Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sharktamer posted:

Haha Zamasu is Frank Grimes.

This is the most totally accurate one line description of the Goku Black arc I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's pretty insanely impatient to expect a species to move from "barely sapient punching each other over food/mates" to "enlightened society of peace" within 1000 years. Gowasu is a pretty big idiot if that was going to be his big example to Zamasu.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Condiv posted:

would you wanna hang out with goku? he might punch you

Considering Goku attracts planet-busting villains like a fly strip attracts flies, bringing an infant near him is probably a bad plan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

They almost beat him. Black was winning easily (and only powering up even further every time to the point not even he knew what the gently caress he was doing anymore), and the Mafuba failed anyways. Even if it had worked, Black would've murdered everyone and freed his other self.

Here not only was Zamasu nearly sealed, Black was getting destroyed by Vegeta. Zamasu had all the right to freak out because his plans would fail at that rate, something Goku outright points out.

I don't know, it feels like it works fine to me. Zamasu had no idea what the hell the Mafuba was, so it's pretty plausible for him to be rattled and think that it's possible that they could have Mafuba'd Black right after they finished with Zamasu. That belief is more than enough for Zamasu to go "okay gently caress it playtime's over let's end this poo poo".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I figured DBZ was like D&D and the gods had epic damage reduction which Goku unlocks by going Super Saiyan God/Blue and that's why he can suddenly hurt them.

Otherwise the power scale is SSJG = SSJ1 and SSJB = SSJ2 in terms of actual damage.

And power level is bulls hit because it averages damage and attack bonus and doesn't account for skills, feats or spells.

DR 10,000/Majin Buus

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've just caught up on the Tournament of Power and I absolutely love how they can't help but have Goku Black's mannerisms leak into normal Goku.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Black and Goku switched cloths off screen when Trunks was trapping Zamasu in a jar. It has been Black the whole time.

To be honest this would actually be completely believable. Clearly Black realized that there was no way he'd be able to get the Zero Ningen plan done under Zeno's nose so he decided to work within the system. He's doing an excellent job so far, what with damning at least 7 universes and their gods.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aurora posted:

Entitled gamers will be piss babies as usual

It's not an entertainment company's job to mandate whether or not people spoil their content. If I wanted to stream a game to show a friend how that game played or whatever and I couldn't because the company had a "no spoilers pls!" policy I would be annoyed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It occurs to me that it's probably for the best that they wrote Future Trunks out of the story because he probably would not at all be down with Goku playing brinksmanship with the existence of the universe in order to get an adrenaline high.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku wasn't doing that, he just wanted some fights and was too stupid to think that his pal zen chan would make the stakes what they were

he even got justified later by the high priest saying they were gonna do it anyway and goku actually gave some of them a chance at living through it

Who's to say when he would do it, or if he wouldn't change his mind? The Trunksverse Zen-chan couldn't be assed to bestir himself even when Zamasu was flying around murdering all the gods. I get the feeling that Zen-chan doesn't really take initiative on his own very much, which is why Beerus threatened to loving kill Goku if Goku poked him; if you don't specifically attract his attention there is a 99.999% chance he'll just leave you alone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Buu was awesome this episode, the preview also has me really hype for 17 to finally return. I'm glad they're making this into as big a deal as it seems like it should be

Gohan really needs to get a Piccolo style outfit now that he's training under him again though

I really don't understand why Gohan wears the Goku-style outfit. Goku's his dad but Piccolo taught him everything he knows.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rudoku posted:

He's not 9 anymore and that getup looks like crap on him now.

I think it would look neat on him now that he doesn't have a loving bowl cut. Maybe ditch the cape though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoy that the overriding theme of Dragonball Super is that almost everyone in Dragonball could be tougher than Goku if they trained a whole lot.

Clearly the baseline Saiyan template is so weak that they need to bust their asses constantly and go through endless training with the gods themselves in order to match up to what someone from the Freeza or Buu races can do with six months and a bowflex.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Goku needs to go back in time and learn about ring out tournaments from his younger self, he used to have all kinds of crazy tricks.

Maybe use the dragon to wish for his tail back.

This is the funniest thing about this arc about Goku going around and getting schooled. Goku has more tournament experience than most of these jokers put together bar possibly Krillin, he shouldn't need ring-out tournament advice from Majin loving Buu.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elfgames posted:

i don't think goku ever won anything but prelims by ring out he always knocked dudes out.

Yeah, but the lesson's he's been getting boil down to "pay attention to not getting knocked out of the arena, jackass", not how to attack people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Buu using his strech tactfully makes me really hope that he and Piccolo combine their strechy powers to be both very powerful technical offense and a good saftey net for the team guarding against ring outs. Harlem Globetrotters this poo poo up Toei, they have the moves to be really good team players.

Also Goku's gonna be their biggest liability. He's gonna forget about the rules constantly throughout the early fights because all he still cares about is glory hogging good fights against strong dudes all for himself.

To be honest, Goku being a giant fire magnet isn't a liability as long as he can avoid getting knocked out. If every super strong dude is trying to kick Goku's rear end that gives the rest of the squad plenty of time to wipe out the weaker opponents while their stronger buddies are trying to beat up Universal Supervillain Son Goku.

This is where Krillin and Piccolo could be super useful to the team because they're no match for monsters like Toppo or someone like how Jiren is being built up, but they're super smart and should be able to clown on the B-listers.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 9, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Piccolo killed Goku.

Little did we realize that this was a preemptive act of heroism.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I still really like the Kaioken because it's a bullshit powerup with an actual legit good reason why Goku doesn't use it immediately in every fight instead of Goku playing with his opponents.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

I thought the weirdest episode of Dragonball Super was when they showed a three second loop of Broly punching Beerus in the groin for 22 minutes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dias posted:

Buu, Videl, Pan, Gohan. Seems fair.

Piccolo also because he spends a significant amount of his time babysitting Pan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

eonwe posted:

dragonball is good

I feel weird when I watch the show because the fights are the least interesting parts to me; I really just love watching all these characters bounce off each other. Even in really punchman-focused relationships like the one between Goku and Hit, it's really fun watching Goku basically draw Hit out of his taciturn shell into an endless game of one-upmanship to the point where Hit is doing goofy poo poo like yelling to power up because he saw Goku do it or Goku hiring Hit to assassinate himself to give Hit a reason to go at 100%.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aurora posted:

Actually some of the best moments are also when they're fighting. See Goku vs Tien, or Jackie Chun vs Tien.

Oh, definitely. A lot of the coolest character moments to me often happen as a direct result of the fights, like the Goku/Hit interaction I mentioned. Krillin is my second favorite character in Super after Vegeta and my absolute favorite moment for him was when he was literally shaking after his beam duel with SSB Goku.

I'm just less interested in the punching and who is stronger to punch harder and more interested in what happens to the characters as result of the punching.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

Let's be honest both forms of the tournament were pure garbage.

Super only got worth watching when Future Trunks returned.

Frost and Magetta owned.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Last I checked 17 had infinite energy, something not even Beerus has.

We've never actually seen Beerus fight super seriously. During Battle of Gods he was sandbagging the entire time, and even sandbagging he nearly blew up the universe by virtue of how hard he was punching Goku. He'd probably give Beerus a nice warmup, though, given that he was able to go pretty decently against SSB.

As an aside, I really love how Beerus can effectively flip flop between "lazy gluttonous idiot comic relief clown" and "terrifying menace" and have it actually stick, sometimes within the same scene.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

dr gero would have made a pretty good mad scientist in resident evil when you think about it

Honestly, Cell is a few giant eyeballs and exposed tendons away from pretty much being a Resident Evil Final Boss.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Dr. Gero was far, far too competent of a scientist to work for the Umbrella Corporation...

Which really says a lot, considering Gero was killed by his own creation.

I don't know, I think that makes him exactly competent enough to work for the Umbrella Corporation. Umbrella was really good at making ridiculous unstoppable death machines that they had no real ability to control and kept getting thwarted by a musclebound fighter and his gaggle of friends operating outside the law.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I'm catching up and did Whis just perform an impromptu, unrequested magical c-section on Bulma. :psyduck:

The best part about it was Bulma being so amazed at how painless and quick it was that she talked about getting Whis back if she ever gets pregnant again. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I enjoy that the upcoming tournament has basically thrown Beerus into an extravagant self-pitying sulk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Nozawa voiced both characters but she noticeably changed her speech patterns and inflections for Goku vs Goku Black. You could do it without the Posh British Accent but Goku and Goku Black should sound different.

I think it's sort of unjustly baked into American popular culture that smug superior douchebaggery instantly calls to mind some sort of posh European accent, so the directing went for the easy road.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

the first few tournaments painted goku as a really clever fighter but dbz is more about hitting each other really fast and shooting lasers than it is about that stuff

which is why this tournament with rules that the heroes can't just walk out on is interesting. I'm not expecting goku vs jackie chun levels of fun and inventive moves but that's fine

Goku is ridiculously clever in a fight, he just doesn't really waste time coming up with goofy moves when his normal repertoire works fine. His cleverness comes from being basically a savant at seeing through his opponents' tricks and gimmicks so he can counter them with his own significantly more basic moveset. This is why the Hit fights are so cool, because Hit is functionally unbeatable with simple brute force so Goku has to do completely insane things like literally defibrillate himself with a ki blast after Hit kills him simply to try to figure out how to get around Hit's moves so he can apply Kamehameha to Hit's face.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

And then for the finale he just powers up so much he can punch through dimensions.

Well, he had to figure out that Hit was hiding himself in another dimension first.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

My favorite part of the entire episode is loving Beerus, The Literal God of Destruction, being afraid to tell the truth about the universes being erased because he's afraid that Bulma will yell at him.

Bulma is the best.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

The funniest joke in the episode is Gohan asking when Piccolo acquired this strange new stretching power.

I think Gohan's confusion was more "whoa Piccolo when did you gain the ability to beat the poo poo out of super saiyans like it ain't no thang". Piccolo wasn't even clearly being overpowered at any point and winning purely through trickery like Krillin was doing, he was pretty much going pound for pound with Gohan and then adding trickery on top to make sure he won.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rudoku posted:

Buu has the same healing power as Dende, otherwise Mr.Satan and Bee would've died to gunshot wounds.

Piccolo can actually be depended on to do intelligent things in support of his teammates, whereas Buu is sort of a "point in the general direction of your enemies and let him go" force of nature. I don't think Mr. Satan is going to be there to ask him to heal Goku after Goku gets pummeled by the four universes combined.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Given how much of a gigantic teamkilling dickhead Freeza was and how underhanded Frost is shown to be, it wouldn't be surprising if Frost beat up/killed the people he hired to invade planets while "liberating them" to avoid having to pay them/for the fun of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Piccolo has always been as strong as a super saiyan since he absorbed Kami, and it's not like he's sat around doing nothing unlike bitch boy Gohan.

He clowned on SS2, which was definitely above and beyond him post-Kami. This arc is all about how power is meaningless if you're a moron though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

Do they even need a wish? Bulma could build another one.

With all the world-destroying terrors Bulma has seen first hand and how lackadaisical her friends are at dealing with them, I'm surprised that Bulma didn't pull a Dr. Gero and start looking into making combat androids, except instead of killing Goku their mission would be to protect the Earth.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

Imagine if the robot from the last tournament has now spent some time in therapy and is no longer so vulnerable to name-calling.

He might be pretty mean in a match where people aren't allowed to fly.

Also imagine how mean the bear would be in a tournament without ring out rules.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sefal posted:

Weird that Vegeta isn't interested in the kaoiken

Yeah, a technique where you become exponentially stronger at the cost of potentially killing yourself if you don't control it perfectly basically seems tailor made for Vegeta. I'm pretty sure he'd make a hobby out of trying to maintain SSB Kaioken longer than Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Kaioken quite literally IS the hard way of doing things. It's a technique that literally kills you if you gently caress it up, and how long you can use it and how effective it is depends entirely on your personal skill and control; even with perfect control you can only delay it kicking your rear end. Hell, the entire reason why Goku stopped using it was because it was way, way harder than Super Saiyan to use.

• Locked thread