Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I don't usually preorder games, but for 23% off on the day it's announced...sure GMG I'll bite. I know I'm going to be playing this no matter how good/bad it is anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure Todd Howard said in the aftershow that skills were taken out for the preview to avoid spoiling them. Can't really be assed to actually look back through and find it though.

Pretty excited about most of the stuff that was shown, but the ingame UI looked awful and the pipboy UI looked like a reskinned version of the awful UI from 3/NV.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Couple bits of new footage. New news is Xbox One will be able to use mods from PC.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It didn't really look like different ammo was in. All the ammo counters and stuff looked like they only supported one ammo per weapon. Didn't see anything that really indicated that it's a possibility.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Reminder: The Fallout 3 main quest had 14 total steps, 3 of which were the prologue. There were 17 sidequests, and 22 unmarked quests. With the DLC there are 33 total marked and unmarked quests for a grand total of 86 quests total.
In New Vegas the main quest had anywhere from 9 to 14 steps depending on which of the four paths you followed for a total of 30 steps. There were 81 sidequests, and 81 unmarked quests. With the DLC there are 62 total marked and unmarked quests for a grand total of 254 quests. Obviously there are mutually exclusive quests and quests that are just other quests but slightly different, but even taking that into account there is a clear difference in content. Fallout 3 has little to no actual content, people who say that it has a great world to explore only mean the quirky little setups that are placed everywhere because there is nothing to actually do.

Fallout 3 also had 12 pistols, 15 rifles, 5 shotguns, 2 SMGs, 17 heavy weapons, 14 energy pistols, 10 energy rifles, 10 explosives, 44 melee weapons, and 8 unarmed weapons for a total of 137 weapons of which a large amount are "unique" weapons which look the same but have different stats.
New Vegas had 18 pistols, 25 rifles, 9 shotguns, 8 SMGs, 5 heavy guns, 13 energy pistols, 15 energy rifles, 12 energy heavy weapons, 40 explosive weapons, 60 melee weapons, and 33 unarmed weapons for a total of 238 weapons almost all of which have if not unique models then at least unique textures.

Not saying that I think Fallout 4 is going to go back to Fallout 3 levels of sparseness, Skyrim is a pretty good indication that they know how to pack games full of content. Just a reminder that Fallout 3 was not a very big game at all and that there are reasons why New Vegas is considered so good in comparison by a lot of people and that there are reasons that Bethesda should be taking lessons from New Vegas instead of doing Fallout 3X2.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Am I missing something in regards to radiation management? It's so easy to gain and the only ways I've found to deal with it are pretty rare so far, it honestly feels like it's supposed to go down over time or something instead of leaving me at half health unless I use one of my incredibly rare rad-aways(or get one of the radiation perks I suppose).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
With how ridiculous adhesive costs are I'm starting to think all weapon/armor mods are just strapping something to the weapon/armor and then wrapping an entire roll of duct tape around it. And then another one to be safe. Maybe keep a spare roll inside the gun as a backup.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

When my Dawgmeat disappeared on me, he was hanging out at the Red Rocket gas station you first meet him at, not Sanctuary.

e; ^ Oh poo poo yes. Thank you for this information goon sir!

He showed up for me when I put down a dog house. Also settlement stuff breaks the game in half, I've made Sanctuary a water/glue production factory that gives me hundreds of purified water a day and has made adhesive not an issue for me. Rank 1 of science unlocks a industrial water purifier that is absolutely insane.

Edit:
Also this submachine gun is insane, if an ammo guzzler

Zeron fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 12, 2015

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
On the cooking station you can create Vegetable Starch, which breaks down into 5 adhesive. It requires Mutfruit, Corn, Tato, and Purified Water which you can all produce at your settlement.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If you have more water production than settlers you will get deposits of purified water into the workbench of the settlement. The scavenging station provides minuscule amounts of random junk into your workbench every now and again.

You can leave your power armor anywhere, it can get stolen if you leave a power core in it and anyone is nearby when you are though.

Edit: VV If you assign a settler to any plant it will automatically cue up for 6 food production total (12 0.5 food plants or 6 Mutfruit plans).

Zeron fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

poo poo, I don't own any free stations and I can't make them yet (there's the one in diamond city but I dunno if that's safe since I don't own it)

wonder what would happen if I made a free floating platform in a settlement that you had to jump to and placed the armor on it? I guess I do still have spare suits of power armor anyway...

If you take out the fusion core no one can steal them no matter what.

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: I shot him and he just ran off and stood in a corner until I took him out. Yeah that's what I was missing though.

So, is there a better way to scrap my junk than just throwing it on the ground and going into build mode? I figured one of these tables would have some sort of option for it but I'm not seeing anything.

If you transfer it to a workstation it will stay in that inventory and will be automatically be broken down to give you the components you need. So far it seems that while the item disappears one one component from it is used, the rest of the components that make it up will appear later and it's just a visual bug.

Omi no Kami posted:

So I just started and leveled up to 2, and if I'm reading the stat screen correctly, it looks like Skills are no longer a thing? I used my fallout 3 starting SPECIAL with high int purely for the skill points, is it worth backtracking 20 minutes to put those 5 points toward perks I want instead?

INT increases exp gain, and unlike other games there is no level cap so that is actually really useful. INT also has a lot of really good perks, Science is required for alot of the better settlement/crafting options, Medic makes stimpacks amazing and they are really common, you need Gun Nut for most weapon mods, Scrapper is good for materials, and Nuclear Physicist is great if you use power armor alot. I would cap it at 6 but it's definitely not a dump stat(that's charisma).

Don't bother getting charisma for the settlement perks, supply chains are semi-useful if you build up a lot of settlements but they don't really save anything but a bit of time. The shops you can setup are full fledged shops which is really useful for buying ammo and the like, but not really worth the investment.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How no level cap is no level cap? Like, if I'm feeling lazy can I keep my int high and gradually raise all my special to 10, or will I have likely gotten to the end of the game before that becomes feasible?

From what I've heard it's pretty limited by quest exp, and there's essentially a soft cap(depending on your int) of around 50-80 before you start having to grind out by killing stuff.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah people say that reloading fixed it but it did not for me, also on ultra. Clearly an LOD bug if you try to walk or look or do anything near it so it's weird that people think it's acceptable to use in graphics comparison.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

afkmacro posted:

So it's probably been mentioned but I missed it so has anyone fought and won against the swan monster?

Yeah I took him out at level 18, he's pretty easy to kite around.

I did however find a robotics building where I entered, saw a Sentry Bot and Assaultron among a bunch of Protectrons and just turned around and walk out. Assaultrons are really difficult in close quarters.

I feel like a lot of my difficulty with this game is that armor doesn't seem to ramp up much, I keep finding new and better ways to kill things but my survivability doesn't go up and the enemies precisely thrown molotovs still kill me in one hit.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I was just thinking about how I couldn't stand to put scopes on weapons because without variable zoom it ruined actually firing them almost all the time, and then I remembered that that was actually a mod in New Vegas and not part of the main game. I really can't wait for the actual modding tools to come out, there's so much quality of life stuff I miss.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If I remember correctly it was decided it was a UI bug, it would not show the item as being there or the materials but the extra materials would be there when you went to craft and eventually they would show up on their own.

This game really does not like my nice guy playthrough, it just keeps spawning people who I should be able to talk to as hostile and ruining questlines for me.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

AgentJR posted:

I use the automatic Combat Rifle because semi-auto has a really awful recoil animation. It's like a not lovely submachine gun

Suppressors are the best anti-recoil mod in the game, once your gun nut gets high enough/you cannibalize one from a compatible gun the recoil is a lot more manageable on the semi-auto combat rifle. I've mostly switched over to a gauss rifle around level 43, but I still use my two-shot combat rifle on everything that isn't around/over my level.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So does power armour lower your VATS points or something? I used to be able to get off about 4-5 sniper shots with a full amount of action points, but in my x-01 power armour a single sniper shot takes all my AP. Is something wrong or is power armour just really bad?

Based on the wording of some of the armor mods, I'm pretty sure AP cost is influenced by the weight of armor. I pretty much had to abandon PA in my luck based VATS run, as I'd get easily 3-4 times as many shots outside of it(granted, most of that is probably ap reducing legendary armor).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

How do weapons that need to charge work in VATS? Is it assumed you max charge?
At least with the Gauss Rifle every VATS shot does full charge damage.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Reveilled posted:

If you don't suggest using the dog, Valentine does, even if he's never seen your dog. He also knows the dog's name is dogmeat, even if you haven't named the dog. Then your dog teleports to the front door, magically. I'm curious what happens if you detour around the red rocket to avoid meeting the dog.

Turns out he was familiar with Dogmeat before you met him, Dogmeat is apparently a crime solving adventure dog who has helped Valentine enough that he knows a special way to call him(a dog whistle).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vasudus posted:

No no, my first character used automatics and ignored VATS. I'm going to do ~something~ with heavy VATS/luck use this time. Just can't decide between rifles or pistols.

Either one should work fine. Just don't be like me and not put points into Agility and have no AP for anything. I had a sniper rifle that I couldn't even fire in VATS because one shot cost more than my entire bar. Rifles are going to be a bit more rough in the early game for a VATS build, but scale up much higher in the end game I believe. Pistols will generally give you more shots which generally means more criticals, but I can't think of any pistols that really amazed me.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'd like some kind of deployable drop bag item that I can place wherever I'm looting, fill with all my junk, and then one of my provisioners will come pick it up and chuck the stuff into my workshop after some reasonable number of hours.

I want a mod that allows you to build a vertibird base of your own, and then use the signal grenades to call it to deliver and take your power armor/be able to dump your junk on it for it to take it back to base/deliver and take companions(or combined with a robco ceritifed mod robots yeaaah) etc. Maybe one day. Having your own Vertibird flyby and just drop your power armor as it goes over would be awesome though, it'd do a lot to actually make me use it when I don't have to go to wherever I dumped it and travel all the way back.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

So Local Leader is essential for developing them? The text around the perk talks of supply lines and setting up stores but I don't really get the point.

Is all this in any way essential to finishing the game, or even getting the most out of it?

Settlements are the easiest way to break the game. If you don't intend to do that or don't like being massively overpowered then just ignore them and any related perks, you don't really gain anything unique from them.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly it's weird that they don't just throw legendary power armor pieces into the loot pile. There are a few unique power armor pieces here and there, but there's absolutely nothing to distinguish one suit of T-60 from another really.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

titties posted:

What are the prereqs for the butcher's bill quest? The doctor doesn't have any quests for me, just barter and healing. I have completed the first MILA placement. PAM still just talks about all processes are currently busy.

If I remember right, Boston After Dark is from Deacon but I can't complete it because the "secure the meeting site" objective is just inside the area of the map that is bugged out in my game and the whole thing crashes when I get inside 25 hud compass distance units.

You may have to advance the main quest a bit, there are a number of faction quests that won't appear until you do including the one from PAM.

Azhais posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/897/

e: I have no personal experience with this mod, it modifies the same files as the full dialogue thing and I wanted that more than sorting

There's a compatible version in the optional files for that mod that has consistently kept up with updates so far. It's not a bad mod, although it needs work on sorting in a manner that's actually helpful and the fact that there's no real way to sort armor/weapons makes shop menus kind of meh.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Does difficulty increase the quality of legendary items? The game says legendary rate, but I play on Normal and you can't spit without hitting Legendary bandits/Gunners/whatevers.

I've been playing on survival and it seems like maybe 1 in 50 Legendaries are actually useful. You want as many legendary monsters as possible because most of the time you get legendary canes and rolling pins and argh.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's never something that actually existed, it's a rumor that won't die due to a UI bug. You get the full materials of anything you put in a workshop, however sometimes the individual components that aren't used won't appear to be there. If you go to make something you will still have them, and after awhile they will show up. There's no difference between storing something in your workshop and scrapping it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I hope the game didn't want me to think of X6-88 as some kind of badass or anything, cause the BoS landed a Vertibird with a bunch of low level troops and chased him down and took him out easily(except he's essential so...).

^^MacCready and Hancock are both in Goodneighbor, you can get there and get them long before you do anything with the main quest but the main quest will eventually direct you there.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

McKilligan posted:

At what point do the attacks on your settlements being? I've got all these guns pointed at stuff but nothing for them to shoot at yet - do they have to reach a certain size, or is it after a certain point in the story?

As far as I can tell never. I have several settlements with massive amounts of undefended water, I've had like 3 attacks the entire game and I'm level 51. None of those attacks were at any settlement I had ever actually put stuff in.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

That's referring to stuff in your workbench used for crafting like purified water and harvested crops, not the "Food" and "Water" stats for each of your settlements (which is what I assumed you were talking about). So if you have a bunch of corn in your workbench it will show up at another linked settlement for you to craft with, but that other settlement will still have 0 Food if you don't plant anything there.

No, nothing you put in a workbench will actually show up in another settlements workbench even if you have local leader. When you go to craft, it will draw from every item stored in every workbench connected by a trade route, but it will not show the item and won't let you pull it out. Trade routes do share the food and water stats, it's not reflected by the actual numbers but if you have a settlement with 15 excess water and a linked settlement with 15 settlers and no water then the stat will say 0 water but will be yellow instead of red and no one will complain about not having any.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

The Missing Link posted:

I liked tracking down a Courser in the CIT building. I really felt a sense of "oh poo poo, this thing is as awesome as I am" as it was tearing through gunners a floor above me the whole time. And the gunners on the radio going "Jesus Christ does anybody have eyes on that thing!?"

The entire time they were hyping the Courser up, I was thinking yeah it's going to be disappointing when I actually fight him. Lo and behold, he didn't get a single shot off :( Maybe I should have done the main quest earlier.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
DR is a diminishing returns percentage system. It maxes out well into the thousands. The Toughness perks are not worth it at all unless you just really have trouble with the early game.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Duncan Doenitz posted:

So I just started a new game with a melee build based on multiple sources stating that melee/unarmed is way overpowered and you'll be one-shotting low to mid level guys incredibly quickly. My stats are:

STR 9
PER 4 (for Locksmith)
END 1
CHR 3 (for Lone Wanderer)
INT 1
AGI 6
LCK 5

I'm Level 10 and have Rooted, Idiot Savant, Moving Target, Iron Fist (2), and Big Leagues (2), and I think I need some tips on how to make this style more enjoyable, since I'm dying a lot more often than I did early on with my previous pure shooting character. I'm using Grognak's Axe, if that helps.

The most essential part of a melee build is Blitz, it's really just not viable without it. The successful formula is basically Blitz+Rooted+All the drugs.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm a fan of pretty much all the changes and can think of ways around the ones I don't. Honestly my problem is I have an addiction to quicksaving, and even though I very rarely ever actually load a quicksave I still do it practically every other moment because that's what I've done in every game with quicksave since Oblivion.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
DLC also gives you a decontamination arch that takes away all your radiation and only takes 2 power. Useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
A critical based pistol build seems absurd based on what i've been playing of it so far. You can get Righteous Authority with a minimum of effort and mod it into a pistol, then you can stack the critical boosting weapon mod on top of it's legendary effect and then add in perks. It absolutely destroys, even on Survival. You can also make it a sniper pistol because VATS always hits at full force even with the sniper barrel, so you've got high rate of fire, really long range, great accuracy, high damage, and massive critical boosts all on a gun that takes an incredibly common ammo type. Outside of getting a Lucky plasma pistol or something, you're pretty much set for the entire game with it.

• Locked thread