Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

:britain: BRITISH POLITICAL CARTOON THREAD 2016 :britain: (and beyond?) :yayclod:

Previous thread

Steve Bell
Website
@BellBelltoons
Born in Walthamstow, London in 1951. Started at the Guardian in 1981 with his daily strip, If..., which is currently stuck in a not-all-that-great Star Wars riff for the past three months.

Martin Rowson
@MartinRowson
Born in 1959. Not sure when he started at the Grauniad. Also illustrates Kevin McGuire's column in the Mirror, and sometimes draws for the Morning Star.

Chris Riddell
Website
@ChrisRiddell50
Born in South Africa in 1962. Started at the Guardian's Sunday stablemate the Observer in 1995. Currently the UK Children's Laureate. Has recently collaborated with Neil Gaiman on a number of books.

-

Christian Adams
@AdamsToon1
Born in Surrey in 1966. Started at the Telegraph in 2005. Not on Wikipedia.

Bob Moran
Website
@BobsCartoons
Started at the Telegraph in 2011. "Still in his twenties", according to his website, dated last year.

-

Dave Brown
@DaveBrownToons
Born in Kent in 1957. Started at the Sunday Times in 1989, joining the Independent in 1996.

Brian Adcock
Website
@BrianCartoon
Born in Yarmouth in 1967. Started drawing cartoons for the Prague Post in 2000.

Ben Jennings
Website
@BJennings90
Born in Hemel Hempstead. Won the Independent's smaller sibling the i's Cartoon Idol in 2011. Also subs in for the Guardian sometimes.

Peter Schrank
Website
Born in Swizerland in 1952. Started at the Independent in 1995. Also draws for the Economist.

-

Peter Brookes
@BrookesTimes
Born in Liverpool in 1943. Started at the Times in 1992. Supports Queens Park Rangers football club.

Morten Morland
Website
@MortenMorland
Born in Norway in 1979. Worked for the Times since 2002. Also draws for the Spectator.

-

Stanley McMurtry, Mac
Born in Edinburgh in 1936. Started at the Mail in 1971. Awarded an MBE in 2003. Sometimes hides a profile of his wife somewhere in the cartoon.

-

Misc.

Stephen Collins
Website
@Stephen_Collins
Not the actor. Appears in the Guardian's Saturday magazine. Only occasionally political, he gets posted because I like his work.

David Squires
Website
@Squires_David
Lives in Australia. Started at the Guardian's Sport section in 2014. Also produces a cartoon for the Australian version of the Guardian website, focusing on the A-League.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:yayclod: Excellent edits :yayclod:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Before he can get to the Queen, first he must face...

Pesky Splinter posted:

And that's a wonderfully horrifying transformation into Blair;

Paul Thomas Memorial Corner

Former Express cartoonist, let go in January 2015. Recently did a book about tattoos. On the Twitters.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

forkboy84 posted:

Cloud Potato, you've ruined 2016 for me. Thanks. :cry:

:yayclod:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Cameron's 2016 – Prime minister faces tricky issues over his European Union renegotiations"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Bonus:

After Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

Times:

Bonus from Ben Jennings's Twitter:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Cloud Potato I am sad you forgot

in your otherwise great op.

Ach, you're quite right. Title image made and added to OP.

I'm not sure where Paul Thomas is putting out cartoons, though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So I saw at the end of last thread you said were missing Australian cartoons. Now I'm sure you'd like some more Pope, but for now how about a nice Bill Leak.

gently caress off Leak.

Thank you. It's pretty racist, but they've got to work on their backgrounds if they want to be Mac-level racist.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Tories’ troubles in the new year – David Cameron’s Conservatives enter 2016 beset by rows over flooding, City bankers and Oliver Letwin’s racist comments"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Drinking limits guidance set to be changed after review

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"2016: what lies in store? - Chris Riddell makes some new year predictions"

Sunday Telegraph:

New TV show starts tonight.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr - Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei today called for the west to condemn the execution of a Shia cleric in Saudi Arabia"

Telegraph:

Nigel Farage Says Police Suspect Foul Play Behind Ukip Leader's Car Accident In France

Independent:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Foreign Office's response to Saudi Arabian executions – Britain has been challenged to withdraw its support for Saudi Arabia as chair of the UN human rights council panel after the Foreign Office initially described the announcement of the execution of 47 people as disappointing"

Telegraph:

David Cameron: We'll directly commission 13,000 new homes

Independent:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron and the EU referendum – Government ministers will be free to campaign on either side of the debate for the referendum on Britain’s EU membership, David Cameron has confirmed"

Telegraph:

Times:

Jeremy Corbyn keeps Hilary Benn as shadow foreign secretary in reshuffle

Mail:
Mac on... War and peace

Mac on... Migrants walking into UK through Eurotunnel

Guardian Sport:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
If you're serious about combining your trip with political cartoonery, there's The Political Cartoon Gallery & Cafe, although I've not been there myself so can't speak to its splendor.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on shadow ministers resigning in reshuffle protest – Kevan Jones, Jonathan Reynolds and Stephen Doughty have resigned in protest at Jeremy Corbyn’s reshuffle"

Telegraph:

Times:

North Korea nuclear: State claims first hydrogen bomb test

Mail:
Mac on... Indian schoolboy's record-breaking cricket score

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's economic warning – George Osborne has warned of the risks to the UK from the shaky global economy, saying 2016 has opened with a “dangerous cocktail of new threats”"

Independent:

Times:

Prince George photographed at first day of nursery

Mail:
Mac on... The dangers of alcohol

'Yes, dear: I think your peppermints are working. I haven't even thought of a drink for two day.'

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Strange how often people ask/complain why Cameron is a pink condom blob but no one minds Osborne is in a gimp mask, chains, swim fins, and pig tail.

Gimp mask and chains: he loves the pain of inflicting austerity. Pig tail: probably because of all the economic predictions that never come true, i.e. lies. Swim fins are new in this 'toon, I think; it's been wet recently.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on drinking guidelines and Osborne’s ‘cocktail of threats’ – New alcohol guidelines have been defended, with officials insisting the advice is not scaremongering but ‘hard science’"

Telegraph:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron exposed: the Tory right tightens its grip - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s European referendum dilemma"

Sunday Telegraph:

Ken Livingstone at war with Michael Dugher over who runs Labour

Independent on Sunday:

the i paper

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huh. I was wrong about the flippers. Apologies.

Guardian

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron's EU deal – The prime minister has moved to sever any link between the EU referendum and his own political future by stating he will remain prime minister even if he loses the vote on British membership"

Telegraph:

David Cameron: parents should be taught how to control children

Independent:

David Cameron vows to ‘blitz’ poverty by demolishing UK's worst sink estates

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Labour members having a say on Trident – Jeremy Corbyn clears way for party members to be given a decisive role in whether to change Labour’s policy"

Telegraph:

Obituary: David Bowie :smithcloud:

Independent:

EU referendum: Cameron urges ministers to be courteous

Times:

'Repent' call to Church over gay Christian treatment

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Jeremy Hunt's planned changes to the NHS – Jeremy Hunt has intensified pressure on the British Medical Association to abandon further planned strikes in England by insisting that his proposed changes to junior doctors’ contracts are designed to prevent unnecessary deaths at weekends"

Telegraph:

Bronze Age houses uncovered in Cambridgeshire are Britain's 'Pompeii'

Independent:

Obama expected to frame election issues in optimistic State of the Union address

Times:

Mail:
Mac on.... The death of David Bowie (Also: Tim Peake to make first spacewalk to repair power unit for solar panels)

Guardian Sport:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's vow to 'blitz' poverty – Nearly a hundred of the UK’s worst “sink estates” could be bulldozed to make way for better homes as part of a “blitz” on poverty unveiled by David Cameron" After David Bowie.

Telegraph:

MPs back calls for English national anthem

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... the doctors' strike

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on immigration and asylum policy – The Kangaroo in ‘heartbreaking’ viral photographs with an injured female might have been responsible for her death while attempting to mate with her"

Telegraph:

Tim Peake set for historic spacewalk

Independent:

To the tune of "Jerusalem".

Times:

IAAF: Lord Coe backed despite damning report of athletics body

Mail:
Mac on...the Lottery (Also Dogs can read human emotions)

Mac on... Bosses spying on their employee's private communications

'Good evening. I'm your husband's boss. Poor you. I happen to know he's spending the night with Gloria from sales and marketing.'

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Lord Janner abuse charges – Alleged victims of sexual abuse by Greville Janner have hit out at the decision to drop court proceedings against the late peer, saying it amounted to “an establishment cover-up from day one”"

Telegraph:

Labour's general election defeat verdict revealed

Independent:

EU disastrous for UK, says cabinet minister Chris Grayling

The i paper:

Stephen Collins's latest won't load for me for some reason, so have a link instead.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Trident: an illustrated guide to renewing Britain's nuclear deterrent - Chris Riddell on the defence spending debate"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on nuclear weapons – Following the implementing of a historic nuclear agreement between western leaders and Iran, Jeremy Corbyn outlines his proposals for Britain’s future with Trident"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Flag of Iran

Times:

Hatton Garden heist: The target, the plan, the job, the gear and the investigation behind the biggest burglary in English legal history

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's 'learn English' visa proposals – David Cameron has been accused of stigmatising Muslim women after he announced plans to help them learn English and warned that migrant spouses who fail language tests may have to leave the UK"

Telegraph:

Donald Trump debate: Ban risks making tycoon a 'martyr'

Independent:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the delay in raising interest rates – The pound nosedived after the Bank of England ruled out an early rise in interest rates, due to weak growth and turmoil in the global markets"

Telegraph:

Election polling errors blamed on 'unrepresentative' samples

Times:

Oscars 2016: David Oyelowo and Don Cheadle join diversity critics

Mail:
MAC ON...Jeremy Corbyn and Trident

Mac on... proposals to ban the veil

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the FTSE 100 entering bear market – Fears of another financial crash mounted after the FTSE 100 was gripped by panic selling and entered bear market" After Magritte.

Bonus! Prospect magazine:

Davos: Chief executives ‘more pessimistic’ about growth
Also! In London on Feb 10th? Got a spare £11.49? See Martin Rowson do a talk on politoons!

Telegraph:

After Addams.

Independent:

Tata Steel confirms 1,050 job cuts

Times:

Perceptions of Ed Miliband 'among reasons' for Labour loss

Mail:
Mac on...throwing sticks can harm your dog

And since it's decided to load for me today for some reason, Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the progress of David Cameron's EU negotiations – The prime minister’s hopes of a referendum in the summer rest on a successful summit in February"

Telegraph:

Litvinenko report: David Cameron condemns Russia over ex-spy

Independent:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and the refugee crisis – Britain should take more refugees, says Europe’s top human rights official, as deadliest January for migrants crossing the Aegean sees 45 more deaths"

Telegraph:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... the leaked Savile report

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Litvinenko murder: the Russian bear speaks - Chris Riddell on Sir Robert Owen’s finding that the ex-KGB agent was killed in London by the Russian government"

Sunday Telegraph:

Jeremy Corbyn speaks of 'dreadful' migrant camp conditions

Independent:

After Sir Henry Raeburn.

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on George Osborne and the Google tax deal – The UK risks undermining a clampdown on tax avoidance if it signs more deals like the agreement with Google to recover £130m in back taxes, a tax expert has warned"

Telegraph:

US blizzard 2016: Clear-up after mammoth snowfall

Independent:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cecil Parkinson died. Do you think our cartoonists will give a poo poo?

I'm not sure, but here's Rowson's thoughts from Twitter:

http://twitter.com/MartinRowson/status/691646161074180096

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Google's tax repayment – George Osborne has faced criticism over the £130m Google-HMRC deal, which sees the American firm pay just 2.77% rate of corporation tax"

Telegraph:

Food wristbands scrapped for Cardiff asylum seekers

Independent:

Times:

Sperm whale deaths: Fifth whale washes up in Lincolnshire

Mail:
Mac on... the woman who claims she accidentally put the 'winning' £33million lottery ticket in the washing machine

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Denmark seizing refugees' assets – Danish police will search asylum seekers on arrival and confiscate any non-essential items worth more than £1,000"

Telegraph:

Migrant crisis: EU seeks more controls for Schengen borders

Independent:

After Eriksen.

Times:

Dad's Army film out soon

Mail:
Mac on... Beached sperm whales in Norfolk

Guardian Sport:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's migrant jibe – Jeremy Corbyn accuses David Cameron during PMQs of shameful behaviour and of demeaning his office after the prime minister referred to people in camps at Calais as a ‘bunch of migrants’"

Telegraph:

Google tax: David Cameron defends £130m UK tax deal

Times:

Mail:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Niric posted:

Or reading British Political Cartoons 2016: He's A Condom, We're All hosed

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the UK's tax agreement with Google - George Osborne repeats his claim that the deal is a ‘major success’ despite a widespread backlash against the £130m agreement for being too lenient"

Telegraph:

EU referendum: UK 'closes in on EU in-work benefits deal'; Is this lottery ticket worth £33m?

Independent:

Rouhani in Europe: Italy covers nudes for Iran president

Sale of Lloyds shares to public delayed by George Osborne

Times:

UK to give sanctuary to unaccompanied refugee children After Cruikshank.

Because Mac only does ugly wives and hot prostitutes. Nothing else lives in his universe.

Mail:
MAC ON...school's pyjamas policies

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Angepain posted:

fill in the blank to describe a group of people who the Telegraph want to see suffer:

______ERS

Workers. :ussr:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Cameron's EU negotiations – Britain and Europe are moving towards a breakthrough in David Cameron’s quest to deny EU citizens working in Britain tax credits and other benefits for up to four years" Also Land Rover Defender Solihull production ends

Telegraph:

Cecil Rhodes statue to be kept by Oxford University college

The i paper:

David Cameron accused of trying to deflect attention from Google tax row with 'bunch of migrants' remark

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Google's sweetheart tax deal explained - Chris Riddell on the internet giant’s £130m payment arrangement with HMRC"

Sunday Telegraph:

Revealed: Jeremy Corbyn 'showed off' naked Diane Abbott to impress Left-wing friends (in 1979.)

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the EU referendum – A senior Tory has urged Eurosceptic MPs to show integrity and vote to leave the European Union, as David Cameron prepares to hold a crucial meeting to finalise the renegotiation of Britain’s EU membership terms" Also Obituary: Sir Terry Wogan

Telegraph:

Children in Need

Independent:

Cameron attacks race bias in courts and universities

Times:

Blankety Blank

Mail:
Mac's personal tribute to his friend Terry

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Cameron and Tusk's latest talks – President of the European council has praised progress in talks on terms of UK’s membership, but added that there are still outstanding issues"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Kids Company: MPs say 'catalogue of failures' led to collapse

Guardian Sport:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's EU negotiations – David Cameron’s haggling with the EU has been about reliably parochial, and sometimes petty, concerns"

Telegraph:

Draft EU deal: What Cameron wanted and what he got

Times:

After Degas.

Mail:
Mac on... Sir Terry Wogan

'Top of the mornin' to you. I'm absolutely banjaxed!... I thought I was coming here for a rest!'