Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mr. stefan posted:

The core booster made sense because it was literally "yo white base we heard you had a few extra core fighters lying around, here's a cargo pod full of spare parts and ordnance to turn one into a real fighter" as opposed to the ridiculously involved multitransformation poo poo of the g-armor.

And then the Origin decided "Oh hey we mass produced these GMs, maybe you guys should have some".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I want Gundam 0083 to appear in Super Robot Wars again. I have fond memories of Kou in the Dendrobium High Mega Cannon-ing his way through waves of mooks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

From the other side of Super Robot Wars BX I can basically confirm that AGE, like SEED DESTINY, is one of those shows that's definitely better in Super Robot Wars, mostly because it highlights the strengths of the series (Radical loving mobile suits) and de-emphasizes a lot of its insufferable elements. It's also fun when Banpresto makes executive decisions that sort of lay their opinions of a show on the table. For instance the first time the Gundam Legilis deploys it doesn't give the one-sided smackdown it did in the show, on the contrary there's a plot mandated event to end the stage where you shoot it down. Sadly its pilot in that instance ejects, and even more sadly he meets his canon death. Maybe the next Nintendo game will give that bastard the death the nasty death he deserves. Banpresto also worked repeatedly to salvage the star of AGE's worst goddamn arc Girard Spriggan. Not only is she recruitable but she shows up a couple of times as an ally before the events of those episodes and actually gets interaction with main characters (She makes friends with Akito and is there to help for the fight on the Garuda from Gundam Unicorn).

Also you get to shoot people with Plasma Diver Missiles that have 9999 base power. Those things are awesome.

Oh and final goofy note: In BX the timeline is such that AGE's Char clone actually chronologically predated the real Char. So in the context of that game Zeheart Gallete was the first dude in Gundam to wear a goofy metal mask.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Kamille's fundamental problem with the Titans is that he's a loving teenager and they have the double-whammy of being a) government authorities that b) his parents work for. It's pure puerile rebellion against authority, at least at the very start of the first episode of Zeta.

Basically. It also doesn't help that Franklin Bidam was a scumbag, but ultimately it was a combination of being a Teenager, having the opportunity, and Jerid pissing him off that lead to Camille ending up with the AEUG.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jerid's downward arc is legitimately one of my favorite things from Zeta. Jerid is one of the best examples of the War is Hell bit Gundam loves to trot out at regular intervals. There's a certain cleverness in having a villain be the posterboy for this particular trope, because as a villain he can have literally everyone he ever loved and everything he ever believed in die horribly around him before his final long-awaited death and ALSO be in a show where the good guys win. Very rarely do I see a show have its cake and eat it so well.

Also Jerid consistently gets to fly cool Mobile Suits so that's a point for him. I unironically adore the Gabthley and the Bound Doc.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Riddhe reminds me of Shinji Ikari. He's a very human character who is strongly and consistently written and is provided with enough background and context to be genuinely understandable. And at the same time he's kind of an unlikeable twerp.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I really want ZZ Gundam back in Super Robot Wars. It would be nice for the ZZ to be the powerhouse it's always deserved to be.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only Char to be a really great pilot is Afranchi.

Afranche also gets the girl and realizes he's in late UC where everything is falling apart and goes and fucks off back to his tropical island home, which means that Afranche is also the best Char.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

Unicorn takes a lot of somewhat inconsistent artistic liberties with its projectile colors. The Unicorn's bog standard normal head vulcans fire glowing blue bullets, which is slightly confusing since the Delta Plus's beam rifle fires glowing blue beams.

That was what I thought of as well. I think the Unicorn is the only thing in Gundam to have colored head vulcans.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Droyer posted:

No it's the opposite. Almost no one buys the gas grenade one, so they use trying to buy it as a secret code. I think at least, I could be misremembering.

This is correct, asking for a Zaku I Gas Grenade was the coded message that you wanted to talk with one of the underground informants. The manga doesn't ever give any real indication such a model even existed either. The best Seller was actually Dozle's Zaku II, which was a memorial piece since at that point in continuity Dozle had been Gundam'd. The entire arc of Leopold going to meet Reinhart was really good. Gundam: Plot to etc. was really good.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 5, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tarranon posted:

yeah, that's definitely a reading i've considered

Evidence suggests it's the right reading. G-Reco depicts a society that has been regressed into a weird form of innocence because of the way it was reorganized in the wake the big UC ending calamity. The way the characters glide around comes from them sort of winging this whole "conflict" thing because of how foreign it is to them. Bellri's "Hey lemme go and break this prisoner out of jail and go along for the ride with her because she's kinda cute!" comes from a person from a place where things like danger, political intrigue, and espionage are just not in the cultural consciousness.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I believe there's a game (an SD Gundam?) where Heero has an "I'll kill you" spirit. Predictably, it makes him incapable of actually killing.

Yep, in more than one game Heero's "I'll kill your" ID Command boosts damage and also applies SRW-style Mercy at the same time.

It's actually legitimately good, just not at sealing the deal.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Muffinlord posted:

I really had a spark of hope in my heart that it was going to be Ein in a full robot body, but mostly because Gaelio was so predictable I wanted to dismiss it outright.

My super cracked out theory up until the obvious was officially confirmed was that Vidar was going to turn out to be Almiria in heavy disguise with an Alaya-Vijnana out to get revenge on McGillis for the end of season 1. It's way out there, but she's young enough for the implant and would have reason enough both to want McGillis to eat dirt and to pretend to transparently be her brother in a mask to get him revenge by proxy.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Droyer posted:

Definitely check out the plot to assassinate gihren, It's probably the best gundam manga out there.

Seconding this. Gundam: Plot to Assassinate Gihren is easily one of the best things set in UC Gundam. To explain why in any detail would basically require spoiling the entire manga, but suffice to say it's a really interesting Gundam story from a refreshing perspective that rewards knowledge of the setting.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Taintrunner posted:

Im excited to see another G-Savior

Same, if that is what we're getting.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't even know if there's much mecha action in FT, because it is hard as gently caress to find decent pictures of anything but the Heavyarms Nicholas Wolfwood Custom. Also, like, half the story is a flashback to before there were Gundams, right?

I've heard in passing about various fights, but there's almost no lineart of the mechs because FT appears to be much more interested in Ken Pender's style OC lunacy than in actually having pictures of Gundams fighting. For instance I've heard things about the Warlock (Deathscythe Successor) doing stuff like generating infinity nanomachine bats to block out the sky, or making physical afterimages, but there's no pictures of it except wearing a cloak that completely covers it. Similarly the new Wing Zero, the Snow White, has a magic crossbow called "The Seven Dwarves" that can fire Phoenixes and Ice Swans (no really), but again only seen covered in a cloak. There's also a fight scene between IIRC Duo's son and Milliardo's daughter where they have a mobile suit fight but then pause halfway through for a time-out to have a picnic.

edit: Warlock is the Deathscythe successor, on second glance the Prometheus is actually the new Sandrock.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 22, 2018

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DKD posted:

Look, if she makes you happy, go for it. Love is blind

Dude, Harsh.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MechaX posted:

But yuck, Sekai.

On the other hand that means you can beat up Sekai over and over again.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

That's Klim Nick in the Crossbones. He's a genius, you know.

The best part is that he literally has Genius as a pilot skill.

Incidentally that means he's actually pretty good since Genius is a hella good pilot skill.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Manatee Cannon posted:

"I hate iok"

and later,

"hell yea akihiro"

A thoroughly reasonable response :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

I mean, Domon and Master Asia's ultimate technique was a hadoken.

No, it was a Shinku Hadoken, that's totally different.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

There's also Super Robot Wars L, which has a scene of Shinn asking people who knew Kira what he's like, getting some positive feedback, and then contacting Kira and working together to save Stella.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EthanSteele posted:

I think this is how someone frames it in SRWZ, that just cos he's not pulling the trigger that fires the shot that kills them himself definitely doesn't mean he's not responsible for them dying. Destiny Kira is awful.

The best part is you see this in action gameplay-wise. There is a stage where Kira flies in and starts blasting people indiscriminately, but he doesn't kill them! He just leaves them disabled at 10 HP. Turns out that if you do that they die immediately afterwards. Kira's permanent-Mercy not actually being merciful in gameplay is a wonderfully good way to poke holes in his actions.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I just wanted them to find the damned space whales.

Plot Twist: Macross 7 is in continuity with SEED.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

One of my big problems with Coordinators in Gundam is that when they were revamping the original Gundam they forgot "spacenoid" and "newtype" are not interchangeable terms. There's lots of talk from Zeon about how Spacenoids are the master race and the successors to humanity and adapted to life in space, but the important and obvious thing is that it's all just so much noise. Spacenoids are not better than earthbound humans, this could not be more explicit. The joke to this is that Newtypes do exist, that there are people who actually can understand each and are well adapted for life in space, but the punchline is that ultimately they aren't important. Newtypes may be "Superior", but they're rare and often unaware of being newtypes and ultimately they don't actually matter because the change they promised by their existence never emerges from their existence.

Then you get Gundam SEED where Coordinator means both "Spacenoid" and "Newtype" at once. The Coordinators ARE superior to terrestrial humanity, it's right there in their genes. They're stronger, smarter, healthier, and all-around better and SEED and DESTINY have real trouble realizing this or parcelling out what it means. Earth v Space looks much different when Space people are explicitly superhuman, but Earth v Space has barely budged between Gundam 79 and Gundam SEED and that's a failure of imagination and of setting.

In SEED people of Earth hate the Coordinators for reasons that are almost always framed as "You're just jealous", but SEED/DESTINY never quite realizes that actually "You're just jealous" could actually be a LEGITIMATE reason. Shouldn't the people of Earth have reason to be leery of the Coordinators and of the strife inevitable by creating a genetic caste system? Especially when the Coordinators show absolutely no regard for the people on the ground? The key thing that newtypes are generally depicted as having that Coordinators aren't is some form of expanded empathic awareness. Newtypes have consistently been shown as being able to sense emotions and read intents. That empathy doesn't stop evil or sociopathic or nihilistic newtypes from existing, but the whole reason people like Char dreamed of having a large newtype population was so they could have some Gundam 00 epilogue style understanding to put an end to war. There's no similar pipe dream in SEED. ZAFT with its N-Jammer attack commits an atrocity worse than the Bloody Valentine attack in retaliation against the naturals, and ZAFT has no problems immediately leaping back into the war two years later with the weapons they've been gleefully building in the meantime. Coordinators are inherently better at most things than Naturals, but neither side has inherently better PEOPLE than the other. That and so much more deserved examining.

I am the three millionth Gundam fan to this out, but it probably still bears repeating that one of SEED's most egregious failures came from the misuse of the setting. The idea of having Coordinators is barely explored at all in the entire run of the series, and that's a serious problem because that's the most notable new idea that SEED brought to the table. SEED is far less smart than it needed to be and it suffers a lot for it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yinlock posted:

pretty much all interactions between the younger characters and him are him being like "if you can't sense my intent you cannot truly evolve weighed down by gravity newtypes soul war peace" and them responding with "what the gently caress are you even talking about, you lunatic"

it's great

SRW X is great because spends over a dozen stages dumping on Char. There's a great scene between him and Bellri that amounts to Bellri basically telling Char he's totally wrong and has no clue how history and culture work. This is incidentally after a chat between him and Aida that Bellri interrupts after someone nudges him in the ribs and says "Hey, you know Char has a thing for girls, you really want your sister spending time with that creep?"

Also you can get the Nightingale and it's a real good unit.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My favorite description of Quattro (reiterated up above by NikkolasKing) is that Quattro is Char pretending as hard as he can he's not a lovely person. He actually might have succeeded if he hadn't pinned literally all his hopes on Camille.

Unicorn for all its faults has the ultra great Diner scene where the guy gives an absolute pitch-perfect reading of Char. "Maybe he was just a guy who never learned to love humanity" is a great one sentence summation of the man's life.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is it available to read in English anywhere?

Not officially... :filez:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Flay feels like there was supposed to be more to her story. The way she got pushed out of the show after she left the Archangel left her hanging and incomplete feeling. I wonder how things would have turned out if they had kept her as being the pilot of the Strike Rouge. I'm not saying she wouldn't be horrible or that she wasn't going to get a tragic death because Gundam, but it really does seem like the last chunk of her arc got edited out.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That's kind of the man in a nutshell. Remember this is the dude who got up on stage at the anniversary celebration of Gundam, the thing he invented which has made him internationally famous and successful, and told his fans they were wasting their lives.

Tomino is the ur-example of a crotchety old cuss. Let's all remember that Tomino said in an interview that the real reason the English release of Gundam is missing an episode (The Isle of Cucurux Doan) is apparently that cutting the episode from circulation was an act of petty spite at someone who raised Tomino's ire. Having him rail against kids who were inspired to go into rocketry and astrophysics is hilariously in character.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do any of the SRW games address how terrifying Amuro would be if the Alex or an FA-78 were supplied to him?

To an extent. It's less common these days, but swapping Amuro into a more advanced unit in advance of the Nu Gundam is a fairly common SRW strategy. Notably what unit you put him in varies wildly by game.

The thing to remember is that SRW has almost never actually done the OYW, and very rarely has Super Robot Wars had original era Amuro and it's much less common these days to put him in the original Gundam. Most of the time Amuro is from the Zeta Gundam or CCA era, and rarely starts in something less advanced than the ReGZ. However there are some games where Amuro starts in a less amazing unit and putting him in the Alex or similar is a scary thing. Compact 1 is an example where the good unit in question actually is the Alex, and it does let him rampage through much of the game. The G-3 Gundam is a possible secret you can get early in Super Robot Wars Alpha replacing the RX-78-2, and if you get it you're basically set in terms of Amuro for the first half of the game. Similarly you can put him in the Gundam F91 instead of the MP Nu Gundam or the ReGZ in Alpha 2, you can put him in the Turn A for the early game of SRWZ1 instead of keeping him Char's Rick Dias which he defaults to, and so forth.

The FA-78 is usable in Super Robot Wars A where it's one of two possible semi-secret upgrades you can get for the Gundam, you can pick up either the FA-78 or the G-Armor.

SRW GC/XO is the only game (besides OE which is its own kettle of fish) in recent memory that actually covers the One Year War, including doing 08th MS Team and Gundam 0080 (And Metal Armor Dragonar) as part of it. Between Mission 5 (Picking up Project V's mobile suits from Side 7 which includes the Dragonars) and Mission 17 (A Baoa Qu) there's only a handful of non-OYW related stages. You shoot down the Apsalus, you defend Jaburo, you fight the Big Zam at Solomon, and after going into space the White Base stops off at Side 6 where Amuro picks up both the Alex (which by default stays with Chris) and the G-3. Of course after you defeat Zeon you take a wormhole into deep space and have a string of missions where you leave to go and start the L.Gaim storyline and when you get back the baddies from Layzner have conquerered half the planet and are being opposed by the AEUG team of Quattro Bajeena, Camille Bidam, Emma Sheen, and Lalah Soon.

Incidentally GC/XO lets you pick up Bernie and Aina as POWs, who immediately join for real once Zeon is off the map. Aina even brings a GM Sniper with her, so that's nice. Also you can put Kai and Hayato in Gelgoogs or Bigros, which is also nice.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 1, 2018

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

Can Amuro use any abilities in the Turn-A that Loran can't out of interest? I ask, because a recurring thing with the Turn-A is that certain things, mostly stuff listed for the "Black History Turn-A" like weapon teleportation, are unusable by Oldtypes according to things like the MG Gunpla manual. I'd personally just say the animation is what it can do, and adding in wank like the novels, manuals and some games seems kind of pointless but I'm curious how SRW handled that one thing.

Nope. In fact, depending on the game, Amuro may be able to use fewer abilities since the Moonlight Butterfly is often only usable by Loran. In Z1 the Turn A is something of a late bloomer, being upgraded via plot events 3 times before the end of the game. In the early portion of the game before anyone realizes it can fly the Turn A is kind of a janky ground attacker with very specific limits to how it can attack. Putting Amuro who has Attack Again and a high newtype level in the Turn A gives it an edge before it can fly and use the Beam Drop Cannon. Later in the game Loran is a completely fine pilot for the Turn A, his stats grow impressively as you level him up, SP Regen forgives many minor shortcomings, and Loran has Soul as opposed to Amuro's Hotblood which means you can get a lot more army nukage out of the Moonlight Butterfly.

tsob posted:

Does Chris become a Newtype later or something? Seems kind of pointless to keep her in the Alex, when even in show a mechanic points out that it's intentionally tuned to be too fast for an Oldtype like her. Seems like a GM, Guncannon or just the RX-78-2 would fit her better really.

Chris is a pretty okay pilot in GC/XO, though you're spoiled for choice if you really want to give it to someone else as you get the White Base crew including Sleggar and Sayla and the 08th MS Team along with Sayla. And it's actually one of the better suits for the OYW oldtypes, unlike a lot of Mobile Suits from the OYW era the Alex has a decently powerful finishing move so it gives you something with a little oomph. The Alex is good, but you're spoiled for choice in the other direction as well, in GC/XO's One Year War campaign you get the RX-78-2, the G-Armor, a GM Sniper, the Ez8 with its classic "fire everything" attack, the G-3's hyper hammer, and as many Gelgoogs, Bigros, Kaemphers, Rick Doms, and Apsaluses as you care to collect. I kept Chris in the Alex mostly because everyone else who might want it more was just fine where they were. It definitely has a half-life since the game eventually tosses you stuff like the Zeta, ZZ, and Nu Gundams, but up until then there's a whole host of OYW era pilots and units that are made perfectly viable by the huge collection of MSes and MAs you can snag.

tsob posted:

I don't know, Bernie seemed like he would have been done with being a soldier full stop if he'd survived the end of 0080 and Aina already abandoned the war to raise a family so it seems kind of not nice to me to have them dragged back in.

In the context of the game you get Bernie by having Chris completely incapacitate his Zaku II, then she drags him away. Bernie is let go by your team after A Baoa Qu falls, but he decides himself to stay with the White Base to defend the Earth from aliens.

Meanwhile Aina only surrenders if you reenact the ending of 08th MS Team but let the Zanzibar escape. Do so and she'll voluntarily turn herself in, again to stay put and voluntarily grab the GM Sniper to help out with the alien invasion.

So no, not 100% accurate to the series but it's not like the writers didn't consider that and have a scene where the characters go "you know what? This time I'm gonna choose to fight because it's Super Robot Wars". Honestly my biggest disappointment is that Sayla and Quattro basically don't have any scenes together. Quattro's disguise is even more paper thin than in Zeta Gundam considering you have a whole host of people who repeatedly fought him and also his right hand woman is Lalah Soon who is flying the Elmeth, but the cast seem content to just kind of play along and work with him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

Is that the name of the cannon Gym has placed in the abdomen of the unit or something? Wonder what the "drop" part refers to?

Correction, the attack is called "Beam Drive Unit". It's the weird beam cannon in the Turn A's abdomen that sprays beam particles until things explode. It's actually a major part of the Turn A's offense in Z1 and Z3 for reasons that are based entirely on gameplay mechanics.

tsob posted:

It's nice to see Loran get some love. He seems to be viewed as kind of worthless as a pilot by a lot of fans, which I've always found rather unfair. He's not the best in the franchise or anything, but he's pretty creative, has very good aim (especially in the first half of the show where he rarely shoots but almost every shot he does make connects, less so once he goes to space) and I'd put him above at least a few other pilots personally.

Loran in SRW is often lower on the spectrum of aces, but decidedly good in multiple other ways. Most commonly the way it works is by giving Loran SP Regen and a really good suite of Spirit Commands. It doesn't really matter when your base stats aren't the best when you have the nearly unlimited resources that let you manually give yourself perfect accuracy and evasion.

tsob posted:

I suppose a unit's reaction speed, or the pilot's ability to take advantage of it, wouldn't really matter in an RPG of any kind so that makes sense.

Actually SRW early in its lifetime had a stat called "Limit" which represented a unit's upper capacity to keep up with the pilot. It was meant to represent the bit in Gundam where Amuro complains the Gundam doesn't move as fast as he does. It was dropped from existence around 20 years ago because it didn't actually add anything to the game, you just dumped a little bit of cash into Limit whenever it capped out, it didn't actually create any particularly interesting decisions.

tsob posted:

This, but for G Gen games since the SRW stuff has been answered so thoroughly.

G Generation Overworld on the PSP got a full translation patch about 6 months ago, and G Generation Genesis (not highly recommended) got an Asian English release like V and X.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

I thought the beam drive unit was how the Turns moved given that they apparently have no motors? That it basically used an I-field to manipulate the unit through various movements?

The abdomen cannons are kind of weird anyway. You can see them in Mead's initial designs (along with shoulder mounted ones that sit flush with the curve of the unit's body, but that never made it in to the final design) but they're not actually part of the Turn-A in show and are instead something the Ghingham faction places there when Gym captures the unit. Which we know, because Loran fires missiles from the chest silos during one battle around the mid-teens and you can see the same bays the cannons are in later are firing missiles. So either Gym had them put there, or Loran can teleport weapons using the Turn-A after all.

You're close, the Turns are described as moving via a "I-Field Beam Drive System". As for the Beam Drive Unit's name I can't say where they got it from, but it is what the attack is called in Super Robot Wars, so make of that what you will.

As for the weapon itself I believe in the series that Gym did had the Beam Drive Unit put in, because while the Turn A is described as being able to teleport in weapons it's possibly only from a DOC base, of which there are none functional left by the time of the series (a ruined DOC base is where Loran found the Turn A's Hyper Hammer). Whether or not they were compatible with the Turn X is unclear. Considering the Turn X's extremely sleek design with lots of internal weapons and the implication that it got seriously torn up the last time it fought the Turn A it's quite possible that the Turn X had literally no hardpoints to install them on. Put it another way do you think Samurai Gym would NOT use them if he had the option? Especially when his entire character is roughly "I want to use weapons!"

Meanwhile In Super Robot Wars Z the Beam Drive Unit is installed after everyone figures out how to make the Turn A fly and how to activate it's I-Field Barrier. This isn't the only time SRW plays a little loose with when you get certain weapons, see the AGE-FX coming pre-equipped with the Daidal Bazooka or the Unicorn having the Beam Gatling right out the gate or literally any Super Robot Wars game that has ever had Dancougar. In gameplay terms the Beam Drive Unit is actually weaker than the Hyper Hammer or the Turn A's max output Beam Rifle (or in Z2 the attack where Loran calls in Sochie and Meshie in their Kapools to help out), but like I said it's really handy for other reasons.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't moon Gundam supposed to address this, or at least what amuro was up to in the aftermath?

Moon Gundam is set around the time of Unicorn.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Unicorn's biggest problem to me is that what it actually precluded it from being what it wanted to be.

The series spent a lot of time trying to make it thematically about the possibilities of the future, something hard to miss because Banagher never shuts up about it. The problem is that this is set in UC 96, and we know what happens next IE a shitton more pointless wars and a lot more meaningless exploitation and suffering. Unicorn steps up to the plate and goes "Maybe the future will be bright!" in a setting that's already marked to have Mufti's rebellion, the Mars Zeon war, the Cosmo Babylonia wars, the Zanscare invasion, war against your choice of either CONSENT or the Man-Hunting Attachment, and on and on up till the Turn A Gundam destroys the world and we eventually land in the Correct Century. Banagher comes across as especially naive and foolish to believe in peace in our time in a setting are driven with strife as the Universal Century. For Unicorn to have worked, for it to have a hopeful message of surpassing the past and breaking the chains of inheritance, for it to have succeeded at its CORE MESSAGE Unicorn absolutely could not have been in the Universal Century. I get it was there for marketing reasons basically, but Unicorn falls flat when put into context.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

No one brought up Fixx Bloodman or Bork Cry? For shame.

And the point of this whole exercise is that Gundam is notorious for having amazingly stupid names and they're wonderful and I love it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even when Zeon had the Federation on their knees during ZZ they blew it. How do you manage to screw up so badly after your enemies have just gutted themselves in a civil war?

I mean, in the context of the show the answer was "destroy yourself in your own civil war"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

Unicorn probably tried the hardest of any show to present the idea that some colonists support Zeon by showing the downtrodden shitheap of Palau where the colonists had literal shrines to Zeon.

It wasn't actually a shrine to Zeon, it was pretty clearly some stripe of Christian church. The whole point of the scene (and it's a really drat good scene and Marida Cruz was the best character in Unicorn, gently caress you Riddhe) was that it sucked to live in space and people needed something to believe in as a kind of defense mechanism because of how much it sucks to live in space. Marida brought Banagher there to this forgotten church to make the point that Zeon replaced these former faiths, Zeon became less a political entity or a coherent ideology and became more a kind of religious icon, that Zeon would light the way and make things wonderful for the people of space.

Honestly it's probably the most coherent reason given for why anyone would have continued to endorse Zeon after they continuously committed atrocities and lost every war it ever fought in. Unicorn kind of has it both ways though, depicting Zeon's supporters variously as these heroic and downtrodden lost causers, as well as sad and trapped people struggling in the grip of a toxic ideology. Once again Unicorn would probably have been better if it was in a totally new setting and it actually could have pretended this continuity's Zeon analogues weren't actually Imperial Japanese Space Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's also because the Jupiter Empire didn't exist as a concept during the writing of Zeta Gundam.

In universe there's stuff in Crossbone that talks about how Dogatie Crux had been consolidating his power for most of his adult life even before he went off the deep-end around F91 and tried to destroy the Earth, and considering how drat old he is that means he must have started pretty early in UC and been doing stuff during the OYW/Gryps/Neo Zeon/2 Electric Boogaloo wars. What that stuff he and the rest of the Jupiter colonies were doing is less apparent.