Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Ripper Swarm posted:

Wouldn't be that hard, 2 or 3 lines telling us who supports them and what they want would do it. Actually, I can fit that in just one:

"However, in the Galactic North/South/whatever many systems have abandoned their support for the Republic for the strength of the New Order, who plot to end the Republic and declare a new Empire under their mysterious leader, Big Giant Head."

The problem for me wasn't necessarily the first order (though they did seem to be very well resourced somehow) but what the hell was the resistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

Try six months. VIII is slated for May 2017.

Oh poo poo. Thats good since this is the first Star Wars movie that finished in a way that the next could kick off directly after it. I wonder if they will do that or come back after Rey has had a few years of training with Luke or something.

By the way, is no one talking about this because it is super obvious..? But Rey is Luke's daughter and stronger in the force than he.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

We don't really know.

But the established Saiyan power rankings are now Rey..............then nothing for a long time........then Kylo and Finn coming last.

On Saiyan power rankings then Finn would be Yamcha?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

I also got an uncanny Crystal Skull vibe from Han and Leia.

Oh poo poo, yeah.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

I heard people humming the Darth Maul theme in the cinema.

That's a drat good piece of music that supersedes the unremarkable cinematography.

I said it when I first saw TPM and I will say it now. They wasted that theme on TPM. Should have kept it for the final Obi-Wan / Anakin battle.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I am SO glad they ended the movie how they did. My worry was they were going to end it when they sat in the ship. That would meant the next movie would just be this "search for spock" filler movie. Glad they got it out of the way and the next movie can focus on more interesting things.

Every time they go to hyperspace the cut is the time needed to make that far. Not, like, a minute. Could be months, weeks, whatever.

That middle sequence with Solo and the standoff and the "Alien" section was the worst. Possibly the worst part of the entire SW series. The only thing that saves it was that it was Solo.

By the way, this movie really enforces how useful good and clear antagonists/protagonists are to a good movie.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

Also, when Rey touches the saber is part of her vision of the Cloud City tunnel? Namely the one where Vader steps out onto the lit floor and starts battering Luke?
Yes.

BastardySkull posted:

It was really great that we hear the murdered Jedi younglings calling her down to the saber, I've never thought of the weapon in that way before. She's disgusted by it, but Luke was never wise to that aspect of it when he wielded it.
Oh, nice. That makes much more sense. Rey is powerful.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
The existence of Finn makes me feel bad for Stormtroopers. They are no longer faceless anonymous bad guys. Any one of them could be the next hero of the universe. Even Finn slaughters them with no regard.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Saw the movie again. Based on the flashback it seems that Luke is training the next Jedi as strictly peaceful. I.e. No lightsabers. Kylo obviously wants some lightsabers fun and (presumably with the help of Snoke - who I doubt is very powerful himself) builds a really lovely one and slaughters everyone (even his "Knights" don't have their own lightsabers). Come to think of it. Rey's staff obviously has a huge part to play. I just realised it could be similar to the non-lightsabers weapons that the Knights of Ren had. I guess Luke fled because A) he failed ala Yoda. B) he couldn't kill Ben Solo.

I like the theme of even lovely Jedi and lovely lightsabers are powerful as gently caress amongst normal people.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's probably already been pointed out in this thread already, but I can't help notice the similarities between the music that plays when Palpatine talks about Darth Plagueis in RotS and Supreme Leader Snoke's theme from The Force Awakens.

Then I remember that Palpatine said Plagueis had the power to create life through The Force. Then I thought about how Rey was unnaturally talented with the Force and has uncertain parentage, just like Anakin. Luke needed to be trained, but Anakin and Rey seem to be naturals. Which makes me think that Rey being a Skywalker is a red herring, what if she's actually a "daughter" of sorts of Plagueis, created by the Force?

One other thing that came out from a second viewing is how strongly both Kylo and Snoke react to "the girl" from Jakku. Maybe they know a bit more about her...

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Luke could deflect laser shots the second time he turned on a lightsaber. What a joke. Someone must have taught him the force before the movie started.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
When Rey gets the lightsaber instead of Kylo the theme plays that is the same as when Luke sees dead Uncle Owen/Aunt Beru (why are they SO dead? i.e. burnt to skeletons? How did that happen? Stormtrooper blasters don't do that). So maybe she is THEIR child/grandchild :) Though most likely it represents Rey's threshold crossing in symphony with Luke's.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

They showed a stormtrooper using a flamethrower in TFA so Owen and Beru probably got that

I hate the flametrooper, but, yes, maybe they have been with us since the beginning. Maybe they have always been with us.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
One other interesting thing is that all of the First Order are very young. Either they can only recruit people who don't remember the Galactic Civil War or said war completely wiped out a generation of people sympathetic to them.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Rey is Luke and Leia's baby.

It's pretty obvious people. He didn't find out they were related for quite awhile, and siblings who weren't raised together frequently become sexually attracted when they finally meet.

She was dumped on the planet because Luke and Leia were ashamed of their incest baby.

Got to be this. When force users have incest babies you don't get birth defects but over-powered force users. This is their destiny.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

I'm still not sure why you'd hide her on an imperial world to hide her from Snoke, instead of somewhere else that isn't under their control.

I am convinced Snoke and Kylo know she is on Jakku. It is probably they who put her there and Luke who doesn't know where she is.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

that makes no sense, why would they both pretend not to know that she was force sensitive, and if they really didn't know she was adept in the force or linked to skywalker they would have no reason to hide her in the first place so why the gently caress go through all the effort? Rei was a suprise to both of them.

Did they though? I might be wrong but they were only surprised that she could resist Kylo. Not that she could use the force. The language they use about her is much different than if she was, really, a random girl found on a backwater.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Every design that wasn't from the OT was crap. (Except maybe Kylos shuttle but only because it was huge). Lucas is much better at that stuff than JJ. The budget of this was double that of the prequel movies? Though I suppose that proves with a bit more care and money spent is the difference between seeing a movie once and telling all your friends and seeing a movie twice.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

You realize the OT used used toy figurines from some random toy shop right? None of it was Lucas's design.

Yes. I don't believe Lucas literally designed everything (anything) in Star Wars.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Saw this article from pre-release: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Episode-8-Definitely-Bring-Back-One-Classic-Cast-Member-83017.html

Could it be that the last section where they find Luke was literally tacked on at the last minute due to what Rian Johnson wants? i.e. don't make Episode 8 about finding Luke - find him first and go from there?

Looking at leaked information/speculation it feels like quite a bit ended up being changed/removed in this.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

The other thing I realized on rewatch: The new Stormtrooper helmets are too big. It makes them look stockier than they did before.

Yup, very stocky. And they look like (Disney) ducks.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

There's a pretty funny page or two in the Making of Force Awakens book where they spend a month designing new X-Wings then Abrams basically tells them to pack it up and use McQuarrie's original X-Wing concept art instead because it's a lot better

There is not one good original design in TFA.

Hmm maybe Ren and his saber. But that's it.

I love how the rifle Finn lugs around is basically "generic space laser rifle 1". Awful.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

"Director" is pretty much the most boring title they could give an Imperial baddy.

And why do they have Death Troopers to hunts the Rebels and where did they go after the Rebels literally blew up the Death Star, &c.

The image from the book that spoils the names looks like a cover of a bad EU novel.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

A photo of someone who would blend right into the background in an imperial installation.

It would seem to me "many" people died to get the first Death Star plans.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hoojib

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I always thought in ANH that Vader is basically a special ops type guy who reports to the emperor but is outside of the chain of command. So he would obey Tarkin for business as usual matters but could take charge when needed. So in ESB I thought due to the events of ANH, the emporer said "gently caress it - I trust you more than these bureaucrats. You are second in command, here is your giant ship, go crush the rebellion".

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

wyoming posted:

Aw, I was hoping they'd sound like the Swedish Chef. :(

For some reason I imagined them being voiced by Keith David.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like this fits into the current tone of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPPj3e2M-M

Wank fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 14, 2017

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/BobAlGreene/status/935574535658786817
Dehumanize yourself and face to Porg Nation.

I only just realised Porg have canine teeth. They are meat eaters?

I hope there is a scene where Kylo is about to kill Luke and hundreds of Porg swarm in and start biting at him.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
What a piece of poo poo movie. Did it have a director or was it just a few cool scenes that the committee wanted in and no one had the guts to cut out? All slapped together with just nonsense. What is the tone of this? What the hell is the plot? I didn't like that JJ was doing the last movie but at least they are hiring a director.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I'm trying to figure out the strategy behind the space battle at the start of the film.

Poe, alone, gets sent out to take out the anti-fighter guns of the Dreadnaught.
Bombers have also been sortied with fighter support to take it out. For whatever reason, the FO does not detect them when it detects Poe.
Seemingly, Poe's mission is to distract the First Order from disrupting the evacuation. The question here is how, given that the dreadnaught doesn't seem to care about any fighters when it fires on the base and, later, prepares to fire on the command cruiser.
However, destroying the dreadnaught mustn't be the objective because it gets Poe busted down a rank (which means nothing, really) after arguing with Leia about it during the mission.
A bunch of Resistance ships are destroyed, including Rose's sister the better character, but the dreadnaught is destroyed, too. If the dreadnaught hadn't been destroyed by, essentially, an act of the Force, then it would've taken out the command cruiser with its huge cannons. Meaning that Poe was in the right?
Poe and the survivors retreat to the cruiser which jumps away.

Like a few points in the film, it feels overly complex and that it has twists for twist's sake.

Poe was hoping the distraction + fast sub-light engines would give him enough time to blow up the top laser installation before the TIEs showed up. They wanted to blow up the dreadnaught so the rebels could get off the planet. But - they got off the planet in time anyway so they didn't need to blow anything up, just get back to the cruiser as fast as possible so they could get out. Poe didn't do that. Which, nearly meant the cruise got blown up. Poe was in the wrong as if he got back they could have left quicker. But thanks to the non-existence of a vacuum in space it all worked out. The way the bombers just show up was a bit weird, especially that they are so super slow, I guess that is the problem.. they would never have made it back in time. I am ignoring the fact that Y-Wings and B-Wings bombers don't seem to exist anymore. Christ, the shots from the star destroyer onto the cruise ARC IN SPACE. THEY CAN'T SHOOT AT THE CRUISER WHEN ITS TOO FAR AWAY BECAUSE IT WONT MAKE THE DISTANCE IN ITS ARC. IN SPACE.

Wank fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 14, 2017

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I was loving pissed off that the master of codes was not Gregg Turkington. I think that's really why I don't like it. What loving bullshit. And ANOTHER movie that is ripping off Decker. I hope someone edits him in.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Give me Thrawn, give me someone, someone scary and clever and cunning who you see and screen and you get chills because you know you would not want that guy chasing you down.

This whole series would make a lot more sense with a more cunning strategician on the First Order side who is able to out-smart and bit by bit cut down the republic - while the republic were the republic. They had full access to all their forces but they were too rigid and slow to react to a Thrawn-like character slowly picking them off and gaining power system by system. Hey, and have that person not really trust this force-powered child of Solo/Skywalker but Ren proves himself. Having it all set in the status quo of the OT is really the big dumb elephant in the room. There is nothing wrong with these movies being about an existential threat to democracy by neo-nazi's that have the advantage via unfair "dark side" tactics while the republic refuses to get it's hands dirty and play to their level.

REN FLIES THROUGH A SHIELD AND ATTACKS THE LANDING BAY/SHIP. THE LASERS FLY IN AN ARC. DAISY RIDLEY SUCKS AT DELIVERING LINES. THERE IS A HARRY POTTER MIRROR. WE LEARN WHERE BLUE MILK COMES FROM.... BOY OH BOY.

EDIT: Actually the blue milk scene was probably the best thing in the movie. Mark Hamill is the best.

Wank fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 14, 2017

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Nessus posted:

What is it, meteor porg poo poo?

It's like something out of a Lynch movie. Luke wants Rey gone, but Rey is doing the thing where she is stubborn and following him around until he relents and trains her or helps her or whatever. So he goes about his normal day to day business. He heads right down to the shore line of the island where these really weird, long necked, tall creatures are kind of sun-baving laying back on the rocks, like sea lions or walruses do. Rey seems to like them, and they look kind of interesting. The camera then pans down to one of their abdomens where it has four large breasts with large teats on each one. Luke pulls out some kind of device and plugs it into one of the teats and starts expressing out the blue milk. He then disconnects it and starts to drink out of where the milk is, letting it all pour down his mouth and turns to Rey with a huge poo poo-eating grin, as if to say "Hey, you really want to hang around with me, I don't give a gently caress anymore". The camera goes back to the face of the creature who looks at Rey as if to say "Aw yeah, thats the poo poo" and Rey looks back and tries to keep down her breakfast. I assume this is the canon explanation of where blue milk in the Star Wars universe comes from. Watch out for the wookipedia entry.

WHERE DID BEN SOLO's BLUE LIGHTSABER COME FROM IN THE JEDI TEMPLE? WHERE DID IT GO?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

radlum posted:

I liked the movie and I don't mind getting rid of Snoke, but it still bothers me that this dude comes out of nowhere, takes control of the FO, corrupts Ben Solo and has so much power and we still know nothing about him.

For a second, I thought the ship that the master code breaker steals is actually Snoke's ship and they were going to make a point that Snoke has all this money and power by selling arms to both sides. Nope.

vvvvv

Maphis posted:

Canto Bight Scene: "I know that sound!" -camera pans to a racetrack- I got momentarily excited thinking they'd throw in a cute reference to Pod Racing, but instead it was space Chocobos so whatever.

I thought the same thing - you get sick of throwbacks but not having podracing was kind of a waste. But instead they were racing wingless Tricos from The Last Guardian. The whole subplot about whatever the gently caress with the kids that took care of the pseudo-horses was lost on me. No idea. The movie was 32 minutes too long to be a Star Wars movie, but as a movie it was about 60 minutes too long.

EDIT - ah, you know why? Because they kept using the Podracing theme in this movie. The bit where they introduce the racers or whatever. Something like that. It's been a while.

Wank fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 14, 2017

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Kurzon posted:

No, he was entirely "let's crush the Rebellion and convert young Skywalker". That was all there was to him in Return of the Jedi.

Yeah, but he was super fun. The way he spits out "Jedi" is great. Snoke isn't fun. Snoke doesn't even look like he exists.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Sefiros posted:

Where are the Knights of Ren?

Luke(?) even mentions in TLA that Kylo escaped from the temple with some people... who I guess are the Knights of Ren... who I thought where the guys in red but obviously not.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
How you don't end TLJ with Leia walking out to confront Kylo to buy time (and getting killed in the process) I will never know. Plus the "episode" Star Wars movies are about Luke, its the last one he needs to die in - Ben Solo needs to die in that one as well. The galaxy finally rid of the Skywalkers.

Wank fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

a lot of the humour in the movie is bad marvel-style quips but Luke casually milking an alien and Chewbacca trying to eat a roasted porg in front of terrified porgs are absolute gold

These and I genuinely laughed hard at the landing iron-ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Stupidly, when Luke showed up I thought it was part of some reshoots or something because his hair is shorter, not that he appears to Kylo the way that Kylo would've seen him last.

First I thought he was only visible to Leia. Then I thought he was force projecting or whatever but then he gave her the dice and I then had no idea. But then I spent the whole sequence wondering why he stopped at a space hair dresser and got a brown rinse through his hair and beard.

• Locked thread