Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Fair play, Batman and Two-Face cross country channelling Midnight Run is the sort of odd idea that I'd be inclined to check out. All the other Bat stuff sounds garbo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I've never been entirely clear on: is the whole "likes trains = autistic" meme based on trainspotters being the prototypical anoraks or autistic children loving Thomas the Tank Engine?

It predates Thomas by at least a decade.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

WickedHate posted:

That needs to go in the PYF Schadenfreude thread, just for making me imagine what Original Writer must be thinking. :allears:

I'd wager he doesn't give a single solitary poo poo. He's got some masterwork new novel out and the country's going to hell in a handbasket, I doubt it'll even appear on his radar. If anything, all it would do is provide further proof he's right about DC being creatively bankrupt still flogging a long dead horse.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Holy poo poo @ putting the Mary in Mary Marvel there.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Space Fish posted:

What kind of monkey's paw deal did Keith Giffen make that gets projects like Justice League 3000 and a Ted+Jaime Blue Beetle series, but his banter's gone to crap?

Isn't it that he was self-admittedly never particularly great at dialogue, hence asking J.M to come help him out with the JLI back in the day? Perhaps I'm mis-remembering.

Anyway, I checked out Superwoman and rather dug it, it's only Rebirth book that's caught my attention in the slightest. How come no one can see Lois' face, though, is she actually doing that goofy/brilliant Silver Age thing of moving/vibrating her head so fast it's a blurry mess?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Moore's a treasure, simple as.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Oh hey, so it's going to have its own Apollo & Midnighter. Curious how Jenny's going to work this time round. On the basis of what's happened so far, I'd imagine the spirit of the 21st century could be something really quite ugly...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Wild Storm is extremely my poo poo, even though the whole of #2 was just setup I really dug it. I may have even shuddered a tad when the penny dropped that Ivana's around, hopefully she'll get her just desserts this time.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Even on its so far perfectly regular schedule, The Wild Storm just isn't enough for me, I want more. More!

The retrieval going tits up and ensuing action scene was great but really, I could just read Jenny pootling about the world in all its various forms all day.

Nice touch with the Martian Manhunter cameo too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's Wednesday and the shops are open dude.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Guys, forgive me if I'm wrong but has it not been the BSS rule for years now - Wednesday is fair game, no need for spoiler tags. And it was past noon where I am so :shrug:. You want to petition X-O for a new rule that explicitly says nothing untagged until Thursday instead then by all means, do so and I'll comply. Otherwise please stop being moany old buggers. It's not even like any of the actual important plot stuff was revealed anyway...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

irlZaphod posted:

What's Batwoman like so far?

Terminally boring, alas.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Race Realists posted:

:lol: they look like One Piece villains

Goonmeet.jpg

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Wild Storm

Well I guess that's one way to make Swift useful...she's also the Doctor! Also Jenny's phone gag is the best party trick ever.

Still loving the series, hope it's doing okay enough to keep going as long as all involved want it to. Plus having missed out most of the stuff about the Wildcats side of things first time round, I have no clue what the deal is with the Daemons so nice to get some insight into all that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ooooh, thanks so much for taking the time to write all this. I only read Gen13/DV8 and then later Jenny-era Stormwatch onwards so never knew about any of that other stuff, just IO being mega bastards for the most part. Spartan's the headsock guy on the original Wildcats cover, right? Never would have figured he was a robot. As for Majestic, yeah, in that case I'd expect he would be massively toned down because a straight up Superman type currently sounds very out of whack with everything else. But we're apparently getting Apollo too at some point so maybe not.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

i just read brubaker's Authority: Revolution which I enjoyed. what are the authority runs that are viewed as essential? I've read ellis' and millar's and most of the post-worldstorm stuff. i hated millar's and ellis' was... okay, but i didn't think it was great or anything. v5 was alright but wildstorm got canned and that was that.

i thought brubaker's compared favourably to ellis' - the authority are such jerks in Revolution that it's painfully clear the only reason they can be considered heroes is because their opponents are given attributes which make them cartoonishly evil. 'As if I give a what the American people think. A bigger collection of mouth-breathers would be hard to find in the entire Multiverse' - a thing Jack Hawksmoor, a nominal hero, says after forcefully taking over the United States. ellis' seemed to focus more on just doing big action stories with less of this, although it was there to some degree. millar went with these kinds of themes in the most adolescent way possible, while also making GBS threads on any significance the authority characters might have - oh the us government can just poo poo out heroes more powerful than them at a moment's notice!

also, it seems like the authority really diverged from the rest of the wildstorm u and almost takes place in its own little world, aside from v5 which brought in the high and couldn't really ignore wolrdstorm. even planetary feels more integrated with the rest of wildstorm. i don't mind that - i cannot think many of the other characters in the wildstorm who would let the authority do what it does, and that conflict would get in the way of the authority stories.

edit: extend that to 'what stormwatch is worth reading', too; i've never read any.

Stormwatch from when Ellis jumps on (I want to say it's from 'Change or Die' and on all the way to the grim finale in Wildcats v Aliens) is great, I actually enjoyed it more than The Authority. That said, some of it is referenced quite heavily in his Authority run so you'll know the score on a lot of things already.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A bit like that part in Planetary where they find notGalactus' ship and slowly decaying corpse.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh! So the squares are eye overlays and not just funky space god pupils? Fancy that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

yeah, that bit with him at the end, much as it's just a teaser, made it from a solid issue to a good one. i love that he hunts with a loving l85, though it's probably inhumane (i've read assault rifles are often insufficiently powerful for swiftly killing large animals).

I do love how everyone is shafting everyone at the moment, getting smug about pulling one off over the other only for it to happen to them. Everything feels like it's building to a head, while Jenny is poised to pick up the pieces perhaps?

I wonder if there will be any sign of Elijah and chums at some point (beyond the mention of City Zero). I'd understand if he wants to keep that its own thing but it'd be interesting to see if/where the Four fit in in this version of things.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I haven't done a JL book since the bwah-ha-ha days but JL Odyssey's delightful cover and bugfuck weird team (Kori! Happy GL Lady! Er, Azrael? DARKSEID?!?!?) will have me Day One'ing this poo poo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did you try Justice League 3000?

Nah. I heard good things but I just didn't fancy the concept much, never been one for 2099/year 3000 version type things as a rule.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nessus posted:

Batman but his parents took him to see ZARDOZ that night.

I need this. I really need this.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

nofather posted:

Wild Storm was sweet. Marc Slayton, Backlash, being dark and scary. The daemonites all over, Kherans in their true forms, the Authority recruiting and Stormwatch about to wreck the world.

Agreed. Plus presumably some setup for Gen 13 as well. Speaking of which, I am also loving John Lynch played Sam Elliott.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

well, there are sure as gently caress some references to planetary in the new wild storm, even if there's no hint of the team itself and ellis has said it wont' appear.

Oooh, what else was there? All I noticed was Science City Zero and the Four style governing of dividing up of the world and its tech, and the diner that looked very much like the one Elijah used to hang out in.

Having never read any Wildcats stuff except the great Stormwatch finalé/murderfest crossover, a lot of that side of things is kinda lost on me so I didn't realise that guy was Spartan. I am really enjoying seeing all the alternate versions of the characters though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Remember when Ted and Booster hunt down a lonely, sewer-dwelling vampire to make enough cash to buy Ted a new CD player? Good times.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still loving The Wild Storm. IO and Skywatch screaming at each other (well, Bendix doing the screaming anyway), Lynch checking in on Caitlin's mom, and Jen and Doc Swift sorting out Jack's frazzled noggin (who looks like the Drummer's twin right now). It's weird, it's a slow burn yet there's almost always a standard cool Ellis action sequence each time so each issue kind of reminds me of those film score pieces where the music is arranged in a way that it's forever ramping up and escalating while essentially staying in the same key or whatever.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Wild Storm #15: Yay, more Gen 13 setup, more Bendix going mental and with the most blinging WMD ever, Jackie King planning something equally terrible, and a truly outstanding bit of body horror for Jack’s origin. Love it, the sense of increasing escalation is nuts. Wildstorm Earth makes Gotham look almost safe and appealing in comparison.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alaois posted:

also kids love swearing. they love it.

Seriously. Chances are they're swearing like troopers within a month of starting school. It's very strange to me to see each generation seemingly get so uptight and precious about 'corrupting' their little angels when I know for a fact every fucker in my year could make a sailor blush and watched stuff like Beverly Hills Cop and Robocop by the age of ten. Like, you turned out fine, why will your kids be any different?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

Gloria Spaulding is apparently way more powerful than anything we've seen in Wild Storm so far. I like that; her ascent to the darkened sky as Lynch ran away as fast as he could felt ominous as a result. The Kherubim and Daemonites seem really bizarre in this iteration of the setting. Emp, Voodoo and maybe John Colt seem relatively normal but then the deeper you go the weirder their agenda seems. Though I say Daemonites when we really don't know what they're up to. I hope it stays very tight in terms of the different narrative threads, even if there are some spin-offs. This is my favourite cape book currently ongoing and has been for a while (Mr Miracle is very good but the eclectic mix of espionage, sci fi, horror and superhero stuff in a setting I loved back in the day, especially when it was doing those kinds of things, tickles me in all the right places).

I loved Jen's chat with Angie this issue, it was great. Between her and Lynch's tour of all the people he hosed up, it feels like wonderful things are right around the corner. And, er, lots of exploding heads.

Also finally got around to reading the Michael Cray series. He's one of the characters I'm not familiar with from the original Wildstorm books but was surprised to find that his series is basically How To Murder The Justice League One By One

:stare:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
This weeks issue of The Wild Storm is pretty sedate by recent standards but I can't deny I cheered out loud at the final page reveal. Feels like all the pieces are in play now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Weird thing about The Wild Storm universe - Oliver Queen, Diana, Barry Allen, Arthur Curry and John Constantine existed in it but the Martian Manhunter is just a TV show character?!?

So given the chat with Angie, are the Daemonites kinda okay in this version then or do we still think they're wrong uns? Also, Rainmaker's dad owns.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Onmi posted:

We have spoilers for the second death in Heroes in Crisis

Wally West

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I love how the Michael Cray series played out:

He kills The Wild Storm versions of the Green Arrow, Flash, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman but of course John Constantine does just enough to ensure he survives, even if it is going to be in some godforsaken IO holding site. Even here, Conjob wriggles out of it while everyone else drops like flies around him. Perfect.

Not a bad little series overall but drat, the art was rough as hell.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If it’s anything like Ric Griffin, super surgeon, it’s exactly the same as Rick.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Woop, another issue of The Wild Storm and welp, the dominos really are all in place now so get your flicking finger ready, everything's about to go bananas. Sucks to be Miles Craven I guess.

So good to see Jenny, Jack, Angie and Shen all together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"The story so far: In the early 21st century Identity Crisis was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."