Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
A friend of mine has been banging on about joining Star Citizen so I'm on the website looking at the different ships. I like the look of the Redeemer Gunship but can't find anywhere that tells me how much that $318.oo costs in real world money.

Do you buy Star Citizen dollars in packs? If so, can someone tell me how much say, 1000 Star Citizen dollars costs (or however many you can buy at a time). Thanks.

e. In GBP if possible

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

EminusSleepus posted:

Whatever is the cost posted in the website that is real money cost. For currency you can change it around top right corner.

:aaaaa: £206.70!! Are you loving kidding me?

Am I missing something? This is just 1 ship I can fly in this game right, I don't get an actual spaceship delivered to my door, right?

I don't mind micro-transactions too much but what the gently caress is this? Mega-transactions?

Brb, going to tell my buddy he's a loving lunatic.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 5, 2015

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Okay, so I spoke to my mate and he said 'Just get a starter pack', but even that's £35 and then apparently you still don't access to the game yet? Even if you plonk down hundreds of £££'s (of loving thousands!) you can't even play the drat game without an invite.

There is a ship pack on that website which is £7800. SEVEN THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS!!

fake e. I now realise that all you goons already know all this but seriously my mind has been blown, and not in a good way.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

MilesK posted:

Did he give you a referral code? I bet he's trying to get into the super-exclusive "million mile high club". Was: $10,000 Now: only 1,000 referral points.. or $45,000 if you have no friends. Join the cult today, these deals won't last forever!

There was indeed a referral code.

Just spoken to him again to make sure he hasn't spent hundreds or worse on this bullshit, he assures me he's only 'in' for the starter pack so that's something I guess. He's adamant you'll be able to earn all the extra ships in game but gently caress knows how long it'll take to earn a thousand dollar ship.

When he was telling me about it I thought they'd raised $100 mil through kickstarter, not selling imaginary spaceships for hundreds of pounds.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Just been going back and reading this thread and I see there's far bigger issues with this 'game' than charging hundreds of pounds for some unfinished spaceships. Scary that they've managed to get so much money without even having a product. This isn't some life-changing technology investment, it's a computer game with some spaceships (not) in it.

aleksendr posted:

Ok, let me give you my recommendation about StarCitizen :

DONT GIVE THEM MONEY

Ahh, don't worry. As soon as I realised they were selling internet spaceships for more money than I spend on a decent meal then there was no way I was buying into this bullshit.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Daztek posted:

Concierge card came in

OP's card:

Someone else's

:allears:

I was gonna comment on this way back in the thread when these first got mentioned but realised I was about 30 pages behind. Now that it's come up again I'll give CIG some hints and tips.

As someone who has been involved in providing marketing and merch for a whole shitload of companies let me first say, there is nothing unusual with sourcing this poo poo from the cheapest far east sweatshop you can find. Everyone does it (Sadly). It's because there's just no budget for making this stuff either because the product can't carry a western manufacturing cost but more often (as is the case here) just due to greed.

However, here is what every other entity does that those brain dead fucks at CIG either didn't think of or didn't care enough to do.

1. You get the goods bulk shipped to you from the factory. This stops all that poo poo with the customs and the customer seeing the shipped value and puts you in control of the product.
2. You check the loving goods. Seriously, Checking cards, keyrings, t-shirts whatever takes a couple of seconds per item and saves you sending a customer loving trash.
3. You repackage and ship the items. This is where you add the value. Mount the lovely card on a nice letter with some sticky poo poo (like you get the cards from your bank) and put it in a clean or branded envelope and send it first class.

There you go, you've still paid pence per card plus an hour of a receptionists time, but now your customers are gloating about their premium pieces of tat rather than ripping on them on reddit.

Honestly, they can't not gently caress up merch and they're supposed to a multinational company or 6.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 16, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Star Citizen: no wheelchair access

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Scruffpuff posted:

Hey there, Matilda
What's it like to be so lovely?
What's it like to be insane
And live the life of Walter Mitty
Only dumb
Spending time to defend the thumb
So fuckin' dumb

Hey there, Matilda
Don't you worry much about Sandi
She cares about as much about you
As she does about her family
Which is none
Her only care is number one
Your posting's done

Oh, the Smart man's set you free
Smart man's set you free

Hey there, Matilda
I know not posting is hard
But just believe me, freak
You'll never take your jpeg to the stars
Cause you're a fool
A broken, sad, deluded tool
Broke Reddit's rules

Smart man's set you free

:bravo:

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 21, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Daztek posted:

lol, spot the changes.

http://imgur.com/a/CRLrg

D..did they make the window aperture bigger because :pgabz: mocked them?

Goons ruin everything..

Edit.
This is the one you need to look at.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Why is the human beachball managing to make it look like he's ad-libbing his lines better than Sq42's female lead? Put the loving script down you dumb bitch.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's a fun question I want CIG to answer:

"If Squadron 42 does not sell well will there still be enough money to finish Star Citizen?"

A. Yes. Whales Citizens! We are pleased to announce the new ship "N+1", this badboy can go underwater to a depth of 15km and explore the ocean floor! Buy Pledge now!

*Note. Ship and water planets may or may not be added at a later date.

also...

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That picture is really good :golfclap: Gonna do a chairman mao style one now.

Thanks. It turns out the key to image editing, is knowing when to stop...:butt:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'd say this guy

But replace Tomcat with "D_Smart"

Well, I guess being as I have photoshop open...

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 31, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

The thing is, how can he say that when NO-ONE knows what point this dumb thing is actually at!

The product itself seems like a tech demo or pre-alpha. Major features lacking and game-breaking bugs all over the place.
The official line is it's in alpha (is that right?). Though probably only being called that so that it looks as though CIG have made some reasonable progress in the last few years. Oh yeah, and to cut off the customers refund option.
The way CIG are presenting it is like a beta. Open to anyone and being sold as a product with a kinda 'we have a few things to sort out' kinda attitude. You have a loving GAME to sort out!

How can they even market the game without any game mechanics in place, no design documents, nothing! They have soo far to go before this is a game it's unreal.

Like, on a scale of 1-100, I wonder how close that guy thinks those things are to being reality. You have a spaceship, check. Now just the universe, the planets, the fishing, the fish, the market, the economy! It's taken them 3 years and the best part of $100 million to get this far, how long and how much before you're fishing on a loving alien planet you deluded, brain-washed mongoloid?!!

Ahem, sorry. [/vent]

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

TommyNoble posted:

*Fall 2015: First episode of Squadron 42 released.
*2015: Squadron 42 Chapter One.
*End of 2015: First episode of Squadron 42 released.

I guess it's a good job no one gives a poo poo about this endless chain of cutscenes otherwise people might question how they were ever going to release Sq42 in 2015 when they still don't have a single playable mission to show off.

How can they keep getting away with telling people poo poo is nearly finished when they haven't even loving started?!

Day 1. Yeah, we should have your house painted in 4 days.
Day 2. It's coming along great, looks really good.
Day 3. Nice yeah, just putting the finishing touches on now.
Day 5. Ooh, we've run into a problem but should only delay us by a day or two.
Day 12. Right, what colour do you want this house painted then?

:froggonk:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

I've already predicted all this in my post over 100 pages ago! You can read the post here

Wrecked Angle posted:

A. Yes. Whales Citizens! We are pleased to announce the new ship "N+1", this badboy can go underwater to a depth of 15km and explore the ocean floor! Buy Pledge now!

*Note. Ship and water planets may or may not be added at a later date.

also...

LET ME loving FINISH!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Scruffpuff posted:

I never understood this mentality. It's basically the adult version of "BUT I WAAANNNTT IT!" There are over 3.6 billion women in the world. You can't conceivably hit on them all in your lifetime, but you should at least make a good showing. Make your move, she's not interested, move on instantly. Gotta keep on movin' on.

The moral of the story is this: White-Knighting Sandi is like putting a bulletproof vest on Charles Manson. Pretty sure someone out there needs, and deserves, it more.

I always thought the reason that either sex hated being put in the friendzone is that is that being as a relationship is basically being friends + intimacy and you're already friends. One person is telling the other they find them too repulsive to be intimate with...

Makes you think...

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Is this the stimpire?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Yeah, the instancing/multicrew thing just doesn't work and tbh is a prime example of why this thing is a complete scam.

If this were ever going to be real and existed in any form other than Crobbers 'dream' they don't even need to show a functioning version of these systems. They just need to show a design document showing how this stuff is going to work. They don't, because they don't know how it will work, because it doesn't work (most open game development ever right there).

And as touched on above, even if they performed some sort of miracle and ended up with large space instances that could support say 100 people (lol, yeah right). They then need to solve the gameplay issues of what happens when you fill 75 of those 100 slots with murderous goons. Yeah, thanks for building a nice simple way of relieving autists of their chariots right into the game.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
I'm not good real good with words or being clever so can some of you funny people do things like this because I find things like this amusing.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
What a lovely day to record a 'Goon-ya-da-ya-da'

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

I'm so torn.

On the one hand, these idiots gave TheCrobbler™ $$$'s when he showed them a jpeg of a loving spaceship and then moaned when the design of the stupid thing changed slightly.

On the other hand. Crobbler, these idiots gave you $$$'s for the spaceship in the god drat picture and that's what you should bloody well be making.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

:bandwagon:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
There's a saying an old friend told me about borrowing money which I think translates over to this mess..

"If you owe someone £50 it's your problem, if you owe someone £5000 it's their problem."

This is exactly what is keeping people from turning on CIG. If people had dropped $30 on this scam they'd have written it off already and be pointing and laughing with the rest of us. But they don't want to write off $250, they can't write off $1000, and the ones who have spent $10,000 or more will need to go on suicide watch when it finally clicks.

I remember when I was a kid pretending to play a terrible C64 game for hours on end because I'd begged my mum for it in the shop and I felt too guilty to admit it was bad. Now I imagine these people having to admit to themselves and their loved ones that they've poured a large amount of money into something which is either never going to materialise or be massively underwhelming if it does.

Keep lying to others, keep lying to themselves. Anything to keep the faith.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
RE: Buggygate

These people literally haven't played a computer game in the last 20 years have they?

I can just imagine this 45 year old neckbeard firing up the hangar module, then turning to his ageing mother who he's lived with his whole life and saying "Look Ma! It's just like I'm driving a real buggy! All 3D, look at the furdelity".

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

The whole thing just REALLY PISSES ME OFF. What the gently caress are they even doing over there. gently caress you, Lesnick. You're a loving clam. I don't use that word lightly. I've used it twice in my life. It hurts me to use a word that's insulting to molluscans, but YOU'RE A loving CLAM. You deserve that and words that haven't even been invented yet. I hate you. You deserve everything that's coming to you, and boy, will you get it in buckets and spades.

Seriously, though; gently caress him. I'll loving kill him if he comes after my battenberg cake.

:wreckedangle::wreckedangle::wreckedangle::wreckedangle::wreckedangle:
:CLAM::CLAM::CLAM::CLAM::CLAM::CLAM::CLAM:

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 16, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Colostomy Bag posted:

I shot ya that American Gothic. Please tell me I didn't miss it.

Because I could wait no longer.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look upon this perfection and ask nothing more of it.

But I already started on the version with the whale... :(

e: gently caress it.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

grimcreaper posted:

...Not to mention one of Goon Fleets leaders harassing a guy non stop in eve, and then elsewhere, until the guy considered suicide and the goon fleet guy, ON STAGE with CCP told him he should do it if he cant handle a little harassment after months and months of continued harassment in and out of Eve.

Haha, I think you've let your imagination run away with you a bit there dude. They exploded his pixels a few times, exchanged a few in game messages and then while on stage at fanfest Mittani spouted off "If you wanna make the guy kill himself then his name is The Wis".

I love that a few years on that story has started to mutate into folklore when the only difference between that incident and every other day in Eve is a dumb drunken comment made to a room full of nerds.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

peter gabriel posted:

I'm staying well out of this one :lol:

Can you make me an LoD gameplay video please :pgabz:. I have cc in hand but am on the fence.

Edit: What does his symbol mean on Steam? I can't read but isn't this sign normally bad? Well, I mean associated with bad things?

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 20, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

I am will be the server in about 30 mins

Cool, I'll take the surf and turf and a diet coke. Thanks.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

$3M per month is a better estimate, since Frontier Developments (who publishes their finances annually) costs $2.5M per month, has one studio, and has the same number of employees as CIG. Likely it's higher than that.

Yeah, so even with that very conservative estimate (let's face it, Frontier aren't jetting around the globe continually or running $20,000 coffee machines) we're talking $100,000-120,000 a day in operating costs. They must be burning through a couple of million a month by the time they've made a few indulgences.

So I guess the question is, do they have enough in reserve to get them through until the Sq42 release (which will obviously save the day)?

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Re: Starfarer or whatever..

Yes, because nothing that has been hyped then pushed back, then pushed back, then pushed back has ever been a disappointment on release. :rolleyes:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
I made a handy chart for those of you that are still having trouble understanding software development.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
They're back onto the topic of private servers on the brown sea (Don't let your dreams die guys!!). Guys like Luke here are great though...

Love the authority in the first statement. A lot of things should happen with regard to SC Luke, but in case you haven't noticed there's been a trend developing.

Then the wild, completely uninformed, shot in the dark that 'a simple i5 with a decent internet connection will support a dozen players and 2-3 concurrent instances'. Based on what Luke?

I mean I'm sure you've taken into account the needs of the other 99 or whatever systems that don't even exist yet. Or the overhead of the 100's of NPCs which are going to be scattered everywhere like confetti. Or the hundreds of simulated market transactions that give you your living, breathing economy.

Why not have an old Athlon be able to run it all? Or really go for it and say you need dual Xeons because this is the BDSSE? But no, an i5 will do it, I think you're right.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 20, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I asked this very question of Will Lewis when I visited CIG last January. Nobody there knew how to respond.

You mean they didn't just yell that you didn't understand game development? Strange. I thought they'd at least have been briefed on the standard set of responses.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
All this talk of how to drop out of warp (or whatever they call it) in Elite made me realise I have no idea how they do this in Star Citizen. Is it a similar system or do you just select your destination and then arrive there? I've never really paid attention in the travelling bits of any videos I've seen.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

AugmentedVision posted:

Dude they literally don't know how logging out is gonna work, you really think they've thought of this?

Yeah, I've just watched a video and at the moment it looks like you just click on a destination and then it switches to an out of ship view for a few seconds and then you arrive there. Wow, it's going to be so much fun being a space trucker in SC...

*Look at icon
*Click
*Wait 5 seconds
*Arrive
*Rinse and repeat

I mean, I know the Elite method can be a bit tedious but at least you have to do something to get to where you wanna go.

Also :lol: look at this guy trying to land all serious like in this janky mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvt8kFloPA&t=1015s

Landing gear deployed
Landing gear raise..Landing gear deployed
Weapon system damaged
Landing gear raised
*view of pilot getting out of chair upside down

:doh:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Chalks posted:

Yeah, exploration simply isn't a thing in SC. We've already seen full maps of all the stars, who owns what etc. There's no exploration to be done in the tiny corner that humanity is apparently confined to in this "'universe"

So that's a no to exploration, trading/space trucking is gonna be a click fest with no actual gameplay and we haven't heard anything about mining or whatever. There's just one enemy race so are you just gonna be fighting the same few ships over and over again in missions?

Players can't capture poo poo so persistence in the PU seems mostly meaningless other than keeping track of your inventory.

What exactly are you supposed to be doing for 'years' in this game again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
I mean, it's loving weird that all these nerds are throwing money at their screens for Star Citizen when it seems all they want is Elite with the ability to get out and float about a bit.

Then these idiots will realise that the only thing more annoying than getting your ship blown up is getting 360noscoped by some CoD kiddy while trying to check out your quest logs or whatever and leaving your $1000 autism chariot just floating there.

• Locked thread