Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't think it's controversial to say that, not only are ad buys still effective, but Trump is not immune to all negative ads. I haven't seen an effective attack ad against Trump but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. I think people are throwing the towel in on this way too easily, considering the last few election cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Oiled and Ready posted:

America, we're having a family meeting. I want too see every one of you in the living room tonight.

this is actually great

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Lord of Pie posted:

Way too many and this isn't even all of them

Sub Zero gets my vote every time

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Where can I get one of those dope "Make Germany Great Again" hats?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I can't find it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

i'm already a demon

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

i will best donald drumpf in single combat

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

I don't know, I have a feeling a lot more "change" would have occurred in the US with a McCain/Palin win, than what we got. With Obama we got status quo, but you can take a look at the House if you feel shortchanged by that.

This is debatable in hindsight but Obama absolutely looked like he would advocate for more change.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

Didn't they actually have control of the House and Senate for like 27 days, due to epic levels of butthurt in the wake of Franken's election to the Senate, and also Joe Lieberman or something?

The controversy comes from the fact that, in the senate, they only had a filibuster-proof supermajority for a limited time, yet still passed obamacare via reconciliation and only required 50 votes. There's a ton of populist legislation that they could have steamrolled through but I dunno, either they didn't want to look like bullies (fox news made them into this anyway) or thought their reign would last a thousand years (it didn't ).

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

You're the second person who has taken that post to mean I was making a statement about Obama in general, rather than the specific situation he found himself in once elected. I think you're both totally right and that with a more cooperative Congress, even a Republican Congress that wasn't so terrible, he would have gone down as one of the best Presidents we ever had. I still believe that to be the case, actually, but it will be more in the sense that he managed to keep government sort-of going in the face of a Congress and an electorate that basically wanted to tear everything apart if it meant tearing him down, too.

In the context of asking why someone who would support Candidate Obama would now support Candidate Trump, it's absolutely more relevant to focus on the change that many of us thought Obama would bring rather than the reality of the past seven years. Kingfish hit the nail on the head, Candidate Trump looks like he'll bring more radical change to Washington than Candidate Bush, Candidate Rubio, or Candidate Clinton.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

Well, they couldn't have literally had a First Hundred Days since the situation you're describing lasted for 27 days. My understanding is they got a lot of poo poo done during the time, actually, but meh. You have something of a point.

I have literally no idea where you're getting this 27 days number from but it's the second time you've brought it up, it's completely incorrect and I suspect that you probably conjured it out of nothing. Democrats held the House for the entire 111th. If you insist on using the 60-seat filibuster-proof threshold to count holding the Senate, the situation existed from July 7, 2009 when Franken was confirmed until February 4, 2010 when Scott Brown was confirmed, with a 30-day gap between the time that Ted Kennedy died and his replacement was confirmed. To just shrug and say "We just couldn't do anything that we wanted in that time" is awful, despite how obstructionist the minority was being.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The real answer is that the NSA tracks and stores as much information as they can about everyone until and even after the law tells them that they cannot. Membership on the Something Awful forums probably gives you a point as being in a slightly pro-Muslim, anti-Israel organization.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Stabbatical posted:

Was he the first person to write a Donald Trump sex novel? He can't have been, could he?

At ten pages long this doesn't come close to qualifying as a novel. There have been several Donald Trump erotic fanfics published on Amazon, the most notable of which is probably Chuck Tingle's "President Domald Loch Ness Tromp Pounds America's Butt"

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Microwaves Mom posted:

This thread has convinced me to spend an hour a day getting drunk and writing trump erotic fanfiction to post on amazon.

it is a career choice you will not regret

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vile posted:

U just got cucked

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Donald Trump posted:

The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

Sounds legit

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Donald Trump posted:

China's excavated — massive, massive — take a look, massive. The biggest excavation. They are ripping the hell out of that ocean. They are ripping it and they are taking their dirt and they are putting it — and they’re building air fields and they’re building forts. We couldn’t do it because, just like I said for the EPA. Legitimately, they could not get an environmental impact statement. Now, that’s probably not the only reason it didn’t happen. I heard their costs were too high. With me, that’s easy. You know, I’m doing the old post office in DC. I’m under budget, I’m ahead of schedule. Hey, look at the campaign. Jeb's at $89 million and he’s down at the bottom. I’m nothing and I’m at the top. It’s the same thing, OK?

I loving love it

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

*nods* Trump.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Horniest Manticore posted:

gently caress you, i want a bullet in this rear end in a top hat's forehead

treason

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

T r a v i s posted:

Would you be for or against being replaced at your job by an illegal immigrant? You don't have to answer seriously if you're afraid to.

TRUMP!

*loses job*

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

User posted:

*nods* Trump.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

CubsWoo posted:

buying plat is another $10 bernie can use to catapult himself to another second place victory, dont be so selfish

made me lol

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fiction posted:

But actually though. Trump is hilarious for what he's doing to the political establishment, but buckle in for a whole lot more of stuff like those guys who beat up the homeless man before it's over and probably after too. Sorry to be a wet blanket about violence against innocent people I guess.

Yeah this is definitely a real problem with the trump campaign and not fearmongering or concern trolling or whatever.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

With disingenuous internet leftists, something happening one time means it happens constantly and will be harped on nonstop unless they're aggressively told they're retarded a lot by somebody with authority.

don't you know, Golden Dawn = Golden Candidate

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I think I'm laughing at this for all the wrong reasons.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
seriously lol to anyone who says islamofascism isn't real because #notallmuslims

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
this thread used to be cool

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
TRUMP

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Just like islamofascism, white nationalism cannot exist because "white" is not a nation and also #notallwhites, thanks majorian for educating the thread.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Trump.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Tough but fair

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Majorian please answer with intellectual honesty and using standard D&D rules why islamofascism isn't real but white nationalism is. I mean if you're going to shitpost in here all day you might as well entertain me a little bit. I've got a full day of work to do but I guess I'll try to check back in four hours or so.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Pre-emptively posting a :smug: to show that I don't believe Majorian's answer will be intellectually honest and in fact will sound as dumb as my claim that white nationalism doesn't exist because #notallwhites

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Helsing posted:

The word accomplishes nothing that isn't better described under the term "Islamist".

Yeah I'll agree with this one but that's not really a point against "islamofascism isn't real"

quote:

If all you want to do is point out that radical Islamists like the Taliban are as creepy and evil as facists then fine, most normal people won't get super pedantic and argue with you because both Islamists and fascists are bad.

My understanding of the definition of fascism isn't "creepy and evil", it's a mentality within a state that it's my way or the highway and also mixed with an inclination toward violence to solve the state's problems. "Islam" isn't a state (yet) but I think it still fits pretty well.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I rescind my :smug: and I'll have a response later tonight.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Violence is cool no matter who does it

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Tomorrow is a Sunday and the weather is supposed to be nice so should I take my young kids to a park or the MacDonald''s play place or should we go to the airport and yell at supporters of an orange man?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm probably straight too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Out of Walker, Jindal, Jeb, Rubio, Christie, and whoever else was an establishment candidate, I really did not expect Kasich to be the Last Man Standing.

• Locked thread