Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I'm really liking this expansion. It gives even OPMs a chance at really impacting the world, like OPM Ancona wardecing 4 province Florence and annexing everything. Forts make warfare more interesting, and you need to plan how you will attack an area, or where you will hide your armies.

The increased coring costs and annexation costs come with an adjustment in mindset, true. But I thought vassal feeding was too gamey. Now you need to think whether you want to have a stronger vassal, more dip points, or take other considerations in peace. I think the costs may have gone a little too far in that regard, but I get the reason. Finally there are some trade offs where you have to chose a direction to go in rather than just "every".

Rincewind posted:

I do have one question about El Dorodo's auto-explore system, though. In the majority of sea exploration missions, you don't have to worry about sea attrition unless your explorer gets killed somehow. This isn't the case with circumnavigating the globe, however, as I learned after I sent two explorers off to grisly deaths. What conditions (Diplo tech? Naval access with nations along the way? More colonies? A certain fleet composition?) should I meet before attempting circumnavigation again?

Either naval access or more colonies/cores along the route. If you have colonies in South America, Hawaii or other mid-Pacific colony, and some access in Malaysia, India and Africa that should be sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
I'm having the worst luck lately, and none of it can be blamed on the game itself.

First, started a fairly successful ironman Poland game, got about 150 years in, had the PU stable, good alliances, making good progress against my rivals... misclicked on load, didn't read warning, and deleted the save.

That sucked, whatever. Start an ironman Milan game, trying to form Italy. Going great, good alliances, Austria neutered, good vassals and three provinces to take from the Papal States before I can hit the button. Save and close the game. Next day, game won't start. Don't read the forums with the solution. Reinstall EUIV. Load the game. Forget to hit the Ironman button before hitting Play. Don't notice til later when I am saving.

Try out a Free City game with Nurnberg. Misplay and get surrounded by the Palatinate, spend the rest of the game with no army punching up development to get the 60 Development achivement.

I think it's time to try something completely overpowered.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

They're permanent and there are like 7-8, one for each of the fabled Seven Cities and the Fountain of Youth. It's fairly rare to get any one of them and I'm not sure if it's possible to get multiple, the events file is huge and I don't feel like reading through the code right now. Suffice to say a small but significant probability you get one if you explore most of the New World with a conquistador. They give stuff like +0.5 yearly Prestige, 10% Trade Power, 5 base tax income, stuff like that. Nice but nothing game-breaking and entirely random.

At least in 1.11, it was at least possible to get one of the seven cities AND the fountain of youth. I haven't looked at events to see if it's changed.

That was one time, though, and more often than not my explorers just get themselves suckered into eating some long pig.

vyelkin posted:

If you're a free city in the HRE and go protestant, do you lose free city status?

No. I think there's two things that can revoke the status: Piss of the emperor enough that he revokes it, or get another province. You may have it removed through rebels that change your government form as well.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Apoffys posted:

The screenshots were taken just a few days after the war started, so they can't have come from Cremona. I don't know where they came from, but presumably they were on their way south already when I joined the war. Lucca was the defender and war target, I jumped in on Lucca's side shortly after the war started.

Perhaps they were already in my territory, on their way to Cremona when I joined the war? I didn't give them military access, but military access doesn't seem to matter any more as you can mostly go where you please without it... (Yes, I'm bitter because I got crushed in another game, because my enemies walked through the lands of my neighbours without a military access treaty).

Here's another example, though I neglected to take a screenshot at the time and I might be misremembering how it happened. I owned Mombasa, which had a functioning (though somewhat understaffed) fort. I had an army in Tanga, which I had occupied. The enemy marched from Malindi, to Mombasa and then on to Tanga where they beat my army. They marched through my fort as if it wasn't there.

Was Austria emperor? It may be that they were just travelling to stomp on Lucca with a valid path prior to your entry into the war, and the path wasn't recalculated when you joined.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Playing as Poland, I just got a PU over Wallachia. Hungary contested, and off to war we go.

Except none of my minions got the call to arms. Lithuania's sitting there. Novgorod, Modavia, Golden Horde... Allies got the call, and thankfully accepted, as I was already involved in 3 wars.

Am I missing something? Do junior partners, marches and vassals not get call to arms for PUs?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Wiz posted:

It's actually been something I've been wanting to do for a year and a half. Finally got some time to bite into my backlog for this patch.

Does the discount also apply to advisors obtained through papal points?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Allyn posted:

Yes, because otherwise the only route from the east back to Europe is via Alexandria, and would not be able to funnel into the English Channel

You can go Alexandria -> Ragusa -> Wein -> Saxony/Rheinland -> Lubeck -> English Channel... but you'd get pennies on the ducat for what you put in if you don't control those nodes.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have a Japan game in the mid-1500s, and my colonial nations in South America are starting to run into Portugal's CNs. Can I leverage this somehow to westernize off them? Or am I better off going to Africa to find a European colony to get adjacent with?

If you have a colonial region where you don't have a colonial nation yet and can get a colony next to a European core or European CN core, that'd work. Near Maya in Central America may be a good spot for that. But I don't think you can off of your CN being next to their CN.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Does anyone know if certain countries are hardcoded to be a certain religion? As the Ottomans I went to great pains to take the Sicilian-cultured Neapolitan-cores from Aragon in time to convert them then release Naples as my Muslim vassal in Sicily, to feed the rest of Naples to. However, after all of this effort, I went to release Naples and they were released as a Catholic.

I'm not sure I would say hardcoded, but they do have a default religion applied in the country definitions.
code:
government = feudal_monarchy
technology_group = western
religion = catholic
primary_culture = neapolitan
capital = 121 # Napoli
This can be changed over time, but unless they changed before they were annexed they will be this when they are released.

If you have gone to the 1.13 beta patch this is no longer the case, and is a bug

1.13 patch notes posted:

Which religion a released country/vassal gets is now based on the majority religion in their core provinces (with previous religion counting as 50% larger than it actually is).

edit: fixed broken tables.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

i took humanism now as Spain and now no more North African Revolts! I pump dip or adm if i'm maxed and way over time and have Morrocan and Berber accepted. That Language event when you form spain helps too.

Also, Will Iron or Copper ever develop in colonies? I'm pushing into Louisiana and am wondering if I'm gonna be getting Iron in Wisconsin/Minnesota.

A bit back, there's a chance to get Iron in Louisiana 1/30 and copper in La Plata (2/24)

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Apologize for double post.

Finished up my Poland > PLC game in 1.12, trying to get the three Poland achievements and whichever ones I could pick up.

I found it a ridiculously easy time getting up and running to superpower status. Ditching the Sejm for me was just the initial revolt, then waiting a bit to get to Absolute Monarchy. Hussars was easy. Poland can into Space was a grind. I had a choice - either conquer all of Europe or India or get the achievement. So I sat at speed 5 doing nothing from 1790 on.

Some highlights:

Habsburgs being Habsburgs

Brazil broke free from Castile by mid 1500s. Castile got exiled from Iberia and spent a long time with their capital on Gold Coast. Aragon formed Spain, then got their poo poo kicked in around 1795 by France. At one time Spain owned all of Iberia and Morocco. Kicked Ottomans out of Anatolia, but they popped back up in Trebizond late game and took most of the Georgia. Muscovy was eaten by Lithuania while they were in the union. Castile being trivialized meant that the colonial game was slow. Siberia remained empty, lots of empty space in the middle of North America and South America... It felt like a very weak game by the AI. It also included the saddest little 30 years war ever. Sweden, The Hansa, and Brunswick joined the Protestant League. Austria, Brandenburg, France, Spain... any one of them could have handled it themselves. Of course, I missed the 30 years war again because of truce timers. Seriously, I think I've been involved in 2 since that was added to the game.

As for Poland, enforced a union over Brandenburg hoping to steal Emperor, but it went to Austria. That pretty much ended my ambition to do anything but tech up.. Austria had my dynasty by the mid 1500s, but the only time i could have forced a union on them I had a regency; up until that point we were best buds. Expanded into Venice and Genoa trade nodes to go for the achievement on owning them with trade value over 300, but gave up around 1700 when i figured that income would never get that high. Grabbed some of Australia from Portugal for giggles.

Trigger warning: ugly borders

End result:

Novgorod, Syria, Afghanistan are marches. Dehli is a protectorate that I released from Juanpur at 5 provinces. I'm really happy with them, as they've gobbled up all my old protectorates that westernized and became useless.

I stayed Catholic until around Adm 12 when I integrated Lithuania, then flipped to Protestant. Ended up converting Jerusalem, Rome & Mecca for giggles.

End result, ideas and stats.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Node posted:

Got Basileus. I'm surprised at how many missions and decisions the Byzantines get. Take the coast of Alexandria! Take Tripoli! Take the coast of Tunis, ancient enemy of Rome! Take Rome! Take Northern Italy! Take Istria! Take Sardinia! Take the southern coast of Hispania! Triumph for the Balkans! Triumph for Asia Minor! Triumph for Anatolia! Triumph for Italy! :ssj:

Goodness gracious. This was the only time I wish the game's timeline went on longer, just so I could see how many missions Byzantium got. I was about to finish up Take Northern Italy until I got a regency and, well, that was the end of that game. I had to take so many loving loans building up a fleet to survive the beginning of the game that I got about 30% inflation. I made economic my first idea group, thinking the inflation reduction would be nice, and I'd be back to zero inflation in no time. Wrong. In 1821, after taking every Master of Mint, and having the inflation reduction idea the entire game, I was only down to 10% inflation.

Someone pick an achievement or two for me to work towards next: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatass9000/stats/appid/236850/achievements

Black Jack seems like a fun one to try for. Looks like it requires either a lot of colonization or a lot of HRE love (or both).

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Dammit, how does my ironman save keep getting de-ironmaned? Had a good Ottoman start where I had converted to Orthodox, good progress in conquest and neutered Malmuks and QQ.

Guess I get to try that again.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Tendronai posted:

This might have just been luck on my part, but is abolishing the Sejm as the Commonwealth supposed to be a wet fart? I triggered the event, fought the 60-ish stack on my capital, then hunkered down and waited for the next rebels. Two years later I got a pop-up telling me the revolts were done without seeing a single further rebel.

Not that I'm complaining but I was expecting something more along the lines of an actual disaster.

That was my experience exactly.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

What causes Western Arms Trade? I keep getting, then losing it as Muscovy.

It is under Triggered Modifiers on the bottom right.
I think it's three things:
Relations over 150(1) with an allied (2) neighboring(3) Western country.

My guess is you're getting it when you're in a war (+25) with your ally Sweden?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

double nine posted:

Is there any way to dupe an ironman game? I'm doing an achievement run and am in a good position to get it but also there is opportunity to experiment with mechanics. Unfortunately if I gently caress it up I'm going to get stomped by everyone I pissed off so I don't want to...

Can I copy my ironman game to local so I can test some stuff?
The "ironman" is just a way of preventing the text file from being directly edited. I've never had any problems copying/moving the save file from the steam cache to the local save folder. Overwriting the one in the steam cache can play funny due to how the that works, but that's due to steam, not EUIV.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
New Dev Diary: Culture conversion changes and merc changes.

dev diary posted:

Free in the 1.14 patch is a change to canals that will prevent anyone who is at war with the owner of the canal from moving their ships through it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-october-8th.885819/

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Another VEN -> BYZ analysis: holy poo poo.

It seems like a very tough start, and I had to restart a few times prior to 1500 due to rebel problems, but by the time you form BYZ at about 1540/1550 you should be the dominant power in the region, if not Europe.

Some tips:
  • Day 1, set Adm focus. Never touch focus again.
  • Austria, Poland, France. Pick 2, buddy up to them for the first 100/200 years, kill the third in the cradle.
  • Pick an Italian minor to feed Italy to. Mine ended up being Milan, whom I fed pretty much all Northern Italy. They had the 5th largest standing army by the end, and were rolling around with a 60 stack by the 1700s.
  • Patrician Authority is your friend. With Plutocratic, Humanist, and Statue in Restraint of Appeals, and max PA, each Orthodox province is sitting at a natural -8 unrest. With Byzantine traditions and + missionary strength decisions, you can easily get 11.5% missionary strength, which will convert most provinces in about a year. With all that -unrest, you'll have few issues with rebels.

For ideas, I started Plutocratic / Humanist / Influence, and that was enough to keep me conquering constantly. The +Republican Tradition DHEs from Venice are the most rediculous thing I've ever seen. Over the course of the game, I had 31 different rulers with an average 4.5/3/3 stats. I had one guy for 36 years. I don't think I went below 70 RT at all. I stacked Offensive and Quality, went Innovative for the policies/-War Exhaustion, took a Exploration and the first idea to finish off Africa, then dropped that for Diplomatic and Economic. Moved from mostly mercenaries to a manpower based army some time in the early 1600s. I looked for colonizers that were vulnerable to full annexation and ate them, which is how i ended up with 16 colonies in 9 colonial regions.

What I would have changed:
I would have eaten harder into Asia than I did. Most of my wealth was from Production from about 1600 on, when i started averaging 50 ducats a month. I was missing out on a ton of new world trade keeping my trading center in Venice - when i moved to Genoa around 1800 trade earnings doubled.
I would have taken Diplomatic earlier and probably not taken Innovative, especially since I could have gotten more from each war.
I would have taken Admin early for coring cost discounts.
Maybe going Expansion would give me the ability to colonize the East instead of conquering everything. Would have saved me dip/adm in the long run, maybe.

Pictures: 1700

Ottomans not yet killed, France no longer an ally but not yet an enemy, Commonwealth broken, returning Aragonese Spain to Castile, still eating into Africa.

1817 - Apathy sets in.

Wanted to finish off England, so took 200% OE's worth of provinces, which lead to a couple new client states in ugly colors.

Ugly colonial colors: North American Edition

Ugly colonial colors: South American Edition

State of the world:
Saw the formation of Hindustan (2 games in a row!) and Qing

I have a little bit of leftover money

It's easy to manage liberty desire when you're rolling in prestige

Orthodox everywhere!

Ideas and economy

I think the guy who put the original Ven->Byz walkthrough up is right. WC possible, just need to be aggressive in Asia/Europe off the bat.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Well this just got interesting.

Maybe I'll finally complete a WC run, gimmick Catholic Ottoman though it may be.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
You know what's fun? Finding out that when you have a colonial war, where you call your protectorates, stuff they siege is transferred to one of your colonial nations' control. And of course they don't transfer it to you. So thank you, Juanpur and CN Brazil, for loving up my planned route of conquest into China. I hate you all.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Jsor posted:

Is there a good guide to UI modding? All the modding guides I can find are for adding new events and stuff. I'm having a lot of trouble finding where things point.

Like I'm finding things like:

code:
		instantTextBoxType = {
			name = "summary"
			position = { x = 220 y = 350 }
			textureFile = ""
			font = "vic_22"
			borderSize = {x = 0 y = 0}
			text = "PEACE_SUMMARY"
			maxWidth = 128
			maxHeight = 24	
			format = left
		}	
But I can't find PEACE_SUMMARY's definition, which I assume fills the summary box programmatically.

In diplomacy_I_english I'm finding things like:

code:
 PAY_CASH_TO_MULTIPLE: "$WHO$ will pay §Y$WHAT$§! ducats to $WHOM$ and its allies."
Which are obviously part of the constructed text, but I have no idea how those values are being subbed in, or what part of the files actually transforms the selected peace terms into a summary.

I basically just want to add a tiny bit of info to the declare war and peace summary screens. Specifically, on the declare war screen I want to show the relative strength of the alliance if the war starts as predicted, and on the peace screen I want to show something like "If this lesser partner accepts peace, it will remove X [infantry icon] Y [cav icon] and Z [cannon icon] from the war" to reduce the amount of ledger-digging you have to do.

You're looking in the right location for the PEACE_SUMMARY but the localisations are split into a few files for english, depending on when that bit was added. It's likely one of the original parts, so would be in core_l_english or text_l_english probably.

As for showing that information, this Paradox forum thread will help you a bit, but you'll likely need to dig into similar UI elements to see how to display the troop numbers, if you even can.

Searching in the modding forum can be very helpful, even if the other forums there are less so.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

YouTuber posted:

I just lost a coalition war so I'm on cooldown with most of Western Europe, the only potentials would probably be Kaffa and Hejez. That would maybe wipe out one or two loans but probably incur a few since Persia is allied to some of those states and they seem to punch quite hard in the past few Eastern games I've played.

Edit: Started a war, and leader dies and huge pretender revolt begins :dawkins101: Ok I checked and it would take me 57 years to pay off the loans at full stop cutbacks and no war.

What's your autonomy situation? With constant warring and little peace, you may have a number of highly profitable provinces at high autonomy that would help your situation if their autonomy was reduced.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Quite a few minor changes that will affect how I play. Looks like a good patch though. Hopefully this will stop the crash to desktop and empty save I've encountered twice in the last day on two different computers (but not before).

Patch Notes posted:

- Gold mines can now deplete at any level of production above 1, but the chance is much smaller at low levels of production.
- The AI will no longer ally a country that's in a war and could call it into said war under any circumstances.
- Missions to colonize provinces will now also require the colony to have a population above 400.
- Peace: Force change government/religion peace options no longer selectable if annexing country.
- You no longer have to be connected to Steam to be able to start an Ironman game.
- Fleets on exploration missions will now gain "Time at Sea" attrition again.
- You can no longer demand territory in an independence war you started unless you also demand independence.
- Guarantees now expire when the guaranteed becomes too powerful.
- Fixed exploit due to being able to send several Peace Offers on the same day. You must now wait a day between sending offers.
- AI now 'cheats' on maintenance for border and capital forts (there is a define to disable this) and won't mothball these.

Some "pro strats" killed dead with this one.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Lots of QoL improvements in this patch that I like a lot

The small changes in the UI in this patch like the trade goods in the development builder
new mapmodes - I know dynasty is new, but has Government Types, Rebel Types, and Overseas Provinces always been in? - made it easy to see I missed an event where my heir changed dynasty.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Anyone know if the production bonus that Ternate and Tidore get (that you see floating over their provinces in the Trade mapmode) goes away if you conquer them?

It, and other province based bonuses (Tirol, the one in Sweden, the one in Peru) remain without regard to province owner. It's possible there's an event that clears it, but I've never encountered it.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

What happened to the continue game button? I just went to load up the first game I started since the latest patch and it's not there. I can load the game as normal through Single Player > Saved Games but I don't have the convenient button on the main screen.

I think I saw one of the Paradox guys saying that for that to show up, it needs to finish calculating the checksum, which may finish after the main menu loads. Easy way to check is to go to the Single Player menu, click a save game, then go back. That'll force reload, and I've seen it come up then, so maybe there's some stuff preserved that would make the checksum finish quicker.

Then again, I can't find proof of that through a casual search and i'm not a developer, let alone at Paradox. But when you don't see it, look to the bottom left to see if it says Calculating Checksum...

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Star posted:

The announcement for Mare Nostrum reveals two new mechanics: trade leagues for merchant republics, and condottieri which means that you can rent out your armies to other nations and be paid.

I don't recall the mission system for navy orders either.

Announcement posted:

If you control the sea lanes, you control the trade. If you control the trade, you control the world. It all sounds so easy. But first you need guns and ships and men to man them. It’s one thing to protect your coasts, but another to project power beyond them. Are you ready to make the ocean yours?

Mare Nostrum is the new expansion DLC for Paradox Development Studio’s best-selling historical grand strategy game Europa Universalis IV. For those of you not up on your Latin, “mare nostrum” was the old Roman term for the Mediterranean – it means “our sea”, reflecting the Roman goal to dominate the sea to protect the food and riches that were rowed into its ports.

Mare Nostrum, therefore, takes its name from the major changes made to the naval game in Europa Universalis. For example, your coastal provinces produce sailors who will be needed to man and repair the warships and transports you have come to rely on. A new mission system for naval orders simplifies naval management, and the Barbary Coast nations of North Africa can now raid their neighbors for gold and sailor conscripts.

Other features of Mare Nostrum will include:

•Condottieri: Rent out your soldiers as mercenaries to give an underdog a fighting chance while filling your treasury

•Trade Leagues: For merchant republics, the power of the purse is amplified by creating economic and military alliances

•Share Maps: Instead of waiting for the world to come to you, ask your friends if they have discoveries they are willing to share.

•PLUS; changes to diplomacy, subject nation management and much more. Mare Nostrum will be available soon from major digital retailers and the Paradox store.
Source

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

So wait, if Mewar has toxic cores, and I feed those to Kiawathar (who does not have toxic cores), it would be more expensive to annex Kiawathar even though they do not have the toxic core idea and simply own someone else's toxic cores?

You can always have Mewar revoke cores on non-primary-culture cores, or wait until they expire (150 years later).

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Seems like I've found at least part of the solution for #3, in ideas.gfx there's code for each idea SpriteType
spriteType = {
name = "GFX_idea_XXXX_ideas"
texturefile = "gfx//interface//ideas//idea_XXXX_ideas.tga"
noOfFrames = 1

effectFile = "gfx/FX/buttonstate_linear.lua"
}

texturefile = refers to the actual gfx file, not sure how important the "name =" is, doesn't seem to be refering to any other file, but maybe that line is used by something else...

Also found out that there's localisation for military units I need to add some where (they show up now though), and along the way I've gotten an localisation error in because advisor names don't show up and certain lines show up like MON_ADM_LONG and MODIFIER_POSSIBLE_MERCENARY (something). Not sure which localisation file it is thoughit's in text_I_english.yml.

Phone posting, but the basics of localization is that you can create a file called whateverthehelliwant with the localization extension and fill that text file with your own stuff. Make sure the start of the file looks like
code:
l_english:
 phrase = "what the game should display"
And though the rest a cesspool, the modding section of the official forums is a good resource, and most questions can be answered there. Including the idea graphics one you have.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Allyn posted:

So with the new replay feature and the ability to play beyond the end date (without Ironman), you can actually combine the two: play until 3400AD and see how you got there :catstare:

According to the stream, it actually goes to 9999AD. 3400 was just as far as that game had been run so far. No new anything past 1821, though.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Poil posted:

Doing a game as Aragon and became king of Gondar. :v:

This screenshot is a few days old, what in the world happened here? Portugal did own Morocco at the time and those rebels kept on walking around the Mediterranean but... how the hell did they get there in the first place?

Possibly a Morroccan army that went rebel after full annexation

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Star posted:

EU4 wiki posted:
Having a spy network in a foreign nation grants several passive benefits for the aggressor in that nation. The benefits scale with the networks' size and at a 100 spy network will apply:

+20% Siege ability
-10% Aggressive expansion impact (in that nation)

This is only with Mare Nostrum, though. I kept looking for it before I got the DLC, thinking it was in the free changes part of the patch notes.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Star posted:

Yup, lion-something something. I think you have to be the Protestant league leader though?

From the achievement requirements it appears you only have to be Sweden, be Protestant, join the League war, and win it.

code:
# Medium
achievement_lion_of_the_north = {
	id = 95

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		tag = SWE
	}

visible = {
		has_dlc = "Art of War"
	}

happened = {
		religion = protestant
		custom_trigger_tooltip = {
			tooltip = achievement_lion_of_the_north_tooltip
			has_country_flag = won_religious_league_war
		}
	}
}

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm playing around for the first time really digging into modding. I want to add a commune government, trying to represent medieval communes (that had mostly died out, been conquered, or evolved into city states by eu4's period) that represent some form of very early pre-marx communism.

Because of the nature of the government, I was hoping to use the faction system rather than estate system. I looked at the government files to look at a government that uses factions, merchant republic, and it just seemed to list the 3 factions but doesn't have any sort of estates = no entry, so I assume if you specify factions the game turns off the estate system? I was hoping to have a few factions representing the pacifistic christian element, the more jacobin element, and the common people/workers.

The wiki has some bare bones modding info, but is there a better place/community to go for questions on this? An irc/discord channel? Anything like that for babby modders?

From when I was doing some modding myself, the best resource I could find was actually the paradox forums. They're generally pretty helpful in that part of it. The wiki only served to confuse me.

The other way to do it was to look at what was actually in the game files. I often thought "there's an event for this country that does what I want" and I'd go find it and adapt from there.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do AI Great Powers ever join wars where there is a Great Power mis-match? If I attack Portugal I will be the only Great Power in the war and i am worried Castille or someone else will join in and help Portugal. Castille, England, and France are all GPs but they are all involved in a war together and I think they would be the most likely to join in to help Portugal...

There has to be at least 3 great powers involved in a war for another great power to intervene.

However, they could always try enforce peace assuming their relationship with Portugal hasn't tanked.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Under what conditions will this happen? My league war is going to have at least 5 GPs in it after I kick it off - how can I try to get the Ottomans to intervene on my side?

I went through the game data to look for more information, but like all diplomatic actions, it's hardcoded. That action is available on any war that has an unbalanced number of great powers. So if Alllaince A has 3 GPs, and Alliance B has 2, one uninvolved GP can intervene and join on the side of Alliance B. If A has 4, and B has 1, the other 3 remaining GPs can join in on B's side. This is just when it is available -- I don't know how the AI would weight it and what would make the AI choose to intervene.

However, I did find some interesting items in the defines.lua regarding GPs:

code:
GREAT_POWER_ACTIONS_DISABLE_VERSUS_PLAYER = 1, --If set to 1, AI will never perform Great Power actions (directly) hurting a human player.
SHIELD_GLOW_RANGE = 0.28,						-- Set to 0 to disable Great Power shield glow, set to 1 for epileptic seizure.
I'm not sure what that first part means -- maybe prevents the AI from using the Break Alliance action? Because I know I've had the other three used on me.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Elman posted:

You know how there's a rule where you can't core unless you got an adyacent core? What's the exception to that?

I ask because I keep running into situations like these:

I can core Chengdu and Umung, but not Chongoing.

I can core everything.

couple pages back, but the basics of it are that the provinces in China are overseas, and therefore you can only core adjacent to another core, while the ones in Asia Minor are not, so you can core that little snake without waiting. You can see what the game considers overseas by using the map mode for it, but it's roughly not on home continent and not nearby.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I might have asked for military access before the war started? You don't seem to automatically get military access from allies, though - earlier in that game, I was unable to go through Brandenburg to get to France after calling them in to my war until I'd explicitly asked them for military access.

I've had some weird access things happen. AI armies going into countries that they had no access to, and not being able to follow. An army being stuck and only able to go between a fort and neighboring province in a country I just peaced out -- and who was the only enemy -- until I got access from a neighbor and escaped there. AI armies not knowing which way they wanted to go and changing their mind every day. Granted, that one's been in various forms since forever.

Seems most of these are new from the past patch or two.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Humm, so bottom line is: I wont get nothing worth of Venice even though is a very rich node and I control 87% of it. That's sad

If you want to get something out of Venice while not removing the bonus you get from only collecting in your home node, consider sending pirates to Venice. They'll only give you about 40% of what they take, but its' better than 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
My Coptic Ottoman game has a Zoroastrian Persia that I had nothing to do with. I have no idea where it came from, but I almost want to let them live.

• Locked thread