Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Maybe the guy in the flashback was the pre-reset universe's version of Josefumi, they do have similar hairstyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CJ posted:

How old was Diavolo meant to be anyway? I never really thought about it but i assumed early 20s, however thinknig aobut it Trish is his daughter so that can't be right. So i guess 30s? But Doppio looks like a 14 year old so who knows.

Doppio is the same as Diavolo but his half of the split personality doesn't age, so he's supposed to look about 15 to 17 years old.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 28, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The best part is how one of Dio's son's backstories is literally just "He's Stanley Yelnats from Holes." And IIRC, this was written BEFORE the Shia LaBeouf movie, so Araki was just casually reading some American young-adult literature and decided to lift a plot element from it.

So, what you're saying is, Annasui should be saying "where the gently caress is Shrek!?"

Eh, you get used to it. It doesn't bother me as much with Dio, since we see Diego in the new style, and he's presumably physically identical to real Dio.

But there are some new-style drawings of old characters that I'm really not a fan of, and I just wish Araki would refrain from drawing now that he's evolved past his 80s brick-shithouse style:

What happened to Star Platinum's gains?

If anyone really should be drawn inhumanly huge like they came straight out of a Tom of Finland sketch, it should be Pillar Men.

Jonathan's fine, but here he kind of reminds me of that skinny kid who wears ill-fitting suits and reviews fast food..

It's like looking at one of those 80s vs. today pictures where the pro wrestler isn't on as many steroids

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Patware posted:

that made me do some searching and now i know that araki drew naruto once and that's gonna take a while to process

Oh my god

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darko posted:

David is adding just enough character development to this part (this flashback is great and building it as gang vs. gang, which didn't really exist in the manga) that I'm entirely sure no one will really be complaining about Diavolo by the end.

We're at the point where I'm genuinely looking forward to Doppio using random objects as phones more than anything else that happens in part 5. They just seem to adapt everything so well it's insane.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Momomo posted:

Hey it killed Doppio for them. And also Narancia sort of. Look, it tried ok.

He means well, Silver Chariot is a Good Boy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't this Diavolo? It's certainly not wrong if it was :v:

No, he was the one that found the arrows and sold them to Enya. I imagine there's a timeline where Diavolo sold the arrows to the Speedwagon Foundation, they probably would have paid more for them.

It makes me wonder though why a privacy-obsessed guy like Diavolo would even join an archeological expedition. Did he send Doppio to do it?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 27, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm guessing something like Infamous Large.

Edit: Talking Head and Rolling Stone don't have copyright-friendly names yet either. Talkative Face and Moving Rock, maybe?

If they are any kind of clever Rolling Stone will be named Mobile Boulder

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It also works because I can easily believe that Okuyasu is the kind of guy to name his stand after what it does rather than any formal reference

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I wonder if lighting Kira on fire would make Sheer Heart Attack explode around him before he could unsummon it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I hope David Pro includes more infinite death scenes now that they've proven they have the ability to add new scenes but not gently caress them up. Also more Doppio, I need more Phone Boy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Confirmed sex-haver Johnny Joestar

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He peaked in high school, really

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Not surprising that they would change how King Crimson works, it's power has been different in every adaptation it's appeared in. I personally like how it looks in one of the cutscenes in Eyes of Heaven where the world blinks red and things teleport around instantly. Hopefully the full depiction in the anime is cool so we can get another one of those "Outside [blank]'s World" videos.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This might be the only panel in the entire story where King Crimson doesn't look like he's about to rage quit life

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Turning people into aliens could be a way of protecting the arrow if you consider that aliens (Mikitaka, probably) can't be pierced by stand arrows/don't have stands and thus anyone transformed by SCR would be unable to make use of it.

The reflection of the soul doesn't make any sense, though. Wasn't SCR supposed to be a physical, non-phantasmagoric being?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 17, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He looks like Hunter S. Thompson

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Having reread the King Crimson vs. Metallica arc earlier today I can only say goddamn, it's going to be a delight watching that in the anime in a few months. The anime has already had new scenes with Risotto and Diavolo, maybe we'll be lucky and get more stuff with Doppio.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I've heard people use Ruler Red before, that one's pretty good

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Funky Valentine posted:

Also does Diavolo have his done up like Doppio's right now?

Halfway there, his body type is different but you can faintly see that he has his hair tied back.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fat and Useless posted:

He's so jazzed!

I like the theory that Epitaph represents Doppio/is Doppio's Stand. He's so happy to be doing crime :3:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

And then Doppio walks in carrying a cake. Happy birthday, Bruno!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo Doppio!

But did he call them on an actual phone, or on a "phone"

I don't think I can make this emote any better, if someone wants to buy it they might need to clean up the edges.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 1, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Diavolo's goals in life can be boiled down to:

1. Remove everything that could provide even the smallest hint as to who he is or where he came from
2. Make himself feel good about how much power and influence he has over everything around him
3. Protect Doppio (but not at the expense of his own life)

The problem is that we never see the alternative that would solve all of his problems but wouldn't be 100% ideal enough to make him consider it. Dio in part 3 could have confronted Jotaro and friends at any point after they left Japan and would've easily been able to kill them at the time and place of his choosing. He won't, though, because he's grown too comfortable on his throne to put himself in immediate danger. Kira could have left Morioh after his identity was discovered, but doing so would mean surrendering his ideal of a quiet life in favor of a world that he can't mold to his complete satisfaction.

We don't spend enough time with Diavolo to understand why he has to remain in control of Passione instead of moving to farm in Sardinia where he can disguise himself as Doppio and spend all day telling cows how superior to them he is.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 2, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What's up with Polpo being a literal giant?

He's an alien, of course

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

painted into a coroner posted:

and one of my friends sincerely believes that The Boss is DIO

Unfortunately DIO can only access Doppio's half of the body and won't be buff again until he can drink Trish's blood

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I have no idea how the Bohemian Rhapsody fight is gonna work with things being changed for copyright but DP hasn't let me down so far

Unless they just use non-copyrighted characters, but that's no fun

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 5, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Giorno was too busy enjoying Disney World to care about Gravity

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

N.O.T.O.R.I.O.U.S. Big

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

N.O.T.O.R.I.O.U.S. Big

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RubberLuffy posted:

PV image for next episode

oh lawd he comin'

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dio's theme song was the only good thing to come out of the Phantom Blood movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztTCT2PLC0

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Funky Valentine posted:

Some things should never be remembered, like a Phantom Blood movie without Speedwagon.

The film has a lot of baffling changes, although Dio turning something into a castle through vampire magic is hilarious and should have been in the source material.

quote:

• Dio's inner monologues are not depicted. His motives for bullying Jonathan are never explained.
  • The boxing match, rugby game and Jonathan's first encounter with Erina are omitted.
  • Two extra scenes are added: one where Dio steps on Jonathan's necklace from Erina and another where Jonathan hurts himself on a needle Dio places in his bed.
  • The concept of the Ripple is not explained clearly. The Ripple's dexterity is also never demonstrated, it is treated as a "fighting energy" used to power up Jonathan's punches.
  • Robert E. O. Speedwagon is presented as a minor villain; he is defeated at Ogre Street and is never mentioned again.
  • Jonathan's fight with Jack the Ripper is omitted.
  • Dio uses his vampiric power to transform his hideout in Windknight's Lot into a giant castle.
  • Dio does not meet the protagonists in the graveyard; the Dark Knights, Bruford and Tarkus are already waiting for them and are taken out quickly by Jonathan's Ripple Overdrive.
  • The scene where Bruford names gives his sword to Jonathan and names it LUCK & PLUCK is omitted.
  • Tonpetty appears by himself. The characters Poco, Dire and Straizo are not featured.
  • Tonpetty's flashback with Zeppeli takes place on a cliff as opposed to a tightrope over the Tibetan temple. Tonpetty reading Zeppeli's future also causes a shockwave that blows away the surrounding clouds.
  • The scene where Zeppeli, Jonathan and Dio clash under the moon takes place after Jonathan defeats the Dark Knights and in proximity of Dio's castle. Dialogue between Dio and Zeppeli, including the famous "bread" line, is omitted.
  • Dio counters Zeppeli's Ripple with his freezing technique and Jonathan intervenes in a scene similar to the manga. Zeppeli is killed in this encounter, however, in a manner not unlike Dire's death. The specifics behind the freezing technique and why it counters Ripple are not explained.
  • Zeppeli's hair does not turn white when he passes his life energy to Jonathan.
  • During their fight, Dio fires off multiple Space Ripper Stingy Eyes at Jonathan with poor accuracy. Dio's explanation on how the technique works is omitted.
  • Jonathan does not light his gloves on fire to counter Dio's freezing technique. He instead overcomes it by "powering up" during their clash.
  • The ship Jonathan and Erina board sails through the Pacific Ocean instead of the Atlantic Ocean. This is an error as Erina is still rescued near the Canary Islands.
  • The baby Elizabeth is omitted from the movie. In the manga, Erina chooses to die with Jonathan but is persuaded after he asks her to save the baby. In the movie, she enters the coffin without Jonathan saying anything.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Unless they really drag things out next week's episode should have a scene near the end where the Boss finally Deploys the Doppio

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Having read the King Crimson vs. Metallica fight again in preparation for it being in the anime in a few weeks there's something in it that I didn't notice the last time I read it: Doppio is the only person (that I can remember) in this part that throws non-stand punches when fighting and doesn't use his stand to punch separately from himself. Diavolo uses King Crimson to donut everyone but Doppio just puts its arms over his own so he can punch harder. Doppio is clearly the best pure striker in Passione.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

multijoe posted:

So this week we've got to see Doppio mirk the fortune teller, right?

Going by the number of chapters left they would pretty much have to. It wouldn't surprise me if the second half of this week's episode is the beginning of Doppio's adventure on Sardinia as well.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's going to be a good boy in the next episode
rulululululululu

I'm completely fine with the conclusion of last week's fight taking up most of this episode if it means that Doppio gets an entire episode to himself. Given how long it lasted in the manga the King Crimson vs. Metallica fight will almost certainly get two episodes :allears:

I wonder if DavidPro will include more backstory for Diavolo/Doppio, they've done pretty well with the new scenes they've included so far. It isn't necessary but it would also be cool if the first time Doppio uses a phone it's shown from his point of view before cutting back and showing him talking into a toy or frog.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 5, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arist posted:

Like, even if the Doppio stuff to the defeat of Green Day and Oasis was somehow stretched out to six episodes

That doesn't sound like a bad thing

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 6, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It was brought up in the anime thread that it's strange that when presented with a non-stand user accidentally discovering something about his identity/past the Boss chooses to throw everything including himself into a canal rather than kill the person that found him. It's gonna be fun next week to see how people react to Doppio being presented with a similar problem :v:

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Countdown to people claiming that this is just Araki forgetting his original plan and the time travel theory is still valid