Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Helter Skelter posted:

No, I'm pretty sure we all agree that the rep grind for the big ships is kind of terrible. You just decided to pick a weird hill to die on.

Personally, I was a little surprised that ship transfer is instantaneous, but while I'm fine with it, I also would not be shocked to see that changed by the time the beta rolls around.
Yeah most of the posts about the rep grind in here are asking how to or posting about trying to bypass most of the grind because god drat. So glad I bribed my way to a Corvette when I had the chance.

Also I legit thought that dude was trolling when he first made that post because it was so dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wow you actually thought I was being serious :allears:
I mean to be fair the last person who posted something like that turned out to be actually serious so can you blame him

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

loving 24 hours to transfer ships? :laffo:

loving grogs man. 😂
At that point like, why even have it as a feature? Like, if it's going to take so long what's the point of using it compared to just flying the drat thing yourself?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
For a large ship like the corvette, is it better to get dirty or clean engine upgrades? I'm not too sure about the relation of optimal modifier vs optimal mass.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

timn posted:

Absolutely dirty drives. The impact of the reduced optimal mass is minimal. See this image that was posted earlier. With A-rated thrusters you lose maybe 3-4% when at 150% of your optimal mass. You won't even notice the effect of losing 5-15% optimal mass, and there's no realistic way to fit a Corvette to get under optimal for more gains anyway.

Alright cool. I don't actually know anything about engines other than "bigger engine = better" so the engineer upgrades threw me for a loop.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
How well do missiles do versus shields now? I was thinking of throwing a bunch of missile launchers onto my Asp-E that I use to fly around and gather poo poo for engineers for the hell of it in case I get interdicted but I don't know how well that'd work against shields.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I'm not asking if it's a good idea or whatever I'm asking because the last time I used missiles they literally did 0 (zero) damage to shields and I want to know if post-buff they're now capable of brute forcing through shields or if I should still take a laser or two with me

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

General Battuta posted:

gently caress engineers though, that poo poo sounds horrible.
This is mostly me, but even just unlocking the engineers and using the level 1 mods (because you can't be assed to get the materials for the better ones) is nice for things like thrusters, power plants and FSDs.

Speaking of, I remember a couple pages ago there was discussion about this but I can't find it, what's the best distributor mod assuming I'm going around shooting things?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

TorakFade posted:

can anyone see other actual, honest-to-God cases where it'd be useful with the current 30 min / 100k delay/cost (for an Asp 167ly away)?
Haha at that time you could probably move like 3 ships manually.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Helter Skelter posted:

No, what you buy is what you get, like with SRVs. Each fighter has multiple loadout variants to choose from when purchasing them, however.
Is there a list of fighter loudouts out there somewhere?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

IAmTheRad posted:

I took a look at the ships supporting the fighter bays.

Does it mean the Federal Gunship now has a use?
Gunship always had a use in being baller as hell loaded out with nothing but multicannons and other such gimmicks :colbert:

Helter Skelter posted:

There is now.
Cheers. Good to see the plasma repeaters from CQC coming in to the full game.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Bargearse posted:

I'd be OK with a short delay, like no longer than 5-10 minutes from anywhere in the bubble to anywhere else in the bubble, if the cost was reasonable.
While I think 5-10 minutes would be much more tolerable and preferable compared to a longer delay, there's arguably even less of a point to the delay if it was short. At 30-60m you could at least conceivably be like "oh I'll go shoot something or harvest materials for a little bit" or something, but with a short delay it's just a literal time tax of you sitting with your thumb up your rear end. Mind you I think having any sort of delay is stupid and it really should have stayed instant.

In any case, lmbo at people who campaigned for transfer delays then proceeding to complain about the costs

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah I bribed my way to a Rear Admiral rank when Draconis donate missions were still a thing and I can't imagine how soul sucking trying to get a Corvette normally is

E: Unless Draconis is still a thing I assumed they removed it because gently caress you

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 26, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Boogalo posted:

Fuel used to be prohibitively expensive to the point where the really low bounties you got at the time barely paid for the fuel used to collect them
I'm really glad I picked this game up when it was in 1.3 during a random summer sale because the horror stories of early day earnings sure are something. Back then the only thing that was busted was repair costs and that was a bug they patched like literally the day after I bought the game (it was cheaper to sell my Viper and rebuy it then it was to repair it up from ~40% health). If I played when bounties were like 1k and refuel/repair costs were insane I probably would have given up on the game right there.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Strategic Tea posted:

20 LY is bad but I can't imagine being unable being over 20 from another system to refit

E: bad for a trader anyway
20 LY after buying the biggest FSD (actually according to coriolis it's only 18 LY lol), but it's possible to buy the ship and have an outfitter that doesn't sell you any FSDs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mike the TV posted:

There is a limit to the number of ships in a station since the first beta but no one noticed or cared. As far as consistency, you can only store 30 ships.
No one cares probably because it's 30 ships per station whereas it's 30 modules per account

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Rah! posted:

PSA for anyone running Elite on windows 7:

There's a glitch in 2.2 where once you launch the game, it mutes all other sounds from your computer, so you can't listen to music or watch movies or whatever. But you can fix it by changing your sound card's sample rate to 48kHz (and possibly 96kHz too, but i haven't tried it).

lol :frontear:

Other than that, 2.2 is looking good so far :getin:
I want to blame this on Frontier but the The Division patch that also hit today has this exact same bug so I want to say the bug involves some licensed third-party sound... thing (I have no clue what to call it).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In contrast the Federation grind would be managing a squadron, dealing with ship and supply procurement, patrol routes, keeping the peace, extorting the peasants, etc.
Nah it should be realistic so you'd mainly deal with paperwork, creating edicts that screw over the enlisted, and having to deal with the fact that some dumbfuck space marine raped someone. Again.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So have they said if they're going to keep the engineer recipes how they are right now? I'm actually bothering with the higher grade engineer recipes because I no longer have to tear my hair out trying to get the correct commodities and then ferrying them over to the required engineer. I'm hoping they just stay like this because it's nice.

Also I recall a while back the devs were talking about being able to claim bounties from outside their jurisdiction at the cost of only getting a portion of the bounty. Did they actually get added, and if so, how do I find this service?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mu77ley posted:

I haven't heard any indication that this will change any time soon.

Yes, they do already exist (and you pay off fines remotely too). If you look in the system map, details for the facilities at a station will list "Broker Network". They'll appear on the Contacts section of the Station Services if a station has it.

I know for a fact (as I've used it) that there's one in Van Royen Vision in HIP 10716.
Alright cool; I checked a couple of stations randomly and didn't see and had no clue if it said anything on the services tab so I figured I'd ask. Also glad to hear that the engineer recipes will probably stay this way for a while since it's much, much better.

Another question though: is it possible to plot your route with restrictions now (like say, only plotting to scoopable stars)? I recall hearing about more advanced route plotting back when 2.2 was going to be released but I couldn't see anything and don't know if I hear correctly or not.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

tooterfish posted:

It is quite big, yes.

It does have damage states where you can see bits of the inside. It seems no one ever screenshots that poo poo though, maybe the new camera will help.

There is some old (pre alpha) footage of them where you can see the tessellated cargo holds quite nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw&t=45s
I've got ya covered fam

It's a shame that the Anaconda is the only ship with this type of damage modelling cause it's cool as hell.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So is it possible to have another player fly a fighter, and have you, the owner of the ship, fly another fighter while your AI crew member flies the main ship?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mercurius posted:

Unfortunately not as the Helm role (owner of the ship) is always limited to flying the ship. You can let both players take the fighter con role (meaning two human controlled fighters) and leave the turrets in control of the AI as previously though.

The AI doesn't count against your limit of 3 (you can have you + 2 players + 1 NPC pilot to make 4 total) but while you're in a multicrew session the owner of the ship always has to fly it.
That's super lame and I hope they change it at some point. I was hoping to directly fly fighters with friends but since I'm the only one who has ships with hangars I'm stuck flying the space boats. In fact I hope FD eventually lets me give the helm to a buddy so they get to fly the ship and experience the Python/Corvette without having to grind the money/rep.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Krycek posted:

For space games, I always use the x axis for yaw. If I'm playing X-Plane, x axis is set to roll. Is that weird? Aren't the default controls to have joystick x-axis do yaw?
That makes sense in most spacesims because yaw is the primary way of turning but I personally think that it doesn't make as much sense in Elite because Elite specifically emphasizes rolling to turn. But I mean hey if it works for you go for it dude.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
When I started I enjoyed earning money right up to the point where I had a fully fitted Vulture, at which point the amount of money required to upgrade to what was essentially the next ship (Python, this was back in 1.3) jumps by an absurd amount. Then it became a chore. Now I'm glad I can pretty much afford whatever when I feel like it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Best part of ship transfer wait times is slow boating your un-engineered Corvette some place and still getting there faster than if you had transfered it

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
They should just move the modules to engineers (like those special size 2/3 engines some of them sell) and be done with it

Or you know just freely available period but I'd accept them being sold by the appropriate engineers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

DatonKallandor posted:

Warrant Scanners explicitly call into a galactic database at FTL speeds.
And yet for some reason I can't even look up what's on sale one station over in the same system without flying to it

• Locked thread