Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

We were going to make our money back burning/selling music CDs .

i did this in school when napster was a new thing lol
plus burning cds with a gameboy emulator and pokemon games on. i'm sorry for being a filthy pirate :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

it's me i'm the SuNMaN ama

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

this game owned

all the graphics were just standard windows .ico files so you could venture forth as a giant veiny dick with a sword if you were so inclined

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Can I have it please?

Also if anyone will sell me ultima I with the coins or II with the map for prices that aren't $500 like on eBay that would be cool

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Universe Master posted:

just make a new tie fighter with the battlefront engine

Everyone will buy it.

Also freespace 3
With vr support
Which nobody will buy but it will rule so hard

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Q3A on dreamcast with a mouse and keyboard meant that you won like most of the time
it was awesome

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I got my first mp3 player in I think 1999? It had a whopping 32mb of memory, which was enough for one cd at very, very low bitrate. It cost £150. I upgraded to an extra 64mb of memory for another £75.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

:eyepop: And they say they'll store your data for 300 years. If they don't even last 30, do you think that Kodak will still be around to give you a refund? They have survived longer than most people would have expected though.

The discs, or Kodak? Because Kodak's whole "nah, digital photography is just a fad" thing didn't go so well.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Squish posted:

Actually, there is a modern incarnation of this kind of thing called Construct 2. It used to be free & open source, and from what I can tell it appears to be free for personal use (but you have to pay if you make money from your creations).
I've used it to re-create an old Apple 2 game remake that I'd tried remaking in klik-n-play, and later gamemaker (both pretty much failed attempts). Check it out if you're interested.

There was The Game Factory, which was the actual successor to Klik n' Play (from the same developer) that allowed you to do some pretty cool stuff like having large, scrollable/open-world maps (Klik n' Play only allowed single screen) and .ini files that if you were smart you could use as a rudimentary database, allowing you to keep high scores and saved-game states.

When I was about 13 I spent weeks with a friend making a top-down maze-shooter type game, with AI bots, in a 'huge' maze (in reality it was probably only about 2500px square, but that was quite a lot when you're on a 386DX with a 640*480 monitor). It was the bots that took the longest, as we wanted them to be fairly smart but not unbeatable. Around the labyrinth were different, more powerful weapons, the locations of which the bots 'learned' at different rates depending on the difficulty level you'd chosen. We also did something that we thought was pretty smart, given the restrictions of the system, that implemented line of sight, so you couldn't see a bot if it was on the other side of the wall but you could hear gunfire if it was less than one wall away.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

laserghost posted:

TGF really looked like a serious tool compared to KNP. I had a ton of various games made with it downloaded, some of them were very impressive, like the Alien Breed clone with destroyable walls.
Before KNP there was another program - Click & Create, for making presentations, kiosk interfaces etc., but I've seen some simple games made with it.
Multimedia Fusion was major breakthrough in the amateur gamemaking. The very first game I saw made in MF was a very simpe, yet functional real-time strategy. I used to check religiously Home of the Underdogs, waiting for new titles from Fallen Angel Industries, Natomic, KonamiG and other game-making stars.

Holy poo poo, it's still around, too - and has support for iOS and Android exporting.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how someone could make a connector that doesn't fit any way you rotate it until you actually look at both the connector and the port to find out which way it goes. They did it.

I loving hate the optical cables on my setup for this. like, there's only one way they can possibly go in but until I rotate them 360 degrees at least once both clockwise and counterclockwise, there's no way they're going in.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I would assume most people spend a couple of hours a day hashing out philosophy and the nature of man with Dr. Sbaitso.

Making Dr sbaitso say "gently caress" was the best thing ever.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dr. Quarex posted:

But yes, it was a totally different world. Nobody knew what they were doing, and most everything was transmitted word of mouth...and honestly I feel the single most relevant fact that made Ultima Online different from everything that came later was the fact that you could only talk to the people currently on your screen. Sure, you could cheat and use an instant messaging program to talk to your friends or something, but I definitely preferred the isolation it provided (in the year or so before they caved and added global chat). Then again, I hate multiplayer gaming, so...

When I first played UO I had no idea what to do or how any of the skills worked. So I made a bard, and I'd just travel round looking for people to explore with. I couldn't fight anything beyond the weakest animals, so instead I'd offer to write an epic poem about their adventures in exchange for a portion of the loot. I'd write in in-game books, which I'd still find in player houses (and libraries that players made!) for years after. Bought my first house this way, before I even knew how to actually play.

I miss that game so much. They turned it into a completely generic, loot-based game and outside of a few role-playing groups it just became a boring mess.

And yeah, the isometric view meant chat appeared above heads, so you could only 'hear' stuff near you - and if you were in a busy place, it'd be too 'loud' because you wouldn't be able to see the text above your head thanks to the amount of other text appearing. This somehow felt way more immersive than any other MMOs ever got close to.

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Mar 11, 2016

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Police Automaton posted:

Regarding UO and other MMORPGs, I think it's an arms race between the devs and the neckbeards to keep the game "unsolved" so people will spend as much time as possible with it. I wouldn't even be surprised if some companies like Blizzard have Psychologists on their payroll for that very reason.

The nice thing with UO was that no matter how much you sperged about min-maxing to 'solve' the way the game worked, a bunch of newbies could still wreck you. Whenever the European server went down, we'd make a bunch of brand new characters on an American server, put on straw hats and get pitchforks, then run amok screaming "get off my land!". Our swarm would take out anyone dumb enough to stay and fight through sheer numbers. You can't replicate that in Everquest style games (like WoW) which is probably why I've never found them even remotely fun.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

thathonkey posted:

Ive never had a problem understanding what is going on watching at 24 fps

The only time I have was in the Bourne films because there are a ridiculous number of cuts that are really, really short and you're watching two guys dressed in black move around very fast at each other.

The smart apps on my TV aren't awful, though the ones on practically every other device I own are better, but the dumbest thing is that the Netflix app doesn't support audio out better than stereo, which is just plain stupid.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The_Franz posted:

AllAdvantage

This was like a prototype bitcoin many years earlier, in that it cost way more in electricity to keep your computer running and showing ads than you could possibly get paid, but lots of very stupid people (or people stealing electricity) did it anyway.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I wish old people adding images to word documents in order to send said image to another person was a relic.

pfft get with the times grandpa the cool old people all put images in powerpoint presentations where you can have a midi playing the whole time and 10 second long dissolve transitions between the funny pictures

like the one I got from my aunt that had pictures of madeline mcann, including closeups of her freaky eye, and sad music to tug on my heartstrings and make me want to donate money to her neglectful millionaire parents lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

EvilGenius posted:

I think the issue with this was that the college didn't have either application (it was a long time ago, my memory is hazy). Chainsaw spat out a .bat or an .exe file that stitched your files back together.

Back when 5 1/4" disks were still a thing I made my own little thing in DOS to zip stuff up with PKZip and split across multiple disks. The first disk would have a batch file on that could start the installation process and everything. I was a precocious nerd child.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Which of you poor saps still has an HD-DVD player

I do! I got it for just over a tenner with like a dozen movies. It's the one that plugs into the Xbox 360, and it's actually fairly handy to have as a second drive to have a DVD/CD in without having to get up and swap out whatever video game disc is in the main console.

I mean, it's obviously dead and stupid but since I paid less than the cost of a blu-ray for it I don't really care.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

error1 posted:

Not this one? :haw:

I'm still impressed that a device made it to market that was deliberately designed to look like goatse

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

nigga crab pollock posted:

they tried really hard to make the special effects workable. things obfuscate the dinosaurs and they're also like maybe a minute of screen time in the entire movie. i think the raptors were mostly practical effects also? the entire trex scene was probably designed with the limitations of the rendering in mind but they nailed that poo poo, especially if you look hard at other parts and see how they really didn't have much to work with

yikes

Eh, still looks better than most of Batman vs Superman

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Humphreys posted:

Oh, the two copies I have say 4:3 and 16:9 on alternate sides. Both copies however are opposite on which side. They don't say 'this side up' though.

I have the Exorcist on DVD and one side is the theatrical cut and the other is the loving horrible 'Version You've Never Seen'. I 'm an idiot and can never remember which side is meant to be up (IIRC you put the label of the one you want facing down). More than once I was tricked and not realised I was watching the poo poo version until later, but now I remember that there's a shot of the house at the beginning that only appears on the poo poo version, so I can swap over quickly.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Just write on the lovely side with a sharpie so you know which one not to watch.

But that means I have to put the disc in, confirm that it's the lovely side, take it out immediately and write on it else I'll forget to do it and also I already said I'm an idiot jfc

(That is a good idea though it's not like it's worth anything in terms of resale value so may as well)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

Uhhh no they can't.

They totally can. I bought monster cables and replaced the volume knob with a mahogany dial and I feel the warmth of the music that was recorded to sound good on a car stereo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

Mahogany? No teak? It's like you're not even trying to hear the notes between the notes. :rolleyes:

You stupid hobbyist, teak is for the shielding on your light switches to reduce EM interference. You'll never hear the subtle 300mhz melodies in Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers otherwise.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gonz posted:

Today I learned that there once existed an Xbox 360 HD port of Goldeneye 007 that was set to be released for purchase on the Xbox Live Arcade.

And now i'm bummed I never got to play it. Goldeneye Source is one thing, but this was the entire game, not just multiplayer aspects of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

If it helps it was a bad port and a good reminder that Goldeneye is a bad game outside of nostalgia.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

What, why would you be doing activations regularly, and actually having to speak to a person about it? I assume because you're actually changing the hardware a lot or in fact using the key multiple times? The only time I ever spoke to a person was when I actually wanted to to find out if the suspicious license key I bought was a volume licensing one.

Working as a computer janitor and having to reimage machines because stupid people keep somehow getting viruses.

Also the time Macafee anti virus decided that a bunch of Windows XP system files were actually a virus and broke about 25 of the machines in the company I was working for at the time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Captain Yossarian posted:

For the record I would kill a man for GameCube component cables. So loving expensive it's nuts

Dude just buy a Wii. You can get them for like £10 in the UK and the component cables are on amazon for under £5.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but then you still need to keep the Gamecube for Gameboy games. And then the Wii is completely redundant because you want to be playing Wii games via HDMI on a Wiiu.

Oh I forgot about the GBA on GC thing.

Also did all the weird hardware tricks on Eternal Darkness work on the Wii?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Any recommendation on keeping my home safe from burning down from electrical wiring? My house was made in the 1950s so now I am a bit worried. Do people actually bash all their walls down and check the wiring before something happens?

uh hire an electrician to inspect the wiring maybe?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

uh I am trying to learn what to look for in my own home and before anything happens in the future maybe?

okay i'll revise my answer: hire an electrician to inspect the wiring and tell you what needs fixing/improving before anything happens in the future

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dr. Quarex posted:

Plus, this:

For anybody that's never played Ultima VII: the game's developers, Origin Systems, were in the process of being swallowed by EA while they were making the game. They were not happy about this. The plot involves you chasing two seemingly-benevolent-but-actually-evil people named Elizabeth and Abraham (E and A, get it?) And you have to destroy a giant cube, sphere and tetrahedron in order to stop a giant multidimensional villain named The Guardian - who claims to have the best interests of the world at heart - from conquering your world.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

brugroffil posted:

Holy moly, I love that game and never knew that.

The copy protection on that game involved finding the city at a given set of coordinates on the cloth map that came with it. I always had to have my brother figure it out because I'd mess it up.

More fun facts about Ultima, Origin and EA:

E&A murder a gargoyle at the start of the game whose name translates to 'Create Love'.

The Guardian is nicknamed 'The Destroyer of Worlds' and Origin's slogan at the time was 'We Create Worlds'.

At the start of the game he tells you that he will be "your companion, your provider and your master!", i.e.: he's a video game publisher that works with them, finances them and ultimately dictates what they do.

(Richard Garriott claims that that EA were in on the jokes in Ultima VII and were happy for them to do it, though, so that makes it a bit less funny).

In Ultima V, Typing 'Electronic Arts' makes NPCs tell you off for swearing.

Ultima VI has a pirate named 'Hawkins' (after then-president of EA Trip Hawkins) and he has a crew named after other EA higher-ups.

Ultima VIII has a weird object that morphs between a cube, sphere and tetrahedron that doesn't do anything, but if you double click on it the Avatar will kneel before it say "I have not the strength, nor the wisdom to master such power... But one day I shall!"

Ultima IX has nothing funny, good or redeeming about it at all. Apart from maybe the soundtrack which is pretty good.

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Dec 8, 2016

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

You can't unsee the goatse in the nGage once you know it's there.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Instant Sunrise posted:

Was it ever confirmed outside of these forums that the design was legitimately based on goatse?

I mean yeah the resemblance is obvious, but I've never found a second source for the story that all the engineers at Nokia hated the N-Gage and they deliberately made the first design based on goatse as a joke and it got approved and put into production.

I don't know if that story is true (a quick Google has people talking about it on other forums besides SA as far back as 2003!), but I'd kinda be surprised if it isn't considering exactly how strong the resemblance is. Like, it's too similar, aside from having too many fingers on one side.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

As soon as swipe-to-type became a thing I realised how truly awful those tiny horrible mobile phone keyboards were.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

empty baggie posted:

To be fair, Radium was a piece of poo poo and I kinda feel sorry for the webTV person. I've got a feeling that webTV wasn't that persons only access; like maybe he or she was at their grandparents house or something at the time and didn't have any other way to browse the forums (pretty sure that story was before smartphones were a major thing), although nobody that I recall has come forward to admit it was them, so I assume whoever it was didn't rereg out of humiliation if anything.

I remember that happening and counted myself lucky that I didn't get banned, since I had been dicking around on a Dreamcast the day before and logged into SA with it.

Also i just googled the Dreamcast broadband adapter and really wish I hadn't sold mine for about a fiver a decade ago.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Code Jockey posted:

Jesus christ I remember trying to do early web design / layouts using tables embedded in tables and god knows what other hacky nonsense

Everyone knows you're supposed to use frames so you can have a menu that stays static and a scrollable page, duh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Haha, a buddy of mine has that blue minidisc player.

The clip that keeps it closed broke about 12 years ago, so he ties a piece of string around it that keeps it shut. And it still works!