Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four

The Bananana posted:

Hello friends,

I'd like to show off my fancy new AV, artwork and inspiration courtesy of very cool poster Saint Isaias Boner.

If you take something cool, and then make it way more cool how can you argue with that? I knew SIB did great work on "old" CYOA books, but I didn't know SIB was that multitalented! Everyone wins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Scathach posted:

I'm just full of vinegar chips.

Congrats on being full of deliciousness!

Twenty Four

Fanky Malloons posted:

Ugh, something happened to my comfy AF office chair and now I can't lean back in it, making it marginally less comfortable and CONSIDERABLY LESS CHILL :argh:

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Pull out on that one lever. Or maybe push it in?

Yeah that happens to mine sometimes and I panic that it is broke forever but then I remember you just jiggle that lever back and forth a bit and thats the ticket to lean back town.

I hope that is all it is for you too!

Twenty Four

Piso Mojado posted:

theres only room for one floor around here :colbert:

The floor is where you are headed when I'm done with you buddy!

I mean, I filled up the air mattress and put a spare set of sheets, a blanket, and some pillows out. Let me know if you need anything. I hope you have a good night!

Twenty Four

Munchables posted:

I present our catte. Her name?Cat. Or Kitten/Kitty.

(My mom and sister call her Luna/Loon but I think that name is dumb)

Just going only off of the letters visible in your picture, and comming up with something, you could call her-

Pot Head

Pecs

Scar

Rotten

Dope

Foot

Diaper

Space Cadet

Cotton

Peace

I could keep going but, hey!

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 29, 2017

Twenty Four

Using no letter twice, I just saw "Catastrophe" which seems like a great cat name, because it starts with Cat. This is a great game, but some of the letters are small.

Someone do better!

Twenty Four

I definitely saw "A pot head" there. Took me a while to figure out it was "Apothecary."

My first take was that too but I figured leaving out the "A" was a better name. I had to search through the other leters in the pic to find a "d" and thats what started me off on my journey!

It's like scrabble or boggle or those picture games, but for cat names with the letters in the picture!

Twenty Four

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I am back from my punishment for seeking the sandwich secrets. Also I found out which coworker took my soup. I thought of informing my souperiors, but I think I will let the idea stew some more.

souper post

Twenty Four

Renegret posted:

hot dang

my gf is a -6.75 and she's legally blind without her tacts

-7.0 reporting in with a slight astigmatism to boot, been this bad pretty much my whole life. it suuuuuuuuuux

literally can barely do anything without contacts, glasses are too heavy to wear for very long without getting a headache and are basically just used for "get to the bathroom to put contacts in"

On the flip side at least I live in an era where contacts exist, so thats good. My vision is almost normal! (I can't stand the contacts with the bumpy weight in them that fix the astigmatism so i think thats why i see lights and lit up signs and some things kinda double and a little blurry and just deal with it, still way better then the blindness of no contacts)

Twenty Four

Well, maybe the technology has improved (it probably has) but when I got checked years ago for lasik I was told I wasn't a candidate because there wasn't enough eye meat or whatever in some places for them to carve up with the laser and work with.

It was pretty expensive then too, but maybe it has gotten cheaper?

Twenty Four

3 grand is a ton of contacts, but the convienience sure would be nice! There is also the chance of your eyes getting worse, and still having to just wear a lesser prescription down the road.

Oh and I guess a point of reference as far as contact talk goes for people going "huh?"-

Near sided (when you can't see far away, or in my case bad enough that "far away" is more then a few inches) prescriptions go in -0.25 increments from -0.25 (not bad) up to I think -10 (super super bad). Most models of most brands don't go past that so I guess you would have to get custom made after that? Maybe some models go higher?

Most peoples prescriptions is around -1.0 or -2.0 or less. If I remember right it is measured in magnitudes so going up (more negative) is exponential. Lots of optometrists don't carry much in stock past around -5. Whenever I ordered from the optometrist I would tell the person at the fron desk "I need to order some -7.0" and they would say "You mean -0.75?" and I would say "no, -7.0" and they would give some sort of suprised look and tell me they would have to order them.

Also last time I just ordered online from lens.com and it was like half price of anywhere else for my normal brand. I was nervous because they were so much cheaper but no problems other then shipping was a little slow.

Sorry for my long boring post, but I'm bored and felt like typing. If anything the lens.com tip is good I hope!

Twenty Four

Renegret posted:

That was not boring it was very educational. I just got my first pair of glasses about a month and a half ago and I had no idea what they were talking about with this -.75 stuff.

My GF met her BFF through college when, during a fire alarm in the middle of the night, she knocked her glasses off her end table and couldn't find them. She Velmaed into the hallway where she bumped into a random person who helped her find her glasses. I'd say 3 grand is worth it from both a quality of life and a safety standpoint. What if there was a real fire?

I mean if you're not eligible that's one thing, I just think it's totally worth the cost.

Thats a pretty good point. I haven't had that happen, but having sudden contact trouble while driving is pretty scary. And yeah I wasn't eligible years ago but maybe they have figured out how to do it now? The price is still an issue though, especially with some pretty necessary big purchases comming up for me that I also can't really afford.

alnilam posted:

Yeah "normies" don't really understand this, glasses are a pretty unpleasant option for those of us with crazy bad vision. They're heavy and more importantly the lensing makes your peripheral vision all distorted so it's even kinda disorienting. You can get used to it but even then it's kinda annoying, makes you feel kinda funny and makes you have to turn your head more to look at stuff
Hooray for contacts!

I can relate to all of this. Even with titanium frames, lightweight super ground lenses, and having the lens edges laser cut down or something, glasses are still super uncomfortable and things like "looking left or right with your eyes more then a little bit" isn't really in the cards. I'm pretty used to the peripheral distortion though since my eyes have been garbage pretty much my whole life, even though it was untreated until I got to school. I was one of those "can't read the blackboard from the front row, even though I know how to read" stories.

If it wasn't for modern optics though, I don't think I would have been able to hold any of the jobs I have ever had, so yeah, hooray for contacts!

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

Good for you, I'd be legally blind and probably dead from a magoo scenario gone wrong, i can't even see if a car is coming to cross the street

Yeah your prescription is pretty close to mine. "Just using your eyes" isn't a thing we can do. Like I can't really walk around safely unless I am in a familiar place like in my house where I know where things are, and even then I can run in to things. "Who left that chair pulled out dammit?"

The best way to describe it I think is that I pretty much just see a blur of colors, and can sometimes make things out when I already know what it is. "Thats the television because thats where the television always is." "What is on?" "Uh, sounds like baseball?"

Twenty Four

Bad Eye Chat - doing things by feel a bunch and leaving things in specific places so you can function.

Like I am sure lots of people do this stuff but it is probably because of habit not necessity.

- Put the remote in the "remote spot" and can turn the TV off or change the volume after just waking up. Using the channel guide to pick a different channel? No chance!

- Get drunk or whatever, go to bed, wake up, and reach for where you normally place your glasses that aren't there, then you panic and just stumble into the bathroom to put your contacts in via muscle memory so you can find your glasses, or have to ask for help finding glasses.

- The shampoo goes on the left and the conditioner goes on the right. *Goes to take a shower and first thing dumps a bunch of conditioner on head and doesn't realize it until it obviously doesn't feel like shampoo in your hair* *sighs, someone moved my shampoo and conditioner to different spots again*

The last couple doesn't happen a bunch but it does make me appreciate the shampoo and conditioner bottles that are different colors, or where one is upside down from the other.

I'm not even that old, just unlucky and my body is conspiring against me!

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

getting some epic prank ideas here :twisted:

I mean, I like you, but maybe I am better off that we don't live together. lol

Twenty Four

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

just have one of those days where you condition but dont shamppo

People do this?

Edit - I mean I used to work with a girl who used some hair oil and didn't really wash her hair and it still looked amazing and smelled nice but I don't think it was a "just use conditioner only" thing. I think that would just make my hair too greasy.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 6, 2017

Twenty Four

Yeah the long hair is there and has been almost forever, part of why I am even more confused.

Edit - eye and hair chat, sorry, I will keep this topic going in the shower, where I am going now to wash and condition and deal with contacts.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 6, 2017

Twenty Four

Pretty straight, sometimes just a little wavy depending on weather. Speaking of weather, I think you can get away with more if you don't live where it gets hot as hell and pretty much just have to.

Twenty Four

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah more often in the winter, def

even still, some days it just wants conditioner instead of shampoo. just one of those things you get used to (or not)

Ah, hmm, opposite where I am now I meant, where winter is pretty mild, and summer is basically one of the worst circles of hell and we already hit the 90's a month ago and the 100s are maybe this week or next and the 120s arent impossible this summer.

The showers, shampoo, and all are basically mandantory on an "I went outside today" basis. At least if you want to be presentable around other people, which I'm down for. I do know the more you shampoo the more you have to keep doing it because your body compensates, but when it is super miserable out, there isn't much of a choice.

Different hair types, climates, and habits are always wierd and interesting to me.

I Was The Fury posted:

I also have hair

E: I promise

I believe you friend, no edits needed!

Also eye chat - taking a shower with contacts in once again has left me with burning eyes and regret, but taking them out and putting them back in would have the same result so it is a lose lose scenario no matter what.

Twenty Four

Hogge Wild posted:

reading the last few pages made me realize what's the most popular hobby round these here parts

Talking to and making friends? I'm on board!

Twenty Four

Monkeys got some wierd mouth bacteria or something!

Congratulations on still having a finger!

Twenty Four

hockey jockey posted:

Yes, will sort something out. The Kitfix is probably mid 70s, none of my houses are antique (if only!). The oldest I have is late 1940's but all the original features were long gone so I had to recreate what I could. Not valuable, but a nice shape. I'm rabid about restoring rather than redecorating and that house can only be counted as redecorated now!

Would be very interested to hear about American ones as I do know they are hugely different in style and construction.

I honestly have never been excited to see doll house pictures before, but here we are new friend!

Like, I really want to see some, even if I have nothing to add! Hmmm...

Twenty Four

Manifisto posted:

the kitten of damocles alludes to the imminent and ever-present prospect of chill and friendship in the yob

the spinny images represent . . . hmm well h*ck I forget their significance I just like to watch them go

we're not real complicated here, but we're glad you'vs stopped by!

Arrhythmia posted:

do you think anyone has every watched the pictures spin around, all the way around, until they were where they started

Munchables posted:

I have and it is liberating

Confession time - I have heard of the spinning immages plenty of times but, I still don't know what it looks like.

I'm guessing it has something to do with my old computer with an old OS that refuses to support modern software, but for whatever reason, images do not spin for me so I have never witnessed this phenomenon.

I do not know if this is good because it might irritate me, or if it is bad because I might enjoy it. :iiam:

Twenty Four

I know in the other thread you said a mouse moved in to one of your doll houses when you left it in the basement, but this is just getting out of hand!

Twenty Four

hockey jockey posted:

City of Glompton had the squatting mice. Mine are legitimate homeowners.

Ah dang sorry my bad, I just thought it was funny!

Silento Boborachi posted:

they're barely squeaking by

lol

Looks like they have plenty of food on that table! Then again, I heard leaving food out can attract mice!

Twenty Four

gnarlyhotep posted:

Hi yobbers, just saw your banner ad, wanted to say hi

(not sure if "yobbers" is still PC, sorry if not)

It is "PC" (posting chill)

Twenty Four

As much as I like cars/trucks/driving/etc, working on a vehicle is one of my least favorite things on this planet. If I had the money I would never do it, other then the quick and easy stuff. I would rather take a brutal asskicking then tackle an even semi difficult mechanic job, even with help. I wish you luck! Also I have a few problems with mine, who wants to come over later, I have beer and food and other cool stuff! lol

Twenty Four

Matoi Ryuko posted:

How come Brad is short for Bradley but Chad isn't short for Chadley

I call my friend Chad "Chadley". Also Chadford Chadwick von Chadingham the Third if you aren't into that whole brevity thing.

Twenty Four

gently caress My rear end posted:

im pissed that I can't go to the gym since I broke my ankle; however I got like two months off of work.... but now I'm bored out of my mind after 1.5 weeks. I've watched everything on Netflix.

Everything? I don't have netflix but a couple of years ago a friend of mine went on vacation for a week and had me house sit and I just hung out, drank, played some games, and watched UK Top Gear the whole time. Watch that, its fun, specifically the specials, and drink. Or the new Grand Tour on amazon since it is the same guys and still pretty funny and you seem to like cars with your new Hellcat. I wish I had more time on my hands, to spend with friends, play stuff, watch stuff!

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

What is treasure island in lake huron

I'll take S-words for 500 Alex. Also I have a shipment from UPS for you, I'm looking at your digital signature, and just need a payment. (this may be too many unrelated jokes held together only by Alex Trebek involvement).

Twenty Four

I've been busy throwing some cool parties and stuff, so just now catching up on byob, but about learning to drive manual transmission from a few pages ago:

When I was a kid, I knew there was a basically zero chance of my parents or anyone getting me a car or whatever, so I started saving up for one when I was young. Like less then 10 years old young, saving birthday money, mowing lawns, doing some probably illegal child labor type stuff (nothing really bad, just, not entirely on the up and up). So before I even had my drivers license, I bought a little old toyota pickup for cheap. It wasn't pretty, but it ran well.

Living in a pretty big city at the time, I went with my dad and bought it from some guy on the other side of town, like 30 or 40 miles away. Money was exchanged, title signed over, etc. Then my dad gets in his truck and says "see you at home" and drives off leaving me there. With no license, no insurance, and never having driven stick before in my life (though I understood the concept). Following me would have made sense, or getting someone else to bring it home, but nope! With well over 30 miles of rush hour city driving ahead of me, I stalled mid intersection a bunch and was pretty panicked, especially knowing if anything happened I was screwed not even being old enough to have a license and no insurance, which is also illegal here.

I made it home okay, though I had some choice words for my dad when I got there, and my mom was pretty pissed at him too. But, I guess I learned to drive stick? In retrospect I think it is a pretty funny story, and my dad is actually a really cool guy, he usually never does crap like that.

Twenty Four

nazca posted:

If only it was funny at the time...

Exactly! Younger me was terrified and pissed off, but now I think it is pretty funny, at least since nothing really bad happened.

Twenty Four

FluffieDuckie posted:

this is exactly how i learned. dad took me to the town next to ours, bought me a new car, and said "see you at home". my mom would have had a fit if they weren't already divorced

At least he bought it for you unlike me, so thats a bonus! I never expected anyone to do so, but the courtesy follow home would have been nice for both of us! Or at least not the follow up of "hell no you cant drive the truck you just bought with the money you saved up for years now! Thats illegal!" Like that one time was totally okay, tough love, but now that I want to go to the movies with my friends, nope! To be young again...

Manifisto posted:

requesting "stickshift sink or swim" gangtag

although maybe "baptism by fire" is the more badass metaphor?

*nods*

nazca posted:

It is funny now-a-days, maybe i'll tell that story to more people and see if they laugh.

:yeah:

Twenty Four

On the "stickshift sink or swim" front, the place I worked for at my second job had a van with 3-on-the-tree.

One weekend, I was going from town to town for work, and I decided to bring my friend along to keep me company. We were chatting about this and that, and he said he'd never driven a manual transmission. I looked back down the highway, and saw that there was no traffic, so I stopped in the middle of the road, got out, and told him that he might as well learn. He hesitated, and I told him that there was a car coming so he'd better hurry.

Luckily, he saw the humor in the situation, and he did a pretty good job.

A good friend. Meaning you. Also probably him!

Twenty Four

posting smiling posted:

i've heard of athletes juicing, but this is ridiculous

lol

Just sliding your feet in those filled up shoes, wiggling your toes around, juicin it up real good!

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

going to.put a mirror in the middle of this post watch

boob dood
------------------
poop qooq

boob poop dood

don't be boob poop dood

Twenty Four

Fanky Malloons posted:

HI BYOB I MISSED U

I went away to funeral school for two weeks of exams and related torture, but now I'm back and I accidentally crashed the BYOB pageant because I got excited to share a talent even though I clearly missed the sign up process. Oh well!

Also, it is my BFF's birthday today, so if you're feeling friendly plz wish her a good day and I will send her screenshots later! Her name is Anne, and she is perfect and beautiful and has really great eyebrows :3:

I used to think this, but then it just turned out that my husband's favourite thing to do is move my stuff when I'm not looking, just to mess with me. Perhaps you actually have an adorable jerk significant other that you're not aware of??

Hello Anne, friend of internet friend, happy birthday! I hope Fanky's exams went as well as your eyebrows, and your day was as great or better!

Superkroot posted:

A old picture I doodled by request.

Could be cooler though, I guess?

This is cool and pretty badass, what is it based on, if I may ask? She looks like a friend I would want if things went bad, or otherwise. I'm just gonna go ahead and put you in the same category! Welcome!

Twenty Four

Putty posted:

how do you pronounce :420:

leaf

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

does anyone know where the"completely inconsequential superpowers" thread is

Duno, I looked, best I could find was the inconsequential curses thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807620

Also the talking with neighbors thread hit the front page, duno if an IK wants to goldmine it or not

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

King of the Beach posted:

ive never tried a neti

My super sweet friend brought me one of these and some other stuff when I was super sick for a couple of weeks once and the entire concept of pouring liquid up my nose made me quickly decide I would rather be miserable and/or dead then do that.