Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

JK Fresco posted:

They contract to a background check service that they secretly own and that consists of 3 interns searching for names on Google and lexisnexis

Interns are unpaid but gaining valuable "experience" in a innovative and disrupting environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

online polls are bullshit, also even if it was a 50.00....000001% favor in No, musky would go "clearly sjw lib bots"

It's this. He'll review the data and say it was mostly bot accounts that voted no. Clearly the people want Trump reinstated so he's back!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope someone sends him the same email with the same code every week and sees how long it takes Elon to notice, if ever.

Elon can just have one of his engineers write some code to scrape these emails into an excel file and highlight the duplicates. Oh wait...

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Morrow posted:

Tires are still technology, I'm waiting for a tech genius to try to reinvent them with smart tires that are ten times more expensive and are occasionally burst into flames.

The flames are to melt the snow and ice and get you traction against the road again. Unfortunately, we're having trouble getting them to work in cold weather. They go off all the time though if you accidentally spill a little gasoline on them though, so you can keep that as a backup plan.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Needs to spend more time reviewing CS:GO/CoD:MW game chat logs so it can call us all the cheating slurs under the sun.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Neito posted:

The only hash-power forcefield I need comes with a blowtourch and a glass nail.

I recommend getting a water pipe and a banger :2bong:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

I for one look forward to the day when I can be fired entirely by computer control with no human oversight.

I look forward to the sweet release from this meatbag existence when our future AI overlords no longer require us.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

A lot of the budget prolly goes towards making sure missiles get delivered to the right places. But even then they tend to hit harmless wedding parties so who can say if it’s a budgeting issue.

The wedding party was within the error ratio so they meant to hit it :colbert:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

A world where every vehicle is driverless is a world where a state-level actor can and will eventually cause apocalyptic levels of damage by attacking those systems.

Imagine if even 1% of the vehicles in the US were to start accelerating as fast as possible while sharply turning left and right at random. How many tens of thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands if not millions of injuries would happen in the US due to that? Does anyone really think auto makers, especially clownshows like Tesla, have those systems sufficiently protected or the willingness to spend billions preemptively to ensure that safety exists?

Pretty sure this is already a potential threat for existing modern cars.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nenonen posted:

If you are going to a curve @100km/h and only at that point realise that it might be slippery, what is it good for?

:quagmire: God help me

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

These systems already exist without AI. Not everything needs to be AI.

:siren:NON TECHBRO DETECTED:siren: Do not be alarmed. A gift has been dispatched to the origin point of this post. Please do not move until it arrives.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Tnega posted:

Personally I like it, even if in my :911: brain I question how a robot is going to go up 3 flights of stairs to deliver my 60 bottles of water.

I think jetpacks would be sufficiently :911:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Humphreys posted:

Can we have a non-twitter explanation pelase?

I guess the board got a bug up their rear end about Sam deviating from OpenAI's stated mission and then hosed around and found out what happens when you piss off billions of dollars of capital.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Sagacity posted:

Great, because if Bitcoin mining taught us anything, it's that we desperately need more technology that requires a shitload of energy to run, and where 99% of the usage of said technology is frivolous.

Speaking as someone that lives in the high country desert along the Columbia River in Eastern Oregon, we've got plenty of unused land, river water, and a predominantly sunny and windy climate year round. Just throw up some more solar farms, wind turbines and data centers out here!

It's actually starting to turn into a bit of hub out here as development continues in this county of 80,000 people. Amazon's got 2-3 data centers in the area and more companies are beginning to site stuff.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Or we could create a national grid and burn less oil and coal ... but what do I know?

I mean yes, I'm just saying it's a good site with renewables.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We can all thank Sam Altman for nearly a week of entertainment, I suppose. I note that the new board is all-male.

Don't forget this lil guy who made it all possible

He looks exactly like the kind of grognard who could huff enough of his own farts to convince himself he had to stand up and save humanity and end up out on the street afterwards.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

America Inc. posted:

The second best pick to Henry Kissinger if the company's goal is to bring about human extinction.

W r t NFL, my big money idea is to put the players in motion capture suits and turn them all into Pepsi Man on the TV.

Change the ball carrier to the Kool Aid man and the first down line into a wall for them to burst through.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Suck my series of tubes

Not until you help me reorganize my storage drive and empty my recycle bin

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

When the dreams became me flying a battle cruiser from StarCraft 2 around, I knew it was time to start smoking weed again.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

what if my dream resolution is fine but but i have othe rissues like fps, screen tearing or shaders not loading?

Have you tried installing the latest drivers?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

fellas is it weird to (checks notes) play games with peers to have fun?

The part about having fun is weird.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's like that Chinese investment company that was wildly known as a ponzi scheme that the Chinese government let exist for some reason and it became one of the most popular investments in the country because everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme and was convinced that they would be one of the smart ones who knew when to get out to get some free money off the idiots.

Everyone knows that bitcoin is for suckers and tons of people are going to get left holding the bag AGAIN, but I'm going to get in and make money off of the suckers because THIS TIME I'll get out at the exact right moment, unlike those other rubes.

As someone who got in and out at the right times in 2021 and made ~30k (got into my house!), don't try it. The loving stress watching that account bounce up and down and the chance to lose everything is just not worth it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

BRJurgis posted:

Wonder where that line is, where gadget is bad.

It all started going downhill with the spread of Java.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

The automatic seat on my self checkout broke again :(

Mine's saying it's out of cyan :(

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

My Subscriptions tab is primarily how I watch YouTube, but I keep up with everything I subscribe to and still want to watch more, so my recommendations are also pretty important.

Sure thing!

Ancient Man: North 02, Stefan Milo
Animals: Animalogic, BBC Earth, Bizarre Beasts, Henry the PaleoGuy
Ecology and Geography: Atlas Pro
Paleontology: Ben G Thomas, Edge Science, Moth Light Media
Space: Cool Worlds, V101 Space
Various: Kurzgesagt, PBS Eons, History of the Universe, The Royal Institution, Seeker

Always looking for recommendations on my end, too.

Legal Eagle does great long form videos on the legal aspects of various current events
Institute of Human Anatomy if you want to learn more about the gross poo poo you're made of and how to improve it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nervous posted:

Legal Eagle does great long form videos on the legal aspects of various current events
Institute of Human Anatomy if you want to learn more about the gross poo poo you're made of and how to improve it. You can cram more Skittles and Code Red down your gullet if you get off your rear end and move around

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

i dunno, the problem seems to be between the keyboard and chair.

But I made sure to turn my monitor on this time.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

If companies could project ads on my windshield and rear view mirrors or make me watch three commercials before I could start my car or even open a door to a building or a restroom, they would.

Give it a few more years and I'm sure we'll hit the point where you need to watch a 30 second ad in order open your fridge.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Weatherman posted:

Why tf did they connect their washing machine to the internet, is the question they should be asking

They should, but I really am curious what sort of data it's recording that would need 3.6 gigs a day. Is it recording audio the whole time?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

This is pretty similar to the scenario imagined by Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. Cheap body actors getting implanted tracking nodes working in haptic booths that take on digital VR personas based on gigs that come into the agency.

The Diamond Age is a fantastic book and I would encourage people to read it.

Edit: Cryptonomicon was so good and have some great analogies for how early encryption developed and works. Such a cool book beyond that to. I read it and The Diamond Age back to back.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

-40 C or F?

Maths have taught me that this is the intersection of reported C and F :science:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Mine's in a little lockbox attached to the house. I keep the key for that lockbox inside :dumb:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nenonen posted:

When I was a teen once we had some family come over and sauna was warmed up and afterwards all of us were outside chilling, it was summer but still cooler than room temperature. Some of us were clothed and some still just with towels wrapped around us. Then we realized that we had locked ourselves out and no one had a key. We also didn't at that time keep a spare key outside.

Luckily a tiny bathroom window had been left open to let the heat and moisture from the sauna vent out. As a kid I was small enough to fit through, so I was pushed through head first and held from ankles till I reached the floor with my hands so I could be released and then go open the door.

So there's another option for you!

Not at all the same thing but you're story reminded me of the time my mom and dad put me in a lifejacket, tied a rope to it, and tossed me off the boat to go save my dad's hat that had blown off. I was successful :)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Now add the twin .50 cals

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

This is actually how I get most of my books nowadays (i.e., through Libby), and then I read them on my Kindle. Kindles have ads on the lock screen unless you pay $20 to get ad-free reading.

I have a kindle touch from like 2010 that I really need to figure out how to get it to talk to stuff again. None of that poo poo on it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Sounds like we need an intelligence alignment chart.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The last time I took a taxi the guy was drunk and stopped in the middle of the highway, but the last time I took an uber the guy was drunk and jumped an island, so who can say if it's good or bad

In summation, getting into random stranger's vehicles is a land of contrasts.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Back Hack posted:

I have no idea what her argue was, but lithium EV as there now are bad for the environment, not because of the technology itself, but because business practices behind EV vehicles.

NASA can't come out with that new Sulfur battery soon enough IMO.

It's ok, we discovered more lithium on tribal lands in the US, so we get the opportunity to steal from the natives again.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

predict the next word in this sentence:

"we should launch the..."

Spanish Inquisition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

JFC. I'm thankful I only have to pay around .08/kwh.