Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wastes needs to be drafted, you can't just grab as many as you need. Had wondered if they would provide them for land tables. Two versions so they are twice as common as a normal common.

Also confirmed that {D} is a going-forward mana symbol. Ian Duke also strongly implied that things costing specifically {D} was more of a Oath of the Gatewatch mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

tgijsola posted:

Maybe someone at Wizards will write a five page diatribe on how MTGO being broken for big events kills hype for their digital products and is actually also theft somehow and then they'll take MTGO seriously

Isn't their standard diatribe on this sort of thing about how magic players can't possibly understand how complicated mtgo is and how we should all just shut up and be happy with what we have?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Why the hell would I comment on what she looks like? She just punted G1 and then lost.

What did she punt G1?

And TBF game 2 was over when she mulled to 6 got one land, and didn't draw another. MAYBE you cursecatcher the draw 3, but giving up your 2-axis pressure when it's not winning you the game seems suss.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The card says that when it enters the battlefield it "loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." This says that the only legal target would be the Worldgorger.

No. That trigger goes on the stack but you select the target before that trigger resolves.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The trigger that makes it lose "Enchant Creature in a GY." OK. It doesn't read that way though.

No when it's flickered it's a new object with it's base attributes, not it's modified attributes. It's as if it's a new Animate Dead.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Modern Knighthelm / Aggro thing. It's fun to play!

Deck: Bant Aggro/Control

//Lands
2 Breeding Pool
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Island
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Gavony Township
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
3 Boros Charm
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
2 Remand
3 Retreat to Coralhelm

//Creatures
2 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Steppe Lynx
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Wild Nacatl

//Sideboard
3 Spellskite
2 Dispel
2 Flashfreeze
2 Celestial Purge
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Remand
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege

Display deck statistics

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zoness posted:

im at a loss for words personally

I can't really control myself, and I wish there was an alternate, but I really wish I could delete this from my memory.

EDIT: ^^^ Really?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

you can just make a legendary werewolf
and theres nothing weird about it

:coffeepal:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wishes are clearly bad and that's why they don't see play in any format.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about!
Why did they think this was acceptable art?

It's a promo and their lacking-any-shits-to-give about promo art has been well established.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

And that's why Bruna costs 3 more than Gisela

But Avacyn...

:getin:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Just remember boys and girls, I'm a shitler for complaining about removal that doesn't deal with 2/3s when you lose to white nighthawk. I'm being a big babby and have no legitimate complaint.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I thought this is what sealed existed for?

Also I thought the whole in-pod thing was more variance in pack quality than "I can hate draft my opp's deck".

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Holy gently caress, you people are easy.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zoness posted:

this guy knows that the japanese folklore set "failed" because it was a better simulacrum of japanese folklore than people wanted right

I call bullshit there wasn't even one catgirl or schoolgirl or mecha.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

people are mad about ladies night and called it sexist??? lmao

It's about Ethics in Card Games Journalism.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Where's the cheerios name from?

Ever since Trix was a deck magic players think it's clever to force decks to have names of breakfast foods.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Alris posted:

Not bad, but it needs some theme music. One of the following should suffice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QbJRAWvRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQSHg-SJXR8

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

odiv posted:

Or confusing random with evenly distributed like some people I play with.

This is mostly it. People think that well-randomized means they don't draw 5 lands in a row.

This is also why most people think the mtgo shuffler is unfair.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

Alpha investments says FOW is going down the shitter.

So we should all invest, right?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

As a control player, we have a tough situation in the new format. No 4cmc sweeper, no powerful draw spell (ie Sphynx's Revelation or DtT) and no Aetherling style 1 of finisher. I think if there are control decks in this meta they're going to be bloated midrange decks, dictated by board permanents (creatures, walkers, oaths etc) like we have seen recently, not "true" control. I love RtB and Painful Truths but they are NOT Revelation or DtT

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

4. The actual creature doesn't disappear from the plane. It's basically incarnating a magical construct of your memory of them.

Did this change? I thought canon was all the things you summoned were really pissed at you for dragging them away for your petty squabbles. But ooold flavor.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

On another topic, the green Gearhulk is a disgusting magic card. You will be very sick of it very soon.

post a list

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone play Sword of War and Peace, either.

SoWaP was good in standard delver mirrors because it had protection from geist.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Lawnie posted:

Got a rules source for this? I've never been called on it, although I'm not exactly an LGS regular.

It's 3.8 under the 'Tournament Rules' document:

Section 3.8 of Tournament Rules posted:

Players using markers to represent in-game components (e.g. permanents) must have a way of clearly representing
any in-game status, such as whether a permanent is tapped. Sleeves or card backs that appear similar to any
player’s sleeves or card backs may not be used as markers.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone else use xMage for playtesting and whatnot? I've been doing some of that lately to try and test out some decks before I buy them, but I'm mostly just loving around against the CPU because I dread going against actual humans willing to rage over fake representations of digital cardboard. Do we have a discord channel or anything for like-minded folks?

Come to IRC more of us are trying to play. Mind we're not always playing bleeding edge tier 1 poo poo. There's been talk of starting a discord or trying to jump on the goon game discord; but we haven't yet.

90% of xmage games against other players are fine. Plus there's literally no investment so if someone is being a salty prick you can just concede the match and ignore them.

XMage is good for figuring out if you like how a deck plays, or learning internal interactions in your deck. Against randos, it is bad for any amount of actual testing, or sizing up a rogue brew. (People who play on xmage are by and large horrible at the game.)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hellsau posted:

So I'm 8-1 at Grand Prix Atlanta. Skysovereign is a messed up magic card. Every game I played that card immediately became an unloseable farce. The only game that came close was the one where I was at 3 and my opponent was at 20 - I played Skysovereign, and three turns later my opponent casts Combustible Gearhulk and draws three and then dies.

It probably shouldn't only crew for 3.

Grats dude.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Does anyone else think the gremlin on the left is doing a sexy pose with it's legs like "hey sailor let's chew up some inventions?"

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Why didn't the broadcasters point out what Ketter did to the judges?

WoTC pretty explicitly doesn't want to use coverage got help judge calls because not every match has that luxury. When "the booth" corrects boardstate it tends to be things that are GRV not just missed triggers and the like (things you would be allowed to point out if you were watching).

Now, why they don't ask the coverage people what they saw is a different story (which is allowed during investigation if the judge knows you were watching.)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Yes.

Looks like you're having a memory lapse. :haw:

Don't point it out... You should let him make a Silent Departure.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

It's Not as false as some want you to belive

quote:

Having chosen a for-profit corporate form, the craigslist directors are
bound by the fiduciary duties and standards that accompany that form. Those
standards include acting to promote the value of the corporation for the benefit of
its stockholders. The “Inc.” after the company name has to mean at least that.
Thus, I cannot accept as valid for the purposes of implementing the Rights Plan a
corporate policy that specifically, clearly, and admittedly seeks not to maximize
the economic value of a for-profit Delaware corporation for the benefit of its
stockholders—no matter whether those stockholders are individuals of modest
means or a corporate titan of online commerce.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eternal-playable specifically doesn't count Modern, which is not an Eternal format. :smug:

Legacy isn't an eternal format either. It could accurately be described as a format that starts with Revised/The Dark. (Given what's actually played)

:smugdog:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Also, the duals were printed back in ABU (ok, Volcanic Island wasn't in Alpha), and they're pretty key parts of the format, so not sure what the "actually played" is referring to. Unless it's a point about Revised duals being more accessible?

I meant more like you can assemble every played legacy deck from cards printed after in and after revised. Mostly I just think the 'eternal' vs. 'non-rotating' distinction is pretty :goonsay: and funny.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Oh wait, spoiler season is when we complain about how WotC hates our color of choice so I bet it'll be more like

UUUU

Counter target spell, draw a card
Revolt - draw another card card

Sorcery.

Turn 1 play it. Turn 2 play it twice.

So why couldn't this be a red card?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

So this set is REALLY aggressive...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

BTW, just in terms of finance, this set looks horrible so far. I have no idea where the value will be yet. All the playables seem to be cheap creatures at rare.

Good. Maybe having good removal back at uncommon will lower the price of standard.

Oh wait who am I kidding.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

One Standard non-embarassing deck IS cheap right now.

FIFY

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

Not even the best 2 drop it can grab in decks that can get g/w. Still probably won't see play in modern though.

It's best shot is in Evolution/CoCo decks that run Melira combo, since you can evolution a birds into this and grab Melira or Seer back out of the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So why couldn't this have been a red card?

• Locked thread