Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

Canadians have long had a strange inferiority/superiority complex feedback loop, the dirty little secret is we're really just slightly toned down Americans (and not by much).

That's why CI's posts aren't shitposts. Canadians are the shitposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Trudeauverload

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

When I was a kid my Dad used to pick me up from daycare every Friday and take me to the Royal Ontario Museum, which was free. That policy got shitcanned under Mike Harris and the admission price went up to something ridiculous like $20 (I think a couple years ago they started to reduce the price somewhat from it's peak but it's still pretty steep).

It's honestly kind of surreal to go back not that far into the past and find a genuine (albeit imperfectly implemented) social commitment to providing affordable access to entertainment (not to mention high culture) to a wide swath of the population.

Nowadays it's become widely accepted that "the market" should determine access to everything, which in practice means that if you're poor your idea of a good time can easily end up being a joint, a McDonalds meal and some illegally downloaded television. Going out (or even living in a community where "going out" to enjoy art, culture, night life, decent food, interesting spectacles, etc.) is increasingly out of reach for a lot of people, who end up living depressing and socially atmoized lives that revolve around the internet, television, work and a small circle of personal acquaintances.

Personally I think a lot of our other problems as a society come in part from the way that politics, economics and urban planning have all too often demolished pre-existing social communities and then seemingly salted the earth so that nothing else can grow. It's no wonder to me GamerGate idiots think their hobby is a "culture" (indeed a lot of internet geek communities seem to be little more than simulated ethnicities for neckbeads and shut ins) worth viciously defending when they've got so few social prospects.

Combine this tendency toward the unravelling of communitarian feelings (and the economic destruction of the conditions that lend themselves toward new forms of sociability outside the internet) with the increasing stressfulness of modern life and I think you create a very dangerous situation.

Perhaps I'm glamorizing the past here too much but honestly the direction our culture is moving in seems totally incompatible with any kind of popular self rule, let alone individual self control. Our entire economy and society is built around buying and selling poo poo and the best consumers are insecure and filled with self loathing. Unfortunately the kind of people who are good consumers aren't very good citizens.

When the time comes you can come live with me on my commune

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

Change will come to Canada ten years after the rest of the world unloads neoliberalism.

I for one look forward to being able to point out the encroaching global fascist nightmare to my oblivious suburbanite neighbours

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Mansbridge should retire if only because everything about his "news" voice sounds like somebody had a stroke in the middle of their horribly twisted and drunken Christopher Plummer impersonation

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

Liberals no longer promising to reopen Veterans Affairs office in Sydney.

Liberals waffling on the overseas mission.

Liberals say the cupboard is bare, we can't afford all the infrastructure spending they promised.

Who is surprised?

These Liberals, surely they could not be libbing already

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

gently caress humanity, got mine

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

So Bell Media has gone through their staff with a hatchit today.

They've been getting rid of everyone at the top of their pay grade for over a year now. Broadcast television is dying.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

I don't really like the idea of the government having a profit based incentive to harass pot growers or sellers. Decriminalization is good but imposing a restrictive government monopoly isn't. I really hope that legalization involves letting people grow their own stuff instead of cracking down harder than ever on growers to protect government or private corporate interests,

Hahah we all loving know what's going to happen

Liberals gonna liib

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you have a uniform and a faction logo like an 80's cartoon show you are a Good Guy and whatever you do is Good and Just, but if you don't you're just a thug and whatever who cares what happens to you, you're probably a rapist or want to feed the poor or something

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I know most people itt don't find NDP insider chat interesting but I'm gonna push on through:

So you want a return to the days where the NDP was a permanent 3rd party getting 10-15% of the vote every election? I sympathize, but as someone who worked alongside NDP staffers and is still friends with a few of them, I just can't agree with you. The jobs of those staffers and their MPs depend on winning elections. Now that the party's tasted victory, there's a strong culture of people whose careers depend on finding another victory. And that's not a bad thing, that's just part of being a mature political party that's capable of winning an election. Having a party full of part-timers, activists and grizzled union vets is all well and dandy, but if you actually form government you're gonna need a fleet of high-energy policy wonks who care more about getting poo poo done than about staying ideologically pure. In Greece we saw what happens when a left-wing protest party accidentally wins an election. I was incredibly excited about Syriza's victory because I thought they were going to revolutionize the way politics were done. Instead, they just made a bunch of amateur mistakes and squandered their opportunity.

It's not like there's a dearth of leftist organizations promoting all kinds of radical policies. IMO the NDP doesn't need to be another one of those- it should be a serious political party whose job is to win elections and potentially form a government some day. If that means we get a less-corrupt, slightly-more-progressive version of the Liberals, then great! That still sounds better than the status quo to me.

On the other hand, if there's going to be a society-wide leftist revolution that fundamentally transforms the way politics works in Canada, that's great too! But that shouldn't be the NDP's goal. There's a lot of really smart, driven people working insanely long hours for the NDP, people who frankly do more to advance leftist politics in a single election than a hundred grumpy old Marxists, and those people have staked their careers on the NDP being a professional, serious political party. It's neither fair nor realistic to expect those people to consign themselves to life on the political sidelines. They'll just hold their noses and jump ship to the Liberals instead.

PS: Free tuition and any variant on it is awful policy, even when Barack Obama was doing it.

What makes the NDP a "serious" party and why should people who make less than six figures give a poo poo anymore

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

The NDP shouldn't be a party by, of, and for NDP staffers on the Hill, it should be a party for the Canadian working and lower classes, and frankly if the party is going to abandon trying to effect positive change for those groups in order to keep its staffers in a job then why the gently caress should this party even exist?

The Liberals won the election the minute they began running ads with a young man promising to tax the rich, basically making the Safe Moderate NDP totally loving irrelevant to anyone who wasn't already solidly in the "middle class"

Moderate Mainstream Canadians are still pretty lovely people and repeated attempts to appeal to their twisted sensibilities will only end in tears, the NDP's current leadership needs to be routed and permanently marginalized by any means necessary if the party is to have any relevance in the future

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Who can I vote for that is like Helsing? Nobody? gently caress.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

An NDP that does not form government is what many of their followers want, apparently. They would prefer a permanent rump party as long as it panders to them and their opinions 100% of the time.

If the NDP forms government by becoming Liberal Party II: Lib Harder then what is the point of these people, better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees. Of course the NDP's current leadership seems to think it's better to live on their knees and then die anyway so gently caress them

And yeah I'd like if if they pandered to me instead of pretending like the poor and the working class don't exist and aren't suffering, big loving shock

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

The party does in fact regularly acknowledge the existence and suffering of the poor. Most if not all party members will readily tell you they are in it to help the poor and the working class.

Wouldn't know it from the way they campaigned. Instead,I saw a lot of mealy-mouthed pandering to born on third fucksticks who were never inclined to listen to them anyway.

quote:

Dumb aphorisms about glorious battle honour would hit harder if the rest of your post wasn't so completely detached from reality.

I'm not detached from reality, you and the people in control of the NDP are. They can never win on the support of people who do not understand and will never trust them and even if it could it would mean abandoning whatever worth they have as a political organization, because if you're going to vote that route the Liberals already exist.

e:fb ffffuck

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

No really most people elsewhere with the exception of Australia and England are really p cool. Canadians have got to be the most arrogant sacks of poo poo I have ever had to interact with.

"Middle class" Canadians are typically insufferable because they don't know the value of what little money they have, how they have it or the value of any human lives they don't immediately associate or interact with regularly, yet they are just comfortable enough to (in their minds) justify their callous disregard for others

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

perhaps

just grasping at straws here, a wild guess if I may be so bold

it is you who is the arrogant piece of poo poo.

eXXon posted:

Hey good job quoting a terrible post from a sheltered sociopath and agreeing with it.

Nope, it's the middle class Canadians again

CI's posts aren't always 100% bang on but his contempt for the average Canadian is eminently justifiable

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

No it's not

It's sad and pathetic, actually

You're taking this awfully personally, it sounds like you're identifying just a bit too much with your fellow missasauganites my friend

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Be more concise: Canadian Politics Megathread: Canadians are human garbage

We should split it up appropriately, like so

Canada Debt Bubble: I'm kinda jacking off at the prospect of you being financially ruined tbh

Canadian Politics Megathread: Canadians are human garbage

I really feel the canpol title is more of a public service message, warning any oblivious traveller that the veneer of Canadian civility and tolerance is paper thin

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The onus is on the Liberals to prove that they will not, in fact, Lib.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

If you actually went to class while you were in school you're unfit to govern. After the NDP leads the revolution we'll put the finest minds the CFS has to offer in charge of running the planned economy and collectivizing the weed farms :ussr:

even when you're loving around you make more sense than most

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
CI is a better person than most Canadians

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I say we abandon the cities and force everyone into woods and into collectivist farms.

lee adama over here, oh

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“We’re no longer new,” she said wryly. “We’re certainly not democratic. And no one is having a party anywhere.”

This is great, this is the best thing
I can't stop laughing

I mean, she's right but it's just amazing to see it put that way

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was watching for the rad plot-driving guitar solos

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Also you can overdose on eucalyptus. A thing I learned in school that really weirded me out because that means at some point in time someone sucked back 400 pounds of cough drops and probably died.

The one time I tried smoking cigarettes I ended up with a really sore throat, so I ended up eating like 4 or 5 packages of Halls within a 24 hour period and the result was uncontrollable neon orange liquid shits for roughly 45 minutes that same evening

The lesson here is that tobacco is awful and should be banned

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

jm20 posted:

What do you mean its hard to find my suburban house???

This is what hell looks like.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I love that the cameraguy did the "can you believe this fucker" zoom in at the end there

The older I get the more I realize that the cartoonishly villainous depiction of rich old and mostly white people in popular media is actually completely accurate

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this general attitude people in this thread have towards Albertans is really hosed, but you're doing a good job of demonstrating why they have that attitude.

I'm from Buenos Aires southern ontario and I say-

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Yea, most people that walk into great jobs do so because of family connections (or luck)

And everyone else eat increasing amounts of poo poo, now you're getting it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean, if that's your attitude, sure. Success is literally just luck so why even bother.

Before y'all sew Canadian flags to your mec backpacks and go take ~a sabbatical~ in Europe or some poo poo, remember, Canadians are loving human garbage

They sure are, CI. They sure are

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I'm not a bootstraps libertarian by any means but some of you need serious help

Yeah some of you are really pampered little shits, honestly

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rich kids will invariably choose to gently caress everyone else over, the only difference is the degree to which they think we should get hosed

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

how is this post not bannable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0AI-N98r2E

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

blah_blah posted:

Canada still probably has much worse prospects in the short-mid term than the US does (assuming that Trump doesn't get elected).

Once our economy really starts going to poo poo the chances that people will fall for an authoritarian windbag like Trump here will probably go up

After Rob Ford I'm not sure I could handle how fully retarded that would look

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
CanPol Megathread: I hate to say it but your views on Roman Gaul are hilariously revisionist

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's funny watching Solomon struggle to stay relevant on twitter

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm glad the CBC has the moral integrity to immediately fire staff for their absolutely heinous and disgusting behaviour as soon as they catch wind of it, instead of ignoring it because of the 'stardom' of the individual.

It's funny that they nailed him for that but Amanda Lang gets to stay employed, guess he wasn't as valuble to some people as she was

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

lol all conservatives are trash bastards, no exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Seriously how do people end up this stupid