Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

I got 6 streetpasses today and none of them showed up in the demo to join the rebuilding effort, what the hell? I'm pretty sure in the first game it was any streetpass, not just people playing the same game, am I misremembering?

It's people playing the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

My copy arrived today and I just started playing. The first thing the game does is spoil everything about the first one, so if anyone was thinking about playing Second before Default I really wouldn't recommend it.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Kin posted:

My copy arrived today too, i've not touched the demo yet (i forgot about it) but gfaqs says there's stuff that transfers over and also from the completed files of the first game.

Is it worth me quickly firing through the demo to get this or is it not really worth it and i should just jump into the main game?

The demo is fun, but if you already have the full game you should just jump into it and you won't miss much.

Just to clarify: the demo is "canon" but doesn't tell you anything important and is barely referenced in the main game as far as I know.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

The website says that Yu's wearing the onion knight. I'd guess Magnolia's in the Knight and Edea the Minstrel?

I think the Minstrel's Garb is the one you could buy for Ringabel in the first game. You get the same one for Tiz I think.

E: This one.

DoctorX fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 26, 2016

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

NLJP posted:

Did anyone find the rumored monster that's good for grinding in the demo? It says it's in a 'special place' but I beat Baal without finding it.

It's the chompers that appear on the western beach. They hit hard and run away, not worth it IMO.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Dunban posted:

One of the early tutorial quests asks you to kill a goblin to expand its bestiary entry - but where do you actually find them? I've had dozens of battles outside the city and in the forest and I haven't seen a single one.

They're just outside the first town actually. They're kind of uncommon though.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Kin posted:

There's a special menu on the main title and i've read there's a completely separate thing from the demo.

That's for redeeming dlc codes if you're talking about what I think you are.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Kin posted:

Ah, cool. What i'm talking about is the freelancer costumes mentioned here http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/740205-bravely-second-end-layer/cheats

I think that's only for the Japanese version, since it lets you register your games in a Square-Enix account of something like that and that's how it checks if you have played BD.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

At first I thought it was stupid. Then I tried it and played for like an hour.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I obviously wanted to side with Chapter 1, Side Story 2 spoilers: Kamiizumi, but a friend of mine told me if I did that I couldn't get a summon spell without doing a whole new playthrough?
I'm only on chapter 2 now though, so I don't know if they're going to pull a timewarp or NG+ or something on it, so my friend might actually just be a pedant.

According to a walkthrough on GameFAQs:

quote:

Author's Note: It is recommended to get the Swordmaster Asterisk first. The reason for this is because the final summon is only available for the player if you defeat Mephilia on Chapter 5 or later. if you decided to get Summoner Asterisk now, you won't able to get the final summon unless you want to miss out on the Swordmaster Asterisk. This way it will save your multiple playthroughs.
Note: Many players that have obtained the Summoner Asterisk, seems to have encounter random game crash when using Summon under certain conditions, avoid using them if you don't want to lose your game progress.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

The Job level cap is 10 I think (it was 14 in BD). I assume the regular level cap is still 99.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

The only reason to level up Freelancer early is to get skills that let you do things like see how many chests there are in a place or avoid traps and hazards in dungeons. These are more useful at the beginning since you have free skill slots. Later you'll probably want to use those slots for better skills.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh my god, the way they introduce the encounter rate setting.

For a moment there I wasn't sure what the hell was happening, and then the tutorial box popped up and I couldn't stop laughing

I love that Tiz basically used the Force.

Substandard posted:

I ended up quitting the first game after 40 or so hours Sometime shortly after you have to start redoing everything yet again.

I'm trying to figure out if I should bother going back to actually beat it or if I should just play this instead.

Am I missing anything huge if I just skip it?

You won't miss anything if you skip it because when you start Bravely Second there's an intro that spoils everything (and I mean everything) that happened in Default. So if you wanted to go back and finish it at some point after playing Second you would already know what happens in the true ending.

I don't really like the way they spoil everything. I guess maybe there's a reason, but so far (I'm still in Chapter 1, I just got the Catmancer asterisk) it doesn't look like Bravely Second's story is related to Default's in a way that justifies all that exposition at the beginning. They could've just said "these four people saved the world" and leave it at that.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Updated the album I made for the buyable outfits, cost and location to include the 4 new ones I found. I've made the location of these (presumably, hopefully) last ones vague but you won't miss their location when you get there.

http://imgur.com/a/A3Gk1

One of the names is almost certainly a mistranslation or a poor one.
It's an outfit from Default that was called "Edea's Garb" called "Vestal Garb" in this one.

I went back to Default to check that quickly and drat, the UI in that game looks pretty rough compared to Second's. Surprisingly so.

So preordering the game on the eShop basically just gave you costumes you unlock eventually anyway. Sometimes I hate Nintendo.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wizard and Hawkeye are both great. I really like how Spellcraft affects seemingly every kind of magic, making for some really creative usage of spells.

Astrologian, though, seems pretty unimpressive to me. Am I not seeing proper potential for it, or is it as underwhelming as I think? Maybe it gets good passive abilities? I also haven't really used Exorcist, either, though I imagine it'd be good for maintaining MP with Undo MP.

Exorcist is good for healing because you can use Undo HP to revert to full HP even after a KO. In the full game it has a passive skill that uses 1 slot and gives the character 30MP every turn. I just got Exorcist and I'm using that with Wizard's Full Charge to do +50% damage every turn.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, good to know, thanks.

I'm still a little "eh" on that, but it sounds like they're handling it a lot better.

Also it's not really a loop in the sense that you don't do the same exact thing over and over again. It's integrated in the story in a way that doesn't make you feel like you're repeating anything.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Fully completed the demo. Wish I could snag some street passes for it in the meantime. The demo has to be in sleep mode in order to catch people, right? I can't play something else and get Bravely Second villagers?

It only has to be in sleep mode for the town to get built. You get villagers via Streetpass the same way you get things for any other game.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I don't think we need to spoiler tag the stuff about Alternis and Ringabel since that's from Default and literally the first thing Second does is spoil everything spoilable about the previous game. So even if someone didn't play Default, they'll find out about all that as soon as they start Second.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Retcon posted:

Chapter 5 spoilers:

poo poo, that was a really cool way to progress to Chapter 5. It was obvious enough that I had a strong hunch what I had to do when Yew told me to go back but I still felt clever when I figured it out. Having to do all the sidequests again is annoying, but at least it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as the last game with the repeated content so far.

The sidequests are way shorter now that you have already explored the dungeons and the characters know what's going to happen, so it's okay.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Rangpur posted:

And to those of you who speak French, is "La vache! " actually an obscure slangy expression of shock, or can I expect Magnolia to continue pulling random exclamations out of her rear end?

In Japanese she speaks English and says "good gravy!" instead of that. Except that one time she was so shocked she said "bad gravy!" instead.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

nerd_of_prey posted:

Is there anyway to stop brilliancy wiping me out? Occasionally I survive it but most the time it gets me!

I think I used Calm when I saw it coming. You can also use Raise/Araise Mist or Reraise Blast.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

does doing the demo give me any kind of like, bonus story or items? i can't really get it easily at the moment so i'm hoping it's like the first game and it just gives you a few items when you start

Yeah, it's exactly like in the first game.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Regarding returning asterisks: Is there any reason I should choose __Thief___ over Red Mage my first time through the game? I could really use the latter's talents with some of my other classes, but I'd like to know if the former will be worth not having the latter.

What Josuke said and also Red Mage is really useful for most of the game if you combine it with Wizard. By the time you get another chance to obtain it, it won't be as useful.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Summons, is it just me, or are the Anchorites a lot less damaging this time around?

I think they are. In Default I had to change my equipment in order to survive them while in Second they barely scratched me.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Wow, the intro to this game really does spoil literally everything from the first game.

Yeah, and it wasn't really necessary. Most of the story has nothing to do with Default.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Yeah, you really need to pay attention to the name of the attack to avoid screw ups. My listed attack is a 9000 damage Aero-Aero Hammer, so don't summon it against anything that absorbs Wind or has a stupid-high physical defense.

Let's talk about Ba'als: for Turtledove, is there anything at all you can do to prevent or cure the 'besotted' status? Because if it ever hit more than one person I would be completely hosed. Also wondering whether anyone knows if a Ba'al's level changes their drop/steal tables.

e: seriously, get Revenge and Damage Dispersal on all your dudes ASAP, I just had a perfect 10 streak chain in Grapp Keep thanks to those passives and Precognition/Whisker Sense.

If you can use Calm right after it inflicts that status, when it does the other atack to kill the besotted characters no one will die and they'll go back to normal.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Eddain posted:

I accidentally (spoiler for Ch3 job choice chose to side with the Dark Knight instead of the Time Mage and it autosaved right after the battle, so now I'm stuck with this lovely rear end Dark Knight job instead of what I wanted). I wish it didn't only use one save file.

I think that's the last choice, so you should be able to get the other one soon.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

So, I just got done with the last sidequest, and I've got a gameplay question.

How do I raise my job levels to 11? I tried killing stuff like usual, but anyone at 10 isn't gaining any more JP for me.

I don't think this has been answered yet.

The last job you unlock has a passive skill that unlocks job level 11 when equiped. Once you reach that level in a job, you keep it even if you unequip the skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. Can you do it in Chapter 5 if you pick Summoner first?

Maybe, but unless they give you better katanas, they're pretty useless at that point.

• Locked thread