Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So, I put my pre order registration code in the other day, the SE site says that the download for heavensward opens up on 6/23, so how does the early access work? Is there just gonna be a massive patch come the end of downtime and every client natively supports heavensward or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The downtime is now, 24 hours.

well yeah that much is obvious but im wondering if were gonna get like a 7gb heavenward patch or if there was supposed to be a separate download someplace for early access.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

kharaa posted:

have you considered firing up the launcher

grazi, 8gb downloaded. and now the waiting game.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm like almost 40 and still enjoying Machinist, am i a scrub lord yet?

its not that MCH is unenjoyable. I actually really like the mechanics behind it, in theory build up crazy bursts and spike the poo poo out of your dps then recover and repeat, but in practice the further you get from 30 the more impotent the job gets. I was able to squeeze some really crazy numbers out of bard but MCH is just hamstrung by intentionally low output being screwed by the random nature of the base combo and some really wacky timers.

If they can get MCH settled above bard for damage with their current utility they will be fine but..they have no niche for their damage levels and are a chore to get to damage levels equivilant to bard which packs more utility. Its not great as a job but its nowhere near unsalvagable, they should hopefully be able to tune it pretty soon.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Eimi posted:

Finding a new caster would be hard, in my limited FF experience. Black mage is already in the FF verse the one size fits all elementalist master mage. We have smn already. Sch was a dps, but is in as a healer. Whm is basically geomancer. What's left?

Time Mage, which you could treat like a magic bard, give it some damage rotations but much lower overall dps countered by the ability to lower the GCD :getin:

Tenzarin posted:

1-6,shift+1-6, ctrl+1-6. How is that even hard? I like to add q,e,r,t,f + shift versions.

I'm a wierdo who prefers a single key option so I just remapped the F1-f10 row for my second row, third row gets clicked but those are all super long GCDs, sprint, Limitbreaks etc. Technically third row is also shift 1-10 too but.. eh

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I macro fracture onto every GCD

e. I also party chat every single ability when playing ninja. /p DANCING EDGE: FEAR MY HANZO STEEL

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 2, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Technogeek posted:

If at any time you start to feel like you don't get how SMN works, take heart, for at least you aren't the poster of this thread:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/245755-smn-dreadwyrm-trance.-To-me-it-is-useless.-Help-me-to-understand-how-to-use-it.

Fester... situational..?! christ, id hate to see his dps numbers. I havent touched post 50 smn yet but.. fester is love, fester is life, aint nothin changin that.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Apparently this is what caused the emergency hotfix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL8qbggtlvU

Crashing the cluster market isnt really hurting the game though, its just dropping the price of finished goods which everyone is cool with. Kinda like how everyone liked to gently caress with bots and steal their mobs but it was still nice to buy bargain basement materia off of them and convert it into something actually useful at the goblin furnace. If it was something that was actually supposed to be rare I could see that being an "emergency", either something is completely broken in their last patch or theres a hell of a lot bigger exploit than that in the wild.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Great White Hope! posted:

Guys so I have this issue and I don't know if its been brought up yet or not but i got FFXIV on steam and i got Heavensward on steam and the Heavensward key didn't work. I got a refund, but I don't know how I should upgrade now. :(

I had that happen to me on a vanilla non steam copy. key got rejected on the mog station like 4 times, then worked no problem on the 5th attempt. Which makes no god drat sense but... welp.

I think youre hosed if you dont get it from steam though, once youre locked into the steam client you have to do it all through that store or buy a completely new basegame which isnt exactly cost effective.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Klades posted:

In my experience, equipping VIT is only especially useful if you would either die within 5 seconds otherwise, or you're doing big pulls in a 4man and want the healer to be able to get some damage off before they have to start dropping heal bombs on you.

The thing is that HP has nothing to do with mitigation. Other than those two situations, equipping more VIT does not reduce the burden on the healer. You could have argued for it before, when Lustrate was % based and Stoneskin was 18% for WHM, but now almost every heal that hits you doesn't give a poo poo about what your maxHP is. So if you're taking damage that you can reasonably live through, putting on another 5000 health just means the healer can start casting cure later.
If anything, strength actually reduces healer burden more than VIT does, because every tank has some self-healing ability that will scale from their attack power. Well, I think Clemency scales from attack power anyway. It's a pretty insignificant effect since tank HPS ends up being double digits or less, but it's an effect.

What it comes down to is I see other tanks in VIT gear, and they don't die any less than I do but they do about two thirds the damage I do.

I honestly do feel like this is a problem, since "focus on gear that makes you do more damage instead of gear that improves your eHP" is counter-intuitive, but I'm not sure what SE could do about it, unless they retooled a lot of defensive options to scale from VIT. Or gave tanks some attack power from VIT, which would be silly.

yeah some handy skills scale driectly off of how much damage youre doing, like the DRK mp drain or MRD Bloodbath, the only thing VIT gives you is a slightly higher HP number while STR can make your mitigation stronger as well, plus it helps to push DPS checks and potentially skip phases which means less work for the healer anyway. I suppose you would want vit gear if you were a bad and stood in all the stuff, otherwise its kindof a waste.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Elentor posted:

Temple leves are awful even if you don't ever use leves, they're not even that much more time efficient.

they were when I was leveling drg and just wanted the last million sp at 59 to go away quickly. All it really does is throw more warm bodies at you which DPS should be able to churn through blisteringly quick unless you're not so great at your new rotations yet, I could see it being a waste for healing and tank jobs. if your damage is slow its probably better to just run the easier leves and shoot for the weekly challenges tho.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

bonewitch posted:

What exactly is your point? Because if its "no one player can make that big of a difference", you're 100% wrong.

all it takes is one person to either guide the group or identify the weak member in the group and remove them. Sometimes you have to kick a dude, but if every group youre in is failing on any current content I have really bad news who the bad one is. Theres nothing painfully hard right now so...

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

pandaK posted:

Hey how long does the pbc FC wait to kick afk kick people out from the FC? My subscription just ended, but I'm definitely planning on re-subbing in at least 3 days' time. Will I be fine idling in the FC until then?

if you dont log in every 6 hours you are booted permanently from the FC and your room is sold to miquote of ill repute.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Pierson posted:

Just days? You'll be fine.

this is a lie, quickly resub and steal all the soil from the guild chest before they screw you, screw THEM first.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

bonewitch posted:

Here's our faust parse just cause chyea hasn't posted his groups yet, this was our post-enrage clear

also grats to elysium for world 2nd

I knew SMN was better than I played it and had gotten some love in heavensward but wow, Ill have to take another look at the class.

Also DRG buffs on the positional finisher!! :toot: I love the new drg rotation, trying to sneak as many Geirskogul in as possible without letting blood of the dragon drop is a metagame in itself, trying to get that 1,2,3 out the door with 10 seconds on the clock while dodging AOEs without losing potency makes you feel like a dps superstar. Looking forward to Spikyarmor 2.0

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Oh man that dps increase of 12 over 18s. God like ability.

be smart about this. 220 potency delivered over 18s for a single GCD, unless the skill you were going to use in that gcd has a higher potency, which in many cases it does not (especially when you oncasiannly have to move off target to not stand in the stuff, costing you a few seconds of damage were dots keep ticking anyway), you have a higher overall DPS so long as you don't clip it. If you can make room in your rotation its worth it, take DRG where you can sneak Fracture and Phlebotomize in on every 3rd refresh of Soul of the Dragon where casting Geirskogul would cause Soul to drop before your finisher and leaving about 15 seconds left on the recast cooldown. Drop Fracture and Phlebotomize instead to offset the potency loss and drive straight into your next 1,2,3 to bump up the timer on Soul so you can blow off more faces with 1,2,3, finish, Geirskogul combos.

E: and while Im nerding out over Drg, I see this a lot in dungeons, dont forget that your jumps dont interfere with Procs on your combos, and can be clipped over animation of your combo attacks, so you can power surge, 1, jump, 2, Spineshatter Dive, 3, Dragonfire Dive, finisher while only losing about .5 to 1 second depending on your timing, most of that on the animation for dragonfire. I see a lot of drgs throw their jumps out in between combos and there are faster ways to do it.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 23, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fracture is always a DPS loss on dragoon and has been since the buffs back in 2.4 or whatever.

on a training dummy, yes.

in practical application, not so much.

Tenzarin posted:

Hahaha, I have protect cross skilled on my paladin gear set. What a tool, hes saving those slot for FRACTURE!

I hear you man, that's why I don't the blm soul stone! Just so I too can fracture for its insane dps addition.

thats some interesting dyslexia you got there friend, black mage spells daragoonnnn :downs:

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 23, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

In practical application it has no use on dragoon. The last time it had any real use for me in raiding was on Nael. Since the buffs it really is a DPS loss pretty much always.

I use it to leave dots on the main boss in add heavy fights, please recommend a substitute.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Truga posted:

When I get tam-tara or sastasha, I fire off protect, move cleric stance to slot 1 (it only goes on cooldown for 5 seconds, not 30, for whatever reason), turn that on, then move aero to slot 1, since turning off cleric stance really isn't necessary, and eat the remaining 30 seconds of cooldown.

I did this both when leveling SCH and AST, worked great :v:

does protect even matter pre longstop? Most of the heals are still overheals at that point, the impact is minimal

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Continue on through your primary combos while moving around. If you want to dot a bunch of things, pass out phlebotomize. The average potency of just going through the dragoon combo just outpaces fracture since the buffs back in 2.4 or whenever. I don't even keep fracture cross classed anymore because of it.

I already do that, im usually timed out to finish a primary combo at spawn and try to keep my timing on jumps so that they are comming off cooldown as spawns come up, which cuts down running time by just using spineshatter and dragonfire to move between adds, I just drop a phleb and if I have very little time left on one of those cooldowns a fracture out > spineshatter > primary combo without any wasted time running in between. Fracture is about as low on the rotation priority as it can be though now, especially with the new new buffs handed out 2 patches ago which own so hard.

since we're doing numbers chat, for Bard does wanderers actually provide an overall increase? It bugs me so much to see those raging strikes, internal release, b4b timers counting off while I wait a billion years per weaponskill, should it just be applied during the window on your primary buffs and then dropped off during cooldown?

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

when left up all the time? Or just putting up for the buff windows? im rearranging my rotation as I push it through to 60, want to get in.. new.. habits before I use it for prime time.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

bonewitch posted:

It is 100% a damage increase on a target dummy fight, you should only be dropping it when there is *really* heavy movement (ie can't stutter step out of casts). Even then it should only be down for a gcd or two so you can get IJ and Emp back up.

Give me like 10 minutes and i'll do comparison parses.

Full WM:

No WM:

I also hosed up my WM rotation so that number is lower than it should be.

beautiful. also.. awww.. i hate the new pacing, but Ill adapt, WM it is.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Eej posted:

So Favours are pretty easy to collect and do but I'm not sure I want to reserve 11 hours and 15 minutes of my life every week for straight gathering unless the mats sell for stupendous amounts.

if its long and monotonous but easy you're going to be undercut on mats by bots within a week, so plan appropriately.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Im probably undercutting at least some of you on everything you sell.

I have no Egrets.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Doublestep posted:

the videos they've posted of people in full AF2 with reskins of the current esoterics weapons

saying that they're equivalents of soldiery/poetics weapons doesnt make sense because they don't require raid items to get, they're straight tomestones.

just like zenith upgrades.

You need a savage item to push them up to 210 but I'm willing to bet that the relic line will accept them as antiquated or upgraded and just pop you to 210 because they're being added in 3.1 and thats normally when they nerf upgrade items anyway

which videos? The ones from e3 were literally these exact weapons, no reskin, theyre just the esoterics set. You're delusional if you think square is going to open one of their main grinds with weapons that can be obtained by roulettes for a few weeks.

also, lol "They dont need to be purchaced with a raid item! ....until they need to be upgraded with one but thats damaging to my argument so im gonna bury that at the bottom poo poo poo poo poo poo"

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 24, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Etrips posted:

Nope I am still wayyy behind on the main story. Guess I gotta plow through that.

you cant even do any of the drg job quests without access to the heavenward areas even if if the dude had em for you.

That also means youve been grinding n. thanlan to get levels, RIP you.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SergZpartan posted:

So after tanking for far too many PuGs I've come to the conclusion that....
While people say MCH has crap DPS, and wailing on a dummy for a DPS check is fine, it fails to account for tanking the floor for half the fight OR fighting with full rez sickness.
Meaning DRG still proudly holds the 'Worst DPS" title.

drg owns, it also has the absolute tightest rotation that is also dependent on positionals that you dont even know until they proc with a super narrow window to actually get them off if you want to launch of a Geirskogul at the end of your 1,2,3 finisher without losing the BOD effect before you can refresh it. Its going to take a lot of people a while to figure out how to do that while not standing in the stuff, but anyone who played drg ok before and can competently play ninja as well should adapt pretty quick. Its not suprising that pubs are having an awful time with it, the first boss of fractal is a great practice arena for it though. FFXIV needs like a boss danger room where you can practice rotations against something that actually requires movement and reaction.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

After a rough transition peroid Im starting to settle into bard HW changes. Everything feels dumb and broken until you get Empyreal Arrow and its much better once you can refresh your dots with one gcd vs 2, post 54 the job is kinda similar to MCH but less random dumbness and more evenly controlled damage peaks. It will suffice as a main until Yoshi P decides to grace us with Dancer.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

They can't raise in combat. Only summoners and healers have combat res.

1.0 bards had raise since they could cross WHM and raise wasnt restricted.

1.0 bards also had animation lock issues like you wouldn't believe. Im glad there is no more 1.0. None of this is relevant.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Crisis, dont know if I should stay with Aura or go back to cat girl. on one hand

but on the other hand

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

1.0 bards had raise since they could cross WHM and raise wasnt restricted.

1.0 bards also had animation lock issues like you wouldn't believe. Im glad there is no more 1.0. None of this is relevant.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Who the hell was talking about 1.0? Nothing from then matters. I was responding to someone who said Paladins could raise, which is correct but only out of combat.

Is there an echo in here?

Hear. Feel. Repeat.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Are people already sick of endgame stuff? I still haven't even hit 60 on my main class and I'm worried there will be no one left around to farm content when I do.

On the other hand, it seems like Alex normal will be less of a frustration for me.

nah, most people have been running it for a few weeks tops, you should be able to find people for whatever.

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Joining the chorus of getting the esoterics chest first. I'd get a greater benefit than others since I still only have the law weapon but I don't care, pretty princess comes first. :sparkles:

normally id save up for a weapon but, dat bard body / head piece, gotta have it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. They'll have this long rear end insane list of abilities.

AFAIK with DRG, I mainly just do Heavy Thrust -> Chaos combo -> Phelbotomize -> Full Thrust Combo then do whatever.

When playing on pad, I did make a couple context sensitive macros to save space. I macroed Power Surge in front of Jump \ Spineshatter and put Flurry and Featherfoot on the same button. I might but Life Surge and Full Thrust on the same button.

Macros seem to be generally frowned upon in this game, but the way I have them set up is when the first ability can't be cast, it'll go to the 2nd on the list. Obviously this doesn't work for anything with a GCD so I still do all my actual attacks manually.

I just hit 54 and I got Blood of the Dragon. I guess that won't come into play much until I get Wheeling Thrust and Fang and Claw, no? I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to set that up. I guess you want to pop Blood of the Dragon right before Chaos Thrust or Full Thrust, no?

Also I'm guessing I can put Geirskogul and Doom Spike on the same button.

I don't ever use Piercing Talon and don't even have that on my hotbar. Maybe I'll throw it on a jump or something when the cooldown for that isn't up.

Thoughts?

Geirskogul should have its own button, its a core rotation ability. its "free" potency so long as you dont gently caress up your rotation, if you use it every other BOD refresh it is an off gcd attack that also happens to hit other enemies, dont confuse it with an AOE primary ability. your rotation will end up looking somewhat like: HT, Phb, 1, 2, BOD, 3, WT / F&C, Geirskogul, From this point you have about 10 seconds on BOD to push out 1,2,3, WT / F&C -> HT, Phb -> if you didnt gently caress up you have enough cooldown left on BOD to 1,2,3, finisher, Geirskogul again.

Basically your new rotation at 60 is all about fighting the cooldown of BOD to throw Geirskogul up as often as you can without losing it while keeping HT and PHB up. The DPS peaks when you can keep it up for an extended period of time are insane.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mayostard posted:

If I resub and start a fresh character, how long would it take on average before I need to get Heavensward? I really want to play, but I can't afford both right now.

depends on how much you poopsock but getting to cap plus leveling a few jobs for additional abilities... a couple weeks? If you only play a few hours a night a month or two.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cainer posted:

This might be different since I am on Gilgamesh and not Excalibur but the two FCs I've been in we had to wait about a month to a month and a half before we found a seller. Both times the cost was about 15-20 mil and that was just for them to relinquish their plot. I don't even want to think about how expensive medium or large houses would be. I'm just happy I found an empty medium plot and jumped on it as fast as I could.

pricing on excal has been signifigantly higher as a casual observer, the population crush inflates the pricing a lot. Twice this easy for excal, maybe more depending on the district.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I got my bard body first.. and gonna get head next, then weapon

:dealwithit:

that is if I don't detour and pick up some drg pieces too. Relics are likely only a few weeks to a month off, gently caress your couch Ill wear what I want.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

A shameful bard.

I thought the hats were the entire point of playing bard.

Klades posted:

Everyone knows bard buys pants first. :v:

These are both valid.

Everyone knows bard gives no poo poo about weapons. They use bows, then bows with harps built into them, have an entire mythos built around bows, but what do they use for limit breaks? A crossbow. The gently caress? Conclusion: bard gives no poo poo what they shoot, so dress dapper.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I never played it, but I think textures / polygons are the one thing 1.0 did better (and also subsequently broke clients / servers because of the resource requirements).

I plan on starting a melee DPS class soon - really not sure which I should pick first. They all look fun - do I wanna be Goku and punch dudes as a monk, jump on dudes as a dragoon, or have sweet hops and crowd control as a ninja? Tough choices here.

yeah those billion polygon cactus copy pasted a million times across a long expanse of nothing were just super.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Bring back 1.0 cat butts

and put them on a new bangaa race.

e:

Mordiceius posted:

From reddit:

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The final solution, merge the classes and weapons!

youre wrong about dps and you should feel bad

but this does bring up the idea of bloodborne style transforming weapons, which would be the poo poo and then the poo poo would take a poo poo that was also the poo poo. weapon mode switch combo strings {Yes please}

• Locked thread