Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
When are spoilers actually meant to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then, without a type, by what mechanic does Wastes mane ♦?
The same mechanic by which Bestowed Auras can't fizzle, I guess. Just a thing in the rules that says it does. I know people that were really annoyed about Bestow just having a weird clause that doesn't appear on any card.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

That fake RW manland from a few weeks back used art from a promo video, so it's not impossible for them to have found some somewhere.

Can anyone find this art anywhere? It does look like the style of the listed artist, so it shouldn't be too difficult if it's already out there.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Niton posted:

Yeah, that's fair - I grew up with both Madness and Cycling, so it really pops to me, but you definitely have to read it a couple of times to really "get" it if you've never seen it before. I still think Ichor Slick would be fine to reprint at common in the right set, though - it works exactly like you think it does, and that counts for a lot when dealing with complexity issues.
The problem is that it's going to be a big leap for newer players to get that cycling and madness interact with each other, so a lot of them won't see the fourth casting mode until it's explained to them. In general designers have said that difficult cards are often ones with alternate casting costs, with enough players just not checking for them until they were going to cast them anyway to be a problem.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i always liked that split second stifle from time spiral but since referencing the stack is verboten it will never be reprinted

Maro actually posted on his tumblr that they could reprint split second - they'd just rejig the reminder text.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

See, I think this is a very flavorful take on splicing together creatures to make phyrexian compleations and horrors in the spirit of Yawgmoth's original tinkering. Compleation is a great flavor for Phyrexia and one of the things that consistently drives their horror aspect.

Except Bestow, creature enchantments, and equipment all do this better, because Ken Nagle doesn't know how to design within the existing mechanics.

Also living weapon did it really well I think

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I wouldn't quit Magic, but I'd quit judging. The name "split second" is the worst thing Wizards has ever done to judges. I was just starting out judging then, but I became exhausted trying to convince people that "split second" didn't mean they could just ignore priority, or ignore timing restrictions, or prevent triggered abilities from entering the stack, or freeze the stack and force the whole thing to resolve. I remember an argument over it so intense that a drink was thrown before I even got to the table to give a ruling. It involved Extirpate and Seething Song.
Who knows, the reminder text could end up being "(When you cast this spell, players can’t cast spells or activate abilities that aren’t mana abilities until it resolves. <Something something this doesn't mean you ignore timing, priority, or triggered abilities>)". I really doubt they don't look for judge feedback on reminder text amendments.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

I think they expect new players to get it more easily and the older players to get it eventually. The potential to incentivise people moving away from homogeneous fetches and shocks mana bases is nice, and it could mean cool pushed artifacts/equipment later on if it's ongoing. I really doubt we'll be seeing many colourless things in places where they weren't going to be already, though.

E:

AlternateNu posted:

These last two pages. :cripes:

Honestly, Wizards should have just kept the <> as an icon in mana costs, and left it as (1)/(2)/(3)/etc. in text boxes. Then there wouldn't be so much confusion between generic and colorless mana generation vs. payments.

Confusion for who? The colourless generic divide has been mentioned by Maro as a complexity issue. I kind of expect they'd be willing to confuse already committed players for a little while to make it easier on new players indefinitely.

is that good fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 8, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I think it's really stupid because it's a backdoor 6th color for bullshit reasons and fucks with templating with zero actual designspace gain that isn't a parasitic 6th color, and furthermore their marquee 6th color card is something that historically has not been a 6th color thing and that was the whole point of them.

They're really loving up the "eldrazi are colorless in a land of colors!" theme with BFZ and now with new Kozilek.

The design space can just be "this artifact would have been a {5} or else it would be too good and every deck would run it without any other changes so instead it's {1}{D}{D} and to run it you have to commit"

odiv posted:

They've already kind of had this opportunity for a while when they made artifacts that required coloured mana. I guess this is probably even more freeing though.

Coloured artifacts bring in an extra frame, and they don't use them all the time (I think it was because they want to keep artifacts more different from enchantments?).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

♦BG is not cost-wise different than WBG, which is why I'm calling it a backdoor 6th color. It's exactly the same functionality as another color, and it's being done for bad reasons (supporting their bad colorless flavor for eldrazi this go around).

A ♦BG card does not work better in a 2 color strategy than a 3 color strategy, it works in a different 3 color strategy.

Quantify this please. A WBG card can have double strike, or cheap flying, or be a life-based alt wincon. What can a DBG card do that a BG card can't? The problem with a sixth colour is that it would need to take design space from the other colours, which this doesn't do. At most it does the things that colourless already does.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I have no idea, that's why I'm saying it's loving retarded, and the notion of taking design space from other colors to build a future "colorless" identity is garbage, but that's about all the design space that ♦ as a cost adds.

Artifacts, but cheaper and less splashable is already a gigantic design space.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

yeah they're called other colors

No as in literally: modular, equip, mana rocks, indestructible, living weapon, artifacts/colourless matters, affinity (Incidentally a great way to put a minimum cost on colourless affinity cards), charge counters, etc. The mechanics that artifacts are currently using.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

They can already do this with the 5 previous colors, adding a 6th magic bullshit color does not open this design space up.
Black, red, and blue explicitly don't get indestructible as often as colourless does. Apart from green, there are exceedingly few nonland nonartifact permanents that unconditionally tap for mana. I don't think there are any coloured cards with modular? There are 7 coloured equipment cards to about 200 colourless ones. So no, they can't just use colourless mechanics on coloured cards.
E: A really easy example is to look for red or blue cards that do life gain. A bunch of colourless cards do life gain for cheap, so why can't red or blue cards? Because colourless has its own set of mechanics that other colours can't necessarily access.

is that good fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 9, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Except now colorless mana is ♦, so it'd say (♦ can only be paid for with ♦) which is basically not saying anything.

It's more likely to just say "{D} is the symbol for colourless mana." Or something.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Why do you need to make these colorless lifegain artifacts into colorless-matters cards to make them harder to splash? Why not just run a white card at that point if you want a difficult to cast lifegain card?
You probably don't for lifegain, no - that's why it was an example for a separate point. Read the rest of the post - the are plenty of mechanics that are exclusive to colourless or otherwise primary in colourless and secondary/tertiary in other colours.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

If you think about it, each hybrid symbol is also another color and so is Phyrexian mana so really there are twenty one colors

Twobrid and snow makes 31.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You're going to have to do it maybe 4-6 times a match, and most of those times are just +/-1. I think this is their attempt at a less tedious, more interesting fix of threshold. We also don't have flavour for it yet, so idk

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I liked the bullet point about leaks being bad because it keeps information from "less-enfranchised players" even though grand wizards have access to this info as long as they keep their mouth shut and only circulate it between a privilege few. :3:

I think they've said on multiple occasions that a majority of their players will never look at or post on a forum or reddit thread, so in that context it makes a fair amount of sense that less-enfranchised players are pretty often not going to see leaks until a fair amount later than the most enfranchised players.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Niton posted:

Is there an actual good reason they can't just clean it up a bit? Do they just hate referring to the stack that much?

Iirc it's kind of wonky because you end up casting spells in the middle of other spells and that gets pretty confusing for a lot of players. They could definitely redo it though, I reckon.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
When infect and wither creatures/sources deal damage to creatures, they put a number of -1/-1 counters on the damaged creature equal to the damage done. So the phyrexian juggernaut puts 5 -1/-1 counters on the blocking creature (for a total of -5/-5, but it's important because -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters cancel out).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You definitely want green even if it only had invigorate.
E: Wait, that's for legacy, my bad.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Serperoth posted:

MaRo's true face shines through sometimes:

What am I meant to be seeing here?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Serperoth posted:

"They tried to make an exciting card and I tried to stop them"

"They made a single mistake that resulted in a loving miserable environment and I tried to stop them".
Like am I meant to fault him for having too much agency or not enough? Like half of the recent stories have been him not getting his way, but people also have issues with the new cards so ???
Why would you think siege rhino was a maro card? Iirc the story with that was that it didn't have trample but it was changed because the future league was testing with cmc 2 first response. My understanding is that future league is development, not design, so even assuming he designed it he didn't make the eventual card text and he's never the person that sets the cmc.
Come on, there's plenty of things to criticise him about, but this was just nonsensical.

is that good fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 31, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

The implication about Siege Rhino being okay without trample is pretty good, i like that.

Siege rhino would be fine with a higher cmc, which, I repeat, is a development decision, not a design decision.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Elyv posted:

you want a full cycle reprinted where one of the cards is broken, 2 of them are bad, 1 is probably in the 50 worst cards ever printed, and only one is in a place where it's interesting and good but not broken? Okay man

It's such a weird cycle as well I don't get why a card draw/lich's tomb is in the and the constellation card doesn't seem to fit the mechanics at all.
E: Nah actually that looks fine the reason it's a seven card cycle is so they can reprint it without the reserved list card or the silly one and still have one for every colour it's like they planned ahead for this set

is that good fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Reprint Envelop 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Apparently we're getting Devoid Dissipate? Pretty okay, probably, though I don't think there's any colourless matters payoff for control (not that there's much blue matters payoff for control at the moment).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I can't wait for stuff to get reprinted and have random people complaining that wizards ruined their spec it's going to be very entertaining.
E: Can I get a job being the person at wizards that decides what gets reprinted just to gently caress with people? That'd be great. First order of business is a starter deck with like three copies of Seance.

is that good fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 10, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

So if I have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play I can still tap a Wastes for colorless mana?

Yeah, the article says the land just has oracle text that isn't written on the card. This also means that other basics that somehow lose their subtype can't tap for C.
E: There was some discussion that tapping for C could become inherent to basic lands with no subtype, so it's not a silly a question like it might sound.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

wotc should hire me to design my Relentless Rats set
100 different arts of Relentless Rats and a single full art mountain

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

This isn't really true. There was like, what, Rest in Peace?

Ground Seal and Grafdigger's Cage count I think?
E: Ground Seal was actually M13 my bad.

is that good fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 23, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

How does it win T2?

I can't fathom how you do that, Hedron Crab?

A couple of Archive Traps off their fetch, probably.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
If the new manlands are getting played, then basically never. In order of recency, my search turns up:
BFZ/OGW Manlands
BFZ Duals
Enemy Painlands
Temples
Shocks
Checks
Fastlands
WWK Manlands
LRW Tribal Duals
Allied Painlands
Tempest Tapped Painlands
Ice Age Depletion Counter Lands

I'm pretty sure they're all pretty playable up to like the Tempest and Ice Age duels. (Did the LRW tribal ones get played? It might just not count as a cycle with Murmuring Bosk not really fitting nicely.)

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Skulk looks like it could be their solution to the u/b overlap keyword?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Most of the time when stuff leaks they don't acknowledge it, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I guess the last one was because it was a long-term thing?
Also Maro is explicitly for colour pie bends when they help a set. Keeping the colour pie steady when it's not helpful is what makes that possible without the game getting boring. Re green having no interaction: he's said they're adding one-sided fight seeing as the test card went well. Like every time the thread talks about Maro it really seems like everybody is talking about a different person. Truly, no two see the same Maro.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

We're talking about the Maro who doesn't understand EDH but feels the need to comment on it. And the one who talks about ham sandwiches and his toaster.

People ask him about it so he talks about it at the moment he's talking about lightbulb jokes and foreign language cards. Like there are other wizards people running askboxes but they barely respond just let the giant tan goblin man live

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not really? It doesn't work against Jace enabled madness, but if they cast a spell like Tormenting Voice or Lightning Axe can't you process the madness card and counter the spell?

It still counts as them discarding the card, regardless of what happens after the card is discarded into exile.
E: Wait no I just got it I'm stupid.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Don't make us look at 4chan for fucks sake, post it.

http://imgur.com/YrK8wgE
No green mythics and cursed scroll they didn't even try

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Priest of Titania at rare when it was reprinted in the C14 precons is strange. Noting about it needs to be rare, at that.

It's showing up as common on magiccards.info for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You can not care about eternal masters but also still care about the fact that other people care about it while you don't, and want to learn about the differences that caused the situation. That being said, probably plenty of people don't care about eternal masters so

• Locked thread