Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

What I'm really saying is that Trunks should have been a robot.

Are we sure he isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

This is not true.

Name one good fan film

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

I dunno, Goku didn't beat Buu because he thought the Earth needed to be able to defend itself without him. Of course, the Earth showed that it's full of fuckups, so he had to do it himself anyway, but he didn't know that would happen.

That's a really loving stupid reason though.

"I better not stop this murderer even though I can because people need to help themselves"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Twiddy posted:

In the hypothetical scenario where Krillin has to train a new manga protagonist, I imagine Goku's the one he sends the kid to after the protag has to stop a new world ending threat.

This setup works eerily well.

And then Goku teleports in and instantly solves the problem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do people even care? It's not like any of this stuff has ever made that much sense before.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

Did Goku go regular SSJ or SSJBlue?

Regular.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

All*

Goku fought Nazis, a Demon King, Space Hitler, Evil Android Made By Nazis, Eviler Demon King and The Literal Embodiment of Destruction, and somehow the last one is the more nuanced out of the list.

Tien was an antagonist at some point and he wasn't really evil for evil's sake.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Covok posted:

I wonder if the kids watching the show gave a poo poo.

Nah, nevermind: they didn't.

Well maybe they should have!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe making yourself into an android is difficult. Like scratching your own back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Please stop the racism

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

they're the same person

And future trunks somehow still manages to be a lot worse

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's also neat because we haven't had a character stronger than Goku and not malevolent since the days of Dragon Ball. All the guys in Dragon Ball Z who are out and out stronger than Goku are straight up villains like Raditz, Freeza, and Cell. Beerus is kind of a dick but he's not a bad guy.

Beers literally blows up planets and causes genocide on a huge scale.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beerus is absolutely a bad guy. He's just a bad guy that happens to somewhat like the protagonists.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Vegeta is wrong, Goku will always be there to save the day. No need for anyone else (except Vegeta, we need a showy jobber) to be competent.

If Trunks didn't suck, the future wouldn't have gotten hosed up (again)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

This is not the face of a God of Destruction that is confident in is own power:

It obviously is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

New Leaf posted:

How did this DBZ/One Piece connection even get started? They seem to team up on a lot of games. The tiny bit I've watched makes me feel like One Piece would be utterly outclassed by DBZ.

Both are massively popular in Japan.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you the ending: Luffy becomes the pirate king.

Congratulations, you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

The issue with "it's not the destination, it's the journey" is that, well, that works better when you know they're HEADING towards a destination. DBZ, for all of its faults, was always pretty good at establishing end-points and new journeys, it's why we're at a multiverse-destroying level of escalation right now. I can't say anything about One Piece, but Hajime on Ippo is an example of a series that lost its focus on the final objective - they're even touching on that now - and I think a lot of shonen manga has the same problem.

One piece is pretty good at doing that too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

instead of bring the thread down by saying negative things about yamcha lets say positive things about tien.

It took slightly longer for Tien to become irrelevant than Yamcha

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I wouldn't judge Japan as a society so much based on a children's series by a 61 year old man.

If I can't trust a children's series by a 61 year old man what can I trust?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A series by a 62 year old man.

Do you have any recommendations?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I donno about that. I'm sure Goku could have done that to Present-Zamasu too if he wanted, its not like the guy was very tough.

With SSJ Blue Kaio-Ken Goku is now faster than time. Can Beerus really beat Goku if he is not fast enough to do his erasure technique?

Yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If DBZ worked like D&D Babidi would have been the strongest character by far

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I have the feeling Goku/Vegita/Trunks are going to win this fight, even though they really have no right to. Just because it is really bad writing to have them go into the future unprepared and get their asses kicked twice in a row.

Frankly I'm a little dissapointed in Whis and Beerus attitudes. This isn't some small petty human affair, Zamasu is loving up the world of the gods. You guys you be taking a more active interest in this situation, and you're the most powerful of the bunch. Get the the drat time machine and do your job Whis!

They already fixed the problem in their timeline though. Who cares about the lovely human-created timelines?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Goku is getting awfully close to TFS Goku

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zeno probably just doesn't give a poo poo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Piccolo has mellowed out significantly from the time he trained Gohan

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

And then when it was relevant, it didn't work.

It worked really well against Piccolo Daimao the first time since it did the only thing a non-protagonist technique can do: Stall until Goku arrives

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So how is Dragon Ball Super going? I've honestly stayed off watching until the dub, for familiarities sake, but is it any good, or is it GT 2?

Super is really dumb and basically DBZ fan fiction.

It's loving great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's also a video game so it doesn't matter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Are you implying that I'm not helping Goku win by behaving well?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i wanna see beerus fight a bad guy

He already did.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Zamasu fought a bad guy.

Both statements are true.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

notaspy posted:

Are we going to see goku v vegeta for real?

No.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

Absolutely nobody takes the Ginyu poses seriously

Ginuy does

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

But Supreme Kai said Zeno was immortal. What happens when an immovable objects meets an irresistible force?

It has been established that Supreme Kai doesn't know poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tsob posted:

Radical idea, but they might not enjoy it because humor and enjoyment are subjective things and they may not have found the episode's humor to their taste? Which frankly, I kind of agree with. The episode was okay, but the first half was fairly boring and a lot of the humor for the episode fell flat for me. The only bits I really enjoyed were once Goku started battling Arale while Bulma tried to wake Beerus by using the doctor's machine. And Beerus' stomach problems causing him to immediately leave was the only time I actually laughed in the whole episode. I found the episode more fun than funny, which is an issue I have with a lot of Japanese comedy - including One Punch Man. Which is why I'm glad that One Punch Man and Dragon Ball can be taken as a relatively straight action comedy as well as a giant joke, because it means I can enjoy the fun nature of a lot of the setting, action and characters without needing to buy in the individual gags, since I don't care for most of them. Though I did find the original Dragon Ball more funny, but mostly because of things like Krillin and Jackie Chun's break down of their fight and what not. I do wish there had been more than one scene of Vegeta trying to fight Arale in a non-battle manga way, just to see what else he'd do though.

On the other hand

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, I mentioned it earlier, but it doesn't get any more perfect for the role than the actual mangaka picturing you when he draws the manga. There's genuinely no argument to be had for Grannyku not being the epitome of Goku and right for the job.

(The source for it's here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/akira-toriyama-masako-nozawa-special-talk/)

Non-believers should bow down to our elderly overlord.

Grandma Goku is awful, sorry.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's super hosed up to me that sometime words are said in a language other than glorious Nihongo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gohan was always lame anyway

• Locked thread