Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I watched the first episode of Origin last night and it was cool. It felt a bit like a wackier LotGH story.

I wonder if it says something that I immediately recognised Char but I don't remember anything about the protagonist of the original series...

It's not too weird. Char is much more iconic than Amuro, and he's initially much cooler. Char's the badass Zeon ace in a custom uniform with a hidden agenda.

Amuro is a teenager who spends most of his time in a PTSD breakdown or trying to hide his PTSD breakdowns by being an rear end in a top hat. But as the series goes on, Amuro grows into the most talented pilot in the setting, an empathetic hero, and a mature adult (who still has serious PTSD and some interpersonal issues.) while Char's own piles of problems become more obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Before E posted:

What's some stuff with a similar tone to Kaiji, either animated or manga? I'm already working through Fukumoto's other work and loving Kurosawa, Legend Of The Strongest.

You might have seen it already, but there's an spin-off for Kaiji that got an anime about Tonegawa.

Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues. It's fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

poronty posted:

I'm an old that's incredibly out of the loop with anime. I got completely burnt out on it about 20 years ago and pretty much abandoned the whole genre. Haven't seen anything new since, and I'm still not particularly keen on getting back into anything that's got the regular cookie cutter anime stylings going on, but I wouldn't be against checking out something that's a bit different, visually unique and a bit more adult / less kiddie than your regular anime fare.

Last show I remember really liking was Oruchuban Ebichu, which I thought was refreshingly different and weird and hilarious; I'd love to find out if anything in a similar vein has come out in the past, I dunno, decade...

You might be interested in Odd Taxi.

A walrus drives a taxi and gets caught up in a conspiracy eventually involving the Yakuza, an idol group, a wannabe social media superstar, and a comedy duo called the Homosapiens.

Very distinct, clever plot, just finished.

Maybe Tatami Galaxy for something a bit older. A college student groundhog days his education in hopes of finding the perfect rosy college experience. Fast paced dialog, unique art style. Masaaki Yuasa's gotten to be something of a name, and with a show like that one, you can see why.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jinpachistar posted:

Starting to get back into watching anime again; any recommendations for short-episode series? Doesn’t have to be comedies, but I loved stuff like Teekyu and Inferno Cop.

I'm giving another vote for Luluco (and its predecessor FLCL, if you haven't seen it somehow. Full length, but only six episodes). If you like Konosuba (a fun semi-parody isekai) then you might get some mileage out of Isekai Quartet, a crossover between a bunch of isekai series. It's not great, but some of the gags land well, and it's short.

For a non-comedy, Time of Eve is a really good science fiction short series. It's set in the future where humanoid robots are common, at a cafe where no-one is allowed to note who's flesh and blood. Some comedy, some drama, some tragedy, you know. Pretty well rounded for six episodes.

Also, I'd highly recommend the Japan Animator Expo. A ton of talented people doing all kinds of shorts. Some are good, some suck, but they're all quick, and some of them were acclaimed enough to lead to full serieses.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ahobday posted:

Hello I'm looking for the following:
+ Regular, good fight/action scenes
+ People with powers, or mechs
+ Light-hearted-ish
+ Ideally something with compilation movies available if it's long

Things I'd like to avoid:
– Characters screaming about their problems constantly
– Filler. I realise this rules out the majority of famous anime with good fight scenes

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord
✓ Loads of others I probably forget. I'll edit this list as people suggest things I've seen

Gunbuster and Diebuster have some amazing fights at just six episodes each. Might be good for mech action. Not purely lighthearted, but they're some of the predecessors to Gurren, so that might be your speed.

SAO: Gun Gale Online has some really fun crazy fights, and since it's all a game, you're encouraged to just laugh when people die horribly. One cour, quick and fun.

FLCL, which I can't describe better than saying it's both Fooley and Cooley. It's weird, it's fun, it's well animated, it's a coming of age story. It's just what you need when nothing amazing is ever happening.

Mazinkaizer SKL is basically what happens if Mazinger was Getter Robo. Sociopathic protagonists, lots and lots of really good looking fights, only three episodes, not a thought in its head. Sure, people die, but what matters is if swords or guns are cooler.

Big O: Batman in Dark City, but he has a giant robot. Only it's weirder than that.

(Also, Batman's main love interest is a robot.)

Patlabor OVAs: 7 episodes. They're police. They have giant robots. They have paperwork for the property damage the giant robots inevitably cause. Lighthearted, well animated, well written. And if you want more, you have a full length show available for followup. (Also, a couple movies, but they go a little more serious.)

Those should be enough to start, I hope. I've got a much longer list, but all at once feels a bit excessive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ahobday posted:

Incredible. I haven't seen any of these except for FLCL. Will give them a try.

Diebuster's by the team behind FLCL, and shares some themes. If you like FLCL, you've got good odds for Diebuster.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terry van Feleday posted:

I'm looking for anime to watch with my mom. She likes shows that are kind & fairytale-like, with a focus on strong, charming characterwork, and enjoyed Land of the Lustrous, Princess Tutu, and Place Further than the Universe, while finding Mushishi morose & lacking in the character department. What are some shows that would come to mind as being sweet fairytales, or in that general register?

Outside bet, but maybe Mob Psycho 100 or Future Boy Conan?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Further to that, I'm interested in reading more manga set outside of Japan, preferably post-highschool and modernish day rather than historical
Things I've read/watched already:
* Pretty much all of Naoki Urasawa's series that are set in Europe
* Zero: Man of Creation
* Lost Man
* Space Brothers
* Michiko and Hatchin
* Eden of the East

Planetes is mostly set in space, but there's plots set in the United States as well as in Japan.

If you want something even more action movie, there's the three episode Gunsmith Cats OVA for basically an anime of a 90s action movie, complete with a Chicago setting.

Lupin's globetrotting, so there should be something you'd like.

Those any help?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Planetes is one of my faves. I've never really tried Lupin, but I've been meaning to watch the newer series cos I really like the style.

The latest three Lupins (counting the upcoming one) have all been set in a different European country, so that might help pick a started.

Part 4 is in Italy, part 5 is in France, and part 6 this fall is in the UK.

(Part 5 also acts as a kind of general Lupin tribute, with a lot of different authors doing one-shots in various Lupin eras, including the creator of Kino's Journey and the writer of Final Fantasy 7.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be aware the first episode kinda speed-runs through a bunch of the time periods the show takes place in and settles in proper from the second episode onward.

Also absolutely watch the dub, it's fantastic.

"Thank you! gently caress you! The star is here!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You want quick pacing, I think you should check out Chainsaw Man.

Only 97 chapters for Part 1, and it ends on a good note (even if there's going to be a sequel series eventually). Fights do get crazy, but usually the protagonist wins with relatively simple, clever, stupid tactics, even if big showy moves let him survive long enough to seal the deal.

The humor is on point, the main characters are distinct, and the protagonist, while not a saint, is a decent, straightforward guy in the middle of a lot of morally suspect government agencies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

read or die movie, real drive, gits, steamboy, diebuster, hellsing ultimate, kite liberator, mezzo forte

Don't forget FLCL. 2000-2001.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Astro Boy 2003 literally yesterday has well translated english subs and it's probably the best looking animation ever made for television

I remember quite liking it when it came out, but that's a pretty impressive claim. I guess I'll have to go back to it to confirm if it's true.

(Eventually).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Been extremely bored so I tried browsing for relatively high rated stuff on MAL that I haven't seen yet. Any strong opinions on any of the following?

Erased
From the New World
Lull in the Sea
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

From the New World and Anohana are both really good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Finally got around to watching Anohana and I enjoyed it a lot. Any other melodramas to suggest? Modernish setting preferred, Mari Okada a plus, and if it matches the change in season that'd be great. I watched Totadora around this time last year and it went well with the temperature starting to dip into the single digits.

Iron Blooded Orphans has some great scenes set in the snow if you haven't seen it, but it mixes the Mari Okada melodrama with futuristic giant robot warfare, which might not be what you're in the mood for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

IBO is set on Mars and has no weather associated with winter

But they go to Earth later.

And Carta issue dies in the snow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I want to give a shout out to Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War for not only being one of the best anime I’ve ever seen, but praise it for not succumbing to fan service, which it could have easily done.

They do have heavy fan service in the OVA, which adapts chapters that parodied the manga's default lack of fanservice. But yeah. It's surprisingly light on that normally.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

just finished fma:b and reading Berserk. Any good indie or low profile cosmic horror/occult manga or animep?

It's as far from indie and low profile as you get, and you've probably seen if it's your thing already, but...

You have tried Chainsaw Man, right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

The world map is pretty funny, somehow Canada managed to annex Russia instead of allying with the United States.

There's actually a reason for that, although you only see it if you pause when the show's giving one of the incredibly detailed English text dumps in the background. (There's a couple of those moments in season 1.)

Basically, the modern power blocks in the show were arranged by Gjallarhorn at the conclusion of an apocalyptic war. As the only surviving military power, Gjallarhorn basically shoved countries together to keep things manageable, with territory on Mars as the carrot and Gundams as the stick.

And yeah. PD suits stay tough. Even when they explode you sometimes see a mostly intact suit after. It's just that the pilot has to be hosed off the wall.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The three beats are, of course, "Wing sucks!", "Wing is ironically good", and "Wing is good"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The Leo is one of the greatest fodder mobile suits in existence and I love that Hiro kept trying to suicide blow up his own gundam and then did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94

This blew my mind when I first saw it

It shocked the writers, too.

The director thought it would be badass, and they had to scramble to make the plot fit. One of the writers compared the process unfavorably to his time having to do weekly Naruto filler. (A rather rough job itself.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

My fav part in Gundam Wing is when the Heavyarms guy applies for a circus job

My dude brought his fake resume but didn't put any circus related stuff on it

Maybe it's his real resume.

It mostly consists of variants on "freelance terrorist".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That Works posted:

Ohh good call

Yeah, I was about to suggest that.

For manga, you've also got Kabu No Isaki if you want more in the same tone from the same author. It's not post-apocalyptic, but it has the same calm, isolated tone in a world where civilization is in distant pockets within the wilderness.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Inspired by this outstanding video from Hazel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF-XaCPqjqE - I was looking for some more examples of great, schlocky, gorey, kinda trashy single episode OVAs from the 80s and 90s. We watched a bunch of the ones in the video, but Hazel mentions she hasn't seen a lot of mechs and stuff and wondered if anyone had any recommendations in that direction.

They're not all as schlocky or trashy, but I've been kind of making a habit of watching old mech one-shots over the past couple years, so I might be able to help a bit. Sticking to older one shots...

Good Morning Althea has some nudity, but is low on hyperviolence. It's the future, humanity had a war between psychics and non-psychics, psychics won and now there's resentment from the non-psychic members of ship crews as they work together to explore the galaxy. A distress signal leads a ship's crew to near destruction, so the ragtag survivors have to learn to get along if they want to save their MIA buddies. A bit complicated for the runtime, and not great, but not absolutely terrible either.

Ladius is terrible and trashy. Again, not much of the old hyper-violence, and I don't remember much nudity, but it's a generic fantasy-mechs-sci-fi mishmash that thinks its protagonist is the coolest when he's just kind of a tool. Pretty skippable.

Relic Armor Legaciam probably isn't what you want, since it's not trying to be trashy. Miyazaki inspired science fiction with strong Valley of the Wind influences, it's about a young girl piloting a mech her grandpa made to save him from the government forces (who have somewhat sympathetic motives for wanting to steal his mech.) It's one of the better old OVAs I've seen, even if it feels incomplete with an ending that ends the main conflict of the previous story, but doesn't quite resolve the setting's issues.

Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven, by contrast, are purestrain trash. Violence, sexual content, pointless bleakness, awful animation... basically, if you're looking for terrible anime, this is what you want, especially since you can finish both of them in under 45 minutes.

Speaking of 45 minutes, Gundam SEED: Stargazer is from the early 2000s, but it does have the war-is-hell violence of this kind of trash anime, combined with a decent story and characters. Might be worth a poke.

And while we're looking at large franchises, VOTOMS has Big Battle, Last Red Shoulder, Case Irvine, Origins of Ambition, and Finder as semi-standalone one-shots. They vary in quality and standalone-ness, in addition to being released across decades, but they do have some nice action, grit, and occasional mega gore.

Power Dolls has two standalone mech OVAs about an all women unit of mech pilots, based on a strategy game. The second one has some of what you're looking for, if I remember right. Wasn't all that good, but it's mildly interesting from a historical prospective.

Cybernetics Guardian is right dead center in your requests. Trashy, violent, stupid, released in '89, centers around a mech suit being possessed by a demon... seriously, it's perfect for this.

Meanwhile, Techno Police 21C isn't perfect for anything. It's basically the A-team in tone with robots and less likable characters.

Probably better to go with the first two Megazones. Released years apart, with different teams and character designs, Megazone part II is very much an 80s trash anime. It's not good, like, at all, but it has mechs, pointless violence, nudity, drinking, and angry rebellion against THE MAN, MAN!

Appleseed (1988) is a bad adaptation of a good manga.

And finally, for the moment, Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 is about a dumb teenager getting stuck in a mech and piloting it to try to see his girlfriend at the airport before she leaves for London, and the military's attempts to get their robot back. Pretty middling, but hey. It's an early work of Hideaki Anno as key animator. That's something!

Hopefully, there's something there that should fit your needs. I've got a lot more mech OVAs, but they're mostly more episodes, newer, less trashy, or some other combination of the three.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh, I've just remembered a set I do like, actually. Look up a two-parter called Orguss 02.

Some good characters and a neat setting. Also, it's a spin-off of Macross and the events that happen in that series. Though really that's just a neat little thing that factors in little.

It's a six parter, which is why I didn't bring it up, but yeah. It's good. Kinda weak mech fights, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Boogiepop and Others

actually was a polarizing show at the time, but if you liked Sonny Boy i think it's worth going back to check out. it's not working with the otherworldly bright palettes of Sonny Boy, but does keep the grounded feel to character designs and movement, and the final arc does have some alternate dimension stuff that wouldn't be out of place in Sonny Boy.

I think it has the same director as well?

I mean, I ditched after four episodes because the structure was awkward and the character designs were too bland to keep track of things, especially with a cast that big, and what I saw from novel readers said that it ditched a lot of the heart, but it might be worth a look for Sonny Boy fans.

For an outside pick, maybe Wave: Listen to Me? It's about a woman who, after a bad breakup, accidentally gets a late night radio show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

If you wanna see school girls being horrible jerks, I'd recommend Asobi Asobase.

If you want to see them tend bar instead, Hinamatsuri.

(Manga's better and more complete, but the anime is still pretty funny.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LionYeti posted:

I can take or leave the comedy in FMP, its more for the fun giant robot action.

Iron Blooded Orphans has pretty fun giant robot action, assuming you prefer brutal melee fights to lasers and high speed teleporting. It also, like FMP, has a protagonist who'll just shoot people if he's not in a robot.

(Which is handy, because about half the episode don't have any mech fights.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One Punch Man seems like the obvious choice, in as much as the anime and manga play with and have fun with the concept, Saitama being an unstoppable superman is still a p big core power fantasy of at least the early arcs

He's also lazy, depressed, and kinda dumb. Not a perfect fit, despite Saitama being the best at punching by far. Even at the beginning, it's clear that Saitama's power isn't much fun for him. Maybe Lupin? He's a superhero, after all. The hero of today.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thoren posted:

What are some manga/anime with Stupid loving Abilities like Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, etc.?

Just give me the most convoluted and over-the-top poo poo please. Long winded explanations, total rear end pulls, sudden jumps in power levels, you name it.

I want to say Chainsaw Man, because it's amazing and it has some pretty great crazy powers, but mostly it tends to have ones with pretty quick, easy to understand explanations.

Like, if a dude is powered by the zombie devil, he makes zombies, the blood devil can control blood, that kind of thing. The manga seldom goes with the long winded explanations even for the crazier tactics.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

i dont think the lead of black clover was mad about his lovely dad

I mean, he wants to gently caress his mother figure, so that covers the other half of an oedipal complex.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for a show where the decisions made by the main cast carry some weight and have clear consequences, good and bad. Not picky about genre.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans has the main cast make choices without fully understanding the situation, causing massive consequences, good and bad, for the entire solar system. That sound like what you're looking for?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Actually yes, that is pretty much spot on. Is it a decent mix of action and politics? I fine if it tilts a little heavier in either direction but preferably not too heavy in the politics side.

On average, there's a big mech fight scene every two episodes, with occasional on-foot combat in between.

There's politics, but it's usually advanced by people in giant robots brutally murdering each other.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

s1 is action biased and s2 is politics biased

maybe for the worse in the case of the latter. but the show is liked enough overall that i'd just say try it for yourself

I mean, season 2 has more action than season 1, including a whole episode that's basically just a three way fight between a pirate fleet, the protagonists, and the Earth's military. It's just the politics come home to roost for the protagonists in season 2 after they spent season 1 being able to mostly brute force through on the fact no-one expected them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jaxic posted:

Looking for some new content to watch.

Seem most the mainstream things,

Naruto, Bleach (till they gave up on it), DBZ (most but not all), Berserk, Random Netflix ones.

Recently: Slime, arcane, Sword art online (down hill after the first season IMO).

Not everything I have seem but the ones that come to mind and were enjoyable.

Used to have some friends that were always on top of good new stuff but they are doing their own thing now.

If you want something fast and recent, there's Odd Taxi. It's about a walrus looking guy. He drives a taxi. The yakuza, the idol industry, a gacha game addict, crooked police, and a couple of standup comics get involved.

It's real good.

For SAO, if you haven't seen Alternative: Gun Gale Online, it might be fun. Different cast, lighter plot, lots of crazy people.

Really, there's a world of options. Any genre you're interested in to narrow things down? (Like, for giant robots, I recommend Gundam IBO or the UC if you want something longer, and Gridman and Dynazenon if you want something shorter.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't think I finished any seasonals I enjoyed this year so I won't be posting. Have fun everyone

Watch Odd Taxi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finished "Odd Taxi". I found enjoyable, but the last couple of episodes weren't as good as the beginning. I found it too unrealistic how Odokawa was plotting against all of these high level mob figures right under their noses and they barely suspected anything for the most part. I did like the animal world and the tone of the show. Had mixed feelings about the twist. Don't recall too much foreshadowing with that.

There was a lot. Including, but not limited to how Odokawa was able to ID people at a glance, which kept shocking people. If they were actually those animals, then "That's a gorilla" would make spotting someone in a crowd much easier.

And Odokawa was continually shown to be quick thinking and savvy, while most people just wrote him off since he's short, unambitious, and grouchy. There's nothing about him that says "smartest guy in the room" on the surface, and he pretended to go along with everyone jerking him around until he had a counterplay, so there was no clear warning sign until he had things in motion. (And even then, he screwed up and nearly got killed more than once.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't all good for him; He couldn't tell the difference between an actual cat and a human girl.

Also major sleeping difficulties. Those sucked.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait wait wait...what the gently caress was going on with that cat then? Did he think he had some "human" pet?

Well, there was a missing girl who he saw as a black cat. And then a black cat showed up at his house.

He basically didn't know if he had a stray animal, or if he'd kidnapped a person, or what. It's why he was so nervous about people finding something in his house, and why it was such a moment of relief for him to confirm that, no. It was just a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

If my only exposure to Lupin III is The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I loved it to death, where else should I go from there to appreciate the franchise? I understand that has a more arthouse-y tone compared to its legacy, but I still enjoyed the art, music, and how the characters were interpreted within that framework.

Well, the obvious next step would be the followup films that kept the same style, Jigen's Gravestone, Goemon's Blood Spray, and Fujiko's Lie. No Mari Okada, but they have the same director and character designs, and keep the same tone. Once you're done with those, it depends on what you're looking for in general. Part VI is the current series, and you can drop in mostly fresh, but I've been mostly disappointed with it so far.