, more than 400 years before our boy Julius was born.

46 BCE rolled around and Julius noticed that the calendar, although it was more accurate than the old calendar, had still drifted about eighty days off course, with the end of the calendar year happening at the beginning of autumn. So he said, "look, gently caress the Tarquins, gently caress the Greeks, this is stupid, let's fix it." His proposal added the missing 80-odd days to 46 BCE (making it 445 days long), and then standardized the lengths of the months to what we know today: alternating 30 and 31 days, with pairs of 31s at the middle and end of the year, and a 28-day February with an extra leap day every fourth year to keep things on track.

Incidentally, he had nothing to do with renaming the months. That was all the Senate, and in fact happened after he died; Quintilis was renamed Iulius in that month 44 BCE, in honor of our boy's birthday, and Sextilis was renamed Augustus in 8 BCE because according to the Senate, many of the important events of Augustus's reign had occurred in that month.

(Then, 1600 years later, Pope Gregory XIII decided to account for the year being just a sliver shorter than 365.25 days, and we got the modern Gregorian calendar.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually he gave you a cannolo.

did you just assume its pronouns

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
syscall girl can't believe he just figured out that the overwhelming majority of people don't get his inside jokes he shares with exactly one other person.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Huh, I don't think I've ever seen anyone get probated in real time before.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mind the walrus posted:

It all has nothing on "flammable" and "inflammable"

What a country!

Fun fact: "inflammable" came first.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sunswipe posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that your vehicle should only be referred to as a "whatever mobile" if your name is "Whateverman." "Quickly, Golfman! To the Golf Mobile!"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ArtIsResistance posted:

I don't care if this thread is a safe space you're an idiot

It's true, your honor. This man has no dick.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ArtIsResistance posted:

You have a Steven Universe avatar. If you still have a dick hopefully chemical castration is in your future if you gnome sayin

Thank you for the nice thought! It's really heartwarming to see so many pro-trans posters on SA these days. :glomp:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

At a certain point goons blinding hatred towards kids TV shows is more disturbing than goons that watch and enjoy kids TV shows and that point is pretty much immediately

CS Lewis posted:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

eating only apples posted:

This was the guy whose heroine didn't get to heaven like his other protagonists, because:

Because she became interested in fashion and sex, she doesn't get to go. I like CS Lewis's works as much as the next person, but I don't think he's the right person to speak about young women. I do find it strange for him to be such a proponent of childish things being good and fine for adults, when he wrote that because a girl grew up a little, she can't possibly go to his version of heaven. Young things want grow, indeed.

I think that's internally consistent; Susan didn't just grow up, she was preoccupied with Being A Grown-Up. That said, this and Edgar's point about Tolkien are well-taken but Lewis's quote is the one that always comes to mind. :)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Wait not liking Stephen Universe makes me anti-trans? Gonna need to see the math on that one.

Nothing to do with Steven Universe, he was wishing me good luck in my future GRS plans! :v:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Do you want meat, chicken, or fish?

e: Nooo, snipe

Actually, I have content: both me and my mom this morning figured out that "roosters" are called that because they roost. (Even though hens are really the ones who roost!) It was a :doh: moment for both of us - Mom especially, since she's a birdwatcher.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's why I only eat emotionally detached cows.

cownnui adds so much flavor, good choice.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

JoelJoel posted:

Also - and this one might not be true- I was taught that we use green and blue because they are not colours that appear in human pigment. Just don't wear the green and blue shirt the day you're going live.

That may be true of blue; I'm not sure offhand. Green is used these days because most modern cameras use a Bayer filter, which has twice as many green elements as either red or blue (mimicking human vision; our eyes typically have more green receptors). The additional receptors mean there's less noise on the green channel, so you can get smoother edges where the screen "meets" the foreground elements.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

poly and open-minded posted:

you can also use onions

You have to cut them just right to make sure they fit inside the egg ring, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why does it matter if it's a rectangle or not? It's in the loving closet when it's folded away and I don't think they use fitted sheets in any army.

Need to fold your fitted sheets in a hurry? Dump them on the floor and sleep on the sheets on the floor like an animal