Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tipps posted:

The thought of "old stock" whites patting themselves on the back for being so cosmopolitan and tolerant because a brown family moved-in down the street is hillarious. :colbert:

Although Canadians as a whole are far from perfect, we are not even close to one of the more racist countries. We are in the top third of being inclusive to other races, if anything. Thats one of the things I love about this country and our people. Hey, we may have 3 vocal racists out of 100, but compared to other countries, we are doing great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Obama's actions in office (like the actions of every post war president) easily pass the bar for exactly the actions that we executed the Nazis for at Nuremburg.

What?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Management is just a ballpit where well connected people go who have intellectually checked out of their job due to family/kids/whatever but who are too young/poor to retire.

Lol

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weed conference incoming at 1030.

Decrim for now? Extensive sales plan for legalization? Whole thing scrapped? We need committes for 10 more years?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I know this question provoked multiple long gun-nerdy posts but I prefer the Economist's definition:

If the C8 fits that definition, maybe we should have a discussion around whether every beat cop needs that kind of capability close at hand?

Its far from every beat cop having that capability. Of a regular platoon of 12-15 officers usually only 1-4 might actually take a patrol rifle out with them in their cruiser.

Im struggling to find a single example of a Canadian officer to have used a patrol rifle in an unjustified use of force. They are kept in the patrol car at all times and only carried by officers with extra training and re-certification every few years. They are only taken out of vehicle when approaching a call with an armed person, barricaded person or some sort of active shooter call. You want 'beat cops' with long arm capability exactly for the reasons like school shootings, terrorism, etc.

They also replace shotguns, the AR15 format is incredibly more accurate and controlled. Not to mention easier to operate for smaller or less experienced officers.

And they are much better firearm than the handgun for the most common use of police firearms in Canada. Dispatching struck deer/moose/cows on roadways.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 30, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm gonna go with "literally loving forever unless the officer(s) in question is/are queer" tbh

Police is a pretty queer occupation. Do you know a lot of cops? There is a large proportion of both gay/lesbian and bi officers then in a lot of other jobs.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm definitely going to need a source on this info. I also don't see that it necessarily has anything to do with what I said; the salient point is not that queer people and cops cannot coexist, it's that there's a poo poo-ton of bad history and bad blood between queer communities and police services in most places.

This is exactly the reason its so important today for there to be a upfront face from the police force saying "we are pro LGBT". Thats why they are at the parade. Because of the future not the past. If we exclude them from the parade how is that accepting them and them accepting LGBT in the future? Its a good thing that cops are in floats there, just like its good the PM was there.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 4, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like to thing we agree on the core ideas around this. We need more queer cops. Cops should support queer communities. I think we disagree who should be entitled to participate in the parade. Just because Trudeau isnt LGBT doesnt mean he doesnt represent the government , and in turn should be in the parade. Just like even if only 25% of the cops in the parade are LGBT, doesnt mean that 75% of them should be there because they represent the law enforcement community. I'd say its show a lot more to have 75 straight cops there going "i support this movement"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry Diplomat posted:

I mean, that's great, but are you queer? Because as a queer person I certainly appreciate your thoughts and your engagement in this dialogue but I'm not totally certain you get where I'm coming from here. The notion that anyone who isn't queer is "entitled" to march in Pride is kind of hosed up and is probably a symptom of its deviation from its roots; a lot of queer people today have only the vaguest idea of what Stonewall even was and don't realize Pride has anything to do with it at all.

Pride is our thing, and it's really, really important to us for a lot of reasons. Queer activists had to fight tooth and nail to help create a society that allows Pride to exist, and forcing their surviving old guard to stand by and watch straight cops drive a float in the parade is wrong. It's important to commemorate our history and remember what brought us to where we are today, and putting straight, cis, and often white and/or male officers in the parade itself flies in the face of that. Like I completely understand your argument but it just... doesn't address or suggest any understanding of the point of contention here at all.

e: I mean gently caress, police officers entering queer spaces without an invitation used to mean that a whole shitload of gay, lesbian, bi, and trans people were about to get beat the gently caress up and possibly chucked in a cell. This was true until very recently in this country's history, comparatively speaking. Do you really not grasp why some of us are a little unhappy to see straight cops claiming a space in Pride regardless of our own feelings on the matter?

No I am not queer, but I consider myself pro-queer. Maybe I have a distorted view of what the pride parade is in Toronto, where I thought it was more about inclusiveness and letting everyone say they are pro queer. Maybe there needs to be a queer celebration parade where cops/business/government can march in?

And I am aware of the history of queers being beaten/arrested/marginalized/killed by law enforcement, thats part of the reason I think its so important today they show they are pro lgbt.

Also only slightly related but this was a really cool and heartwarming story from a few weeks ago from England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-boyfriend.html

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 4, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

Then, you know, it's really cute that you think you get to have an opinion over who gets to be included in the parade, but you don't.

I know I dont get to decide anything, but I mean this is a forum and we have discourse on the issues. Does this float look like its adds or subtracts from the community?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpJV5VeABlk

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 4, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since I cant have an opinion as a straight guy, lets see what this gay cop thinks about it, and how he is treated by his coworkers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gay-cop-black-lives-matter-letter-1.3663323

Really, I think I just always thought the pride parade was cool as gently caress, and hoped someday if I worked for Netflix or the City Works or whatever, I could be cheering on a float too.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

What proportion of the TPS participants were queer, or genuine allies?

Essentially all in the float minus the high level executive officers. You volunteer your time to be on the float. You are either queer or very pro queer. Hard to say if all the high ranking ones are genuine because they have to show up regardless. The rank and file guys on the float arent getting paid, so Id imagine they just want to be there to support the community.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just saw this bad boy on reddit. This is the face of oppression, the gyrating, sexy hips and cute facial hair of oppression.

Guys almost a dead ringer for 40 something Mulcair too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhVnDIpBvTE

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

You know, maybe with the lone wolf attacks all across Europe and a handful in the States, we shouldn't immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion when the RCMP they've detained someone they suspect of trying to carry out a terrorist attack. It's really only a matter of time until it happens in Canada.

Matter of time? We've had several terrorist attacks in the past few years in Canada. Parliament, the CF facility in Toronto,etc.

Appears this is the suspect that was killed by police officers today. Fits the profile of lone wolf terrorists. Lonely, weird, desperate young men usually with social or mental health issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/aaron-driver-defends-isis-attack-on-parliament-but-denies-he-s-a-threat-1.3124815

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 11, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tin Hat posted:

It's not illegal to be rude to a cop

Yeah but it sure is stupid and a zero-sum game.

THC posted:

The cop literally began their whole interaction with "listen we can do this all voluntarily, or I can tear your car apart and charge you for everything in it"

Then when my friend cooperated meekly and answered all their questions, the cop still tore his car apart. Then when he couldn't find anything to charge him with, he left him stranded in the middle of nowhere BC. Lol

I wouldn't blame him if he was rude to the dick cop after being put through that but I doubt it, it's not his personality

Did his car stink like pot? Was he speeding? Weed leaf hat? What is missing from the story here

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
1 - this thread blows because it's all a circle jerk of whiney entitled leftist group think and anytime someone has a slightly different opinion (or even a casual though that's in disagreement) they get stomped.

2 - ci your ironic low effort anti Canada posts aren't funny and youre an entitled brat who is too stupid to realize we are all super lucky to live in one of the best countries in the world.

Peace out

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you a Harper supporter

Nope. Voted lib in last election

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't know if you heard but John Baird retired already.

Did I miss Baird coming out after he left politics?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I thought you had a whiny meltdown and left this thread to us leftist circle jerking group thinkers.

One single post calling out one of the biggest shitposters in this thread. Yup thats a meltdown.

Can't stay away and let the groupthink echo so much the walls break down.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JVNO posted:

This is so true. A very common response in comment threads of any murder or violent crime story on the east coast is 'bring back the death penalty'- heck, I even see calls for a return to public gallows/hanging pretty often.

Other frequent arguments include: 'the justice system is broken', it's too easy/never ever hands out a sentence qualifying as enough', and 'criminals have more rights than victims'.

There, I covered 90% of arguments on Facebook comment threads about criminals.

The justice system in Canada is in fact broken.

The amount of serial sex offenders (and violent criminals for that matter) that are released well still at high risk to re-offend is outstanding.

Basically the only way for someone to stay locked up is to be a serial or spree killer. Besides that, rape away every 5-10 years.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If you're going to make this claim in regard to Takahashi then I'd like to see some numbers on the number of serial sex (or otherwise) offenders that re-offended after age 60. Especially after serving 30+ years in jail.

I'll save you the trouble: it's statistically tiny, because 'criminal menopause' is real. The VPD is just covering their asses by warning the public, due to the high profile nature of the case.

I wasn't making it particularly in regards to Takahashi, as he really doesn't fit the profile. But according to the professional working around him before, he was seen as moderate to high risk to re-offend .

Theres a lot of argument in the study of recidivism of persons convicted of sexual crimes, and the numbers vary wildly depending on how the numbers are recorded (if you included just convictions and not charges etc) which can make the rates vary from 5% to 40%.

In particular the rates of recidivism of child sex offenders are staggering. And thats just for the people that are caught, as child sex crimes are hugely under reported.

Just take a look at this paper and try to not feel disgusted or scared.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/jr/jr13/p5d.html

I'm sure you've read countless stories in the media about serial child sex offenders committing crimes after release. I'd be fine with a 2 strikes you're in custody for life policy. You had your chance to attempt rehabilitation. Now you are stuck in the box to not hurt more people.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jordan7hm posted:

How tiny? Given how small that population must be, even a single reoffender probably impacts the numbers a noticeable amount.

quote:

There were very few recidivists among the sexual offenders released after age 60 (5/131 or 3.8%). The "over-60" recidivists included 2 extrafamilial child molesters (2/45 or 4.4%) and 3 unclassified offenders (3/37 or 8.1%). None of the incest offenders (n = 39) or rapists (n = 10) who were over 60 at time of release recidivated. The oldest recidivist in the sample was released at age 72 and was reconvicted for a sexual offence the following year.

from
http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/sxl-rcdvsm-cmprsn/index-en.aspx

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Scotch posted:

If you want to take a bite out of crime then go after poverty.

Agreed, we should be doing so much more for poverty and the affect that has on crime in general. Of course its tied in immensely with theft, robbery, drug crimes and domestic violence.

Not sure what this has to do with serial sex offenders.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Those aren't serial rapists.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing an actual life sentencing option for serial killers and serial rapists.

I agree, I don't know if the numbers have ever been counted that way before. Maybe in the USA. But they are in general much tougher sentencing then we are in Canada.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

Summarily execute all criminals. Everyone knows rehabilitation is impossible

Makes about as much sense as letting a child molester on parole for the 2nd or 3rd time.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So if Elizabeth May leaves the Green Party where does she end up? NDP ? Libs? Indy?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RBC posted:

i cant think of a single positive thing the liberal party has done since getting elected besides not being harper

Can't even tell whats sarcastic or not as this point. If not, wow.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

Yeah, we've established that you can't even shoot someone who's trespassing and actually in the act of stealing something or doing some other criminal act, so my guess is this guy will be guilty of at least manslaughter.

Yup. Can't shoot people for stealing in this country. Only way this guy has a chance of getting off is if one of the trespassers

1-had a knfie
2-tried to grab his gun
3-were breaking into his house

I do wonder what we are missing from this story. Maybe I am naive but I dont picture the guy just walking out front door once he saw a car pull up and he starts randomly shooting. Obviously there was some kind of confrontation.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maybe compared to urban Canadians but on a global scale all Canadians (including our rural residents )are not very racist.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

[Citation Needed]

Just one example but I'm sure you have heard research like this before. On the world stage Canada has been known as a fairly progressive cultural mosaic and tolerant country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

I'm not sure what groups you encounter day to day in Canada but in my experience in Ontario , both city suburban and rural the large majority I meet are much more likely to judge you based on what hockey team you support rather than your skin colour.

That's not to say the country is without sin when it comes to discrimination. I don't think anyone would argue there was institutional racism in the country's history. But overall, as good as humans can be with our biases, we are doing well on a global scale.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 19, 2016

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fining comedians for a joke is p. stupid. Even if it's a bad joke. What is this Russia?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Serious post, yall better be watching the hip concert tonight on cbc

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

I'm just glad they'll never make music ever again

This concert has been fantastic and the kind of thing that would be written about in encyclopedias if they still made those things. I don't even understand the type of people that couldn't appreciate it at face value. Must be like that one kid in your high school class that would make a point of saying how he wasn't gonna watch the Olympic hockey finals because its a waste of time and instead would be watching reruns of his favourite anime for the tenth time.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, they've had intermissions between every 6-8 songs this tour, probably so Gord can go sit down for a minute/have a drink/chill out. You can tell he's just fighting hard not to just fall over some of the time.

Nice avatar.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I also am laughing at how many people think the Hip arent distinctly Canadian. The have a giant catalogue of interesting, literary songs that are all about Canada.

And if this is one of your first times hearing them and couldnt sign along, go buy the greatest hits double cd, its usually on sale for like 10 bucks. And then go to one of the obsessive fansites* and learn about the stories and themes behind the songs. They are a pretty fantastic band and will be missed.

* http://www.hipmuseum.com/index.html

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This (among so many other idiotic beliefs like homeopathy and other pseudoscience) is why no one takes the party seriously.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The problem with cops is that they're all people who choose to be cops.

Was a huge problem in the 50s-80s but now the mindset/background/race/gender are closer to the general population as police are paid well and have good benefits. About half of a class of new recruits these days in Toronto are either visible minorities,women,university grads, speak a second language, etc. Turns out a lot of different people want to make 100 grand a year and have a defined benefit pension after 30 years.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is legal weed here yet?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who did they have on? Not watching the full youtube. Please tell me you dont think some dumb 20 year old TA who shoved a TVO vid is a nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Agreed on a higher premium for large vehicles.

Grew up in the boonies where the roads didn't get plowed that often in the winter. At the time almost everyone drove small cars. No one needs a large truck or SUV to drive safely in thick snow.

Where were you where this was common? I live in an rural farming area now and most families have an SUV/Truck and a commuter car. If the roads arent plowed, you arent going to be even able to get your toyota corolla through the side streets to the highways to drive to work since a car cant clear more than 6-12 inches of snow. Families absolutely need a Truck/Real Suv if they 100% need to show up for work everyday, regardless if the plows are servicing concessions and sideroads. A car weighs less, grips better, stops quick, and controls easier in snow, its a safer snow vehicle (unless you are in a collision with a truck). But if its deep, it wont even get on top of it and be able to leave town. Thats only like 1 or 3 days out of the year, but hey, sometimes you need a truck.

edit : That being said the meme about seeing tons of 4WD trucks in ditches is VERY true. Newer drivers thing 4x4 somehow makes you brake harder, when really it only helps with acceleration when you shouldn't be. Doesn't end well.