Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Momomo posted:

It got some response out of me that wasn't just complete boredom, which is a lot more than most RPGS can say. The game shouldn't have gotten as many sequels as it did, but I can still appreciate them.

It's a deliberate strategy. Yoko Taro's gone on record to say that there's absolutely no way he can conceivably compete with the big titans like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (especially in Japan), so the only way to really draw interest and drive sales is to make his games uniquely bizarre in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

Please explain to me this Yoko Taro character without using the phrases 'sock puppet' or 'gleeful demonspawn.'

Taro Yoko is a Japanese game designer who's mostly known for directing action RPGs like Drakengard and Nier. His most notable feature is how flat out weird the worlds of the video games he directs are, with unique character/monster designs, unexpected revelations, and multiple endings that repeatedly change how one views the story of the game. He's admitted that a lot of this is just a marketing gimmick: he's not a big name working on a hot IP like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, so the only way he can make his games stand out and have some kind of market traction is if they're memorably bizarre enough. To his credit, he manages to handle it with a kind of Lynchian touch that makes a lot of the stuff that would normally seem like hamhanded showboating (one of the party members of Drakengard 1 is an out-and-out pedophile; another is a woman who eats babies due to her own infertility) feel quirky and unique rather than it feeling like a college freshman's first "extreme" screenplay.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 29, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Have they released the required PC specs anywhere yet? I've got a feeling I might need to stick a new GPU into the pile of garbage I've been calling a PC since 2013.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HGH posted:

What's a business website reviewing games for?

The National Post is one of the clinging-to-life-by-its-fingernails newspapers in Canada, so they've compressed a lot of departments together.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As a PC plebeian I am unbelievably looking forwards to this coming Friday. I'm glad that this game seems to be meeting all expectations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Papercut posted:

I'm glad I pre-loaded this so that I can sit here watching a "preparing to launch" window with a bar that isn't moving at all. :/

That happens with every pre-loaded game on Steam. What you're seeing right now is the decryption process Steam uses so that games can't be played until their official release date. You can get it to move faster by setting your throttling speed to "no limit," since it's using your disk instead of your network.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I found the KBM controls super awkward, it wants you to use WSAD and the arrow keys. / is heavy attack but Shift is the light attack. I'm certain you can rebind it as you see fit though, I just went with a gamepad though.

The two big problems I had with KBM were no dedicated dodge key (double tap to dodge is hella awkward and adds in an unacceptable delay when you're aiming for perfect dodges) and the manual aiming mode for the pod being total garbage with a mouse compared to a stick. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as the guy who played through all three Dark Souls titles with KBM.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm still trying to decide whether or not it was intentional.

Keep in mind that this game's core, overarching theme is the interplay between sex, violence, and love. What had 2B just finished doing? Or, rather, what did it look like she was doing?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Trust me, there was no intimation of some deep thought around sex happening.

No, no: when she's strangling 9S to death in a pose that's clearly suggestive of loving. There's about five or ten different ways I can think of off the top of my head to film a scene of someone being strangled to death, and you only choose that specific one if you're being suggestive to the audience. The fact that all of the YoRHa androids are total babes/studs is no accident, nor is the fact that they're all highly adept at killing while also being total babes/studs.

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 19, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

There could have been more hacking variety, though. 50 variations may sound like a lot, but it's actually only 5 basic setups with 10 slightly different bullet patterns per setup. It gets a bit repetitive.

I agree. Route B has so far been my least favorite of the routes, given that 9S has all the durability of a wet sack of paper and hacking is unquestionably a better damage-dealing option. It might just be my controller, but the aiming stick feels awkward as hell and I can never consistently get it to point where I want it to. I shamefully admit to cranking it down to Easy from Hard when I hit A2 in the Forest because of how she kept one-hit killing me and how maddening doing the same hacking patterns over and over was.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

geeko55 posted:

Has anyone had any issues getting the PC version to even boot? I try and launch it, and I've had it just crash from Background Process every time. It doesn't even seem to boot. I've reinstalled it once and verified the integrity a couple times to no real luck.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB

I'm about to roll back my drivers, as some people have said that helps, but I'm really at a loss here.

Which drivers are you using? I'm using an AMD card that's so ancient it may as well have loving cuneiform on it on 17.2.1 with no issues.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alder posted:

I thought it was because Yoko Taro liked girls? 9S looks like he's 12 yrs old lol.

Also I don't see the final strangling scene for that better as sexualized and I swear it was Kill since it's what 9S had been doing the entire time in route C

I mean, 2B's character design could be complete coincidence, but the fact that it fits the game's core theme like a glove makes me think otherwise.

I took a screenshot during my playthrough, and the specific line in route B is "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" The censorship is there to highlight the ambiguity between "gently caress" and "kill," just as the strangling scene occupies a weird liminal space between virginal "first time" sexual affection and murder.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Both 9S and 2B are drawn pretty young; 2B's maybe five and a half heads high in her heels, and 9S isn't much better. Considering that Adam and Eve look like Greek sculptures (they're somewhere between 7 and 8 heads), I'm guessing this is also intentional, but I need to finish the other routes first before saying for sure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

2b is about as tall as the other androids. she doesn't look younger than them to me at least, unlike 9s who is visibly shorter than the rest of the cast

Her facial features are rounder and slighter than the Commander's, though I haven't seen any really good shots of the other models' faces. The Operators all wear veils, so it's harder to tell.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A brief description of the current main quest appears in the bottom-left of the Map tab.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Wow gently caress fighting these flying drill centepedes forever. Jesus. The last one took me like 5 minutes.

Have you found the second Pod yet? It helps a lot with fighting the centipedes.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Memory upgrades are permanent. When you die your equipped chipset remains on your corpse and you gotta go retrieve it. If you die again (or leave it too long but I dunno 'how' long is too long) they're gone. It's not the hugest deal and I only had it happen to me once and I was screwing up bad anyway :v:

It's annoying on higher difficulties where really good chipsets (like the damage reduction ones) are immensely helpful, and the only way to get equivalent ones is to find Emil's roving emporium and tediously merge chips together back at the Resistance camp. I don't think it's particularly doing the narrative any favors to have it implemented as it is.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 19, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I got a question about ending B I started to see the credits and now I'm looking at a black screen while the ending music sorta loops. Am I supposed to do something here?

Try moving your controls around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh believe me I have been. I think the game has actually glitched out, and I will need to restart and complete route B again.

Eesh, that's a pain. What should happen is that the credits come up and you then gain control over 2B back in the Bunker as they play, where you do a short quest that leads you to route C.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Route C is a loving rollercoaster. I never thought that shooting little black orbs could tug at my soul so much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Route B being a bit tedious due to it mostly being a straight retread hides how loving genuinely great route C is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I got motivated by people looking for streams/gameplay videos that didn't have constant yelling in them and thought to myself, oh, that could be me. I'll do it. Then I died five times in the intro sequence on hard mode, spending a total of two hours on it.

I'll try again tomorrow.

The thing that they don't really explain much that trivializes most of the Shmup segments is that your definitely-not-a-Gundam's Beam Saber (X) destroys both light and dark projectiles. Assuming you're swinging it at the right time, you can completely clear the board of incoming orbs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh yeah the shmup parts I dont even get hit on, my main problems are that the boss doesn't have visual indicators for perfect dodges like every other enemy/boss in the game and I either end up eating a shitload of damage to the side-swipe buzzsaw move (both miniboss and actual boss) and then 3/4 of my deaths were to the bosses one-shot move

In general, you're more-or-less invincible if you keep dodge spamming back-to-back. It requires some precise timing, but it works great for bosses like Hegel where there's dangerous attacks flying around or where there's few opportunities for getting an attack in.

OddObserver posted:

Any hacking wisdom? I really suck at it, stuck on a plot chest in route C, too :(

A lot of the higher level hacks are about figuring out your positioning ahead of time and using that to minimize incoming enemy fire. The Arcade is handy for practicing different positions on the various hacking templates. If you really get stuck, just knock the difficulty down to Easy for that specific hack, as it makes everything die in a single blast and trivializes the minigame.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dazat posted:

I remember reading she's supposed to be totally nude aside from the little apron thing tied around her torso. Her toes are exposed, but she still has heels, which I thought was interesting.

It's a great bit of design in the context of the rest of the game. In comparison to 2B, A2, the android who's fully given up on concepts like "love," has had all of her costume's sex appeal literally slough off of her, leaving only the body of a killer behind.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

Route B: One of the things I thought was really clever was how playing as 9S with 2B following you around makes you realize how little 2B actually talks. Most of the game is 9S sarcastically commenting on things with absolutely no response from 2B. She'll occasionally say things like "What's this?" but rarely even to him. So most of Route B you're playing 9S basically just talking to himself. But even then, 9S is still like "Hanging out with 2B is so much nicer than working alone! :kimchi:"

It's a great use of perspective change, especially with how brusque the Operator is. (Route C spoilers): It also only further helps to highlight the separation that forms the core of route C. The world feels dead without the constant chatter of the first two routes, which perfectly ties in to A2's separation from other people and 9S's slow descent into nihilistic madness.

Speaking of route C: I just finished it and what a god drat great time that was. The tandem battle on the ascent up the Tower is so well done, and the story takes such a dark-but-believable twist with that arm rip. There was a genuine sense of awe that I had when A2 was climbing up the tower of 9S's memories.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 20, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally finished ending E. What a great game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dasmause posted:

English dub is really high quality especially in later parts of the game when certain characters start losing it

Kyle McCarley absolutely sells 9S completely losing his loving mind. It's hard to pull off a maniacal cackle that doesn't sound goofy, but he does it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One question that's still nagging at me (A/B spoilers): When Eve goes berserk, his tattoo completely envelops his body and he gains the mark of the Watchers from Drakengard. Is this explained anywhere, or is it just a little reference to the series' chronology?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Yeah, almost right away, you meet an android who is concerned about being a living "Ship of Theseus". I'm new to the series and have only finished Route A, but I would existential horror, and more commonly, existential dispare, are the central themes of the game. Which I dig.

This is a very, very existentialist story. The central question of this game - what it's all really concerned with - is, "What is a human being?"

(All ending spoilers ahead):

Ultimately, I think the game errs on the side of, "A human being is someone who makes connections with others." Most of the machines and the androids don't get that. They're instead obsessed merely with imitating humans: like the men chained in Plato's cave, they see humanity's shadow and think it to be the real thing. The robots dress up in masks that don't mean anything; they uselessly bump non-existent genitals into eachother; they form a substanceless religion; and so on. The YoRHa androids aren't much better: they create models of every shape that are deadly with weapons and dress like hookers, because the two things that they know humanity was obsessed with were love (sex) and violence, and they, in a cargo cult way, think that wearing sexy outfits and slaughtering thousands will somehow make them more human. It's a world of dolls playing house together, and none of them are aware of it, trapping them in a ruinously pointless war, fighting over nothing for no one.

Like in the works of Hideaki Anno (whom Taro's obviously a fan of), connections hurt. Pascal's connections run so deep that he can think only of either dying or erasing his soul when those connections are gone. 9S's love for 2B is such that he goes insane at the loss of her, something mirrored by Eve going berserk over Adam's death. A2's loss of her companions turned her into a hard, embittered woman obsessed only with killing. But it's connections that end up ultimately providing them with salvation: the connections that the Greek chorus of the Pods have made with the main cast pushes them beyond the rules that bind them. Perhaps more importantly, the connections you, the player, have made with other players, playing the same game and sharing the same experiences, propels you above and beyond the game's boundaries, allowing you to succeed where it would otherwise be impossible to do so alone. The act of being human - of connecting to others - is what gives the protagonists a real chance at being human themselves, free of the burden of their design. It's an elegantly powerful statement.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

A game where people bitterly shout things like "Your existence is meaningless!" at each other, but when the protagonists literally meet Jean-Paul Sartre they ignore everything he says.

:allears:

I think you mean ****-Paul Sartre, right?

(It turns out that the Sartre estate is obnoxiously litigious. Ol' ****-Paul probably wouldn't be too impressed.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

So at the beginning of A/B, what is required to start the main quest line? Do I have to help the shop guys?

Yes. Once you finish the item shop/weapon shop quests proper, the main quest advances.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RobotDogPolice posted:

If I have a gtx680 will Nier run like rear end? I also have a PS4.

I'd get it on PS4 if you have a choice, as that'll get you a consistently good experience without the potential for weird hardware/GPU driver interactions preventing you from playing. I played through the game on an R7 360, and while I had to set most options to Low and downscale the resolution a fair bit, the game's art direction was more than able to carry it graphically despite that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Thanks​ for the help on counter.

A few more question about Route 2:

I still don't really understand 9S's attack chains. So pausing after attacking or dodging shifts him into heavy attack mode? I'm having a lot of trouble discerning the visual difference between light and heavy attacks, but I think I got it...

What is with the gold enemies? I thought it was going to be that I needed to use 9S's gold weapons to fight them, but that doesn't seem to work either so...

Is there any reason I shouldn't just use Virtuous Contract as 9S? It's my most upgraded weapon, and 2B isn't using it because it was in her 2nd weapon set.

Is there a way to change 2B's loadout?

1) Mashing X will perform a series of combo hits. Holding down X will instead perform a strong ranged attack.

2) Which gold enemies do you mean? Differently colored enemies are usually just upgrades from a previous tier of enemies, and you might not be hurting them either due to shielding or not striking their weak points.

3) 9S's melee attacks are not especially good, even with Virtuous Contract. I'd recommend sticking with the spear and using his strong ranged attack with it, as it's really good and helps to keep him out of the thick of combat.

4) No.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

There is always a pile of people talking about performance issues and weird fixes and poo poo.

It's fine. The game is totally fine. I have a computer with parts that aren't 5 years old and it's completely flawless and actually because it's a PS4 game it's pretty light on system requirements.

If you are having problems with this game it is because you are poo poo and dumb.

It is as simple as 1) have a video card that was released in the last 5 years 2) have current drivers 3) not have five thousand stupid things running in the background.

Has the Apple revival resulted in this? Are there more Apple users than ever before deciding they might get a real PC and try PC games? The level of sheer technical retardation, mostly based around 'i have some ancient poo poo that was cheap and poo poo when it was new, but now it's really loving old and poo poo.. but I can't play a brand new game with it?! HOW IS THIS FAIR?!' is just amazing.

Games threads have copped more of this stupid poo poo of late.

Don't listen to spergs, PC gaming is actually really straightforward and easy. What isn't straightforward and easy is the way some losers go about it, basically adding complexity to justify the fact they can't talk about anything else. It's all bullshit. Buy a modern NVIDIA card, put Windows 10 on your machine with a fresh install and never post about technical issues in a game again. Or don't do those things but please stay the gently caress out of our games

Okay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I actually didn't know that about the gold enemies; that's pretty cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Route C is quite easily one of my favorite portions of any video game ever. Starts strong, runs strong, ends even stronger.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's extremely useless in the boss fight where it is introduced to you but it's really good outside of it.

I'm of the mind that this is intentional, because a large part of A2's arc is about her finally starting to care about people again and understanding the importance of connections to being human. The Pod is completely correct about Hegel: the best way to fight him is to gradually wear him down with ranged attacks and only attack the sections if an opportunity appears, something that requires her to not be a one-woman army and instead accept the Pod's help.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

edit: nm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nina posted:

More ending E thoughts
Androids in general deserve a chance to be free even if they were to muddle it up and that's the true happy ending

More or less. The Pods say it outright: there's no future given to you; you have to work hard to claim it, but the option is now there for them to reconcile and get the future they truly wanted.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Thinking of buying but a little wary of million complaints on Steam of bad performance/crashes on PC. How is the PC version, goons?

I only had a single crash during my time playing, but whether you have issues is completely (and randomly) hardware dependent, it seems. You can buy it and then refund it if you can't get it to launch for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McDragon posted:

Also are there full costume change item things at all? I really want that one 2B wears at the start of C.

You get that as a wearable costume upon finishing route C.