Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking as a bad player who plays with borrowed cards, "nope stop playing" cards feel extra bad because it's so easy to make decks that don't do anything to begin with. But having played some other games with similar mechanics, I feel like the better approach is to include answers to them (and teaching newbies to counterplay) instead of closing that design space altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He seems to think that for every matchup to be even, decks would have to play the same, which is terrible lazy thinking and also the opposite of diversity.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you read his past articles you'll find that he quit Magic for HS. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 16, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think the core reason HS and others have limited stuff like counters and spell interactions is to make the game run wihout having to consult the opponent. I reinstalled Magic Duels for a bit yesterday and sweet Jesus having to wait two seconds after every single click is awful.

Lol if Wizards are actually cutting back on the good part of the game to make a paper product more online-friendly.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't even know what the current iteration of the precon is now, but I'm sure it's nonsensical.

Such a great game. Such a bad company behind it.
It's a 60 card pregen with two boosters bundled in so you can hopefully make it a bit less poo poo. No box, far as I can tell. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/aether-revolt-planeswalker-deck-lists-2017-01-11

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No matter the game, turns out starter decks are always terrible. :v:

It's a bit of a pain because I'd actually like to try getting into Actual Cardboard Magic sometime, despite everything. But it seriously looks like the only newbie-friendly thing out there is... What, sealed? Good luck trying to rope me into constructed when the products are either boosters or boxes of crap. I mean, after the starter I'm apparently expected to buy the Deck Builder's Toolkit, but that's just a box of singletons. The gently caress would I buy that for? Is Peasant Highlander some kind of thing?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 18, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wizards just plain can't admit that you should ever buy singles, because that'd mean admitting that buying their core product is stupid.

Edit: Okay, so sometimes they kinda skirt the issue, like whenever they publish budget decklists.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Getting a bit of a Stargåte vibe from the artwork. Looks neat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

2/1 flying common, it's actually just the local crocodile species.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If that's really a Nicol Bolas themed Archenemy deck, I'm pretty stoked. Archenemy Anthology should be up next anyway.
Four decks, due out in June: https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/archenemy-nicol-bolas

What's archenemy like, anyway?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A land but it's double-sided and can be transformed into another land.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Tap: Exile This Land, then put a Plains land token on the battlefield tapped." And then repeat for the other colour.

I'm pretty sure this immediately breaks to create endless lands or whatever, but I'm sure design can unfuck it. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh, something I missed in the preview, fat packs now have 10 boosters! Don't know if the price changes.
They've had 10 since Kaladesh.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

That screams to me that a discussion happened in a room somewhere that went like this
"How can we get people to crack more packs?" "Well market research has shown players like full art lands"
":monocle:"
They added a fourth card to Standard Showdown prize packs. You'll never guess what it is.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the one hand:

On the other, "lounging around while servants serve fruit and fan you" is pretty Egyptian in theme, and it's not like they'd draw Beefcake in there. And just imagine Jace tanning. I like the illustration, actually.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I also look forward to the "how are her legs positioned" analyses but it won't be as fun as the Olivia Voldaren art.
In case you don't read the daily magic update:

:ms:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GeneX posted:

I want saffronolive's whale marvel engine deck to win a gp
:same:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Has this artist been working for them for a while? I like this, and I don't recall having seen anything else in quite this style recently.
Looking at his cards, all he's done are recent sets.

E:F;b

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm thinking of getting into the game with Amonkhet too, what up rookie buddy. My plan's to go to the prerelease and see if I can build anything from the card pool I end up with. Starter decks are pretty bad in general, but I might buy two just to see if I can make one casual deck from them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Now that I look at the contents, there's under $10 worth of cards in a deck, not counting the single bad planeswalker: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/kaladesh-planeswalker-decks

So a bad idea I guess, might as well buy the deck I'd build in singles. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 28, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, are you saying if I wanted to go buy a copy of Aladdin or something I would not be able to do it?
Yes, although Aladdin is actually available right now (get it while they're still printing :v:). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sorta suspecting someone in the marketing department looked at MM17, said "wait they're reprinting all of this?!" and immediately booked a bunch of Standard events to stop people from jumping ship.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm curious, assuming everything else is worth nothing at all, how's the EV of a pack right now?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Does that mean I should... Buy packs?!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well that was exciting. When's Amonkhet stuff start?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The designers started out with a theme (Nicol Bolas's horns, looks like :v:) instead of neat mechanics. They did the same thing with Innistrad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Which deck is cat lady stopping that can beat GB and Vehicles? There is no reason you can't play a deck with 1 bad match up if you can crush the other T1 decks.
I'm not too good with meta theory like this, but assuming the Cat bites it, wouldn't you only need to beat only one of Snake or Cars to be viable?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unban everything, reprint Hero's Downfall and Wrath of God in Amonkhet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aw, Emmy's still banned.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/841299656197976064

Apparently the reasoning is, in the bad old days you could throw a Copter into any old deck and get something going.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hellsau posted:

So if we're in a three deck format (really two) and they think it's fine and standard doesn't need any bannings, why did they ban anything in the first place?
Remember when they tried to shorten the Standard rotation and then immediately went back on it when people went "but my cards"?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

black potus posted:

*Backpedals furiously*
WotC policy in a nutshell.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Considering Maro's already working on the 2019 block, I'm not too sure he even remembers the plan.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Entropic posted:

It seems like for the last little while the only expensive standard cards have been Mythics. I think the only Standard rare over $10 right now is Walking Ballista. Is that normally, or is there more reliance on mythics in standard decks right now than usual?
Seth wrote about "mythic creep" a year ago: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-changing-definition-of-mythic-rare

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't get the funny. Is it that Hasbro thinks Duels is not a Magic product?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...I can't apparently read too good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Turns out millennials prefer user interfaces and stable software.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's actually having to wait for other people to okay your every play.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

This except unironically.
I was already unironic :v:. Instant speed stuff is the neatest thing about Magic. It's just, it doesn't translate online very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's for the better, deadbeat dads usually forsake their kids to gently caress or get high, not playing a children's card game
Some dads teach their kids to play Magic tho.

• Locked thread