Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:siren::siren::frogsiren:

:siren::siren::frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
More:

Efb

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well it's clearly a leak and not a spoiler. The art is definitely 100% from the set I bet. The wastes structures showing up on the other card clinches it for me.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why does Mirrorpool "T:♦" specifically if ♦ is just "pay me with colorless!"

Because they need to differentiate generic mana costs from colourless only mana costs.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What's so dumb about it? Anything new will look alien at first. People thought processing and using the exile zone was gonna be bad and it's fine. There's a reason people have kept asking for something like this for years and years: Because it's different and cool.

This even presents an interesting twist for limited as you now have six 'streams' of colour to draft. It's not a new colour, but it behaves exactly like another colour in terms of drafting and splashing during deck construction.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OFS please restate all your reasons why you think they're fake. You keep repeating the conclusion, but I don't see any convincing arguments.

Not wanting to introduce something in a small set? That's meaningless. What does the number of cards in a set have to do with anything? They're jettisoning the 3 block paradigm they can jettison any conventions about when is the 'right' time to do anything.

No reminder text? If it's something intrinsic to the game from now on I can easily see them dispensing with reminder text, especially on a full art card and two mythic rares.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's just the december slump. It happens every year. Prices and attendance drop and I blame it on the fact they have to do the fall release way back in september and have it last through January whereas they lump 4 sets in between feb and june most years.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oath of the gay twats amirite folks???

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

This will go great in my martyr of sands modern deck.

No really, it will!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PleasantDirge posted:

Yeah but its step 1 or 2 on the best draws soul sisters has.

What else does sisters get when we add black? Shambling vent and Sorin, solemn visitor seem to fit in nice and you get fun toys like dismember at least at a possibility of less than full price. I don't think this lady's sac ability is relevant here but o-ring on a stick w/ death touch seems better than the 2 drop anthem effect that you don't want anymore anyways if you are adding B to soul sisters.

My buddy has been on a b/w lifegain deck forever. It plays martyr over the soul sisters themselves, which suck. Adding black gets you zealous persecution and orzhov charm, plus vault and some sideboard plays like tidehollow sculler.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

alansmithee posted:

Is that true though? I admit I'm shaky on the rules though but I like learning about these goofy interactions. The casting of the madness card (from how I read the ruling you quoted) isn't based on the card being in exile, it's based on the player having exiled it. And for you to have processed it, it had to have been exiled. Or would it fail to cast due to the trigger losing track of the card since it switched zones?

I think it would fail for that reason yes, even though the trigger doesn't target it likely loses track. Processing hoses a lot of mechanics now that I think about it: suspend cast triggers, hideaway cast triggers, imprint...

e: Yeah I'm convinced the you may cast trigger will just do nothing. That is how the miracle cast trigger works if the card has left your hand.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 2, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They're hamming it up, obviously

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Wescoe's gone hippie if you haven't seen him recently. So no I doubt his hygiene is better than normal.

Don't you make fun of Bruce Jenner like that! He is such a brave person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

This, except unironically.

Same

I can't believe how much trouble this is giving people. Even like Chapin on his podcast.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

I think it's really stupid because it's a backdoor 6th color for bullshit reasons and fucks with templating with zero actual designspace gain that isn't a parasitic 6th color, and furthermore their marquee 6th color card is something that historically has not been a 6th color thing and that was the whole point of them.

They're really loving up the "eldrazi are colorless in a land of colors!" theme with BFZ and now with new Kozilek.

Wrong on all counts, congrats!

It's in fact an elegant and clever way to solve multiple problems, remove a longstanding ambiguity, and deepen limited with no downside aside from, "we didn't used to have it," which is a meaningless argument applicable to literally anything new.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Algid posted:

How? Just resolve whatever non-targeting portion it has or rewind the cast?

Lol.

The first, which is to say, everything you can that makes sense. Just follow the same procedure you do today with multitarget spells where one target has gone away. The fact that multitarget and single target spells behave differently is a leftover and hardly necessary. Unfortunately because of modo I don't see this one ever changing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think you and Lottery are overstating the 'disruption'. Cards that used to say add 1 will now say add <>, or 2 and <><> etc. Old cards won't, but old cards already do things like say "play a spell" rather than cast, don't include errata-ed creature subtypes, and have a different look. It won't be a big deal and will become less of a deal as the old way falls further and further into the past.

We already have cards that spell out "spend only foo mana on x", nine of them in fact. We now have an in grained way to say spend only colourless. Now that we have it, they can use it as much or as little as they want. It multiplies the number of streams you can draft in a way that doesn't add on a sixth colour and all the issues that would entail. It gives them another dial for tweaking the power level of nonbasic lands. It does a whole lot.

Also under the no fizzle rule power levels of certain cards change around a lot. Path gets quite a bit worse!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I can't see how ♦ could be good for limited. The only way a ♦/x archetype works in draft is if it has massive support in Oath - and consequently, fewer colored cards - because BFZ has only six cards that produce colorless mana and only 23 cards that do not require colorless mana to cast. Your choices in limited end up being to either go ♦/x in the first two packs knowing that the third pack is going to have almost nothing for half your deck or being forced to ignore a hefty amount of cards in the first two packs in order to have a better chance at getting playable cards in pack three. The alternative would be that there isn't a huge amount of support for ♦ in Oath and the (presumably) marquee mechanic is only usable as a splash, which just sounds like a stupid idea.

Either you or I are really confused here. BFZ has exactly zero cards that require colourless. Also the number of cards that require colourless in their costs is no issue since wastes is a basic and you can add as many as you want during deckbuilding.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well that's stupid, so no wonder you think the format is stupid too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hueyjensen/status/676483048037216256

:lol:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

What they are doing it for isn't the point. They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

This is like acting or game development or sports. There's lots of people who will do the job for less. I'd be surprised if these guys make more than a couple hundred bucks per gig, excluding expenses. Same with the non-unionized members on the wotc production staff too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Leaks are fun, but there's something lost when you just get a big dump of the whole thing ore close to it like with this or NPH.

People were down on NPH despite it having a large number of in hindsight truly ridiculous cards, all because it's hard to absorb the entire context and totality of a set at once.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

What's the "like with this" here? OGW hasn't been spoiled to nearly that extent, or has it?

Eh sorta. All the expeditions plus all but one of the mythics. It's enough to turn the rest of the set in to a wet fart for me at least.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just call it pile sorting from now on and hopefully people will begin to figure it out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't play white because I'm an antisamite :v:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Casaval posted:

Does anyone know if any seattle area stores are doing 2HG prerelease?

I am aware that it is unpopular but i figure might as well, I'm just in it for the sweet sweet wizard scratch tickets. C'mon wasteland!

Most wpn stores that are advanced level get to run five flights. Usually one midnight one and two each weekend day of which the Sunday one is often 2hg. I would ask on magic the settling Facebook group as most of the store organizers hang out there.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Were they exposed to the cards as part of a solicitation for feedback from judges on upcoming floor rules changes necessitated by something new in the set? That's the only reason I could see having to consult judges and share confidential stuff before the set is out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All this hush hush secrecy and rumour mongering is so precious. Why doesn't one of the banned people just come out and say exactly what happened one way or the other?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Almost all the judge groups are closed group.

Maybe someone could, y'know, leak it???

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What happened was that wotc got the dregs of the seattle development community that were layed off ms and wherever during the first dotcom crash. Then, anyone with vision went along with gleemax and got pushed out when it failed. So now you have the ultraconservative half of a bunch of people who were not any good at software to begin with who have been there long enough to be in charge. Thus an insular and slow moving hierarchy with predictable results.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

Did someone just buy out every Teeg in the world? Its trading for 50 bucks.

holy poo poo lmao it's true

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think rally is ever beating Kalitas who on that face of things is maindeckable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys should lobby your lgs or playgroup to do the occasional unsanctioned all proxy legacy or modern events. You can see whether you actually like how a deck plays before dropping bucks on it, or just try a different one every week. Also the try hards stay away.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lomarf at these buyouts drat.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So, this is the Lightning Strike we deserve :\

Hey it's Burn! Get it, from Turn // Burn????

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXlmYzOCro

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey anyone checked Inquistion on tcgplayer lately? :suicide:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is "nobody plays Standard anymore" just a thread consensus or is there data

Wotc has all the DCI sanctioning numbers to extrapolate from but there's no way they'd say anything about it except vague generalities at the hasbro quarterly investor meeting.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Horse posted:

Iquisition-owners chat: should we shift this poo poo now, or will it keep going up!?

I'm going to sell everything except a couple of tried and true decks over the next six months, starting at gp vancouver.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I have absolutely no basis for this, but I really dislike Gerry Thompson and I want to punch him.

Like I've never met him, never interacted with him, no reason whatsoever but every time I see him I think "man, I'd really like to punch that dude"

Same but for Todd Anderson. Gerryt is a good guy who just wants to smoke a doob and will run interference for you in the late rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did Hoglund have triple red for Kiki at the end there? Didn't look like it...

• Locked thread