Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They patched it and fixed the damage numbers, along with debuffing some honestly broken powerful Ultra GreatSword builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Anyone know any good streamers/LPers that start today? Specifically blind. I'm planning to watch Lobos Jr. since he clowns on these games so often, is there more people skilled like that?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Man, I didn't realize how excited I was for the people coming in blind. Good on you for lasting these three weeks! Looking forward to some reactions now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but did they remove the "lose a bit of max HP after every death" mechanic from DaS2? That part was pretty annoying honestly.
It's a bit altered. Basically, assume being human is 100%, dying once sets you to 75% and that's it. But the visual representation of the bar just tacks on an extra section when you're alive.
So, rather than look like "You lost part of your health bar when you died", it's more like "You gain an extra section of health when you're not dying".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The fungus guys in Faron Keep are surprisingly prevalent. At least I think their face is a fungus?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I feel like some of the best fights in the game are on the backend this time around. The penultimate plot boss was a great challenge for me and the music was absolutely fantastic. Best take on a certain boss formula so far I'd say.

Also can anyone figure out what the gently caress happened to the giant Crystal Lizard in the first minute of this video? Like, what the hell even killed it?

DeathSandwich posted:

Man I'm getting pissed trying to get Loretta's Bone from the settlement. The item is on a corpse dangling from a tree over a cliff overlooking the church/Siegwald area. If I come up from the frost knight area and shoot at the body, it always lands on top of the cliff. If I approach it from the topside and shoot it with an arrow, it falls to the bottom and I have to fight my way though.
Hopefully you found it by now but if you haven't, you're looking at the wrong corpse. The one you're looking for is way earlier in Undead Settlement, hanging on the building near the first fat woman.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn :stonklol:
I'm gonna go and guess this is gonna be one of the bigger stopping points in the game. Figuring out parries and dealing as much damage to the phantom as he summons it are downright critical.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh man I hope parrying doesn't become a necessity. I'm getting better but still find it unreliable and dangerous to do.
It's a not necessity, but it's a great help. This boss in particular always begins the fight with a jumping attacking not unlike Gwyn, and parrying that can let you take off a good 1/5th of his health. He otherwise has an utterly relentless assault with very few openings.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ultra late game area spoiler: Utended Graves is one of the best uses of recycling areas in the whole series. Heck, they even outdid one of DS1's shittier concepts, namely having to fight the tutorial boss again except this time he's stronger. But instead of copypasting the model with bigger numbers and an AoE, what if the original boss was a chump and the real full powered one has a ridiculous moveset?
I mean, man was Champion GGundyr a good fight.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

/dumps soup on you
Well, what do you think?
Increase the estus soup. Man now I gotta look up Spanish Souls, if such a thing is around.
Wouldn't Seigneur work better here?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

You can kind of infer what they are by their actions near the end. They support in one of the boss fights, attacking you with spells identical to the butterflies in Dark Souls 1, only it's dark type magic. I think it's implied that they got corrupted and hosed up by the Dark Souls 3 world having gone past its expiration date.
I dunno, going off that and a description in a soul, these are referred to as "Pilgrim Butterflies".
And...well... we've seen some pilgrims around, haven't we?
Alternatively they are butterflies who are also pilgrims. Somehow.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

You know what weird mashup/callout From hasn't done in a souls game yet? Armored Core. I dunno about you, but I'd be down for somehow fighting a mech in a DLC.
Screw that, you want a mech in a game, there's only one choice: Lord of the United States, Metal Wolf!

I mean, they've shoehorned him as an extra boss in another one of their games, they can do it again.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll just stick with Chaos then, thanks guys!

The Really Dark Sword :v:

Really? Which one?
A JRPG called Enchanted Arms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CB0Hqigapo
You beat him and he joins your party, described as "the president of a far distant land".

turtlecrunch posted:

Just wanted to throw out something I haven't figured out yet. All the item descriptions of the corvians link them to the Painted World. But then, in Untended Graves, the corvians present are all gathered in one spot around the grave you came out of in "real" Firelink. There is a body in the grave in the UG version. The body carries the Ashen Estus Ring: "Gray crystalline ring crafted from shards. Increases FP restored by Ashen Estus Flask. Once a treasure brought before Lothric's Queen, she had it enshrined in the Cemetery of Untended Graves, so that one day an Unkindled might profit from its use."
Maybe they're just looking at that spot and seeing a similar motherly figure that is reminiscent of Priscilla?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Did some experiments, getting enemies to fight other enemies. It was kind of fun.

Crucifixition Victim vs. Mimic : They fought Victim won, kicked the mimic's rear end
Victim vs. Baby monsters : hahahaha what the gently caress do you think happened
Victim vs. Black Knight : They did not fight
Victim vs. Dark Wraiths : Wraiths won, but it was close. Probably could go either way

Mimic vs. Hand Hippo : They did not fight

Black Knight vs. Dark Wraiths : Knight won, easily. Absolutely destroyed them.
Knight vs. Ghrus : They did not fight

Wraiths vs. Crow-men : holy poo poo it was a slaughter, those poor birds they stood no chance

Black Knight vs. Victim vs. Crab : They did not fight :saddowns:

Anyone got any suggestions? I also want to get the Victim in the dungeons to fight the gargoyle on the bridge to the Capital
I wanna find an arena and put bets on these matchups now.
Can you get Lothric Knights to fight those crazy darkness/abyss serpent things?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is it true using the Separation Crystal too much will get you softbanned?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The more I think about Aldrich the more confused I get. Supposedly dude just ate people until he got so fat he congealed into horrorterror nightmare slime. But like... did nobody have any concern over their pope's eating habits? Presumably they were afraid he'd just eat them if the spoke against him but it couldn't be very hard to outrun a guy that probably can't even move anymore. And how does getting inhumanly fat equate to turning into a slime monster? :psyduck: It was also brought up that how in the hell they transported him from the Cathedral to summer home. Was he a slime blob at this point? Did he just goop his way across the land? Or was he still just a fat dude in which case... :confused:

I have so many questions.

The answer to at least one of those questions is "they put him in a box". At least that's what I think Anri is implying when she/he talks about "Aldtrich's coffin" being empty.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My first double post, drat. Sorry bout that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Looking up tests says it does gently caress all to players.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There's something off with this message but I just can't quite put my finger on what.

I'm trying to understand that icon but I can't tell what it is. Ludleth's crown? Soul of Cinder?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Can I summon an NPC for the final two bossfights, then use a Black Separation Crystal on them, so that the bosses gets higher health?
Also, random question, but if you don't free Greirat, will Patches never spawn?

turtlecrunch posted:

Well that man-serpent isn't really alone, it's just the only one left alive out of the pile of them there.
Just like the original serpents in Sen's and the Archive were Seath experiments, perhaps these ones are Oceiros' experiments before he worked things out on going dragon.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 5, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

These things were considerably cooler prerelease, when I didn't know they were awful spellcasters.
The only thing referring to them seems to be a magazine article calling them "Dirty beasts digging for souls beneath the swamp".

The Dark Id posted:

I'm going around cleaning out everything I missed the first time through. So what's the deal in the Grand Archives with the tower at the very top of the place with the winged fat knights, the giant cage hang from the ceiling beneath it, and the one Rosaria worm dude mage hanging out in the rafters? I feel like there's some weird story I'm missing up in that tower.
Since this wasn't answered, this all revolves around Gertrude the Heavenly Daughter. It's only communicated through miracles and some enemy drops, specifically the Winged Knight armor sets.
Gertrude was a maiden to the queen, rumored to be her daughter, that was visited by an "angel". This caused her to lose her sight and speaking, but despite being blind and mute, she somehow transcribed the encounter. While few people can comprehend it, those who did pledged themselves to the worship of "angels". However, Lothric's three pillars (knights, scholars, priestesses) forbade this and decried worship of them as heresy. They locked her up in the Grand Archives (the bird cage).
Presumably, the fat winged knights you see everywhere are her followers (they use Divine Pillars of Light, the miracle she created) who somehow grew wings through their faith, and they stormed Lothric Castle (their corpses are found near a lot of Lothric Knights in the High Wall, and vice versa). Oddly enough, there's feathers all over the cage, and feathers all over the arena of Lothric and Lorian.

Most of this is pretty concrete. From there, I have no clue what her final fate is. There's a charred up corpse in the cage, and the worm guy just makes no sense to me in regards to placement. The popular running theory is that she's the Dancer of the Boreal Valley, whose soul says she's from a royal family and lets you make a miracle pertaining to Gwynevere, which assumes that the Pontiff was the "angel" since he has weird wings in his second form.

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 6, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Lotish posted:

So when they said they relaxed the failure requirement for Sirris' quest, did they mean that you can talk to Rosaria enough to either respec or maybe summon Heysel for her gesture, etc? I want the sunset armor on this character, so I don't want to fail her quest yet.
What it means is that the failure condition has now become "Give Rosaria a tongue". You can do other actions safely I believe.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think you have to capitalize the word to bypass the filter.
But yes it has a lot of easy exploitations.

Binged the thread so gonna reply to some old posts, sorry about that.

Obligatum VII posted:

PS. Still searching for the proper values to make a character that looks like patches. Surely someone has managed it?
Does this help in any way? Only reference I could find.

Internet Kraken posted:

The goblet is Wolnir's skull. When you touch it, it creates a magic hallucination of Wolnir to fight. Its not actually teleporting you to the abyss and Wolnir wasn't actually a 50 foot tall skeleton man.

I think Wolnir is supposed to be a parallel of the DS2 player without the SOTFS ending. An all powerful conqueror that kicks tons of rear end and makes a big name for himself, but ultimately still slides into irrelevance as his legacy crumbles. Basically saying that all that power doesn't mean anything in the long run if you don't do anything with it to break the cycle.

Aldia and the fate of the DS2 protagonist, assuming the SOTFS ending is the canon one, is one of my biggest questions right now. The work you did with him is set up as being pretty drat important but its unclear what this actually was. I thought the Unkindled were supposed to be a result of your work but apparently an interview stated that they are just undead that hosed up linking the first flame a long time ago and have nothing to do with that.
I could swear there was a dummied out "Wolnir's Goblet" item with an appropriate description and more info but I can't for the life of me find it.

As for Aldia, well, while he's nowhere to be seen, his legacy still exists in the Grand Archive. There's a bunch of items that mention the Scholar (capitalized just like that), and while it may be a different person, Soul Stream says Scholar is the one that basically taught Lothric that hey, linking the flame sucks, don't do it. And that's kinda what Aldia was going for in the end.
Also Soul Stream was basically Soul Geyser in DS2 and surprise, that's an Aldia heirloom.

NTT posted:

Opinion: the two spider things that drop Aldrich rings are cute.
I'm amused at how much the design resembles a villain from Conan.

Also, someone earlier on asked why people were going on about Ciaran, and it seems like her swords were in the game at some point:

quote:

Golden Dual Swords
A pair of characteristically curved swords, each serving a distinct purpose.

The right is embedded with thorns, designed to wound and wither the opponent. During that instant, the left is used to finish them with its superior cutting ability. A deadly onslaught with this weapon will strike fear into one's enemies.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Deserter or not he was at least, for a time, part of Farron's Legion.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

why does this company have retard hitbox disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfSbuC5dhY

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Watching a playthrough.
"By popular demand, I have changed my weapon to what everyone has been telling me to use."
*pulls out Raw Astora GREATsword +6 instead of an rear end*

The Raw AGS just doesn't have the same ring to it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Lol, what playthrough is that,
Mis-remembered the last part of that quote but it's Northerlion's latest episode.
He's so bad but I just can't bring myself to dislike all the dumb stuff he does.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know what you're talking about, Patches is the realest gamer around.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"Oceiros the Ventriloquist King" probably isn't as good a boss name though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Ocelotte was actually a tomato.
I sure do love tomatoes.
Especially... baby tomatoes.

turtlecrunch posted:

They absolutely do not in the second phase, and you should be using his arrow aiming time in phase one to get up his butt for 10 million free hits anyway god bless
Ok, so what exactly is happening here and here? It can't just be dumb luck can it?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
We knew about The Old Hunters 5 months before that was released didn't we? Not sure about the delay for the 3 DS2 DLCs, but the lack of news is getting to me.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh sorry, I thought we saw a The Old Hunters trailer at E3.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I hate flies and fly anatomy and fly lairs and why did they have to go with flies after fleas?!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sounds like it's approximately "Crown of the X King" length from what I've heard.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I always preferred the DS2 leveling curve, it made starting as Deprived a lot more interesting, and ending up in the 100s around mid to late game was an interesting change.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Apparently it caught fire! Yeah I don't get it either.
Musta applied too much resin.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hearing about this new DLC, I'm honestly looking forward to one thing, and I think we all love it.
More poison.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also Lorian's one big exploit wasn't even a finished job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can see why the horrible amalgam that is translation idiots, localization idiots, DS lore idiots, and Reddit idiots all together would make someone unbalanced though.
EDIT: To be fair the guy claims to have lived in Japan for 10 years working on translating stuff, and there are so many people online these days that take a 100 hour Japanese course and suddenly think they're hot poo poo.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2017