Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm nearly done with my replay that was SUPPOSED to be everyone possible alive, but I got to Henselt, heard the squeaky hinge line, and couldn't help myself, because gently caress that guy. If that's fine, I could upload it later today when I get around to doing the last quest or two.

Would you be so kind to make another save if you kill Letho with henselt dead in roche path? Pretty pleaseee?? It is just a quick fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
drat, Thaler being in the trailer made me really concerned about the status of the witcher 1 saves in the file I grabbed from Infinity Gaia. I hope he is still alive in your play through mate!!

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
What directory should I move my witcher 2 save files too? I am a bit lost

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Do you have W2 installed?

No.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I think I stumbled into a major bug. I am unable to change signs. I tried quitting and restarting the game and still my sign is stuck at Axi. Whenever I choose something else it just reverts to axi.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
"I'm a Witcher, not a gigolo." - Geralt of Rivia 2015 .

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

What real-world accent matches that of the Nilfgaardians?

The first Reich.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Is the quest XP still bugged? Am holding on continuing playing because of that.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

at what point or location can I get an armor that doesn't look like a picnic blanket or a checkered clown vest

You have to role with the fashion bro.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Cat Armour is the best looking armor in game.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Any news on the XP bug?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

That's why I wish there was something more to it. All I know is that the children it says it's going to save ends up at the school in Novigrad, with a letter explaining that they "Just showed up there out of nowhere one day." The fact that it kept it's word makes me think it might not be entirely malignant.

The peasants definitely know, or at least suspect, what happens to the kids they send off, which is why they are so defensive about it if you confront them about it. Also, the spirit isn't actually lying about saving the children, so I'm not so sure, but it's not something you'll learn unless you look around a bit.

They get teleported to a school in Novigrad. Also lol at the goons having sympathy for cultist peasants worshiping borderline demonic entities.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This gets compared to Dragon Age a lot so my comparison is that while this game has a better written story I still like Dragon Ages setting better. Also the normal people are written atrociously. Honestly if I lived in that world as Geralt I would see no reason to save it.

Sigi Dikjstra alone has more personality than the entire cast of dragon age combined. I would love to shake the hand of the person who wrote the dialogs.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Only a complete bore would choose Olgried over O'Dimm. My only complain was that there was too much Olgried, not enough Gaunter.

EDIT: Obvious ending spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Sdm3E5cpI Much more cooler. For those whom chose the other ending.

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 17, 2015

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

CVagts posted:

Regarding the major decision at the end of the DLC:

Did anyone side with Gaunter over Olgeird for a reason besides "Gaunter gives you a cool thing"? Olgeird is hardly a saint, but I really can't see any reason to side with the loving Devil.

For me O'dimm is simply much more likable. Hes a chill dude, as long as you keep your end of the bargain. He never breaks his word and never cheats.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

BBJoey posted:

he took all of his emotions, positive and negative, which is why he turned into an insane thrill-seeker with no moral compass or sense of empathy. he wished "to live every day like it was his last" and O'Dimm managed to twist this into "your heart eventually turns to stone lol". I didn't really understand that bit of wordplay, maybe it made more sense in the original Polish.

Olgried wished he lived each day like it was his last and that is exactly what Gaunter gave him. By turning his heart to stone and removing all emoticons, Olgried was forced to seek extreme activity, thrill seeking hobbies that usually one would do if they knew they were going to die at a certain date.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

homullus posted:

I am glad. I like him well enough, but after Witcher 3, they really had to make the Witcher series about more than just "Geralt does cool things and saves the world AGAIN."

Geralt never really "saves the world" in any of the games. He certainly doesn't do it in 2 or 3 and in 1 it is up to debate if putting down an order rebellion in one kingdom counts as saving the world.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
People keep speaking as if the Bloody B quest is the only good one in the game. I would say the Hearts of Stone quests beat the bloody baron quest in terms of storytelling. A tower full of mice, the clan quests in Skellige and Carnal sins are all other amazing quests.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

When do you do the expansions stuff? When ever you complete the main quest, or when you have the levels to survive it?

Oh god you are in for a treat. The hearts of stone quest line is alot better than the main questline and Gaunter O'D'mm (AKA Master Mirror) is one of the most magnificent bastards in history of gaming.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I can't stop thinking about how Gaunter O'dimm is so magnificent. I don't think there has been a character like him in the history of gaming, ever.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Lilbeefer posted:

Witcher 4 should be a Gaunter O'Dimm simulator

I second this!

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

fickle poofterist posted:

Second run through, just finished being asked the witcher 2 backstory questions and I thought I should probably have a decent idea of what has happened and answer the questions properly this time.

Nope still didnt really know what any of them meant, hopefully I didnt kill a character I like or something. :v:

I did find out that Roche is a bigot or racist of some sort, which has changed my perception a bit. I still know I will side with him in the major late game decision this time. Because I felt horrible throwing him and the cobbler under the bus.

I actually liked Dijkstra as a character. I felt he was fairly pragmatic and mostly honest, if a bit of a wanker.

This game

Edit: Speaking of Gwent, I need to get the bloody baron card this time. Also where do I find the nilfgaard leader card that lets you you pick up a card from the your oppone ts' used deck

This will tell you all what you need to know about Roche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBGFiyq75w

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The most important choice is carried over: the sweet blue stripes neck tat.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No other character in the game gets or can get a punishment so linked to sexuality and genitalia. When it happens to the one gay villain you have some weird subtext.

There is no subtext. What was done is entirely in character for Roche, who is an ultra nationalist, torturer, son of whore (literally and figurative). Also stop trying to make the drat game appeal to your sensibilities.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Well, color me surprised. Had to get properly dressed for the soirée and decided to try if the quest accepts that red Ornate Robe I got from the Von Everec estate. Not only did it accept it, but Anna Henrietta also had some unique dialogue just for wearing that outfit. Well done, CDPR.

Really? What does she say?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

Just started Hearts of Stone, random question: (late vanilla spoiler, mid DLC spoiler): Just met that lady at the auction that banged Vesemir, had to tell her that he died. Does that conversation go differently if I hadn't done the Battle of Kaer Morhen yet? Is it even possible to be leveled up enough to be at the auction without going that far in the vanilla game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMBEGz4afg

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Thaler, Roche and Co hosed the north for one realm questionable sovereignty, as Dikjstra said. Dijkstra may not be perfect but at least he's not in bed with Nilfgaard, trying to sell the rest of the north down the river like lickspittle Roche. In my opinion I can't see a hope in hell for Temeria in that future being free. Once Nilfs have pacified Redania they'll likely finish the job on turncoat Roche and Temeria.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

They also mention thralls at leas on one occasion IIRC, and thralls were Germanic slaves.

But what is the difference between a North ruled by hegemonous Redania, or heg. Nilfgaard. Either way the only difference is which noble houses are willing to pledge fealty to the particular king / emperor. Roche and Thaler may have hosed over the North, but North in this case is just a couple of aristocrats. Neither side seeks freedom for the people of the lands they conquer. Nilfgaard in this case is at fault for bringing war to the North, which is undeniable, not for uprooting some sort of superior Northern customs.

TW2 and Sapkowski's work consistently portrayed Nilfs as a harsh, totalistic foreign aggressor. The game conveniently neglected to truly emphasize the drawbacks and cruel idiosyncrasies of authoritarian Nilfgaardian rule, e.g. slavery and severe corporal punishment. It's down to the point where Nilfgaardians seem like implacable but ultimately righteous bringers of civilization and order... Or perhaps Radovid's draconian rule over Redania has the effect of making them look better in comparison.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Joachim von Gratz is a serious Bro, I wish he got more screentime.

Joachim is amazing in a game filled with amazing characters but Joachim stands out.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, and we only know about the North and Nilfgaard really. While its unlikely they are just pumping witchers out willy nilly elsewhere, its perfectly possible a school or 2 are still running. Those school suffer from all of the same things the other ones are/were in terms of witchers not being as needed anymore. If anything their knowledge of monster behavior and methods to kill them is far more valuable than their combat skill.

You could suit up some soldiers in armor, give them silver bladed spears, and they could handle nearly anything a witcher does, and bring along mages if its something real bad.

Nilfgaard bans Witchers from entering cities.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

On my "Bad Decision Geralt" playthrough I was planning to side with Djikstra, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Putting that decision after Roche & Ves already helped you out at Kaer Morhen makes it really hard to justify walking away as they get slaughtered. I was also planning to get the Empress Ciri ending, so it didn't make a lot of sense to back the guy planning to continue the war against the Empire.

Siding with Dijikstra is a good decision. Think of it this way. Depending on the dialogue choices the player makes, Thaler and Roche reveal that they are making a pact/alliance with Group Army Center Camp negotiators, which means a a pact/alliance by Temeria with Nilfgaard and contains an agreement to become a vassal state for Nilfgaard. It contains another set of agreements, the surrender of the sovereign of Lyria and Aedirn. If you look at the map, that's everything south of the Pontar and everything north of the Yaruga. According to the epilogue/monologue by Dandelion, this allows Emhyr to shift his forces to fully conquer and subdue Aedirn and Lyria, after killing Radovid and conquering Redania and Kaedwen. In short, the guerilla war continues on tragically on the remaining resistance of the Northern Realms but with the aid of Temeria to Nilfgaard. It's a complete betrayal.

Geralt bears as witness to this betrayal. Sifting its details.

Some would say why would Geralt choose Dijkstra over Roche, Ves and Thaler? For a very simple reason: Geralt's true friends would be fighting for the Northern Realms and would risk their lives for the northern realms. Yarpen, The remaining Witchers (Nilfgaard bans witchers from entering cities), Neneke and her temple, the late Vesemir (he reveals his side in White Orchard and probably has knowledge about the situation of witchers in the south), Triss, Dandelion, Shani, and friends from Skellige would continue the fight or support against Nilfgaard. Heck, even Yennefer prefers to stay in the north. Second, Roche, Ves, and Thaler are working on their own, because other resistances are actively engaging in some underground or guerilla warfare against Nilfgaard (For example, White Orchard's merchant/sniper). Roche and Ves actually kills Geralt, depending on choices in TW2. In addition, if Geralt sides with Iorveth, Roche personally request Natalis for termination of Geralt.
All the efforts, hardships of the Northern Realms from the books and up to TW3 would be dismantled because of a fickle character named Roche and Co and a reckless and definitely not neutral prompt or action by Geralt.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Everyone should just delete their twitter accounts. This mass hysteria over a 140+ max characters is insane, and I am not just talking about the CDPR shitposting. People are taking it way to seriously, like if it is a matter of literal life and death, with mobs calling for collective punishment and other vile attacks over anything that they consider slightly provocative.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Meve is loving awesome. Decisions in Throne breaker have loving weight. My army got hosed from within by a saboteur because I took a compassionate choice.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Thronebreaker does Nilfgaard justice and shows why siding with Roche and co is really the worst option for the north.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a separate thread for Thronebreaker or is it just this thread and the Gwent thread?

This thread and the Gwent thread. I completed the game and Meve is such a great character and the other supporting characters are great too in a typical Witcher fashion.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Someone didn't play Witcher 2.

Rad is a loving monster. He's the actual worst human being in the game. Whoreson comes close, but Whoreson also doesn't commit genocide.

Emhyr is the worst human in the game and Thronebreaker: Witcher tales sets this in stone.... It shows all the horrible atrocities and scorched earth tactics the nilfs use in full...

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pay your taxes, levy troops when the Empire knocks, and don't start poo poo you aren't ready to back up by force because we will end you.
Kind of like a real Empire rather than a monolithic entity they're usually depicted as in Fantasy.

Nilfgaard practices population transfers and targeted genocides. They would wipe out populations of certain cities and towns and replace them with their own citizens. They also practice slavery. Also Witchers are banned from entering nilf cities.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9pbe-1Kd0

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The Netflix series has nothing that made the Witcher stand out from your run-of-the-mill fantasy games dominating the market, which is its east European aesthetics. The music, armor design and general feel of the Netflix series feels like your average American fantasy. I am baffled at people who want to mix the two together, the aesthetics of the series don't really fit with the aesthetics of the games. It is fine and good to keep both separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Servetus posted:

Nilfgaard is massively whitewashed in the 3rd game. In the books it was much more explicit about Nilfgaard's policies of enslavement and relocation of Nordlings, and later flat out extermination, to make way for Nilfgaardians settlers or to deny population to areas they had to withdraw from.

Thronebreaker fixes this though, by displaying Nilfgaard in all its barbarity. Thronebreaker had a great story and plot.